Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 425875 times)

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [40.24] (Requesting Overseers!)
« Reply #510 on: December 22, 2015, 01:25:02 am »

Post to watch.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Shûl-nak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: December 22, 2015, 01:38:34 pm »

Thought I'd check in on DF's progress, and then stayed up all night reading through the Breadbowl saga. I even felt obliged to break lurker status and post. Well done to all the overseers, it's been an entertaining read!

As others have said, it makes a pleasant change of pace to other community forts. The eerily quiet dragonhills are a nice lurking threat in the narrative, though. Things could still get !!FUN!! fast.

I'd love a crack at overseership. And please dorf me as whatever dwarf has the highest 'biting' skill... I think Breadbowl's emphasis on food should also be reflected in their fighting style, no?

If none are available, just put me down as a butcher/tanner/bonecarver type. I do like to indulge my morbid streak.

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 22, 2015, 03:47:59 pm »

Surgeon's Journal:  Autumn

Our hunter skillfully avoided the foul green smoke, so that was one mini-crisis avoided.  Captain Sanctume dropped by shortly afterwards and reminded me of the sole symptom of the smoke that knocks you unconscious for a brief period.  Since no one had ever been admitted to my ward for diagnosis, it had slipped my mind.

First order of business for the Autumn was to drain the moat.  Several ogre corpses are floating around and would cause issues down the road, as well as how long it delayed the resolution of the siege we had in the summer while everyone waded through the moat instead of pathing into the barracks.  Quite a few items in the moat had previously been marked for dumping, so I had to reassign the designations for all useful items we could recover to prevent unnecessary losses.

The various quarries we have dug out have quite a few spider webs accumulating in them, so I released those dwarves in the quarrantine that felt back to normal and allowed them to resume their normal jobs, as well as web collection.  I reserved the 3 looms here for our best weavers to create masterwork cloth, while the others solely collected the raw materials.

On a happier note, Lor's body was given back to Armok by encasing it in obsidian.  With the aquifer water purified, the second well was reopened.  No more waiting in line for baths or fetching water.
Spoiler: Something like this (click to show/hide)

Sanctume finally decided on a name for his shield and rushed to show it off to everyone.  Confuselathers he calls it; why that name is still a mystery to me.  While he was pointing out the finer parts of its craftsmanship, he reminded me that the Wild Child was tabbed for military service once he comes of age, and should have a bedroom near his.  This request was sensible enough and easily granted.

Perhaps due to the failed invasion earlier, the goblin's decided to try a different tactic.

When the goblin bastard was strolling out, he couldnt help but brag of their evil deeds.
Spoiler: Bragging (click to show/hide)

I know diplomacy will never lead us anywhere with them.  They are going to keep coming and coming for me us.  We must prepare and keep vigilant.

Shortly thereafter, the dwarven caravan and liason arrived.  I was quite pleased to see the new barracks depot entrance working as intended.

Unfortunately, the caravan wasn't the only new arrival to Breadbowl.  A sinister hum resonating through the first cavern announced a visitor.

I had the citizenry start hauling our foodstocks to the depot and asked the Assaults and Shafts assemble by the door leading to the caverns.  Once he came close enough, LordBrassroast lead the charge to engage the mighty beast.

After a short but fierce battle, the bee lay lifeless on the cavern floor.

No one wanted to claim credit for the kill; they said it was a team effort.  Regardless, the caverns were safe once more.  Given the astounding number of webs reported therein, I left the caverns open for web collection and corpse retrieval.

Meanwhile, the food and drink were finally finished hauling to the depot. 

Spoiler: Trade Screen (click to show/hide)

The total output was 8376 Prepared Meals and 2023 Drinks.  We took all the stone, bars, leather, and cloth from the caravan.  Most disappointingly, they did not bring a single bag of gypsum plaster.  We will be extremely short of supply on casts until the next caravan comes.  The abundance of leather was a nice touch, and May has been put to work crafting more clothing for the citizens.

Quasar's meeting with the dwarven diplomat was considered a success in my books.

Pig iron bars, steel bars, raw platinum, some specialty leather, and gypsum plaster were ordered.  Everything else is easily obtainable with our natural resources on hand.  The diplomat seemed pleased with the overall output of food and drink, yet reminded us just how far away from our expected output it was.  Regardless, we are making progress and that is what counts in my book.

A small cheer went up as the magma was finally dumped into the refuse pit, allowing permanent removal of all unwanted items.  No more accumulation of stress due to corpse piles!  With this, the haulers were sent out to collect all the ogre corpses and begin the cleansing process.  Yet this joy was quickly forgotten, for on the horizon came a sight that the people would not soon forget.

I find it ironic that out of all of the changes to Breadbowl during my tenure, for better or worse, that this will be what my stewardship is remembered for.  Rhinos provide a substantial amount of meat when butchered, and breeding them will do wonders for our prepared meal output.

Not to be outdone, Murky had finally settled on a name for his axe.  The Tongue of Passes.  It's probably for the best that I not ask him why.

Dwarven life is never short on strife for long however.  Eshtan, one of our new woodcutter migrants, was gathering up skeletons in the second cavern for incineration when he was cornered by a group of molemarians.  I had ordered the Watch and the Shafts into the caverns for support when they were first sighted, but the distance was vast.

Unfortunately, none would arrive in time to save poor Eshtan.

Helpunites and his 2 molemarian brethren must die, no mercy!

Likot of the Watch was the first to engange, and held them off while the Shafts approached to reinforce.  Likot took a bit of a beating, but all the molemarians were vanquished.

A silver lining to the tragedy: a giant cave spider was engaged in a battle with a giant olm, then wandered into one of the cages in the caverns immediately after the battle. This will be a boon to our silk industry and should eliminate the need for us to remain in the caverns.

Autumn has come to an end while I wait for Likot to arrive in the hospital.  My thoughts lie with Eshtan and his encounter with the molemarians.  It could have been any of us in his shoes.  Threats to me us can come from all directions.  Renewed vigilance is called for; they will not get me.  No one will!

Subject 1:  Stress

Only 4 dwarves remain in quarantine.  Bearskie in particular was most pleased to return and has attended 2 parties already this season.  With the magma refuse chute, accumulated stress due to corpses should diminish over time.

Subject 2:  Clothing & Equipment Issues

Silk and leather clothing production continues.  The GCS will require a constructed collection pen, which should be finished in early winter.

Subject 3:  Military

Bolt stocks are low and being resupplied.  The recruits are responding well to the new training regiment and will be quite proficient fighters by the time the goblins strike again.

Subject 4:  Pastures

The giraffe grazed its pasture down to clay by the end of the season and has been relocated to a larger pasture.  Rhinos are ravenous creatures and will require a huge pastureland soon.  A new set of pasture designations will be necessary in the immediate future.

Subject 5:  Medical Science

Datan underwent the clinical trial once more with minimal results.  The modifications to the system will be completed in early winter and improved results are expected soon.

Subject 6:  Stocks

Soap supplies continue to rise.  One more set of 30 bars should suffice for quite some time.  Leather is in sufficient quantities now, so the only really critical issue that remains is gypsum plaster.  With no natural gypsum available to us, the only option is waiting on the caravan next autumn.

Winter is upon us and my tenure as overseer will soon be at an end.  Hopefully I can accomplish the remaining plans I have in this timeframe, but time waits for no dwarf.  Regardless, safety precautions must be put in place.  I We will not be subdued!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 22, 2015, 04:24:18 pm »

I like how the combat log against the forgotten beast ends with ''The commander scratches the forgotten beast in the head, fracturing the chiting and bruising the brain''. That's his entire contribution to the fight. He just showed up at the very end and... bitchslapped the monster to death. That's not the first foe he vanquishes this way. I guess at this point his battlecry is simply ''Bitch, please.''

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 22, 2015, 05:03:01 pm »

[ooc]

Great update Dolwin!

I forgot who has "The Wrestler" profession name--was it Olon or Obbok?  He was the one who helped SQMan against the troll Zolak. 

Looking at the pasture, I remember I had to construct floors on the growing sapplings, some under a roof which is bad for this version.  It looks like there are few more starting to grow.  And at the same time, those floors should be deconstructed so moss will grow back.

And a GCS would be nice to set some webbed cages in the future.  Are rhinos war trainable?

I forgot to add: 

I lol at the obsidian casting.  Won't it be epic if said drown baby Lor that is obsidianized have engraving of its story on it?

[/ooc]

Holy beards, 8376 Prepared Meals prepared meals!  That's over ten percent of the adjusted sixty thousand meals the king mandated. 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 05:12:20 pm by Sanctume »

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 22, 2015, 05:35:08 pm »

I forgot who has "The Wrestler" profession name--was it Olon or Obbok?  He was the one who helped SQMan against the troll Zolak. 

Looking at the pasture, I remember I had to construct floors on the growing sapplings, some under a roof which is bad for this version.  It looks like there are few more starting to grow.  And at the same time, those floors should be deconstructed so moss will grow back.

Most of the new recruits are wrestlers, since the demonstrations are usually things other than weapon demonstrations.  They will get the proper tags once they start sparring a bit.  As for the constructed flooring, I assumed they were rocks that had been smoothed over.  I'll deconstruct those.  Dirt roads work much better than constructed floors in pastures though.  They will naturally revert to grassland on their own.  I already did a round of dirt road construction once, but its time for it again apparently.

I'll be out of town for the holidays starting tomorrow.  I'll be back late Sunday and will probably wrap up my turn by next Tuesday the 29th or so.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 23, 2015, 05:25:05 am »

Dolwin just exported nearly as much prepared meals as the past 5 overseers combined. Bloody hell.

Welp, at least I still have my drinks record intact.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: December 23, 2015, 10:49:59 am »

Surgeon's Journal:  Autumn

First order of business for the Autumn was to drain the moat.  Several ogre corpses are floating around and would cause issues down the road, as well as how long it delayed the resolution of the siege we had in the summer while everyone waded through the moat instead of pathing into the barracks.  Quite a few items in the moat had previously been marked for dumping, so I had to reassign the designations for all useful items we could recover to prevent unnecessary losses.

Dolowin, if the pump power plants on both the West and North are is still operational, they (2 bridge atom smasher/drain pump stopper in the moat) can be used to drain the moat also.

Mandate #9 Subcommittee: Moat Drain Project
Goal: Provide a means to drain moat in the most efficient method.
Goal: Provides solution to mandate #7 Corpse Duty Services
Goal: Provides solution to mandate #8 Moat Clearance Services

(completed) Construct Power Plant
(completed) Construct Draining Function
(completed) Construct Refill Function
(completed) Construct Housing Unit

« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 01:00:06 pm by Sanctume »

ToniK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: December 23, 2015, 10:57:46 am »

Really only one thing I can say to all this, sans the plural-

>make fine drink
>>dwarven gin («☼coffee wood barrel☼»)
>>dwarven tonic («☼green glass vial☼»)
>>wild limes [1]

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 23, 2015, 12:31:53 pm »

This was a fantastic read! Could I perchance get a turn and a dwarf? No particular preference.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 05:00:18 pm by DDDragoni »
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: December 23, 2015, 12:57:38 pm »

QuQuasar, we have volunteers overseers!
Dolwin, and some dorfing request

Overseer List / Dorf Requests
  • Zuglarkun
  • Japa
  • ToniK
  • Shûl-nak
  • DDDragoni
  • Gwolfski
Spoiler: Quotes (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 04:11:36 pm by Sanctume »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #521 on: December 23, 2015, 02:04:52 pm »

sure, stick me on the list.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [40.24]
« Reply #522 on: December 26, 2015, 07:48:28 am »

Perhaps in retaliation, the diplomat then went on the longest rendition of recent elven history imaginable.

Spoiler: We don't really care about this (click to show/hide)

We might do so sooner or later. The Hell of Emancipating continue their march. Looks like the Lucid Fragrances have lost 3 more sites to them. I actually feel kind of sorry for the poor bastards: they share land with the gobbo's, so they're being hit hardest.

Mutkugusno, Giant Hamster
"Martyrscribes"
Enraged at all enemies!

[stares]

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Mutkugusno R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Iä! Iä! Shub-Mutkugusno!

All that remained was Matryscribes himself.  Cut and bruised, his dark black eyes gazed at our military, ready to defend himself once more should the situation call for it.  While I was too far from the battlefield to be sure, I could have sworn I saw our lads simply nod and turn away towards Techno's battle in the moat. 

I do not know whether it was prudence that kept the militia from attacking the beast, shared respect for it's martial prowess, or simply the fact that Taupe freezes up whenever one of our trained hamsters looks at him. I can't imagine he reacted well to being assessed by a Hamster Lord in it's wild habitat.

Either way, good call. Fucking good call. They tolerate us, for now. Perhaps they find us amusing, or merely beneath their notice. But I dread to think what they would do to us if we made ourselves their enemies.

A cheer rang forth throughout the dining hall when Erush emerged holding a magnificent ruby earring.

Spoiler: The Acrid Gills (click to show/hide)

"It menaces with spikes of giant hamster bone."

FOR THE LOVE OF ARMOK NOBODY PUT THAT EARRING ON!

Datan Mafolobok was selected for the next trial run of the system.  Unfortunately, there were no adverse effects at all.  Either Datan is of sturdier stuff than Kib was, another fluke in the trial, or the modifications made in the late spring are to blame.  Another trial for Datan has been scheduled once the system is reset to verify.

I think I'm getting my dwarf!me's mixed up. The dwarf me from Icehold, the Professor, heartily approves of your scientific efforts. Unfortunately, he's in another universe.

The dwarf me from Breadbowl, the Iron Chef/Mayor, on the other hand, is concerned and suspicious to find that people are hiding things from her in Breadbowl, and thinks she and her respect-knife need to come to your office for a little chat...

On a happier note, Lor's body was given back to Armok by encasing it in obsidian.  With the aquifer water purified, the second well was reopened.  No more waiting in line for baths or fetching water.

Oh that's beautiful. A more fitting end could not be had for The Child In The Well. Bravo!

Unfortunately, the caravan wasn't the only new arrival to Breadbowl.  A sinister hum resonating through the first cavern announced a visitor.

The forgotten beast Dogekul has come! A gigantic scaly bee.

Surely that was no human bee!

That reminds me. We need at least 40 hives, if we don't already have them. Breadbowl will not be complete without the delicious honeys.

A silver lining to the tragedy: a giant cave spider was engaged in a battle with a giant olm, then wandered into one of the cages in the caverns immediately after the battle. This will be a boon to our silk industry and should eliminate the need for us to remain in the caverns.

A female, too! Once it's trained and released from it's cage, we may be able to breed them if it mates with a passing male. Yum Yay!

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: December 26, 2015, 08:48:23 am »

Oh that's beautiful. A more fitting end could not be had for The Child In The Well. Bravo!

Oh yeah, I forgot to comment on this (which is ironic since Child In The Well was my doing). T'was a beautiful moment Dolwin; I think I shed a tear.

RIP Lor Lisedvucar,
Son of Hiddenleafguy.

From the blood of the earth did your forefathers rose,
And to the earth ye shall return to.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: December 30, 2015, 02:35:10 pm »

QuQuasar, these are those who posted interests:
  • Zuglarkun (Overseer List & Dorf Request)
  • Japa (Overseer List)
  • ToniK (Overseer List & Dorf "Medic" Request)
  • Shûl-nak (Overseer List & Dorf "with highest biting skill" Request)
  • DDDragoni (Overseer List & Dorf Request)
  • Gwolfski (Overseer List)

edit: fixed typo
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 06:11:12 pm by Sanctume »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 105