Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 421627 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [40.24]
« Reply #405 on: October 21, 2015, 01:13:55 am »

PTW
Dwarf me as a farmer named Ama please.

Zasit Betanadil is now Ama Betanadil, Farmer and Militia Captain of "Civilians (Planters)"
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 01:49:28 am by Sanctume »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 21, 2015, 07:16:17 am »

Those ogres don't take pain too well. Could it be because they don't really have layers?

Darn well they don't have donkeys either.

Vortex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 21, 2015, 10:04:19 am »

Much better performance from my namesake! 

And Japa... ow.  You didn't need that liver, did you? 

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 21, 2015, 10:17:14 am »

When I switch pov story telling, there were some text that did not translate.

I remember trying to figure out how to make someone disengage from the fight and get him to the hospital sooner.
But Japa pulled out the iron bolt that pierced his liver, gives in to pain, and stood up shooting still.

The last time I saw him during the battle, he stepped back nearer the depot and remained in "station."

Anyway, I have the next chapter, but don't have the 1 image uploaded to imgur, so it will just have to wait tonight.

I think I can wrap this up by Friday, what can go wrong?  :D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 10:45:53 am by Sanctume »

Vortex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 21, 2015, 01:52:05 pm »

I think I can wrap this up by Friday, what can go wrong?  :D

Now that you've asked that question, I think the real question is what can't go wrong? :)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 21, 2015, 04:49:24 pm »

Those ogres don't take pain too well. Could it be because they don't really have layers?

Do onions grow in our biome? 

We do have a fabled dragon who resides in The Hills of Death.

We just need a human liaison named Lord Farquaad.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 21, 2015, 04:57:10 pm »

Even if they don't, you might be able to buy them from a human caravan - or an elven one, if the bug that keeps elven caravans from carrying seeds has been fixed by now.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 21, 2015, 07:01:58 pm »

Chapter 32 (Mop Up)

“Security against defeat implies defensive tactics; ability to defeat the enemy means taking the offensive.” -- Sanctume, Doctrine of Bridges

Winter Siege of Breadbowl, 240

9th Moonstone, 240

“I’m alright” -- Datan after The East Split.
Within the last season, he didn’t feel anything while in conflict.

Spoiler: Chapter 32 Siege Units (click to show/hide)

This siege isn’t over, but efficiency demands the citizens work within its burrows.

Cancel all station orders.

Raise up the north bridge.

Create a prisoner holding pen down in z88 and secure it with a microline door.

Expand Corpse Retrieve burrow and mark the sentient corpses and sentient body parts for dumping.
Give Refuse Hauling to 20 more happy citizens on top of the 15 "Corpse Duty" previously selected.

Everything else is forbidden.

Remove Shafts and Earthen from training in barracks and give them Refuse hauling to help dump corpses.

Assign Archery Range Level 2 and floors. 
Yeah sure, color coordinate: Orthoclase Archery Target with Microline, Bauxite, and Jet floors.

Leave the Level 3 unfinished.

Assign glumprong stockpile.

Un-suspend an unfinished floor job for the carpenter’s shop to make exclusive glumprong shields.

All woodcutting is disabled. Create a stockpile for training weapons.  All those training axes will be forbidden or dumped soon enough.  We have over 40 iron battle axes.
If I remember right, the duke wants a steel battle axe, so if we have steel left, order one.

Speaking of steel, I found something of interest.  A "Reacher" creature can be heard from deep down below the caverns.  But the most interesting find is that this cavern exposes marble, some 20z below.  I ask the miners to determine where might be a good spot to dig down from the Mason's Guild level.

--

10th Moonstone, 240

Likot of Watch reports, “The ogres are moving east to the edge of the forest and fleeing the battlefield.  The goblins remain below Datan’s house.”

Taupe is still sleeping. 

Sanctume, “Let them be for now, we will rally as soon as Taupe joins us.”

Sodel Orrovod, Pump Operator begins mysterious construction with a microline boulder and Gray Langur mangled bone [6] in a Craftsdwarf workshop.

--

13th Moonstone, 240

Japa is now resting in doctor May’s Hospital bed.  His ability to grasp is somewhat impared.

Olin Thaderal, Fish Cleaner is also in the Hospital bed.  That Em “Enem” goblin recruit beat him up.

The squads are not doing any hauling.  It just says Soldier (no activity).
So I muster all of us by the north bridge to ready an attack on the remaining goblins.

Duke Gwolfski mandates 1 millstone.

14th Moonstone, 240

Sodel Orrovod becomes a Stonecrafter and made a Komantustem, “The Spread Courtesy”, a microline earring, value 3,600.

The north bridge is pulled down. 

Shafts, Earthen and Watch move in the moat, closest to Datan’s House.

Vortex decides it’s time to drink and break rank.

Taupe orders, “kill all in this region, go!”

Angus charges forward, followed by Alexis, Taupe, LordBrassroast, Sanctume, Fairybrow, and Techno.

Sanctume is shot at first, jumping away and the rest missing.

Japa even joins and unloads volleys of iron bolts from a distance.

Zefon and Cilob stayed in the moat despite the kill order.

“How fragile we are. Begone fear!” - Datan during the “Mop Up” battle.

15th Moonstone, 240

“How fleeting life is.  I must not succumb to fear!” - Datan during the “Mop Up” battle.

The battle rages on to the next day.  The grim details of it look as spectacular as any victory.
Nevertheless, the important fact is no more citizen of Breadbowl is injured or maimed or killed.
The results of who died to whom are in the siege unit report.

16th Moonstone, 240

“Death is all around us… The Horror!” - Datan after the “Mop Up” battle.
He is terrified while in conflict.
He is afraid after experiencing trauma.

This is a “mop up” operation, although it left quite a bit of limbs, and heads, and teeth among the mangled corpses, it thus ends the Winter Siege of Breadbowl in 240.

--

I think he (Datan) saw me, but all the killing must have traumatized him.  I cannot see him from down here, but I seem to hear whimpers coming from his house.  I am tempted to unlock the hatch, but this battle within me, a battle between duty and compassion must be drowned in booze for the time being.  I still have the King's Mandate and less than a season to do my own "mop up."

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 21, 2015, 09:54:47 pm »

Clearly, we need to murder our goblin liaison until they send along a hummie.

Ps. Although I do feel rather attached to our current green-skinned friend, so preferably we should consider caging him before we start re-enacting Shrek: Dwarf Fortress.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 21, 2015, 10:56:17 pm »

We do have a pair of Ogre and Ogress captured in the last battle.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 22, 2015, 05:03:08 am »

Ooooo'hhhh Sanctuuuuume! Do you wanna build....

.... a castle?

*chants*
Castle! Castle! Castle! Castle! Castle! Castle!

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 22, 2015, 05:21:02 am »

Shrek: Dwarf Fortress.
Slaves to Farquaad: lord of Duloc chapter II: Shrek fortress: histories of swamps and onions.

Will ogres breed in captivity, by the way?

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 22, 2015, 06:17:51 am »

Ooooo'hhhh Sanctuuuuume! Do you wanna build....

I thought for sure that was gonna be a snowman.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: October 22, 2015, 07:29:16 am »

Dorf is love, dorf is life.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: October 22, 2015, 10:31:49 am »

Man, that last battle's writing (I felt) was a let down akin to the off screen Battle of the Shire. 
Nevertheless, it was better than my intended turtle-ing and avoiding a fight and focus on completing my projects.

I do feel a bit naive of what I've done (or haven't done FUN-wise) compared to the other succession games I've been reading lately. 
But I suppose that's the charm in Breadbowl.

Anyway, I played until middle of the 12th month until 1 am, and I had to slay my OCD for completion and go to bed.

There's little story going, and I somehow stopped taking notes as I go to one area project and finish constructions mostly.

So please excuse my rants here as I list things that will probably be lost in my ending chapters:

1. Best news: sentient corpse / body parts are dumped.
1.1 OCD, still some junk in moat, set to forbid.
1.2 A minor bad news, some masterwork was atom smashed -- probably a lone bolt.  Sorry Legendary Carpenter Neblime.
1.3 I did rescue "wagon wood" -- it has its own 1x1 wood stockpile outside, forbid.  I wanted Nebime to make a wagon wood throne--but I'll give that fun to the future overseer.

2. Moat
2.1 One minor adjustment was I needed to add 2 water wheels to west power plant. 
It ran ok as long as the 1 drain pump disengaged, buy may prove complicated in future use.
So I went for more power, and KIS (keep it simple) via 2 bridges for drain, and 1 bridge for refill.

2.2 North refill station had stupid builders trapping themselves.  Added restricted traffic seems to help.
2.3 Added Restricted traffic in moat.

2.4 Bonus, 2 drain bridges should act like atom smashing water for faster draining via manual repeat pulls.
2.5 Question: If a manual lever linked to a bridge, can the bridge be liked to a gear for auto open and close via power lines? (no time now)

2.6 Good news, FPS is at 35 with both refill triple-triple pumps going.

3. Farms
3.1 I committed to make our main farms below ground, with no ceiling.
3.2 ceiling will get done overtime as long as the queue to make clear glass blocks are done.
3.3 I have 20 clear glass blocks in a stockpile, so I will leave that where they are.
3.4 I had to put roads in between farm plot so the trees will not grow.

3.5 Kitchen area roads are done in a nice blue cobaltite.
3.6 Stockpiles did not go as planned, so I rearranged.  Most likely my final chapters will have some sort of production flow chart of some sort.

3.7 "Mill House" and screw press is just a mess, but the windmills and millstones are untouched.  It's just no concrete plan on how to manage them.
3.7.1 Farm Plots 2 through 6 are all millable to make flour; but also brewable and we have lots, so I think we made a lot of booze.

3.8 I did create a separate 40 tile room for Plants & Dye, but did not connect with the CLG.

3.9 I have honey going, but can't figure out if I can move the hives into it's own building. I can press honeycombs though.
3.10 OCD - I build floors on ants / termites mounds when I see them. So be wary of Urist going out in the forest with rock salt blocks (and maybe even the moat).

3.11 I can't quite grasp the issue concerning creating Soap and Pressing Oils.  I know the bug about lye in buckets that are in in barrels. 
I'm unsure if tallow or oil need also be in stockpile without barrels.
I suppose we don't have pressable items.  Olive Pits seems useless as I thought Olive Oil is possible.  No other "nut" can be pressed to make oil.
I know I have had success with "rock nuts" but King's Mandate forbid the use for that underground crop.

4. Marble
4.1 Yeah I found it exposed near from that one deep cavern where the "Reacher" was in the units list.
4.2 There's a spot to dig straight down.  But then OCD kicks in and I now have extra room shelter / rest stop lockable by bridge.  Maybe I should put a pick here, and call it a "oh crap shelter"
4.3 Got some steel going though.

5. Steel Battle Axe for the Duke
5.1 I make steel battle axe so I can get Gwolfski to cut glumprongs with all other axes forbid (except new steel battle axe), and he with the only woodcutter labor.  But Shafts and Earthen takes the steel axes first. 
5.2 I order 5 more steel axes and forget the whole thing.  So if the duke goes out and chops wood, you'll know what's up.
5.3 What does 100 cap from elves mean? Is that 100 trees, or 100 logs?

6. Labors and Happiness and Dwarf Therapist.
6.1 I nicknamed a few with "Corpse Duty" and there is a bug in DT that has Squad IP Civilians !.  It turns out "Rakust" something still shows in DT, but no longer a citizen.  I had to remove this from DT and it's fixed.  I instead created Corpse Duty squad.
6.2 Lots of unhappy people, and Happy Place burrow has all these citizens roaming with "red down arrows" but I think they are hanging on.  They roam between the mayor's house, to the luxury jails, and to that happy place dinning / lounge. 

6.3 No wonder the cages aren't moving, they were set to forbid.  That fixed, the metal cages were used :( So slow to reload those outside.

7. Castles
7.1 Speaking of castle. I think the moat and walls are a start.
7.2 The Wall Construction burrow is set to be 4z tall, so there is plenty of room to build ramparts.
7.3 Speaking of ramparts, West Drain and North Drain can be considered rampart for they are enclosed and roof with fortification. 
7.4 West Drain can only be accessed from the inside kithens.
7.5 North Drain is a separate building, but can be dig to for inside access only in the future.

7.6 CLG is an internal building with 2nd floor fortification, so a possible rampart when roofed, and made to be accessed from the inside only.
7.7 The Blacksmith's 2nd floor is also roofed and half fortification on the North and East for line of sight of the east bridge.  Access from the Blacksmith building only instead of the outside ramps.

7.8 z88 is where I make the animal stock pile for goblins, trolls, ogress* and gorlak. It has a microline door too, the way I dig for stone so I can forbid and cut off pathing for FPS savings later.

8. Fishing Shack, Fishery, Boneyard, Butcher.
8.1 I got the fishing shack with 3 grates, and a shut off bridge.
8.2 4 Fishery built.
8.3 the Boneyard is a mess.
8.4 I am building 4 Craftdwarf shops above the fishery--still working on the floors.
8.5 There is room below the Fishery for future stockpile flow on how the shells / bones can be used to decorate but that's someone elses' project maybe.
8.6 The stairs from Fishing to Fishery to Fish stockpile to Kitchen should work out ok.
8.7 Deconstruct old Craftsdwarf and walls, and expand the building to house 2 Butcher Shops.
8.8 Stairs down to Meat Stockpile should prove a bit more better for flow.
8.9 Maybe in the future, these will connect to the CLG also

9. My "cheesy" Architecture Design screenshot is done. :D

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 105