Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 421694 times)

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [40.24]
« Reply #330 on: October 12, 2015, 10:53:40 am »

The tantrum stopping was a coincidence.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 12, 2015, 12:03:57 pm »

+1, definitely get some rest. Else it's easy to get burnt out from all the writing.

By the way, no prior experience with justice or tantrums? >:D HEH HEH HEH

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 12, 2015, 01:18:19 pm »

No priors with justice.  I'm reading up the wiki.

As for tantrums, I usually have quit my fortress and on to new experiments. 
Mostly, is to start a fortress with the goal of learning a concepts such as breaching aquifers 7 deep, all methods.

I think the longest fort I have is 3 years because by the time I come back to it, I forget what my goals were.

I usually build with air locks in mind; double bridges, lots of stone doors, and segmented areas. 

Right now, I'm thinking of using the aquifer to both drain and refill the moat.  That should be the last of my projects.

The rest is flooring or indoor roads over the dirt or mushrooms.

Oooh, I need jet blocks too, and it's submerged, so definitely need to figure out .

it's for this color scheme Archery Target Yellow (Saltpeter) <- Red Floor (Bauxite) - Blue Floor (Microline) - Black Floor (Jet?)

I read that CotG would be a militia captain of his own squad.  And that light cross bows (Willow) would be a good choice for hte squad.

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank You, Friend Computer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 12, 2015, 03:29:04 pm »

This fort is truly a treasure.
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

That's absurdly dwarven of you, I'm so proud to be here to see it.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 12, 2015, 04:41:02 pm »

From what I understand, pretty much the only way to calm down a dwarf once they reach that level of stress is to isolate them from all bad thoughts. Good thoughts help a little for long term stress, but nowhere near as much as they used to.

My strategy in the past has been to burrow them in an isolation cell, somewhere they can't hurt anyone, with plenty of food and drink and no labours that might take them outside. Unfortunately, this still causes bad thoughts: they realise they've been isolated when they try and fail to reach a dwarf in charge in order to cry and yell at them.

Hmm... one strategy I haven't tried that might work is building a psychologists office within As' isolation cell and assigning Quasar to it. I understand they go to Quasar's office for meetings, so when As needs a meeting, it might cause Quasar to come to her rather than the other way around.

Unfortunately, there's nothing we can do to stop Quasar from getting the shit kicked out of her whenever they meet. She will require a full suit of armour to prevent further injury.

Actually, that's brilliant. Do that, and give her the custom profession "Iron Chef".

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 12, 2015, 05:33:12 pm »

Haha, brilliant.

I made the jails above the flooded area.  I figure that having a personal well should at least not make them die of dehydration.

What about the Hammerer slot? I will probably not assign that.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 12, 2015, 07:16:14 pm »

By the way, does anyone know how to look up a civilisations total population?

Breadbowls production goal of 3000 food/6000 booze per year would be enough to keep a population of 750 dwarves satisfied, but that's just a number I made up. It would be cool to revise it to account for the actual population of The Old Nets, assuming Dwarf Fortress tracks that.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 12, 2015, 07:18:46 pm »

I think it does.  Legends mode????
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 07:23:58 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 12, 2015, 07:20:07 pm »

I would've thought that was something you could find out using Legends mode, but I'm actually not sure. Hrmm..
Also, I'd love to be dorfed if at any point you come across a spare Armourer/Weaponsmith.
"Here's a weapon of ridiculous destructive capability I invented, it is capable of wrecking tons of shit in horrific fashion... now I just need to figure out how to aim it."

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 12, 2015, 10:34:14 pm »

Population tracking is possible with a legends viewer mod, but I'm not sure if you can in vanilla.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 12, 2015, 10:46:08 pm »

Y'all need some Legends Mode in your lives. In regard to our population...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...definitely not 750 dwarves. We might have enough to feed the turkeys though.

Guess where's Breadbowl! Yep, we're a long way from home. Guess whose territory we've decided to settle in?

Just the biggest, baddest goblin civilization in the region - the Hell of Emancipating. In fact, I'm pretty sure we started the war in the first place, since prior to Breadbowl everything was going along just peachy. Until we set up shop in their backyard.

If it makes anyone feel better, we're the last surviving dwarven civilization, mainly caused by our only neighbours being very friendly humans. We've never even had a single war B.B, which is pretty amazing in a world this large. The other two dwarven civilization were, unfortunately, utter failures in worldgen.

B.B means Before Breadbowl by the way.

The Uncommon Barricade quickly died out post-worldgen in 238, when the wars started to break out more often. As for the White Pulley, well... they're still alive in the technical sense, but I don't think it's fair to call them a dwarven civilization, since they don't actually have any dwarves. Or even a real civilization. They really only have two hillocks: one, Councilrocks, has a small goblin population of 15, and the other, Matyrceiling, amusingly enough, consists of only 2 humans. I can only imagine what they get to up there ;)

There's a ton of really good stories hidden in this region. My favourite so far has been the Tin Dread, an entire goblin civilization who was suddenly wiped out in a single year by the humans in some sort of Shock-and-Awe style operation. Or the one about a little colony of humans who settled in an area completely isolated from external contact, and grew to become the largest human civ in the world.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 11:04:54 pm by Bearskie »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 12, 2015, 10:46:09 pm »

I would've thought that was something you could find out using Legends mode, but I'm actually not sure. Hrmm..
Also, I'd love to be dorfed if at any point you come across a spare Armourer/Weaponsmith.

There's Olon Roberlorbam, "Olon Wipedstandard", Legendary Armoursmith

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 13, 2015, 12:20:14 am »

...definitely not 750 dwarves. We might have enough to feed the turkeys though.

3574 dwarves. 2 food a season is 8 food per year, so... oh.

Oh dear.

I may have slightly underestimated our production quota. By around 1000%.

28,592 food and 57,184 drink every year to feed and water every dwarf of The Old Nets.

We may need to amp up production somewhat.

In fact, I'm pretty sure we started the war in the first place, since prior to Breadbowl everything was going along just peachy. Until we set up shop in their backyard.

So, on the one hand: the ground here is wonderfully fertile.

On the other hand: we might have accidentally started a war that is likely to result in the wholesale massacre of our entire civilisation.

On the other other hand: if the goblins kill off a few thousand dwarves, we won't have to make as much food to meet quota!

On balance, I'm going to have to say... worth it.

Matyrceiling, amusingly enough, consists of only 2 humans. I can only imagine what they get to up there ;)

Heh, I imagine it's something like the Republic of Molossia.

Iliithid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 13, 2015, 01:48:54 am »

There's Olon Roberlorbam, "Olon Wipedstandard", Legendary Armoursmith
Perfect, I'll take him if he's still available. "Illithid" is fine.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 13, 2015, 12:25:28 pm »

ooc

Busted up my left knee, ow.  So I'm off today again. 

Very little story being generated, which is kinda good as I focus haulers and roads / flooring.

It's a 20 FPS crawl since I have 2 Drain Moat into Aquifer going on the West bridge. 

I also set waterwheel generator on the south east and that too is pumping. 

My triple three screw pump stack Refill Moat on the West seems to work.  I spent mostly on Notes, haha!

So it's clean up now. If invaders come, I'm turtle-ing.  Unless the dry moat encourages wall climbing... let's hope not.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 105