Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 421645 times)

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [40.24]
« Reply #345 on: October 13, 2015, 09:38:14 pm »

Y'all need some Legends Mode in your lives.

Huh... this is the first time I’ve played around with Legends Viewer (I've used Legends Mode in the past, but the viewer is new to me). It helps a lot, and you're right: there’s some really interesting stuff happening in The Dimensions of Vision, especially in the last few years.

I think my favourite battle is The Scraped Assaults, which happened in 237, shortly after Neblime took charge in Breadbowl.  11 elves from the Lucid Fragrances (our elves) stood against an army of more than 5000 goblins and assorted kidnappees from the Hell of Emancipating. They were overrun, of course, but they slew 190 between them. Several of those 11 elves have more notable kills than anyone else in history short of megabeasts.

But... we really kicked a hornet’s nest, didn’t we? The per-year civ map confirms we did indeed start the war: The Hell of Emancipating was a moderate sized goblin civilisation when we settled Breadbowl in 236, with only 23 sites. It was peaceful, at least as much as goblin civilisations can be: it had never conquered a single site in its history. All it's sites it had founded itself.

Since then it has doubled its territory entirely through conquest, expanding from a small line to the spiderweb of 45 sites Bearskie showed, and declaring war on just about everyone in the world.

In light of who and what their leader is, I can’t help but feel like the forces of evil have been planning this all-out assault against the Dimensions of Vision for years, and our little settlement lit the fuse.

Sweet Armok. I think we accidentally a World War. And all we wanted to do was grow some food!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 09:48:13 pm by QuQuasar »

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 13, 2015, 09:47:58 pm »

Sweet Armok. I think we accidentally a World War. And all we wanted to do was grow some food!

It's really more the equivalent of America colonizing Poland right before WW2, I think.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: October 13, 2015, 09:56:06 pm »

Can we just agree that we 1- inadvertantly caused the planet to usher in a new era of bloodshed and 2- are very unapologetic about all this?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 13, 2015, 10:09:10 pm »

Well, crap. I thought this is going to be all peaceful that is why I joined a farming community. 

Really! All I wanted was to tell a story about a migrant girl who became a legendary cook.

The story would unfold revealing the origins of the 4 unique ingredients that made the masterful work lavish meal!

But then, this is Breadbowl, so that meal was shipped to the King.

Anyway, that's unwritten, but I was looking into the legends of Shamallamadingdong, Twist of Plotting.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 13, 2015, 10:26:14 pm »

Book V

Chapter 26 (Fortress Guard Mandate)

A note, "I choose to not play a pawn between nobilities.  I will instead focus in my new office and pursue solutions to the root cause of the horrifying issues.  The autumn season report is attached." -- Sanctume

(Year: 240) Granite - Slate - Felsite - Hematite - Malachite - Galena [- Limestone - Sandstone - Timber] - Moonstone - Opal - Obsidian

Barony of Breadbowl Quarterly Report
  • 1st Limestone, 240.  Population: 158
  • 30st Timber, 240. Population: 158
The King’s Mandate
Trade Summary
  • Total Prepared Meal: +726
  • Total Drink: +474
  • Transaction Date: 12th Limestone, 240
  • Merchant: A dwarf caravan of Egarkib.
Trade Report  Bookkeeper ‘May’ reports the total of Food Storage: 11,185
  • Meat: 90
  • Fish: 0
  • Plant: 5,180
  • Seeds: 1,251
  • Drinks: 685
  • Other: 3,979
Note: The outpost liaison Fath Likotoslan from Egarkib has arrived. There were five wagons, and four pack carts in the caravan.

Before trade stocks
  • Prepared Meal 1703 (1947)
  • Drinks 711 (350)
  • Total Value: 500,000+
After trade stocks
  • Prepared Meal 977 (2673)  -> (2673 - 1947) = +726 prepared meals
  • Drink 257 (824)  -> (824 - 350) = +474 drinks
  • Breadbowl accepts token offerings of bars, animals, steel anvils. Value: 20,000+
The document is signed by Mayor Quasar and is also indicated as the authorized broker of the completed trade.

Mandate #1 Clear Glass
Goal: Produce 420 clear glass blocks to construct ceilings for below ground farming.
Goal: Implement Drink and Food Production (revision 1)

Summary Progress
1. Plot 3.1 completed clear glass flooring. 45/420.
2. Plot 3.2 are pending on completion of the rest of the clear glass blocks order.

Mandate #2 Expanded Burrows
Goal: Maintenance of Burrows

Summary Progress

I have created Happy Place burrow which covers:

Breadbowl Jail

The jail floor is made from quartzite blocks. 

Iron doors ensure secure enclosures.

We start with two jail suites.

The center of each suite is the gold chain to restrain our guest, and every amenities are within easy reach:
Exceptional beds by Neblime, our own legendary carpenter.
Matching lumber table and chair dinette set for a cozy cabin motif.
A well-made well is also built in the suite because the jail is above the indoor lake.
A silver statue is placed handsomely in the corner.
Each suite also has its own pantry for Lavish Meals and Drinks acquired from Breadbowl’s own stock of the King’s Mandate.
There is also an ordinary bucket too.

Mayor’s Office

The Happy Place also includes the hallway with a silver statue of a jumping spider.
The hallway leads to the Mayor’s office.

The image of the Mayor’s dwelling is faux pas due to the its blood stained hall contradicts Happy Place mantra.

The Happy Place Room

On the level below the noble houses, but above the Grand Tombs is the Happy Place.
Is it not designated to be any room.
But there is a pantry of Lavish Meals and Drinks.
Dining placements made of masterwork and exceptional tables and chairs.
A tin statue of our Mayor Quasar.
Exceptional rock salt doors from our Masons.
And a handful of chaise lounge beds from Neblime.

(Please excuse the Jet quarry.)

Those citizens who suffer from the psychological stresses of day to day living in Breadbowl are assigned to Happy Place. 
There are currently five residents: 
  • Mebsuth, the Tiger killer.
  • As the alleged assaulter.
  • Vabok,
  • Goden,
  • Ushrir.
  • p.s. It seems like Bearskie might be a candidate for Happy Place.

Mandate #3 More Stone
Goal: Produce more stone blocks for construction materials.

Summary Progress
1. Established “Civ (Mason Hauler) squad.
2. No Animal, Furniture, Refuse, Water, Wood Hauling. 
3. Focus on Mason and Stone Hauling.
4. But since this is Breadbowl, Food and Trade Goods Hauling is mandatory.
5. Current squad size is 8.

Mandate #4 Metal Equipment
Goal: Evaluate current military equipment needs.

Summary Progress
Orders for iron equipment have been completed.
Little progress has been made in assigning equipment.
Mayor Quasar has been assigned a set of iron equipment: iron mail shirt, iron helm, iron gauntlets, iron greaves, and steel high boots from the caravan.

Sanctume assigned As some iron equipment as well.

Storage for the Armory has also been allocated, as well as other Logistics Warehousing.

Mandate #5 Moat Wall Construction
Goal: Construct Defensible Wall around Breadbowl

Summary Progress
(complete) Control Rooms south of hospital
(complete) Dismantle Bridges
(complete) Red West Bridge, linked, notes.
(complete) Blue South Bridge, linked, notes.
(complete) White North Bridge, linked, notes.
(complete) Yellow East Bridge, linked, notes.

Mandate #9 Subcommittee: Moat Drain Project
Goal: Provide a means to drain moat in the most efficient method.
Goal: Provides solution to mandate #7 Corpse Duty Services
Goal: Provides solution to mandate #8 Moat Clearance Services

(completed) Construct Power Plant
(completed) Construct Draining Function
(completed) Construct Refill Function
(completed) Construct Housing Unit

Mandate #11 Apartment Expansion
Goal: Build homes to the growing population of Breadbowl.
(completed) The Third floor apartments are roofed and ready for furnitures.

Mandate #12 Duke’s Mandate
The duke Gwolfski Uristirtir Daggerdangles
(complete) Mandates a creation of 3 Millstone.
(complete) Mandates a creation of 1 Battle Axes.
(complete) Mandates a creation of 1 Battle Axes.
(complete) Mandates a creation of 2 Millstones.

Mandate #13 Mayor’s Mandate
Mayor Quasar has mandated export of bolts prohibited.
(complete) Mandates a creation of 1 Bolt.

Mandate #15 Murky Pool Safety Initiative
Goal: Remove threat of murky pools inside Breadbowl.

Summary Progress
1. Run pumps to empty murky pools again
2. Murky Pools Flooring
3. A minor cave-in accident. Details were sketchy. Looks like some dusty cover up.
4. Removal of Grates and Screw Pumps

Mandate #16 Captain of the Guard Sanctume Mandate
Goal: Satisfy the Mandate in accordance to the office of Captain of the Guard.

Summary Progress
(completed) Archery Training Room
(completed) Willow Wood Crossbows
(pending) Fortress Guard Uniform
(pending) Selection of Fortress Guard Members

End of Quarterly Report

« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 10:52:14 am by Sanctume »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 13, 2015, 10:54:10 pm »

Sanctume, you are the most efficient and thorough overseer to ever grace this fortress. The militia commander is deeply satisfied with all these new improvements of yours.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 13, 2015, 11:08:23 pm »

Thanks. 

1. My current problem is that corpse dumping, hauling of the crap in the moat is taking too long. 
I even did the temporary garbage zone and no one is putting stuff in it. 

2.  I also cannot find the fabled "Wagon Wood" anymore. :(
There was one, probably the north moat, I dunno where it went.
It probably got turned into charcoal at this rate. 
I wanted to get Neblime make a throne out of it for the future monarch. Oh well.

3. Bone and Shell Refuse pile is overflowed.  Do bones and shell go in bins?

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 14, 2015, 12:50:36 am »

I would suggest a few craftdwarf workshops set to decorate items with bone/shell. We'll improve the quality of some furniture while cleaning out some space.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 14, 2015, 01:10:51 am »

Organisation! Actual, honest-to-goodness organisation! That makes quite a change from the usual “ginormous stockpile of random junk” approach.

Am I the only one who thinks “happy place” sounds like an Orwellian euphemism for some sort of terrible brainwashing chamber?

Another way to help prevent shell overload: make the fisherdwarfs do something useful instead.

As for Breadbowls peacefulness: I agree! One of the things I love the most about this fortress in comparison to others on the forum is that it has the feel of a fantasy slice-of-life tale, rather than the usual stories of comedic vanity, incompetence and lovecraftian horror. It become a nice, semi-realistic farming village with a sense of permanance and believability. I’ve actually grown rather attached to the dwarves of Breadbowl: I know SQman's death was a genuine shock, and I was abnormally worried when Quasar was getting pummeled by As.

All of which makes me think we've been playing through Act 1 of a three act story. This is the part of the story where everything's peaceful, where we learn about the world and get to know and grow attached to the characters.

And now we're shifting towards Act 2. There's a change in the wind, smoke in the air. A global war is breaking out, armies are on the march, and our peaceful farming village is smack in the middle of it.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 14, 2015, 01:14:35 am »

Question, re: Below Ground Farms. 

Can I proceed with digging out and planting the farm plots and leave the above floor uncovered until clear glass blocks are done?

I'm only on the 60th of 420 clear glass blocks.

Here's the kitchen plan, it's still a mess.  I had a crash when I started doing roads that was neglected by dwarves doing something else.  Or could be from a different source of crash.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #355 on: October 14, 2015, 01:21:15 am »

It's really more the equivalent of America colonizing Poland right before WW2, I think.

excuse me.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 14, 2015, 01:31:14 am »

Too many things going on o_o. Why am I so unhappy neways? Caterpillars invading the crops?

Weeerrrl personal experience in legends mode is that post-worldgen tends to be alot rowdier than regular worldgen. Battles are more numerous, ultimately resulting in sites being conquered more often. Even without Breadbowl, the goblin expansion likely would have happened anyway.

They probably wouldnt have waged war against our civ though. So we're still kinda at fault there.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 14, 2015, 11:57:57 am »

ooc: I'm back at work today. I think I messed up in toggling Refuse Haulers in Dwarf Therapist, and Bearskie helped out clearing the moat where the subborn sentient body parts remain.

I'm doing some reading and research now.  It's seems I should:
1. Forbid everything out there.
2. Forbid Hunting and wood cutting temporarily.
3. Remove Refuse Hauling.  This is different from Burial, no burial needs at the moment.
4. Define a squad that can:
4.1 Can Handle Stress
4.2 Good discipline (our current Shafts and Earthen) the "don't care anymore" types.
4.3 Clear Labor except Refuse Hauling.

5. Use stocks menu, un-Forbid and then Dump body parts and corpses.
Send out the squad to do all the refuse hauling prior to trying to reclaim or dump the rest of the crap.

Happy Place. Stress Management
1. Set aside rooms with high value items.
2. (micro) Individual "likes" made to order for each patient's room.
3. 300k stress will take approximately 2 game years to reduce to 100k.  Personality types affect duration as well.
4. Military recruitment is a possibility.
5. Busy dwarf gets happy thought.  Be it labor.  Just no more exposure to dead sentients.
5.1 (micro) Specific "likes" material and high value items that involve labor. (i.e. high quality bucket used in Dyer ship for Dyer labor)

I have 1 captured Goblin Axeman
I don't know what to do with him yet.
There's a neat archery training that can get a recruit to legendary in 1 game month; has the side benefit of splitting bolts.  (Bearskie posted on that one some time ago).
But I already created a legit archery range barracks, just no active squad using it yet--I'll let that fun project to the next overseer.

Maybe I should dig deeper and either find flux or if lucky, magma in a season's worth.  I mean, 1 or 2 miners doing this should be doable.

Shoot, sounds like a challenge!  I have plenty of iron smelted.  A magma furnace above ground should doable. 

I haven't un-paused Winter 240 yet, so every plan is up in the air.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 14, 2015, 01:43:49 pm »

Breadbowl
Rules
* Underground crops are not allowed.
 - Enclosed crops (aboveground crops underneath some sort of roof) are allowed, on one condition: the roof must be made of clear glass. This is likely to be a worthwhile investment despite the cost of clear glass, as it's quite possible an ill-timed siege could starve you out.

Doing due diligence, this rule therefore allows "aboveground crops" be grown in "farm plots" established below the surface as long as either condition is satisfied: the ceiling above is open to the sky; or the ceiling above is enclosed with clear glass.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 14, 2015, 02:08:12 pm »

Breadbowl
Rules
* Underground crops are not allowed.
 - Enclosed crops (aboveground crops underneath some sort of roof) are allowed, on one condition: the roof must be made of clear glass. This is likely to be a worthwhile investment despite the cost of clear glass, as it's quite possible an ill-timed siege could starve you out.

Doing due diligence, this rule therefore allows "aboveground crops" be grown in "farm plots" established below the surface as long as either condition is satisfied: the ceiling above is open to the sky; or the ceiling above is enclosed with clear glass.
Seen another way, it means we can't have stacked farms, and all farms must be underneath the sky, thus forcing us to expand, instead of putting seven levels of mushroom plots on top of each other to meet our quota. Aka: each farm we decide to build will be what's occupying this area. Unless, of course, we get crafty and irrigate mud roofs to put farm plots above our storage buildings, which is something we may have to do eventually to feed 3500 dudes and their one turkey per household.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 02:10:15 pm by Taupe »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 105