Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 421674 times)

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [40.24]
« Reply #540 on: January 04, 2016, 08:19:16 am »

I should check community games more often. This was a great year. Good to see our military getting to the level, where they can just walk over a siege with little to no problem.

Hate to burst the bubble, but clay pots require glazing to hold liquids unless we have fire clay?. Still, I'm not sure if it is required for storing solid food instead - the wiki doesn't mention much. :S

Glass pots are, on the other hand, a very suitable replacement due to their light weight and unlimited availability.

I've never used clay before, and you just proved it to the world!  Making all those into glass forges instead would appear to be the way to go.  I usually use glass exclusively and was going for something different this time around.  Oh well.

Speaking of ceramic, porcelain pots can store liquids without glazing, but they require kaolinite, which is a rock. There is kaolinite in Breadbowl, near the flooded noble houses. I'm not sure why anyone would try to restore the porcelain industry (prepared meals are enough to buy a caravan, caravaneers, and their families), but it's there in case someone gets bored of stone and glass..

Bismuth Lad's research notes

It's been a long time since I've written anything in this journal. I've been busy writing letters to universities, sages, druids, even priests and necromancers. I need answers, and no one in this fortress seems to have them. All I ever hear are legends and superstitions.

Thol-Anan? Found destroyed deep underground. I took a sample, but it's just peridot. There were no organs, machinery, or magical appliances powering it. Worst of all, I won't be able to convince anyone from outside of Breadbowl that this pile of green rock was ever animated. I'll keep a piece for my collection and for further research, but I don't expect a breakthrough in the near future.

Meanwhile, the miners and I have discovered something much more interesting. Blue rock protunding from a sea of magma. People seem to believe it's the mythical adamantine, and to be honest, I'm willing to agree with them. I'm still waiting to get my hands on a sample. Everything is prepared: quicksilver, lye, vitriol, gypsum (I hope the overseer won't mind), and many, many more.

Of course apart from alchemy, adamantine may be useful in other fields. If it really is weightless, but unbreakable as legends suggest, it would be a perfect material for armor and swords. No more heavy mail, no more dull blades. What else could be made? Gates and walls so strong even the mightiest siege equipment won't move them, bridges that can be carried with marching armies, armored battleships that keep up with light vessels.
All the fame will be mine, of course! Most of dwarves in this fortress probably can't write, and those who can don't have the knowledge to properly describe this amazing discovery. I will be the one who will bring the new era to this world! The age of adamantine!

"...and then he grabbed the chalk block and ran to his room. I'm not the one to judge a man by his kinks, but the way he giggled..."

"Maybe it's a 'mood'? Wait, no, there are no proper workshops in there. Maybe he's finally gone mad? He used to live with elves. That must have made him soft"
"Was he wearing clothes?"
"You mean, when he lived with elves?"
"No, you moron, when you saw him being all weird"
"Yeah, I'm pretty sure he was."
"Help me to get him to the hospital then. Maybe it's not too late to fix whatever is wrong with him"

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 06, 2016, 11:41:25 am »

Bah. After a some days of considering, I can't currently put together the energy for a community fortress with the way I've been feeling lately, so I'm going to have to skip this turn.

ToniK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: January 07, 2016, 10:19:05 am »

Sounds like I'm up, per Quasar!

As I let her know, I'm currently in the middle of a move; HOWEVER, I should be able to post at least Spring by the weekend. I'm planning on sitting down tonight and downloading and ensuring it won't run too slowly on my computer; as it stands, I'm already planning on doing a wipe/fresh reinstall of W7 on it, so worst case scenario it'll just take a couple more days while I do that before I can play.

GOOD NEWS I reinstalled windows just fine. Now just need to figure out how to get my dual monitor setup back...

NOT SO GOOD NEWS Anyone have any idea why it'd keep crashing when it gets to 'rebuilding more temporary information'?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 10:37:27 pm by ToniK »
>make fine drink
>>dwarven gin («☼coffee wood barrel☼»)
>>dwarven tonic («☼green glass vial☼»)
>>wild limes [1]

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: January 08, 2016, 09:52:38 pm »

NOT SO GOOD NEWS Anyone have any idea why it'd keep crashing when it gets to 'rebuilding more temporary information'?

I downloaded the save and was able to load it up and look around just fine... I don't know what is causing that, but here are some general troubleshooting stuff:

-Make sure you're using DF 40.24
-Do you have a texture pack installed? If so, use the LNP to make sure the raws match
-Try a fresh copy of DF and/or the save
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

ToniK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 11, 2016, 10:01:25 pm »

Deleting the raw did it. (Think it'll fix my now-snail PC? :P)

Sorry for the lack of updates; moving & murphy's law with PC tech support killed me. I'm running Breadbowl on the Netbook, and will have something in a few hours. Considering I'm running at 3FPS, though, I'm going to need to find a way to boost it ASAP or else this will literally take a year.

UPDATE; Okay, so I had an update, and then GIMP crashed and I lost my screenshots. I'm ragequitting for the night, will try more tomorrow. Please leave any FPS-saving tips in here that may apply to the fort!

UPDATE 1/12; Runs at 6FPS on PC as opposed to 3FPS. If someone else is ready/able to take over immediately, then by all means; right now I'm still trying to find out how to shunt my memory to, well, working as it's supposed to.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 08:53:43 pm by ToniK »
>make fine drink
>>wild limes [1]

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: January 15, 2016, 09:15:56 pm »

How are things going now, tonik?

ToniK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 16, 2016, 10:02:06 am »

I think I found the problem with the computer (bad CPU fan) and the fix appears to be working as intended. However, I'm having issues downloading Java. Will try again a little later.

I'll have an update here tonight for a final Go or No Go; I sincerely apologize for the problems here and the delays :(

WELL I GUESS I'LL BE PLAYING AT 10FPS UNLESS I CAN FIGURE OUT ANOTHER FIX. Halfway through Spring, at least; the Elves have just arrived, but I saved/quit there for RL.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 02:59:39 pm by ToniK »
>make fine drink
>>wild limes [1]

ToniK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 17, 2016, 12:42:05 pm »

Headaches are nothing new. In fact, the days I don't wake up with a headache - well, those I have to worry about. So the morning starts as usual, with a blearly reach for the drink while cursing quietly to myself. This time, though, instead of grasping the mug - there's paper. Which is stupid, because why would there be paper in the way?

Eyes open reluctantly, only to find that I'm covered in the trash. With a few mild curses, I manage to get myself out of bed, wishing again that I was safe and sound underground instead of in one of these cursed aboveground apartments - but what can a dwarf do? When a dwarf is in Breadbowl, of all places, a dwarf learns to adapt. A dwarf learns to survive.

A dwarf promptly learns they drank far too much last night, and, if these papers are anything to go by, apparently 'won' the position of Overseer in a series of bets.

Armok dammit.

BREADBOWL; YEAR 7

First things first; finding where my predecessor ran off to, in hopes of shoving it back on them. But no, they're apparently too busy to have any time to talk with me. Lazy bastard. Right, so let's take stock of this place, get a feel for what's going-

-huh. Well, at least they're not a particularly loved creature, but they may make for good meat. Nothing to worry abou-

Is this bad? I don't think this is bad. I think I need a drink. My second day on the job and two beasts are dead, wonderful start. Maybe I can go 360 for 360...

Dear Armok; that wasn't a challenge.

Turns out poor As is quite stressed, though I can't fathom why. It's not like we're LIVING IN A GOBLIN-SIEGED, TROLL-HOUNDED, GODFORSAKEN FORTRESS EXPOSED TO THE ELEMENTS. I send the cook off with some of my 'special' alcohol and settle down to try and take the place in far too late.

First thing I've noticed is that the moat is dry; I attempt to filter through the notes that the prior Overseers have left, and then just toss them in the air. Most of this seems to be pretty self run, and I've never been one to wrap my head around those kind of logistics, anyway. My last experience with magma ended poorly, so I'll let whomever I manage to bribe in to taking over worry about that. My focus will be the walls. The tiny, tiny, undefended walls.

I'm gonna make 'em higher. Simple enough, right?

First orders given, I take my time on my next walk-around. The military seems to be in high spirits with their recent victory, and far be it from me to slight on them for it. I may not understand the defenses themselves, but they've worked well, and I manage to keep my ignorance with a 'carry on'. Meeting the military leads in to meeting the nobles, and after a few drinks shared, I figure they won't be too hard to deal with. No bolts or millstones exported? Spirits, the only thing we send out is food. If they prohibited roasts, then we'd have a problem. (Better not give them any ideas.)

Good lord, that is a lot of Olms. Do they make good eating? It's getting pretty cramped in there.

I go ahead and unforbid a lot of the spoils of war, figuring we can sell them to the elves or whomever. Not like we need the trading credit, but it'll get rid of the junk. Since we've got a few glass blocks, I task them to be built over the crops as well. Things seem to be going rather smoothly on the surface, which means that I'm going to have to start looking below and figuring out what I'm doing there.

After I start doing the walls, that is.

OOooOOOOOor after I deal with the elves. I'm going to need another drink, except WE'RE GOING TO HAVE TO SEND MOST OF IT AWAY. Why did I come here again?

And how long do these meetings take, anyway? We're going to have twice as much food to trade by the time you're ready!

FINALLY Quasar deigns to arrive, and I promptly trade all our hard-won food away. Maybe they won't be so quick to bark at us for chopping down trees when they-

-aw, hell.

I AGREED TO YOUR REQUEST WHY ARE YOU STILL BABBLING AT ME. I'm a medical dwarf slash pump operator. I don't TALK with people. I FIX them, and sometimes make it so they NEED to be fixed. (Depending on my mood. Guess where mine's leaning right now.) They're even smarmy enough to refuse our 'generous' gift of troll clothing. Well, the lot of you can kiss my skid. I'm taking a nap.

Note to self; never, EVER participate in gambling again. Especially since there's a lot of work to do underground, and I'll need Armok himself to guide me because it's not like I have any idea what the hell is going on down there.

At least I have a drinking buddy.

I'm gonna need one.

That was month 1; I think I'm going to split these up by such, but if they're all as slow as this one I may combine.
>make fine drink
>>wild limes [1]

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 19, 2016, 02:43:35 pm »

I couldnt tell, did you agree with the tree limit this time?

ToniK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 19, 2016, 09:18:13 pm »

More headaches. Elves haven't left yet. Maybe being the walking drunk is the way to get through. Build the wall, I tell myself. Build up the wall, and you can call yourself a success. They'll remember you, then, and not as the Overseer who did nothing but stumble around, much as that's how you feel. (Seems to be having a number on my vision, anyway.)

Unfortunately, my hopes and dreams of making the place look nice has reached its limit. I'll have to find something similar, or deal with a spotted set of ramparts. As long as they do the job, I guess it won't matter, but...sigh.

Well this is useless.

I noticed some dwarves sleeping on the floor, so decided to go ahead and...sigh...build up those godawful apartments. Maybe...I don't know. Maybe we can make a castle or something. We're starting to run low on blocks, though, so I send some miners to actually do their job. But if this place wants its colors, I'll give it its colors...

Wait, what's that sound?

Er...

What. How. I- I don't understand...a frantic rush through the papers helps me understand how to remake the damn thing, but how did the bridge collapse??! THIS MAKES NO SENSE. NOTHING MAKES SENSE.

Maybe I should sleep off this headache.

The elves pack up and leave, as if offended by our aesthetic and noise. (Can't imagine why.) Meanwhile, I use the wood I've been saving to start expanding the pastures. (And get rid of a few more trees. I almost feel sorry for my successor, if they intend on cutting down any trees. I lost count on mine.)

Poor As makes for poor company, but company nonetheless. We spend a day or so drinking in silence before I admit toat maybe, maybe I'm not sure what I'm doing, and that if she's in the mood to take over...

A single glance shuts me up. As has seen things; four years she's been here, four years she's yelled at the overseer too many times to count. I guess I should be lucky she's not yelling at me, but I'm not sure the silence is any better. I refil her mug with my special brew, she nods her thanks, we go about our business. But those eyes...

As needs someone to do something.

As needs someone to fix things.

I just hope I can be that person. Or get things ready for whomever can. As much as I've bemoaned my lot in life and this forsaken fortress, sometimes I wonder...

While Gwolfski mandates more millstones, I do a little bit of housekeeping in the pastures. The larger areas Iv'e made should be fine for the heavy grazers, though they're still for the moment in their old homes. I did get one of these, though.

I'm calling him Bob.

Parts of my ramparts are done, but...I'm running low on microcline and mica. I'd like to keep it all nice, aesthetically speaking, but that may be a fool's dream in this place. I may or may not have a minor tantrum and, uh, attempt to take out my frustrations on the next levels of apartments.

At least it's getting rid of the ones we only have one or two of? That, and I'm tired of seeing dwarves suddenly decide to take a nap in the middle of nowhere. If you've got a room - use it!

Our drink production seems to be stagnating a bit; I set the second (third?) still to work and hope for the best. The farmers report we're running low on seeds, which I duly note down. On a whim, I take a glance down below-

-I'm sure someone much more responsible than me should be playing with this. Knowing my luck, I'll pull a lever and Breadbowl will become a volcano. In an effort to be at least somewhat productive, I-

BOB, NO. GET BACK IN YOUR PEN THIS INSTANT. DON'T MAKE ME COME OUT THERE.

DAMN IT, BOB.

So much for being productive. While Bob is chased down and brought home (and Fortifications planned to ring his pen - damn aesthetic, I WANT MY BEAR), I quickly lose track with what I was going to do. Something about bees, maybe?...while I can't say no to honey, that may have to wait, because it's becoming apparant that the fortifications may be far more important than food. Can't survive if we're hounded by goblins, after all.

At least the drinks are coming along. And, uh, the magma tree.

That sure is a tree sprouting by magma. Looking at the notes - I guess I was supposed to put some kilns there, maybe forges? I'll figure out out later. Maybe. Possibly. Probably.

At least Bob's back.

AND THAT'S THE END OF SPRING. I switched to Ironhand, have no idea what's up with this and all the dwarves walking around on their side (since that usually happens when they're, you know. Dead.) It worked before Windows reformat; if anyone has any thoughts on how to fix this, much appreciated.

@Dolwin - yeah, I figured I'd 'be good to the elves' since they brought me my teddy bear. (Not that I knew it at the time, but it worked out, didn't it?)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 09:54:02 pm by ToniK »
>make fine drink
>>wild limes [1]

ToniK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: January 19, 2016, 09:52:15 pm »

[how do delete post]
>make fine drink
>>wild limes [1]

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: January 19, 2016, 10:43:31 pm »

(Why do delete post?  Breadbowl is awesome.)
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: January 20, 2016, 01:17:35 am »

(Aye. The slow speed of play is an off-putter, but I have to say the writing is consistently good.)

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: January 20, 2016, 01:37:59 am »

(Why are we all talking in parenthesis? Is it a secret club? I want in!)
(Also could you give my dwarf the custom profession Granny, seeing as she's liable to drop dead of old age before I get to write as her?)
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 20, 2016, 05:12:24 am »

I switched to Ironhand, have no idea what's up with this and all the dwarves walking around on their side (since that usually happens when they're, you know. Dead.)
Here's what I do to fix graphical issues. It's something of a nuclear option since it also clears out mods, but Breadbowl is vanilla so it should work fine:

1. Delete the folder Dwarf Fortress\data\save\Breadbowl\raw.
2. Copy the folder Dwarf Fortress\raw and paste it into Dwarf Fortress\data\save\Breadbowl in place of the one you just deleted. This will revert the save to ASCII.
3. Now go to the LNP and use it to install whichever tileset you prefer, as well as updating saves.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 105