Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 424391 times)

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [40.24]
« Reply #480 on: December 03, 2015, 04:23:48 pm »

When another army turns up to siege I'm p. sure you can rname them with dfhack
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: December 08, 2015, 03:48:02 pm »

PyroTechno hasn't got back to me. Turn falls to jwoodward48df.

Good luck!

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: December 12, 2015, 02:44:27 am »

Welp.

jwoodward48df has bowed out, leaving us without any overseer left in the queue.

I may not be online for the next 10 days, so if you want the next turn, just download the latest save and get started.

First come, first served.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [40.24] (Requesting Overseers!)
« Reply #483 on: December 12, 2015, 02:51:53 am »

Gaaark. If by the end of this week nobody takes the turn, Bearskie the reluctant communist farmer will once again don the overseer's mantle.

And I do sincerely mean one week, because I'm in the thick of exams right now. >.>

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: December 13, 2015, 01:45:59 pm »

I'll take a turn if no one else has started already.  Can do the first post by the end of the night.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: December 13, 2015, 10:21:53 pm »

Good luck. ;)

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: December 14, 2015, 03:18:53 pm »

Surgeon's Journal:  Overseer Day 1

The consensus is that being the Overseer is one of the most stressful jobs a dwarf can have.  With the current state of Breadbowl, the job fell to the least stressed out one of us left; namely me.

Spoiler: Dolwina (click to show/hide)

While waiting on the western bridge to lower to regain access to the outside world, I wandered our home and compiled a few notes that will form the foundation of our labors for the next few months.

Subject 1:  Stress

The citizens of Breadbowl are currently at a critical stage as far as stress levels are concerned.  Several citizens have been quarantined for their own well being, but reducing their mental state to nominal status will exceed reasonable timelines at the current rate.  The quarantine zone is the correct solution, but is insufficient in its current state.  Adding additional rooms for personal bedrooms and dining areas will allow family access for increased happy thoughts via conversation and removal of dormitory living stresses.

Material specific dining tables and chairs will be required; I have begun a list of work orders to give to Hiddenleafguy.  Cages with favorite animals and/or weapon traps will also be provided if available.

For a long term permanent solution to the corpse related stress inducers, magma is of course the solution.  Orders have been given to the miners to continue exploration deeper into the earth.  Iron minecarts added to the work orders for transport.

Subject 2:  Clothing & Equipment Issues

While dwarven anatomy does not particularly bother those in my profession, it is still somewhat disconcerting having all of the Neighborhood Watch running around without trousers on.

I have enabled collection of the goblin equipment that is currently forbidden outside of the gates.  Goblin trousers are better than, oh what is that layman term.... 'freeballin'?  Leather trousers and cloaks have been added to the order list, although our current leather reserve is insufficient.  Given our current wool surplus, a new round of trousers for everyone is called for to avoid such issues in the future.

On a somewhat peculiar note, Quasar has been feeling some hallucinatory effects lately.  Possibly due to stress and should be monitored closely.

He insists that he is currently wearing gloves and boots, yet cannot describe them.  I suggested that a change of clothes into full iron armor would strike a more imposing figure, which thankfully he found acceptable. 

Upon further inspection of civilian attire, every single dwarf has been complaining about the lack of backpacks to store meals in.  The king's mandate aside, this is inefficient and unnecessary.  Modification of attire has been completed.

No one shall reserve meals, and only the active military and Neighborhood Watch shall be allowed flasks.  My original thought was to exclude the Watch as well, but the thought of being accosted by 10 pantsless dwarves for taking away their quick access to booze was a deterrent.

Subject 3:  Labor Organization

Currently there are a large number of dwarves employed in tasks they are currently untrained or in fields that are currently oversaturated.  I took some time to review our roster and shuffle job allocation around.  Mainly removing excess dwarves for the time being.  I would rather have a few truly exceptional dwarves in a job field than a dozen sufficient ones.  This will increase our idle hands in the short term, although construction will be keeping us busy.  The masons refuse to acknowledge my building designs until the bridge lowers; they are an oddball caste to be sure.

Subject 4:  Military

Our soldiers are a small but dangerous bunch.  The goblins have felt their sting and will return again in strength.  Oh yes, they will return without question.  Over and over until we are all dead or we break their spirit.  I fully intend to bring about the latter.

11 candidates have been selected to reinforce our 2 main squads.  The notice was given but the draft will be delayed while additional armor and weaponry is being crafted to give our current soldiers first dibs on the best equipment.  I beckoned Taupe over in between sparring sessions and outlined a few changes to the military structure.  I was rather concerned by the scowl he gave me when I breached the subject, but military folk are a practical lot after all.  He could see the wisdom of the training regiment for the new recruits and additional security measures.  I think he actually smiled some when I showed him the new barracks plans.  I'm not much of a people person, so I could be wrong.  My view of dwarfkind has always been a bit differently from the masses after all...

Subject 5:  Pastures

On a more mundane note, the yak and water buffaloe enclosures haven been grazed down until they are almost nothing but clay.

A temporary pasture has been designated to the northeast while the grassland regenerates.  Culling excess animals will ultimately become necessary.  Currently on hold due to Subject 1 and will begin upon successful magma transport.  Languor, Olm, and Elk Bird populations also beginning to exceed nominal figures.

Subject 6:  Medical Science

Current medical knowledge in the fortress is insufficient.  Preparations have begun to insure proper medical staff will be available when the need arises.  A dabbling surgeon is the last thing a dwarf wants to see when his life is on the line.  The true nature of the training structure might be frowned upon by the general populace, and I was rather vague when giving reasons for the training apparatus.  Medical knowledge must press on after all.

Subject 7:  Stocks

Critical shortage of leather, gypsum plaster, silver, and tin.  Galena smelting is underway.  Leather will be acquired from the human and dwarven caravans.  Mental note to order lots more gypsum plaster from the caravans in the future.  Tin ore is currently available in Cavern 2, but extraction will be on hold until the miners continue deeper exploration.  There might be more convenient veins to be found.

Shortage of soap, steel, and food storage items.  Soap making will resume, pending tallow availability.  Steel is currently being forged with plenty of ingredients currently available.  Food storage will be streamlined upon activation of magma powered glass forges and kilns, removing reliance on wood.

I hear the bridge lowering now, so I'll hand all these required items (3 full tablets of orders to fulfill!) to Hiddenleafguy.  The masons will soon let me designate the exterior designs, so its time to go to work!

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: December 14, 2015, 04:47:33 pm »

Finally something's happening! And it's progress, not death and destruction! Is this the post-Sanctume save? If so, I remind that I requested to be redorfed as Bismuth Lad the rock collector (miner).

I thought that excess animals were designated for slaughter long ago. That would probably be good for FPS.

Dear Athe,

I'm glad to inform you that I've arrived safely in Breadbowl. As I predicted, no scholar from the mountainhome agreed to join my expedition. I will miss living among elves, where people don't laugh at you everytime you talk about elemental energies, ambient magic, or focusing crystals. Those dwarves just don't want to agree that they don't know everything about rocks.

I'm writing to you just to ask one question: can the vital energy accumulated in peridot give life to its accumulative crystal? I know druids make peridot charms for wounded warriors, and while I'm still not convinced about those charms' healing properties, my current research object makes me wonder. If elven sages claim that bedrock rich in sunstone can cause wildfires, why wouldn't a massive chunk of peridot cause even stranger anomalies? It may just be a false track, a red herring, I haven't even seen what I'm looking for. From what I've heard, it may even be just a story for scaring kids. Either way, I'm awaiting your answer, be it a confirmation, or your disappointment in me.

Your sincerely
Bismuth Lad

Research notes of Bismuth Lad

First thing I wanted to say is that Breadbowl is a disaster when it comes to organization. I learned that there were at least three overseers since I've arrived. That was a month ago. The current one is Dolwina. She seems to be educated, which is never a bad trait for an overseer. She seems to be concerned about low morale among the dwarves. Good, maybe if her projects become complete, people in the mines won't be so grim and quiet all the time. Firstly, I can't stand it. Secondly, The louder we are, the more likely the monster is to come.

The other thing that I found outrageous: the woman who was supposedly killed by her own father is still alive. Seen her shouting obscenities at elk birds. By the way, there's a lot of elk birds, and they don't like to be yelled at. If that girl hasn't been dragged away, the birds would have broken down the fence and trample her to death.

I guess I should report some progress. I contacted some of the previous overseers. Two of them claim to have seen the gem monster and called it "Thol-anan", "deep night" in Common. I don't know if the name was given by dwarves, but if not, I might have the first clue. I also asked some additional questions, for example why aren't there any signs of "Thol-anan's" rampage? I was surprised to hear that one of the absent ex-overseers ordered to clean up in the caverns. I wanted to talk to that man. I was led to a tomb, where a crying gorlak was sitting on a comically ornate silver sarcophagus.

That dwarf's death was more than an inconvenience. He was trying to hide something. Maybe his grave hides valuable information.

Bad idea. Got bit by the damn gorlak, and all I got for it was a sight of a dwarven skeleton, and something that looked like an official complaint about trolls eating corn, obviously not sent. Weird traditions. Why am I writing this now? I need to get out of here!

I left the tomb quickly trying to hide my bleeding hand. Don't want anyone to think I'm a grave robber. That wouldn't help me find Thol-anan.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 14, 2015, 06:49:37 pm »

Finally something's happening! And it's progress, not death and destruction! Is this the post-Sanctume save?

/ooc Great to read, this is awesome Dolowin! 

I'm frozen with trepidation not know if the captain of the guard executed dwarven justice to his own daughter As.

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 14, 2015, 07:47:49 pm »

Probs not, I had to specifically flag As convicted, and if Dolwin hasn't done that, she is fine.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: December 14, 2015, 09:31:13 pm »

Great writing, both of you. Glad that the saga of Breadbowl marches on. :D

I hear the bridge lowering now, so I'll hand all these required items (3 full tablets of orders to fulfill!) to Hiddenleafguy.  The masons will soon let me designate the exterior designs, so its time to go to work!

And.... that's going to take a while. Guy's like over a hundred.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 15, 2015, 11:37:27 pm »

Might I get a turn and dorf down the line?

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 16, 2015, 12:39:06 pm »

Surgeon's Journal:  Spring

As part of the initiation of all new overseers, dwarves can declare their desire for a new persona.  We had 2 such dwarves approach me, and it has been entered into the official records.

One of our better miners has decided to be called Bismuth Lad.  Has a thing for large gems and copper.

Spoiler: Bismuth Lad (click to show/hide)

Upon hearing that he was part of the pending draft, one of the recruits wanted the codename Crazy Blades.  The blades part is understandable, since he has some basic knowledge of swordsmanship.  Crazy is a less desirable trait and he will be monitored closely.

Spoiler: Crazy Blades (click to show/hide)

As soon as the western bridge lowered and the exterior masonry plans in place, a runner approached from the lower quarters with tablet after tablet of complaints. 

38 full tablets to be exact.  All from dwarves currently in quarantine that were trying to haul items.  I formally removed all labors from those secluded belowground and asked them to kindly not bother me again until they were able to rejoin the workforce.

While I'm on the subject of dwarves bothering the everliving daylight out of me, the miners guild are next on the list.  Not long after work began on the new year, the emergency alarm sounded and a runner dispatched to me on a matter of utmost importance.  I immediately sprinted down to the quarantine zone to see just how bad the situation was.

"What's the emergency?  Cave-in?  Magma flood?  Don't tell me it was the Gorlak getting loose again!"
"The rock here is wet."
"I know it's wet.  The dwarf-made lake is right above us.  As long as you don't dig a shaft up, there won't be any issues."
"Miner's Guild Rule #1.  Any stone that's found to be wet or hot requires a full state of emergency."
"No, unexplored stone that's hot or wet needs to be examined closely.  We know exactly where the water is.  It's fine, trust me."
"Rule #1.  I have no say in the matter.  Please be prompt in responding to the upcoming emergency alerts."
"You are really going to bring the entire fortress to a grinding halt dozens of times over this?  No wonder the Overseership is considered so stressful"

I grit my teeth and told everyone to carry on.  Eventually the miners carved out the new quarantine rooms and the alarms finally subsided.  Work continued to progress around the fortress and my patience with the miners would eventually pay off.  When the annual elven caravan and diplomat arrived, a shout from the depths brought good tidings.

The third cavern at last!  The magma sea surely would be nearby as well.  I ordered the cavern breach sealed off and redirected the miners to continue exploring the depths. 

Meanwhile, my attendance at the meeting between Gwolfski and the elven diplomat was required.

The Duke was already aware of the current wagon highway project that was currently underway.  Seeing how we probably will exceed their arbitrary quota before summer arrives, Gwolfski refused their request without much thought.  Seeing how we are in the middle of a giant rainforest and trees aren't exactly scarce, the elves will have to deal with our presence.  We will not budge for the goblins, and we certainly wont for the elves.  If they are dumb enough to start a war with the mountainhome, they will regret it.

Perhaps in retaliation, the diplomat then went on the longest rendition of recent elven history imaginable.

Once he finally subsided, I headed to the depot to make sure the king's mandate was fulfilled properly.

Prepared meals traded = 110
Drinks traded = 4,925

We could not send anywhere close to all our food and drink to the mountainhome with the elves due to their limited pack animals.  I suggested to the trader that they start growing some wagons.  He seemed to take offense to this practical solution.  I fear I will never understand their mindset.  I was quite pleased with their animal selection however.  The two bears and especially the giraffe will be welcome additions to the pastures.  The other animals will be slaughtered for the exotic meats.

Trading completed, everyone began hauling excess pots back down to the stockpiles and resuming the various construction projects.  Tranquility was not to last much further however.

Something is causing mass panic with the pastures?

Yes, harpies qualify as an issue that would need resolving.  At first I rotated between the Shafts and the Assaults to try and predict where the harpies would strike, but they seemed much more interested in flying close enough to cause panic but not to actually attack anything.  After a couple days, I requested that the Watch keep an eye out and attack them whenever they could, and sent the melee dwarves back to continue sparring in the barracks.  The Watch assured me that they would handle it, and they seem competent enough.

Meanwhile, this happened:

Magma, at last!  The warmth and power were a sight for sore eyes.  I designated a magma collection area to be dug and an exploratory shaft on the level above to see if the adamantine spire extended upwards.  Everyone is so busy as it is with construction that it might take a little while to be completed, but its good to have a plan in place.

Migrants arrived soon thereafter.  27 strong dwarves looking to provide for the empire.  The metalsmith was the only one of any significance, but this many dwarves with no stress are a welcome sight and have been put to work.

Spoiler: Migrants (click to show/hide)

As the migrants were getting settled a cheer rose up from the western part of the moat.

One of the harpies had been knocked into the moat by a swift bolt through her wing.  The Watch focus fired her down without mercy.  Having the corpse in the moat isnt ideal, but it will take quite some time before we can obsidianize it.  Something to plan for to be sure.  Another harpy was sniped atop the garbage chute shortly afterwards, while the third fled our lands in terror. 

With spring winding down, a review of the season's tasks is in order.

Subject 1:  Stress

The quarantine improvements have been completed. 

The four dwarves with the worst symptoms each have their own wings with a corresponding burrow to encompass both their rooms and the traditional quarantine zone.  Animal therapy is a success for most, although having a caged horse in your bedroom seems like it would be a health concern.

Spoiler: Vabok (click to show/hide)

While not as haggard as some of his fellows in the quarantine, it was good to see Bearskie's sprits up.  He is close to snapping out of his funk, although a good rain would probably send him right back into it.  Seeing how we are in a rainforest, he will remain in quarantine for additional treatments.

Spoiler: Bearskie (click to show/hide)

Bearskie announced throughout the fortress that he was throwing a party in the main dining hall to celebrate, then immediately realized that he couldn't actually go to the party.  A few dwarves confirmed that they would attend and raise their glasses 'in his honor', but I'm of the opinion that they were looking for an excuse to hang out and drink to excess instead of work.

Subject 2:  Clothing & Equipment Issues

I'm pleased to see that the clothing issues have been mostly resolved.  One of the Watch is now missing both trousers and armor, which is a symptom of troubling mental issues.  I asked May to make a couple more pieces of armor to see if this rectifies the issue.  If not, more drastic actions may be required.

Subject 3:  Labor Organization

Everyone seems content with their new jobs.  Most dwarves are currently employed with construction projects and idler count remains low.  Construction is aggravatingly slow on the caravan highway network.  Our people keep canceling their road designations due to logs in the way that are reserved for adjacent road sections.  It will slowly but surely resolve itself with time.

Subject 4:  Military

The new barracks is in place (minus the floor paneling, which will be installed shortly), and armor/weapon production is underway.  The draft has not been formally instituted yet, as we are still short on dwarfpower for construction and hauling. 

The ground view of the barracks:

One level above:

The ramps allow caravans to travel above the barracks and into the fortress.  The bridge is connected to the lever in the southwestern corner of the dining hall (properly notated with the N function), and is to be raised when under attack.  This will force the goblins to enter the fortress through the barracks, where they will march single file into our waiting soldiers without the opportunity for enemy bowfire.

Subject 5:  Pastures

I'm not going to sit and watch the grass grow.  It will happen as it happens.

Subject 6:  Medical Science

Unfortunately Kib Domasmorul, who was earmarked to be Patient 1, did not respond as intended to the initial clinical trial.  Believed to be a lamentable fluke, minor corrections to the system have been instituted.

Subject 7:  Stocks

Soap is now at an acceptable level, but production continues while convenient.  Giant Olm tallow has been forbidden for cooking in order to ensure availability.  Steel and galena smelting is ongoing.  No change in other stock related issues.

Summer is here, and it is time for work to resume.  To work we go!

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 16, 2015, 01:42:30 pm »

Drinking in the Fisher's Guild with the smith Dodok Ostdatan.

"I figure the duke will change his mind about those elves," mutters Sanctume,  "Surely the new recruits will use glumprong wood shields for its higher density than other wood, and it's purple!" 

Dodok disagrees, "We've got plenty metals, no need for wooden shields."

"Only if they can carry all those weight," countered Sanctume.  "Anyway, I like this new overseer.  He build us a new barracks.  I should have thoughts of that!  Anyway, I hope he remembers to give use our private stores of food and drinks." "Mainly drinks really," emphasized Sanctume.

Dodok somberly asks, "Whatever happened to the kid?  Datan, I think is his name.  He going to be a recruit?" 

Sanctume stares at his drink for some time, "it seems like a lifetime ago.  It would be a shame if he dies from hunger or starvation being in a place where we give away all our harvest."

Sanctume shakes his head, "the duke and his malicious mind bans me from going ever near."

Dodok ponders aloud, "maybe the Surgeon would defy the duke and act upon compassion unlike your take on duty." 

Sanctume remains silent for having this same argument in the past, "perhaps."

« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 01:44:39 pm by Sanctume »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: December 16, 2015, 11:00:06 pm »

I'd like to take a turn of this, please.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 105