Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 425239 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [40.24]
« Reply #285 on: October 07, 2015, 10:20:44 am »

Holy crap, those images are awesome Bearskie!  I can't view some images from work, but if I copy and paste the post onto Google Docs, the images show up fine. :)

I appreciate the time spent, photo shooting is really time consuming.  And your final results are really great.

The names of the invaders changes because in the pre-turn save have different set of names from the cannon save.

This is the current siege list, that I hand wrote. And I refer to the screenshot capture to obtain complete names and update the list when they come into play.
I hope someday, there's a utility to sort them by squad leaders and squad members,  any even squad names.

p.s. This might be a good time to come up with a standard name to call that building.
I used "Clothing and Leather Guild" (CLG) in the story to refer to the CLG building.
I'm open for retcon changes while I'm still at it.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 07, 2015, 06:07:16 pm »

Nice photography work Bearskie. Can't believe I completely forgot about colour and dye in my descriptions of the dwarves. I was imagining all the silk clothes as white.

It's just a shame Stonesense doesn't show fat. Taupe was stick-thin and wirey last time I checked his description, and Quasar was practically spherical. Hmm... I should check again to see if they've changed at all...

Oh dear, our dining hall is an absolute mess.

Pools of blood, water and strange liquids all over the floorboards and tables, splintery wooden tables and chairs (some of Neblimes earliest, lowest quality work) with weeds growing up from under them, statuary consists of naught but a pair of crappy rock salt statues, there are stinky, flea-ridden dogs *everywhere*...

... and for some reason a rhino? Why is there a rhino in the dining room? Who let it in? How did it even *get* in through the doors? We may never know.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 07, 2015, 06:20:25 pm »

... and for some reason a rhino? Why is there a rhino in the dining room? Who let it in? How did it even *get* in through the doors? We may never know.
Oh that's the Rhino Center. We call it that because we built it while the rhino was in the center.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 08, 2015, 12:23:22 am »

Chapter 14 (Dabbling Swimmer)

Goblin Scout Squad
  • ‘Bub’ - Stosbub Smunstugoslust, Goblin Recruit (sighted in west moat)
Goblin Assault, 3rd Squad
  • ‘Usbu’ - Usbu Omagngom, Goblin Axeman (injured vs Sanctume and Tekkud, disarmed, fractured bones)
  • ‘Mob’ - Kutsmob Slazstodno, Goblin Crossbowman (uninjured, shooting from moat)
Goblin Regular, 1st Infantry
  • ‘Osnun’ - Osnun Uksossnodub, Goblin Bowman (uninjured, shooting from moat)
  • ‘Gas’ - Xuspgas Ugsnormato, Goblin Crossbowman (uninjured, shooting from moat)
  • ‘Mac’ - Nako Aturemzu, Goblin Maceman (injured vs Zefon, disarmed, draltha bone bolt in left hand)
  • ‘Ngoso’ - Ngoso Rudngom, Goblin Axeman (injured vs Taupe, left fist gores right ear)
Goblin Regular, 2nd Infantry
  • ‘Stozu’ - Stozu Utessnumno, Goblin Pikeman
  • ‘Aslot’ - ‘Aslot Omosponga, Goblin Lasher
  • ’Z-axe’ - Zolak Atusmur, Goblin Axeman
  • ‘Snodub’ - Snodub Zogaststosbub, Goblin Hammerman
Goblin Regular, 3rd Infantry
  • ’Damsu’ - Bax Axodamsu, Goblin Pikeman
War Leader Ngoso spins from the left hook and staggers back onto Tekkud which bumps Tekkud right into the moat!

Tekkud is now in the submerged ramp of the moat, and grabs at Ngoso attempting to climb out.

But Ngoso ends up falling into the water also.

Tekkud punches Ngoso in the ribs and lower leg mid fall, then dives in after Ngoso.

The tremendous splash creates a mist, with specs of goblin blood, floating in the air. Does it give happy thoughts?

Lasher Aslot’s who is swimming in the moat attacks Tekkud with a silver whip and misses.

--

War Leader Ngoso gets away from Tekkud in the water and climbs out of the moat.
Ngoso immediately hacks with her iron battle axe and missing Taupe.
Taupe steps aside from Ngoso’s relenting attack, stabs with his iron spear and punctures the right lung of Ngoso.

--

Pikeman Stozu climbs out of the moat and strikes at Sanctume who blocks the attack.
Sanctume bashes Stozu, fracturing the right hand; and bashes the head with the silver mace resulting in blood oozing out of the copper helm.
Zefon strikes Stozu in the right hand with a draltha bone bolt.
Sanctume continues to bash Stozu in the head, and this time jamming Alaknikot in the skull.

--

Tekkud is swimming away heading further to the southwest, away from the horde of goblins scrambling up the moat, and away from half of the siege still in the northwest.

--

Angus kicks Axeman Usbu who is trying to climb up the moat in the head, stunning her.

Taupe stabs Usbu in the right lower arm.

Fairybrow hacks Usbu in the head with his iron battle axe and the upper spine sail away in an arc.

--

Marksdwarf Likot shoots a silver bolt from some distance aiming for Ngoso.
Ngoso jumps away from a flying silver bolt and slams onto Recruit Bub in the water.

Maceman Mac who is struggling in the water and dives away from Ngoso’s fall.
Bub took the brunt of the impact, falls over and gives into pain in the moat.

Taupe stabs Bub in the head with his iron spear.

Angus hacks Ngoso in the leg with her iron battle axe.

--

Crossbowman Gas climbs out of the moat to the west bank and shoots iron bolts.

Bowman Osnun, Crossbowman Mob, Hammerman Snodub, and Pikeman Damsu are among the goblins in the moat nearest to the west gate.

Damsu strikes twice at Taupe from the moat, both attacks miss.
Vortex and Angus simultaneously hacks Damsu in the head.
Sanctume bashes Damsu in the head several times.
Damsu’s mangled corpse sank to the bottom of the moat.

Osnun is being barraged by silver bolts from Marksdwarf Likot.

Mob dives away from draltha bone bolts of Marksdwarf Zefon, but still gets hits in the left upper leg.

--

Osnun and Mob swims south of the west gate, away from the marksdwarves’ barrage of bolts.

Tekkud manages to remain un-hit from bolts and arrows despite being in the middle of the moat and swimming southwest.  Tekkud is now a dabbling swimmer.

--

Axeman “Z-axe” swims towards the west bridge overtaking Hammerman Snodub.

Z-axe climbs out of the moat, and swings the iron battle axe three times towards Sanctume, all miss. 

Z-axe misses an overheard chop towards Angus who scrambled away.

Sanctume punches Z-axe on the lower lip and it collapsed.
Sanctume bashes the silver mace towards Z-axe’s head and was blocked, so Sanctume bashes the left foot instead, pinning Z-axe in place.
Taupe followed Sanctume’s attack on Z-axe with a stab of the iron spear that cuts off the left foot.
The spear lodge firmly and Taupe pulls on the embedded spear.
Sanctume bashes Z-axe in the skull jamming the silver mace there.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 12:39:16 pm by Sanctume »

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 08, 2015, 12:58:08 am »

Tekkud. Of course it would be Tekkud.

I actually played this siege a few times before it passed to you, Sanctume. Every time there was any fighting near the water, Tekkud ended up in the moat. Every. Time.

I noticed her because, in theory, she's our second best combat unit (tied with Taupe as our only other megalegendary speardwarf) but she rarely gets many kills and dang if she doesn't have a thing for falling into the moat at the first opportunity. She's the most accident prone legendary+5 combat dwarf I've ever seen.

I think it might be related to her panicking when in combat? If so, it's fascinating to see how much that personality trait affects her.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 08, 2015, 01:31:27 am »

My first thought when Tekkud fell in the moat was to forum-dwarf capture her thoughts, and she was panicking indeed.  I was hoping the mist give happy thoughts in the middle of battle.

I need to figure out the settings in the announcements when a martial trance starts, because I only see the text when the trance ends.

The update tonight took a while because the name "Bax" messed me up.  There was a dead Bax previously, and my game notes shows another one and I thought it was the same until I updated the siege report.  Same confusion with Bub, Snodub or Stodbub or some such.  The troll's name in my siege list screenshot is "Zolak" but for some reason, I typed in "Zorlak."  And then a goblin has the same name too, so I look for an easier to read name off the last name of just a nickname.

Shoots, I need to hurry these up.  It will be 1 week already Thursday? 

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 08, 2015, 05:32:48 am »

I've been playing some alternate universe Breadbowl as well! Except, instead of going through the bother of trying to keep everyone alive, I just ordered every last dwarf to get their ass to the goblins and CHAAAAAARRRRGGGGEEE!

Best siege experience I've ever had so far. It's really, really fun. In fact, I might just do it as a challenge fort - no sparring, no danger room, only live training. Meaning most of the dwarves will be completely lacking in combat experience, which means MOAR GRISLY DEATHS! (They did surprisingly well though. Lost something like 20 dwarves.)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 08, 2015, 09:56:11 am »

So, 20 something loss out of 160 pop is 12.5%. Acceptable? 
That don't include the children though;  iirc, around 45 kids, so 20 / (160-45) is 17% loss.
That's like simulating StarCraft, zerg the goblins! :)

The siege is really nice to have for a v.40.  How old is Breadbowl, 5 years or so?

p.s. OCD kicks in and corrects Zorlak -> Zolak.  I think I've re-read all my notes over 20 times already.  I need to step away from it this morning, so I'll be refreshed tonight.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 04:36:48 pm by Sanctume »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 08, 2015, 08:25:07 pm »

Probably because we've been exporting mountains of Urists worth of consumables to the caravans every year. Goblins want our canapes and tapas.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 08, 2015, 11:36:14 pm »

Chapter 15 (A Maize in Field)

Earlier that week before the siege of Breadbowl.

Troll Shock Troop, 1st Pack Leader Zolak ignores the horn.  There are immediate games to be hunted for he grows quite hungry demonstrating “charge” to his pack. 
Zolak sees his pack stop and wade in the moat, waiting. 

Zolak wanders further north and east.  Chased more wild boars who disappear beyond the forests.  Zolak grows curious at the grinding noise of a stone bridge retracting and appearing again, north of Breadbowl.  But the bridge stops retracting so Zolak stops heading east. 

Zolak wades in the moat and is attracted to a ripening prickle berry bush.  Zolak swims across and ate all the prickle berries against the wall of Breadbowl.  Unsatisfied with the berries, Zolak jumps up the smooth alabaster block wall with ease.  There are fruit trees, but no fruit, except for some half-rotten fallen fruits, so Zolak eats them regardless.  It stinks of smoke here, but there is no fire.  Directly south some 30 paces away are farm plots, and golden yellow maize shone in the spring sun.  Yummy looking maize thought Zolak...

--

As the battle rages on at West Bridge, the intensity of concern focuses on a soldier falling in the moat.

ALERT!

Alert was called.  Watch sighted a troll inside the walls of Breadbowl.  The Watch had scattered earlier when Taupe last ordered everyone to Safe Indoors burrow in an attempt to move the troops away from the moat and restore discipline from battlelust and glory.

Alath reports, “a troll has been sighted inside the walls Commander.  SQman is closest to the area.  The Watch is spread out from Boneyard to CLG.”

Taupe commands, “Watch and Earthen, move north to Butcher.”

--

Zolak with incredible speed traverses the 30 paces to the farm and surprised SQman, The His Majesty’s ace hunter.
Zolak gores SQman in the head with his right horn, bruising the muscle!

SQman knowing his crossbow will be ineffective in close combat, assumes a brawler’s stance and gut punched with his right.  The troll looks sick.

SQman follows with a haymaker with his left fist, but the troll is tall so it hits only the upper arm.

Despite their close proximity, Zolak charges SQman.  The collision knocks SQman tumbling backwards.

SQman stands up and dodges a swing from Zolak.  SQman counters with a right cross that misses.  As Zolak leans back, he immediately shoves his head forward and gores SQman in the upper body with the left tusk, bruising fat.

The stench in the area noticeable grows stronger and even more foul.

Zolak who is but a hands reach away from SQman, vomits and continue to retch that quenches both SQman and the flourishing maize farm plot with bile, half digested prickle berries and rotten fruits.

--

Orders to both the Neighborhood Watch and The Earthen Assaults to KILL Zolak.  Pyro is 15 paces away but does not have direct line of sight with two doorways in between through Butcher. Olon of Earthen is about 20 paces away and a straight line run.

--

Screaming in disgusts, and dodging further attacks from the puking troll, SQMan left uppercuts and hits the upper arm.  Zolak swings his right arm and SQman dodges.  SQman slaps down hard on Zolak’s the right lower arm.

This enrages Zolak and swings wildly about.  SQMan steps back out of the way and gathered his “qi” and unleashed a right open palm strike in the upper leg causing much bruises.

Zolak swing his muscular arm again, but SQMan jumps away.

The skies are darkening, but no lightning. The air smells of pungent smoke as if it's raining piss.

SQMan enters a trance and gathers the “void” by staring at nothing but aware of everything.  Zolak's movements seems to slow down, swings with the left and SQman moves out the way to an open spot and counter strikes: punch in the foot, and elbow in the gut, and a right hook to the ear.

The sight is similar to watching a "kata" demonstration, but this is with a live foe.

Zolak does not like the feeling of being a punching bag and charges SQman off his “void.”  The collision knocks SQMan tumbling backwards. 

Zolak executes a two-handed face smash, but SQman rolls out the way at the last moment.  Zolak convulses in bouts of nausea again and vomits on SQMan’s leather shoes.  This slowed SQman’s attempt to slip away.  Zolak grabs SQMan’s left hand, and retches all over his pants.   SQman pulls away, but Zolak is much stronger and gores SQman’s neck with his right horn.  SQman punches that the right horn but the attack glances away.

Zolak grabs on the SQman’s quiver which SQman let go and step away, but Zolak charges again with the collision knocking SQman tumbling backwards.

Zolak’s right fist connected with SQmans’ chest, then Zolak bats away SQman’s right hand.  2-HIT COMBO ! SQman counter punched with the left and misses.

Zolak completes a 3-HIT COMBO !!  A triple combo of upper body, right lower arm, lower body strikes on SQMan. 

Zolak once again employs a “cheesy” strategy of charge and 3-hit combo.

Zolak charges again, causing SQMan to tumble backwards, Zolak begins the triple with a right lower leg when all of a sudden ,“C-C-COMBO BREAKER !!”

SQMan double jabs Zolak’s left upper arm while at the same time receiving the body blow to the gut.  SQman waits for the third strike but it did not come.

Olon Zonbal, "Olon Helmedtones", Wrestler (and Axedwarf)

The Wrestler (and Axedwarf) Olon Zonbal, ‘Olon Helmedstones’ of Earthen jumps on Zolak and bites the lower left arm and latching firmly.

Zolak swats a large right hand at Olon that misses, but manages to break free from the nasty bite.

Still enraged, Zolak charges Olon, but Olon jumps away.
Zolak swing wildly about hitting nothing but air. 
Olon unstraps his iron battle axe and swings at Zolak’s lower body causing bruises.

Olon aims true and hacks Zolak’s left hand off along with a large siamang leather left glove.

Zolak charges one more time and Olon jumps away rolling with ease.

Olon stand up and lunges forward and cuts off Zolak’s right lower arm. 

There is now a matching pair of large siamang leather gloves on the now furrowed maize farm plot.

SQman, redline beaten as he is, rushes Zolak with a rising dragon punch, “SHORYUKEN!” and misses badly.  Hand-less, Zolak kicks SQman on the way down from a silly jumping punch. Zolak kicks SQman’s left hand that explodes into gore!

SQMan’s left hand is mangled beyond recognition.
“Bleeding. Ability to grasp somewhat impaired.”

Now picture this hand-less troll who just kicked “SQman in mid-air shoryuken” on the left hand with its left feet.

Olon sweeps low with his iron battle axe and hacks Zolak’s right foot off along with fur sock and leather shoes.

Zolak falls over, along with SQman.
Zolak manages to grab SQman by the right thumb, using the Zolak’s footless right upper leg. but then loses the grip.
Zolak then grabs SQman’s alpaca wool dress, using Zolak’s right armpit.
Zolak gores SQman in the head with his left horn and the injured part explodes into even more gore!
An artery has been opened by the attack.
`SQman' Muthkattashem, "`SQman' Mansionpull", His Majesty's ace hunter has been found dead.

Olon Zonbal, ‘Olon Helmedstones’ of The Earthen Assault, Wrester (and Axeman), “Death is all around us.  This is truly horrifying.”
Olon swings mightily with her iron battle axe and hacks Zolak in the neck.
Zolak loses his large giant cave spider silk cap and proceeds to quench the rest of the maize farm plot with troll blood.

Crops being grown:
Maize, Potato, Prickle berries, Rice, Rye, Sweet Potato, Whip vines
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 01:08:06 am by Sanctume »

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 09, 2015, 12:36:19 am »

Holy crap. Did not see that coming.

Rest easy, brave dwarf, knowing that your sacrifice saved our sweet, sweet corn-stalks. And fertilised them, even! Y'know, with your brain.

A year from now that farm plot will grow the sweetest, largest corn on the cob. Every dwarf in breadbowl will walk past them, and remember in silence the loss of a brave hunter and brilliant tactitian. And that night they'll raise a mug of maize beer in your name, in memory of an overseer, a hunter... a friend.

Goodbye, dearest SQman. May weeping gorlaks sing you to your sleep.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 09, 2015, 01:03:26 am »

This was a very intense fight, and I too did not see it coming. 

I was focused and really concerned when Tekkud fell in the moat. 

I pause and unpause, then write my raw notes keeping track on who attacks whom. 

I did this for many hours, filling 19 google docs pages worth of raw notes just on the siege alone.

Then I saw a troll fighting report. Crap, it's inside?! How?!

Was it in the reports pages all this time and I miss it? Nopes, Frickin Zolak just got there.

My phobia about military units not wearing metal helms come and bite me in the arse.

Play it out, there's a chance. C'mon SQman, disengage.  Nopes, SQman goes Ryu / Ken on Zangief / Blanka.

I even did Individual kill orders on everyone near, and Olon, man, frickin sprinted the 20 tiles straight onto Zolak.

There's hope! Shit yeah, kick Zolak's ass Olon!  C'mon SQman, just back off? Nopes, got to get another hit in... and the rest is history. 

It was a legit kill, and as I write the story, I put Zorlak Zolak name dropping, reference by that goblin war leader rumors to have a troll father name Zolak.  Foreshadowing and stuff.  Then I remember the "cloud of profane smoke" and weave that in too in the tale, maybe hint it to help cause the vomiting and retching. 

p.s. the siege isn't over at this point.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 09, 2015, 10:26:48 am »

First dwarven blood this year and it's me. Well, at least i've died fighting a troll, not a hamster. I'm glad I'll finally fill my pretentiously opulent silver sarcophagus and spend eternity with my favourite gorlak. Now them dwarves need to fight extra fiercely: they have to protect their farms AND avenge a delusional, eccentric ex-overseer who had almost turned the fortress into an aquarium once.

Fun fact: I actually wanted some terrifying monster to protect my tomb. Like a troll, ogre or a semi-megabeast of some kind. I've failed to catch one in time and suddenly a gorlak.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 09, 2015, 10:44:54 am »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 09, 2015, 10:55:16 am »

First dwarven blood this year and it's me. Well, at least i've died fighting a troll, not a hamster. I'm glad I'll finally fill my pretentiously opulent silver sarcophagus and spend eternity with my favourite gorlak. Now them dwarves need to fight extra fiercely: they have to protect their farms AND avenge a delusional, eccentric ex-overseer who had almost turned the fortress into an aquarium once.

Fun fact: I actually wanted some terrifying monster to protect my tomb. Like a troll, ogre or a semi-megabeast of some kind. I've failed to catch one in time and suddenly a gorlak.

If Armok deems us in Breadbowl worthy to survive, there is ‘Tode’ - Tode Zomunes, Goblin Axeman (captured in cage trap). 
Now, I wonder if SQman wants this caged or chained; clothed or naked; armed or unarmed.  Choices, choices. 
Hiddenleafguy will just have to handle the logistics in procuring the right tools for the job I suppose.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 105