Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 421613 times)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [40.24]
« Reply #450 on: November 02, 2015, 02:56:38 am »

- Savescumming is more acceptable here than in many forts, since Breadbowl doesn't run on chaos and mismanagement the way other forts do.

Wait, we dont?

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 02, 2015, 03:16:10 am »

- Savescumming is more acceptable here than in many forts, since Breadbowl doesn't run on chaos and mismanagement the way other forts do.

Wait, we dont?
Well I mean we could. There's nothing stopping us.

But so far the place has been relatively peaceful, and as a result the narrative has focused more on character interaction and relationships as we build up a functional farming settlement. It's completely avoided straining the suspension of disbelief. Compared to Immortalitytower, Constructivory or Murderflood, Breadbowl is a semi-realistic tale of a medieval fantasy farming village. No lovecraftian horrors (yet), no vanity megaprojects (yet), no weird religious cults (yet)... I kinda like that. And it's easier to get connected to the dwarfs when you don't expect them to die horribly within the year.

And also, I hate to say it, but everyone whose been overseer here has been... uh... kinda...

... well, don't take offence to this, but you've all been... uh...

... competent.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 03:21:49 am by QuQuasar »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: November 02, 2015, 08:47:39 am »

There is a hype about this dragon from The Hill of Death.

All I got was some stank dragon fart that made the duke sleep for a couple of days.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 02, 2015, 09:13:57 pm »

This is a parchment envelope. It is stamped with the seal of The Old Nets, in blue dimple dye wax. On the item are the words "Gwolfski Uristirtir of Imarust" in charcoal lettering.

To Duke Gwolfski Uristirtir, "Daggerdangles" of Imarust, "Breadbowl"
- from the pen of Fath Likotoslan, Outpost Liason
- on behalf of His Highness, King Sibrek Logemtad, Low King of The Old Nets,

His highness, King Sibrek Logemtad of The Old Nets, would like to congratulate the dwarves of Imarust, "Breadbowl", on their increased production of both food and alcohol this year. Under the guidance of Overseer Sanctume your production has exceeded our expectations and the original production quota, and the mountainhome is enjoying the delicious food and drink you provide with every caravan.

Unfortunately, it falls to me to inform you of a clerical error relating to your quota. An administrator misplaced the decimal point when calculating the amount of food required to feed the population of The Old Nets. Your previous target of 3000 food 6000 drink was out... by a factor of 10.

Please rest assured the administrator in question has been punished, and will not be writing anything with that hand ever again.

Again, the dwarves of Hallpondered congratulate you on your impressive increase in production and offer you our encouragement in reaching the revised production targets of 30,000 food, 60,000 drink.

Yours,
Fath Likotoslan,
On behalf of His Highness, King Sibrek Logemtad

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 02, 2015, 09:46:33 pm »

Beardless mother's milk in a cup! Ten folds quota for food and booze will require potash to increase the farm output by 50%. 

The making and hauling of stone pots will no longer suffice.

Even if we increase the pot shops from 4 to 8, that will still choke efficiency.

Magma is the answer.  Magma glass furnace will have unlimited resources to make pots in the middle of the kitchen.

And then, we make a glass dome over the entire circular walls!

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 03, 2015, 11:18:59 am »

This is a parchment envelope. It is stamped with the seal of Imarust, in blue dimple dye wax. It is addressed to King Sibrek Logemtad, Low King of the Old Nets in charcoal lettering.

Your Grace,

Holy ****.

That will take a bit more than my year-long term as Overseer.

Sincerely yours,

LordBrassroast Onolnelas, Lord Overseer

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 03, 2015, 12:03:41 pm »

((OOC: These are just my notes taken while playing the game. I write for DF in a sort of "stream-of-consciousness" style, so some of this may of may not seem "unimportant" or "boring."))

This is a -cat leather bound journal-. The thread is midnight blue with dimple dye.

Overseer's Log, Spring 241:

I, LordBrassroast have assumed control of this "fortress". And by fortress, I mean Filthy Human town. A bare few things are below the surface, in rightful stone. Nigh-all important buildings are built aboveground and we sleep in filthy sand or far aboveground.

We have 9 full-time soldiers and 10 "Neighborhood watch". We have a lot of people, and I am expanding the military by at least 15 individuals.

As Vucarstinthad, Cook has been convicted of multiple counts of disorderly conduct, which in our society means "beating the living shit out of random people until the militia takes you down".

Speaking of justice, we have no Fortress Guard, just one guard captain. This needs to be rectified.

Umm... As was beat to death by Sanctume in the course of justice. I was thinking he would be imprisoned for a little while. Whatever. One less dwarf to feed.

A semi-wild giant olm has forgotten their training. This is a slight problem.

Said olm has just reverted to a wild state. However, it is surrounded by other giant olms. Who the HFS thought this was a good idea?!?

I am putting through the order to build more butcher shops and butcher several excess animals. We should have more meat.

The elf caravan has just arrived!

And a few hours behind them, some bastard diplomat. She goes to talk to Gwolfski. I follow, while QuQuasar goes to give the snooty treehugging elves all our hard-earned food.

The elf wants us to stop the "senseless slaughter" of trees. Lady, did you not smell the charcoal when you came in? See the village made of wooden buildings! No. Screw you. We cannot stop our production because of your quaint (read: stupid-arse) sensibilities. She blathers about some goblin attacks, and it sounds like they're having a bit of a hard time with it. Then she makes a short joke and leaves.

I order more wardogs to be trained.

By armok, it takes forever to haul all the food we produce to the depot.

While trading, I realize I am an idiot. The dwarves are uselessly hauling a ridculous amount of wood barrels to the elves, who will refuse to take them. I amend my earlier hauling orders.

Some dwarves aren't hauling. Say it's not their job. I tell them it's their gorram job now.

I trade for 2 male dingoes (hopefully a female will show, if not they'll be tasty), a black bear, and all the clothes they have. I noticed some citizens committing indecent exposure earlier ((and OOC I'm too lazy to make a real clothing industry)) so these will help. The elves leave with a little less than every gorram crumb, because we literally cannot fit all the crap onto their mules.

We traded 3620 drinks, 3469 prepared meals, 24 raw meat, and a few raw plants. It's hard to get an exact count on the plants.

Our woodcutter has no axe. I assume this is because of Bearskie and his "Total Armanent Project." I will remove the woodcutter from his squad and hope that solves the problem.

Except he's not in a squad. He's hauling, so I can only assume he will pick up an axe after he is done. We certainly have free axes.

While wandering in the halls of our forefathers, I discover a naked, crying gorlak chaired to the coffin of SQman. WHAT THE SWEET ARMOK F**K.

Gwolfski wants us to forge more armanents in the form of battleaxes. I heartily agree with him.

I begin adding another level to the aboveground apartments.

Just in time for a horde of migrants to arrive.

2 millers, a surgeon, a diagnoser, an engraver, a miner, 2 carpenters, a shearer, 4 fisherdwarves, a mason, a metalcrafter, an armorsmith, some miscellaneous farmers, a clerk and a man who apparently dissects small animals for fun. All told, nigh on thirty souls.

Quasar, in the spirit of goblin-murder mandates, has mandated a set of bolts. I am very happy he mandated this, and not a slade bed like the typical noble moron.

We ran out of bauxite and petrified wood blocks, so instead of the new apartments having a beautiful red color scheme, they are a bastard mix of random colors. Wonderful.

Some random fisherdwarf is stumbling about obliviously. I decide that happiness is an important priority in this fort.

The idiot hunters keep getting scared by the animals they were happily pumping bolts into a moment before. Freakin' idiots.

Gwolfski starts a pointless and boring party, the kind that's just an excuse for nobles to talk about themselves. I don't really value merrymaking.

One of the new miners wants to be called "Bismuth Lad, the Rock Collector". Whatever. As long as he keeps mining.

Gwolfski mandates more axes, new butcher's building is being set up, clear-cutting inside the walls proceeds apace, all is well.

New Butchers:

The rest of spring proceeds uneventfully.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 01:05:12 pm by LordBrassroast »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 03, 2015, 01:24:14 pm »

Chapter 25 (Duty Is Heavy As A Mountain)

As Vucarstinthad, "As Urntheater", Cook
As Vucarstinthad has become haggard and drawn due to the tremendous stresses placed on her and is throwing a tantrum. 
She is married to Sibrek Steelfaith and has one child:  `Child' Puceportal.  She is the daughter of Zasit Gazepaged and `Sanctume' Tongswane. 

Speaking of justice, we have no Fortress Guard, just one guard captain. This needs to be rectified.
Umm... As was beat to death by Sanctume in the course of justice. I was thinking he would be imprisoned for a little while. Whatever. One less dwarf to feed.

"Curse on you duke Gwolfski! Now I paid the blood price for your political schemes with our mayor Quasar. 
What tragedy has come for a father to bring upon the fist of Armok's justice to his only daughter?
What bloody hand is this? I call this spirit of murder to make thick my blood that hides in the cowardice veil of duty.  This act does not lead up the access and passage of remorse. Nay, I am but a pawn in Armok's amusement. Damned to conflict.
I am a sorry sight, foolish to a fault.  I see thee still, and on thy bludgeoned skull and dudgeon gouts of blood. It is a bloody business which brings the ethos of dwarven justice.
Will the great ocean in the southeast wash this blood?  Will my gauntlet make back to a polished steel from a rusty red?
Here lay my daughter, her silver skin laced with golden blood.
Ah, good father, thou seest, the pantheons play, as troubled with a dwarf's act, threatens this bloody stage I name Breadbowl." -- Sanctume,  Spring 241.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 03, 2015, 05:44:11 pm »

Dang, Lord Brassroast. You made a father kill his own daughter. That's harsh, even by dwarf fortress standards.

That will take a bit more than my year-long term as Overseer.

Not to worry: 30,000 is the ultimate goal, to feed every dwarf of our civ. The next milestones you should be aiming for are 6000 food and the same for booze, and it sounds like you're well on the way.

A semi-wild giant olm has forgotten their training. This is a slight problem.

Said olm has just reverted to a wild state. However, it is surrounded by other giant olms. Who the HFS thought this was a good idea?!?

I'd recommend turning off all other labors on May: last I checked, she was our best animal trainer. Maybe add a second dedicated trainer/animal handler.

We traded 3620 drinks, 3469 prepared meals, 24 raw meat, and a few raw plants. It's hard to get an exact count on the plants.

I'll count the meat towards the yearly score. The plants will have to be a write-off, since you don't have a number for them.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 06:00:03 pm by QuQuasar »

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 04, 2015, 03:39:49 am »

It was me! It was me!

-Hey, you're the new guy, aren't you? Bismuth Lad, if I'm not mistaken? - asked the chief miner, looking at the new addition to his crew.
-Aye, the famous collector and researcher Bismuth Lad Athelneth at your service.
-Famous? No offense, but I've never heard of you.
-Well, academies in human towns use my research to teach their students geology. That's not really the "dragon slayer" kind of fame, you see.
-Huh. But now you're here with a pick in your hands. How come?
-I could teach the tall men about rocks, but that would feel wrong. A dwarf needs to do some real work from time to time, or else he'll go mad. Or so I've heard. There's one more reason, but let's get to work. We have marble to mine.
-I see I won't have any trouble getting you to work. All right, the stuff is all the way down that passage. Let's go!

This is a worn one-humped camel leather journal. It is encircled with bands of of granite and jet.

Notes of Bismuth Lad Athelneth

Breadbowl is exactly what I thought it would be: a bizarre amalgamation of a dwarven fortress, a human keep and an elven forest retreat with some kobold burrow added to the mix. It has its own charm, however, and I'm sure my stay here won't be completely unpleasant.

I've arrived in the middle of some family drama. Apparently the captain of the guard has killed his own daughter trying to apprehend her. Something tells me there is a story behind it, but I'm not sure if I want to get involved in such an ugly situation. Probably not.

Back to my research. I've seen the mines and I've managed to take a look at the caverns. There seems to be nothing out of ordinary. No sign of living crystal formations, rampaging clusters of peridot, or any other kind of gem monsters. I will have to ask those who claim to have seen one, but for now, I will remain skeptical. Surely, if there was a monster, there would be remains of its victims scattered around, right?

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 07, 2015, 04:40:25 am »

Thought I'd check in on how the Hell of Emancipating's war against pretty much everyone is going.

(Click the image if you can't see the entire picture...)

Pretty well for them. Another 7 sites conquered, including Hatchetpatterns, one of The Old Net's sites (that's that one to the far east).

However, hope rises in the north! Our humans, the Kingdom of Color, have started fighting back, taking Agepoisons from them and laying siege to Singrooves. It seems their leader, goblin law-giver Anig Spicypolish (whom we've met already), holds no fondness for his kind. Or perhaps he's heard the rumours about She who leads them, and would free his kind from Her cruel leadership...  (haha I'm so subtle and cryptic)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 04:46:44 am by QuQuasar »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 07, 2015, 06:46:55 am »

Harp harp, you speak in riddles Quasar, though I see that year 240 marks their first incursion into the Dwarven strongholds of the east. Whooey, this is gonna be a helluva war. Remember, if anyone asks, we're totally not responsible.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 08, 2015, 07:21:58 pm »

It looks like Breadbowl is starting to experience FPS problems in the most recent save. A few relevant suggestions taken from the wiki:

* Use a Dwarven Atom Smasher to remove items, or donate them to passing caravans to be taken away.

* Dwarven water reactors also slow down the game, often significantly.
(Sanctume built one for filling/unfilling the moat.)

* Setting corridors to "high" traffic, and dead-end workshop rooms next to them to "low" traffic, means the pathfinder algorithm will search more quickly along the corridor, and waste less time searching in the rooms.

* Open "quarry pits" are pathfinding traps. Seal them off from your fort with walls when you are done with them.
(We've got a few quarry-rooms that could be sealed off, or you could channel out the floors to make them unreachable)

* Caverns are probably the worst offender for pathfinding in irrelevant areas. So keep any part you aren't occupying closed off.

* Avoid pet-impassible doors; animals will stand at the door and continuously path through it.Bug:797
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 07:27:03 pm by QuQuasar »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: November 08, 2015, 08:27:03 pm »

There 2 water reactors.  Deconstruct the screw pump "starters" should stop the water wheels.
If not, then if you deconstruct the gear holding the water wheels will deconstruct all the water wheel arrays.
In order to remake the water wheels, construct floor as needed then deconstruct floors.

My quarries should have door entrances, and I think forbidding the door will cut off pathing to save FPS.

Animals will need to be culled and choose high food yields only.

QSP really helps in FPS.  IIRC, each open stockpile space takes some processing time for job labor calcs.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #464 on: November 14, 2015, 12:21:09 pm »

Could I have a dwarf and a turn?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 105