Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 426157 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [40.24]
« Reply #360 on: October 14, 2015, 02:29:44 pm »

The main reason I want it below ground is to reduce paths from plant to process to main stock pile. 

As much as having plenty of farm plot, the crops that can be grown are biome limited.  I found this out when I acquired seeds that I could not plant.  Also some seeds are useless (can't plant, can't cook) 

Fruit tree gathering is also very lucrative, but also produce those useless seeds too.

Another projects to streamline this production line are glass pots.  This will eliminate the need for masons and stone haulers. :)
Hmm, 2 minecarts full of magma can begin a glass furnace in that very level with sand...

Another project would be a fishing shack: enclosed with grate fishing hole, build in fishery, refuse dump, atom smasher. 
The only issue I have with this is if I should choose the moat as my fishing zone, would it produce fish or would I get spammed with "no fish?"

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 14, 2015, 02:37:30 pm »

The main reason I want it below ground is to reduce paths from plant to process to main stock pile. 

As much as having plenty of farm plot, the crops that can be grown are biome limited.  I found this out when I acquired seeds that I could not plant.  Also some seeds are useless (can't plant, can't cook) 

Fruit tree gathering is also very lucrative, but also produce those useless seeds too.

Another projects to streamline this production line are glass pots.  This will eliminate the need for masons and stone haulers. :)
Hmm, 2 minecarts full of magma can begin a glass furnace in that very level with sand...

Another project would be a fishing shack: enclosed with grate fishing hole, build in fishery, refuse dump, atom smasher. 
The only issue I have with this is if I should choose the moat as my fishing zone, would it produce fish or would I get spammed with "no fish?"

It should work perfectly fine, if you're okay with only catching pond turtles and a couple other things. They're the only things that spawn outside of a predesignated river, lake, or ocean.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 14, 2015, 03:33:31 pm »

Prepared Meals, be it Lavish or Simple meals are counted the same.

Simple meals require 2 ingredients + 1 contrainer.
Lavish meals require 4 ingredients + 1 contrainer.

Simple meal from maize flour [5] and boar meat [5] results in Boar Biscuit [10]. It counts as 10 Prepared Meals in the end.

Simple meal from lychee [5], cat tallow [5], maize flour [5] and boar meat [5] results in Boar Roast [20].  It counts as 20 Prepared Meals in the end.

In other words, the number of stacks of each ingredient, sums up the final quantity of the prepared meal.  We wants quantities in this case, regardless of value from quality.

Point is lavish meals are efficient in obtaining prepared meal quantity (to a point), and saves on container over simple meals.

Container Info
  • Pot holds 60 prepared meals max.  I think anything over 60 is put into another container.
  • Pot holds 30 booze max.  Any excess is put into another container.
  • Pot made from Lignite or Jet is lighter than a typical wooden barrel.
  • Stone Pot is typically 33% heavier than wood barrels.
  • Fire clay s the same weight as wood barrels.
  • Glazed clay Pots are lighter than wood barrels.

Currently, our farm plots are not being fertilized.

1 Farm plot tile yields 0-6 stack.  Fertilized adds 0-3 stack. So a theoretical max stack of [9] per plant.

So, a focus on making potash for fertilizing farm plots would increase the output of the plants by a theoretical 50%.

This would be more efficient than expanding farm plots by adding pathing routes in above building irrigations. :)

However, I'm not sure what the elf diplomat wanting to cap out trees to 100 per year.  We still want animals from them.

The fruit trees can produce as much as 15 stacks of fruits but I'm not sure if the Herbalist skill affects fruit yields.  Herbalist, plant gather yields 0-5 stacks.  A Legendary Herbalist will always get 5 stack when gathering plants.

--

Fishing should definitely be a constant food supply also once streamlined (less pathing from fish to kithchen)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 14, 2015, 08:46:07 pm »

Oh, no! Fuck this! Pardon my language.

So I make all these plans, dig there, build here, stock pile shuffles, disable jobs and shit.

Unpause.

A vile force of darkness has arrived!

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 14, 2015, 08:48:21 pm »

That should be expected. Angus DID see many battles in her future and the world legends info painted that as the Armok honest truth. We're surrounded by enemies, so sieges are going to be common.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 15, 2015, 11:31:49 am »

Book VI

Chapter 27 (Winter is Coming)

"Moonstone, my eleventh name day comes.   Why has Breadbowl forsaken me?” --  Datan `Wild Child' Giginfath, "Datan `Wild Child' Fliersacks", Dwarven Child of Special Project: Little House in the Jungle”

Planning for Winter

Excerpts from the journals of `Sanctume' Olinlelum, "`Sanctume' Tongswane", Overseer of the King’s Mandate in Breadbowl 240, First Mace Lord of Breadbowl, Captain of the Guard.

30th Timber, 240, Late Autumn.

My concern for corpses and body parts of goblins and trolls in the moat is causing our citizens to be horrified at the sight. 

I was overseeing these task in the wrong order, but now I shall correct these mis-steps.

First, everything outside the walls are forbidden, that includes even logs that remained on top of the walls when trees were fell. 

The next order of business is to muster the wood cutters and tell them they are not to do any wood cutting until they are told do otherwise.  Any wood inside the walls can still be hauled.
There are 10 Wood Cutters:
  • Gwolfski, the duke with his training axe!
  • Mason Capt, really, you’re a mason cutting wood?
  • Morul K.
  • Rakust I.
  • Vucar T.
  • Eshtan B.
  • Dobar O.
  • Uzol M.
  • Zuglar A.
  • Erib U.
This is a crying shame that training axes are still being used.  I hope to remember to order 10 iron battle axes and forbid all training axes.

The next order of business is to muster the hunters and tell them no hunting until told otherwise.
There are 10 Hunters:
  • Cilob V.
  • Onul L.
  • As M. (“he” is not my daughter!)
  • Udil L.
  • 'Corpse Duty' Edem G.
  • Zasit B.
  • Ral T.
  • Ushat E.
  • Kogan A.
  • Sodel O.

Now that the moat is nearly empty, I am tasking 10 citizens with 5 reserves to the grim “Corpse Duty” labor.
I muster them, and noted their current labors.
All their current labors are cleared, and only gives one duty: Refuse Hauling.
My 15 Corpse Duty candidates are:
  • Uzol M. = Milker, Cheesemaker, Spinner, Mechanic
  • Zuglar A. = Fishing, Mechanic
  • Thob L. = Animal Caretaker
  • Urvad A. = Miller, Thresher, Butcher, Tanner, Mechanic
  • Dodok S. = Metalcrafter
  • Iteb D. = Animal Caretaker, Animal Trainer
  • Morul K. = Soaper, Furnace Operator
  • Zan C. = Herbalist, Milker, Cheesemaker, Shearer, Spinner
  • Lokum I. = Cheesemaker, Tanner
  • Zulban U. = Thresher, Milker, Cheesemaker
  • Likot M. = Butcher, Tanner, Leatherworker, Bone Carver
  • Ral T. = Miner
  • Oddom R. = Furnace Operator
  • Asen U. = Fish Cleaner, Architect
  • Amost L. = Milk, Cheese, Shearer, Spinner

Next, I ordered the atom smasher to be activated in garbage tower.

I then met with May, our recordkeeper, to check the stocks.
Unforbid every body part, then mark them for dumping
Unforbid every corpses, then mark them for dumping

I updated the standing orders for the refuse, to take them from the outside, ignore the vermins.
I also set to dump corpses, and dump others as well.

I then went to the current messy Boneyard and unmark the dumping of those a few bones and shells and skulls to save them as well as removing these less important job of dumping body parts. There are a few sentient body parts here, so those are to be dumped.  I want the corpses and body parts out of the moat moved first.

--

My digs and flooring for the new hallway and room leading to the 2nd archery range is almost complete.  I designate a Wood Shield only stockpile, specifically reserved for Glumprong Shields.
A Carpenter shop for Neblime with a private Glumprong wood stockpile. 
Wood have different density, despite them weighing lighter than metal shields.
Feather Wood 100 density (none available)
Willow 390 (many available)
Most of the wood are 600 density.
Glumprong is 1200 density.
Blood throrn has the highest wood density of 1250.

Glumprong is twice the density of normal wood, and only grows in evil biomes. We have some ready to be cut.  The elves should understand if we go beyond the 100 cap.  They are evil trees!

--

The King’s Mandate is still in effect, and the unused Food and Drink stockpile overflow is activated to clear for the digging.  I would like to at least dig the area clean, and pave the paths in the Grand Kitchen. Make it look more presentable, and impress the polished professionalism of Breadbowl’s finest cooks and brewers.

--

Work has began in the Fisher’s Guild “Fishing Shack”
There will be 3 grates, and room for a statue, flooring. 
The upper levels will be and expansion of the enclosed fortification above the West Moat Filling Station. 

The walls and floors will be built on the Boneyard, with the surface level having 4 Fishery, and the second level will have Crafts Dwarfs for decorating with bones and shells.  The basement will have the access to the decorated finished goods, and a path for the prepared fish. 

The Craftsdwarf shop next to the Butcher’s shop will be dismantled and replaced with a second Butcher’s shop.  There will also be a new stairs heading below to the meat stockpile.

--

Finish the remaining 10 clear glass blocks flooring to complete Farm Plot 3.1

--

I reviewed the Food Inventory with Recordkeeper May.
Since the caravan came early last Autumn, our prepared meals and drink production stockpile has overflowed, and we still have plenty of food preparation ingredients available that we can halt cooking and brewing and focus on hauling and redesignation of stockpiles in the Grand Kitchen.

Spoiler: Check Food Inventory (click to show/hide)

My conclusion is that the dyes (Blade Weed and Sliver Barb) farm plots be moved to Farm Plot 1.1 and 1.2 with the plant and stockpile flowing to the south where the Clothing and Leather Guild building is.  This can connect underground by building basement 2 of CLG, thus making it’s current fortified 2nd floor an inside bunker for the future.

There are 8 active millstones above. The shops up there will need some planning to make the efficient flow of dyes and flours.

A dairy building may be needed to handle the eggs, milking and cheesemaking.  Or perhaps just use the same millstone building, and expand the flow of dyes and flour to the basement 1 and basement 2 instead.  I have to wait how the paving of the Grand Kitchen progresses.

--

I commit to fallow the surface farm plots to get ready for digs once the Grand Kitchen stockpiles are cleared.  The farmers can focus on food hauling in the beginning of winter.

--

I placed notes on North Refill Station.  The power reactor, pump stack, and 2nd floor lever is still under construction.  The fortification and shut off bridge is already linked to a lever.

--

I think I am forgetting something.  But I’m looking forward to a “peaceful winter.”  Oh yeah, I wonder how Datan 'Wild Child' is doing.

--

1st Obsidian, 240, Early Winter

Ahh, the plans are set in motion.  Let’s see those corpses moved!

--

A vile force of darkness has arrived!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 11:33:51 am by Sanctume »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 15, 2015, 12:17:27 pm »

ooc: I have not un-paused yet. But spent many hours writing up plans of execution.  And I go back and forth on where to commit.

1. Issue 1, why aren't these guys wearing iron helms? I have made 20 at least.  So now I get to hope pickup their equipment.  I have to get back to google foo on "r replace clothing means this is the current setting, and not a toggle to replace clothing" as far as the military / uniform screen.  Same for "m matches exactly."

2. Our effective army consists of maybe 20. 5 in Shafts, 4 or 5 in Earthen.
10 in Watch does not have all marskdwarves, but I can field over 10 with at least 1 in marksdwarves. 
There is a "Rangers" squad that only some have marksdwarf. 
I think I read back that hunting was prohibited at some point. 

And there is Oddom with 3+ axedwarf not in the squad that is training. A shame. 

So it looks like I have:
Shafts [5] Spear Lord (Taupe dorfed), Spear Lord (Tekkud undorfed), Swordmaster (Kubuk undorfed), Axe Lord ((Fairybrow dorfed), Mace Lord (Sanctume dorfed).
Earthen [4] Axe Lords (Vortex, Angus dorfed, Ezum and Olon undorfed)
Watch [10] Marksdwarves of at least +1 crossbow skill. (Pyro dorfed), the rest is undorfed
Rangers: [~4] Zasit (marksdwarf), Oddom (axedwarf), and the rest is mixed "no skill with discipline" peasants weapon unknown.

Looking at this, it's possible Oddom was taken out of Earthen at some point?

Now would be a time to get dorfed, and see how you're fated.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 15, 2015, 07:32:05 pm »

I'd also like to offer: if you're already dorfed, but you want to name a second dwarf (something different from the first one, obviously), go ahead. We have plenty of spares, and it'll make future events more interesting if they involve named dwarves.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 15, 2015, 07:43:34 pm »

I'd also like to offer: if you're already dorfed, but you want to name a second dwarf (something different from the first one, obviously), go ahead. We have plenty of spares, and it'll make future events more interesting if they involve named dwarves.

The Shafts of Fortifying
  • `Taupe' Ilromilral, "`Taupe' Peaktreaty", militia commander (Taupe)
  • `LordBrassroast' Betankulet, "`LordBrassroast' Calmabbey", Spearmaster (LordBrassroast)
  • `Alexis' Zulbandesis, "`Alexis' Bannersnarls", Swordmaster (Gwolfski)
  • `Fairybrow' Mengzokun, "`Fairybrow' Lashedsieged", Wrestler (fairy eyebrow)
  • `Sanctume' Olinlelum, "`Sanctume' Tongswane", Macedwarf (Sanctume)
The Earthen Assaults
  • `Vortex' Tunlerteth, "`Vortex' Doortangle", militia captain (Vortex)
  • `Murky' Astanan, "`Murky' Sabrenight", Axe Lord (QuQuasar)
  • `Techno' Zonbal, "`Techno' Helmedtones", Axedwarf (PyroTechno)
  • 'Angus' Ingizsezuk, "'Angus' Ceilingslapped", militia captain (Urist McVoyager)
Neighborhood Watch
  • Zefon Lolokdomas, "Zefon Graniteguild", Cook, militia captain undorfed
  • `Kolven' Letmosnir, "`Kolven' Cobaltland", Hunter (Hiddenleafguy)
  • Sazir Kogankalan, "Sazir Boattrails", Bone Carver undorfed
  • Ushat Erarmistem, "Ushat Leadportals", Crossbowman undorfed
  • `Neblim' Vucarurol, "`Neblim' Urncloses", Hunter  (Neblime)
  • 'Pyro' Regmorul, "'Pyro' Glovepages", Furnace Operator (PyroTechno)
  • Udil Likottatlosh, "Udil Inkfishes", Crossbowman undorfed
  • `Japa' Athelgatin, "`Japa' Ringpanthers", Weaver (Japa)
  • `Browedeyesfairy' Menguling, "`Browedeyesfairy' Lashcrazes", Ranger (fairy eyebrow)
  • Likot Moruldustik, "Likot Pagedboars", Bone Carver undorfed
Civilians (Ranger) Reserves just started training, have some discipline.
  • Dodok Osdatan, militia captain undorfed
  • Dumat Cattenvush undorfed
  • Vabok Sigungoden undorfed
  • Ushrir Nokomostath undorfed
  • Goden Egominod undorfed

« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 10:06:56 am by Sanctume »

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 15, 2015, 09:16:11 pm »

Hmmm. There's already a Pyro, so how about a Techno? He or she could be a mechanic or something.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 16, 2015, 06:13:36 am »

Ooh, siege. These goblins want us, THEY REALLY WANT US! *sniff*

I went and took a little tour of your fortress.
I see you've met the trees.

On another note, no visit to Breadbowl is complete without a tour of the noble quarters and the -redacted- tombs.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 16, 2015, 08:20:45 am »

I went and took a little tour of your fortress.

Thanks Japa, Armok Vision is looking awesome.  It's truly a delight to see fellow DF players apply their talents and creativity into making DF a better experience.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 16, 2015, 10:24:09 am »

Gwolfski has mandated some work!

Get some new cloths made asap or your are going in my drowning chamber! Give me a steel axe or else you will slow death by training axe! Also brew bear!

Oh my beard!  Unfortunately, we have no few steel to make battle axe, as I ordered helms and "swoosh" engraved high tops boots.  You did mandate Battle Axes many times, but they are all made of iron. 

When I forbid wood cutting, the duke is still holding a training axe.

Hopefully, if we survive the Winter Siege, I will remember to enable wood cutting, and dump all other training axes.

It's going to be a long winter, I'm afraid.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 16, 2015, 10:33:05 am »

Seeing your excitement as to holding the poll in the first place, I'd say that there's definitely someone going to die. Someone important. Thus... G I CHOOSE YOU! Did the Hill of Death actually do something back there, or was that just writing imagery?

+ Our retracting bridges seem woefully inadequate for defense protection. Raising bridges recommended instead once this is over.

I sure am glad the raising bridges are completed and linked in Autumn, or we would have been caught with out pants dropped this winter.

It (the bridges) gives certain strategy that I shall employ to the fullest. 

I just hope nothing goes wrong in my plans and executions, I mean executing plans, that is.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 105