Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 421597 times)

ToniK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [40.24]
« Reply #555 on: January 20, 2016, 08:27:25 am »

HAHAHA I had posted twice and was trying to figure out how do delete extra post. :)

I'll give that fix a try, Quasar, and work on Summer the rest of the week.
>make fine drink
>>dwarven gin («☼coffee wood barrel☼»)
>>dwarven tonic («☼green glass vial☼»)
>>wild limes [1]

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 20, 2016, 09:20:36 am »

(Also could you give my dwarf the custom profession Granny, seeing as she's liable to drop dead of old age before I get to write as her?)

Dwarves wont die of old age until 160 at the minimum, so you are guaranteed at least 9 more years.  I wouldnt give you someone that would croak at any time :)

-I'm sure someone much more responsible than me should be playing with this. Knowing my luck, I'll pull a lever and Breadbowl will become a volcano.

The magma divots up top should be for glass forges to get glass pot production running full swing.  The levers for the magma filling station should be marked with N to tell you what does what.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 20, 2016, 11:09:13 am »

Dwarves wont die of old age until 160 at the minimum, so you are guaranteed at least 9 more years.  I wouldnt give you someone that would croak at any time :)

Say, is Hiddenleafguy dead yet?

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 20, 2016, 11:36:12 am »

(Also could you give my dwarf the custom profession Granny, seeing as she's liable to drop dead of old age before I get to write as her?)

Wiki puts minimum age for death by age at 150, max at 170, for an average of 160.
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

ToniK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 21, 2016, 05:05:54 pm »

Um....................

In my defense, I couldn't find the lever.
>make fine drink
>>wild limes [1]

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 21, 2016, 05:15:22 pm »

Um....................

In my defense, I couldn't find the lever.

Well, I see no problems with that defense. All in favor of not guilty?
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

ToniK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 22, 2016, 10:24:34 pm »

Whatever was in the drink affecting my vision seems to have cleared up, but any rejoicing is halted by one tiny little fact.

"FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-"

The new bridge isn't finished; can Goblins climb? I hope they can't climb. I muster the Earthen Assaults while ringing the alarm bells; my hope is that if the hoards dare the north side in, they'll be halted quickly. They're all certainly finding the north channel entertaining...

...but seem to go right past it. Oh, that's a good thing. That's a very good thing. Please let them go right past it and in to the slaughterhouse. That would be nice. That would be lovely. That would absolutely make my day. I hold my breath with everyone else, but it seems like the invaders either can't climb, or just don't notice the opening; the Earthen Assault seem almost-

WELL I SURE SPOKE TOO SOON. No, you fools, don't rush out, let them rush in-!

Damn it.

Incensed by the fall of his brethren, Lokum not only enters a mad state I've rarely seen before - but picks up his breathen's axe and gets to work. For all the good that does.

One of the civilians who thought they were too good stay inside is the next victim. I can't muster the ability to be sad; if the idiot had listened, he'd be alive. Mostly, I'm focused on how the siege is at least split; perhaps it won't be much longer until it's broken entirely?

Why there's a parade to the remains is beyond me. GET BACK INSIDE.

HOW'D YOU GET INSIDE. Belatedly I realize I should have pulled a lever or something, but at least the military's right here. WELL, BOYS, TIME TO EARN YOUR PAY.

GO BEAR, BUY THEM TIME. LET HIDDENLEAFGUY GET AWAY. GO BEAR, GO! (Is Bob safe? DAMN RIGHT HE IS.)

Oops. Okay, this one may actually be my fault. At least Sanctume is on the job to, uh, clean up. (That is an awful lot of dead animals. At least we're eating well tonight?)

why

Oh, that's why. I...think. Well, I...guess it wasn't as awful as it could have been? Also, how did these get all the way up here?

I almost send out the militia upon hearing this when the word 'diplomat' processes. Still, my first instincts are wary; there's some humans with them, and I wonder if this is the start of another siege. Or if the humans decided to forego the caravan this year with intentions to declare war.

All right, humans, let me tell you; I've a very, VERY bad headache today, and it's not from the booze, which makes it all worse. So I HOPE you intend on taking our gracious 'gifts' of troll and ogre clothing along with all of our handcrafted food...and distracting Gwolfski from finishing the bridge.

Oh, you mean now that we decorated with the body parts of your brethren?

...I hate you. Why did I even bother listening in...? Maybe I can find some better company with-

-nevermind. Let's just get the business over with. Since the humans also refuse to take the generous 'offerings', I demand a single piece of metal for them, and that shuts them up.

Also; YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY THE BRIDGE IS FINISHED! I may be somewhat overzealous in my trading with the humans in my celebration, buying up every piece of metal they have. We can...smelt it or something.

Not everyone is that happy, though. Luckily, Muthkat is ready to rejoin to rest, so I just have them trade places. The humans leave soon after, with their...diplomat.

THANKS FOR TAKING THE CRAP.

I keep getting yelled at for a lack of coal, which means it's charcoal time. We've got a decent amount of wood, so I'm not worried, but I take a look underground to see if we've any actual...you know. Coal. Turns out we've got plenty of lignite, so I promptly direct it to be mined out.

Also this.

And this. That makes the fortifications (mostly) complete, and...mostly not an eyesore. The expansion of the floors are a little more slow going, but...it'll do for now.

What, again? A bit paranoid with all the possessions, I order a few more coffins made, and watch while this one takes most of a month to get all the bits and pieces they need. But after what's enough time to drive ME mad...

Speaking of mad, I send Goden back to work. He seems rehabilitated enough. (I say before expecting to send him back within a month. Armok, I'm not drinking nearly enough for this.)

Or this. Sigh.

----------------

AND THAT WAS SUMMER. One question- where the heck's the lever that controls the bridge by the barracks? Not the West bridge's, the one that forces them to go through the barracks if they want to get inside. Hiddenleafguy paid for my ignorance, along with some animals :(
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 10:27:32 pm by ToniK »
>make fine drink
>>wild limes [1]

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [40.24] (Requesting Overseers!)
« Reply #562 on: January 23, 2016, 01:07:16 am »

A view of the dining hall.  The lever in the southwest corner needs to be pulled while under siege in order to remove the caravan access point where invaders could bypass the barracks.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 23, 2016, 01:19:06 am »

I can't help but wonder what's going on in that goblin diplomat's mind. Every year he pays us a visit, every year he finds a mountain of goblin and ogre corpses waiting for him.

---

Hiddenleafguy was dead. The news ran through Breadbowl like a wildfire. Poor Sazir Boattrails was now a widowed dwarf, lost of both son and husband.

But perhaps most importantly, the manager post was free once more - as well as the assorted noble digs that came along with it. Dwarves weren't by nature unsentimental beings, but when there were only three belowground bedrooms in a fortress, you don't give up any chances that come by.

Fricken' called it.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 05:35:47 am by Bearskie »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 23, 2016, 01:25:35 am »

That animal pen north of the giant hamsters is cursed.  We had a nice tiger from the elves that was soon after pummeled to death by civilians.  Cage traps before that door should be a nice defense.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 23, 2016, 02:06:13 am »

That animal pen north of the giant hamsters is cursed.
All places have their rumours, and Breadbowl is no exception. One in particular stands out.

It's said a dwarf in Breadbowl who is fated to die shortly will hear the music. It draws them out, to surface, to the animal pens.

It's said the music has no words, just notes. A haunting, disembodied refrain.

Di da-dee da dee da do do,
deee ba dee-dee doh,
Didi-didi-didadiluda
ludadidiludada dee doooh...

Of course, it's just a rumour. There's probably nothing to it. But I saw the look HiddenLeafGuy's face before he went upstairs. I can't shake the feeling that he knew, somehow. That he'd accepted it.

[Raises a mug]

To HiddenLeafGuy!

ToniK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [40.24] (Requesting Overseers!)
« Reply #566 on: January 23, 2016, 09:25:50 am »

A view of the dining hall.  The lever in the southwest corner needs to be pulled while under siege in order to remove the caravan access point where invaders could bypass the barracks.

Did you put a Note on it, or did I just keep missing it because I'm Awesome?
>make fine drink
>>wild limes [1]

ToniK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 30, 2016, 04:48:31 pm »

Autumn will be up by EOD, I'll edit this post if there's no replies before then. :)

Sorry about the delay, RL happened and I'd rather not get in to it any more than that. I'll be running Winter during the week.

One of the rhinos went wild. Steaks tonight!

Still, there's a bit of a somber air over the fortress. Our goal, after all, has been to feed the Mountainhome. We've only had so much production this year, so maybe I should work on pumping that...

...huh.

H u h. Maybe I should work on bribing...but first things first. Food production.

OLM BURGERS, GO.

PRIORITIZING CHEFS, GO. BREWERS TOO-

-oh they're coming. You wait. CRAFTDWARVES, TO WORK!

Now that I've figured out most of those...I figure I'll work on the pasture. The ones for these guys. (Meanwhile, the Olms breed faster than we can slaughter.) In the meantime, Sazir - Hiddenboatguy's widow - approaches me, and after a civil and friendly discussion in which nobody is blamed or held accountable for items and/or notes that were in plain sight all of this time, we have a new manager. Just in time, because this year?

This year my hasty preparations may have been too late.

Thankfully, this liaison's brief. As I recall, we need to order more gypsum plaster, but other than that...I can only watch as our hard-made food is hauled away. But will it be enough to appease...? I keep comparing the numbers to last year, keep comparing myself to last year, as Quasar ONCE AGAIN takes her damn sweet time and I'm done comparing. I'm drinking the first ale as soon as these bastards leave. Quasar can handle whatever heckling we're in store for. I do, ah, make sure one thing in particular happens.

No, not this. (Oops.)

THERE we go. Back to work, everyone, nevermind the ogress terrorizing the depths, military will be there soon...

See? Everything's fine. Just...clean-up on route three, please. I'll do some cleaning up elsewhere. Look, pastures!

...I am drastically running out of little things to do. I'm already working on making sure everyone in the apartments has the most basic of furniture, but...

BYE, THANKS FOR...TAKING...NINETY NINE PERCENT OF THE BOOZE, LEAVING THE ONE PERCENT FOR ME!

Oh, grow up. I need it more than you do. In fact, new rule; overseer gets twice the amount of alcohol rations of everyone else, good until the end of this year. One out of one doctors (me) agree. And speaking of doctors-

This seems important. Hey, Quasar, got an important job for you. Only can be trusted to the highest of dwarves. Super essential. No, I'm not drunk. There isn't enough alcohol in this place yet for me to get tipsy. I'm serious, just come take a look, see that lever?

You know what to do. (Hey As, watch this.)

Er, wait, why is the dog...?

And Quasar didn't even- I suddenly recall I've important things to do. Like magma! Magma sure is important.

And that sure is magma. From what I can tell, there are a few notes here, so let's just give this a try, and-

-success! I think. Nobody died from it, which is always good. Now to figure out how to move it abovegr-

-well, at least it's not another possession. On the other hand, I think we need to slaughter more animals. And despite the magma's success - by which I mean lack of setting any dwarves on fire - I'm a bit stumped as to how to move it aboveground. Obviously by pushing the carts, but- well, whatever.

Now this? This I can get behind. Literally. Finally, something useful! Unlike the brewers, who're running out of things to brew. A quick reassignment on what plants to grow gets the farmers moving again, anyway, so hopefully the low stock of drink won't remain that way for much longer. Except for the fact that I'm then told it's not so much about WHAT they can brew, but what they put it in. Apparently pots aren't going to work...well, easy enough to fix. I'd just better move quick, because winter isn't coming.

It's here.

I think I may have screenshotted my trading stock incorrectly in the past caravans. I noticed a HUGE difference made when it came to time; I believe what happened was that I reported on the levels BEFORE the dwarves had moved everything to the depot, which in turn gave incorrect #s as to what was traded away. :X!!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 11:00:14 pm by ToniK »
>make fine drink
>>wild limes [1]

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: February 02, 2016, 11:15:31 pm »

Surprise update?!

Kind of bummer about the trading thing... anyway. Was a nice touch to give Sazir the manager post ;). Also, did you just try to murder Quasar?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: February 03, 2016, 12:10:39 am »

Quasar still sporting that gold crutch.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 105