Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 424575 times)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [40.24]
« Reply #585 on: February 17, 2016, 09:59:03 pm »

Mibad about that Japa. By the way, it's been a week, and Shul-nak appears to be inactive. Can we pass this down to DDDragoni before he drops dead of old age?

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: February 18, 2016, 11:11:36 pm »

Mibad about that Japa. By the way, it's been a week, and Shul-nak appears to be inactive. Can we pass this down to DDDragoni before he drops dead of old age?
If there's no objections, I'll grab the save tomorrow.
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: February 22, 2016, 12:04:07 pm »

Sorry for the delay, a bunch of real life stuff cropped up, so I'm going to have to ask to be bumped down the list. Sorry!
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: February 22, 2016, 12:11:47 pm »

Oh no, you're giving the Duke Gwolfski the reigns of power sooner! 

The presence of giant hamsters may save us all!

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #589 on: February 22, 2016, 02:48:51 pm »

actually, the duke has business in Icehold (don't ask, the duke has his.... hobies) so zuglarkun can go before me!
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: February 24, 2016, 09:41:02 am »

So I just found Project Omega. Which is weird, because I was actively looking for it after Dolowin's turn but I could not find it at all. Only after I took an Armok Vision tour into post-ToniK Breadbowl that I finally noticed it. Strange, but it is somehow hiding in plain sight. Reminds me greatly of Gemclod.

Spoiler: Breadbowl (click to show/hide)

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: February 24, 2016, 10:27:15 am »

Did someone say giant hamsters?
<- This is what we do to giant hamsters!
*is restrained before she throws her life away*

I've picked up the save and should be able to squeeze in some play time over the weekend.

EDIT: If anyone else picked up the save and wondered why the dwarves and animals appear in graphics instead of ASCII, it is because the graphics folder was not deleted. This should be fixed now.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 11:12:04 am by Zuglarkun »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: February 24, 2016, 12:07:26 pm »

Remember, if you run into further tile problems, it can be easily fixed by overwriting the save's raws with fresh vanilla DF40.24 raws.

Dolwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: February 24, 2016, 12:12:51 pm »

So I just found Project Omega. Which is weird, because I was actively looking for it after Dolowin's turn but I could not find it at all. Only after I took an Armok Vision tour into post-ToniK Breadbowl that I finally noticed it. Strange, but it is somehow hiding in plain sight. Reminds me greatly of Gemclod.

Hopefully that means my escape route will be clear in the future.  Regardless, the user will be able to leave Breadbowl in a hurry if the need arises :)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: February 25, 2016, 08:07:47 am »

I have been reading this for a while now, and im on page 12. This was just too good for words. I have, have to be dorfed. If the legendary amouror, olon, is still around i would like him. If not, a hammerdorf would do fine.
I might even apply to be overseer.
Maybe.

Nevermind, olon is taken. A hammerdwarf will do. Male preferably.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 10:20:45 am by Imic »
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: February 25, 2016, 09:15:08 am »

Did someone say giant hamsters?
<- This is what we do to giant hamsters!
*is restrained before she throws her life away*

I cannot remember why for some Armok-reason the name Zuglarkun relates to hamsters.  Something's amiss.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: February 29, 2016, 02:49:59 pm »

Prologue

1st Granite 243

"Damn it, I'm gonna be late for combat training! Curse this blasted rain!"

Spoiler: Oh no I'm late! (click to show/hide)

"What is with this constant downpour? I'll have to oil down my armor and rub off the rust again."

I cursed under my breath as I trudged my way across the soggy fields of dog tooth grass and lush grama, holding up my candlenut shield in a futile effort to ward off the rain.

Spoiler: Gah! Rain! (click to show/hide)

I'd arrived in Ímarust (Ahhh! Stop reminding me with the rust!) around 4 years ago to ply my craft as a woodcutter and fisherdwarf. I remembered that it was raining heavily then, as it is now. Damn rain never lets up in this place. Of course, they took one good look at me and put me in the military instead where I can't even wield an my axe or touch a fishing pole. Of course by now I'm pretty much resigned to my lot in life, at least the lack of fishing activity will keep me away from those-
Spoiler: damn oysters. (click to show/hide)

Did I mention I absolutely detest those icky slimy things? Did you know they squirt?? As a fisherdwarf I had to be careful of how I picked my fishing spots at low tide in order to avoid entire clusters of those wretched things as they squirted their bodily fluids over the bloody place. All the doctors at home said I had some sort of ostraconophobia or was it phallophobia? But I simply don't quite trust the judgement of any fellow that detests hamsters.

Still, things aren't too bad around here, if you overlook the constant rain, the periodic lack of booze, the wereskunks, the gem monsters, the goblin sieges and the smell of manure everywhere.

Spoiler: At the barracks... (click to show/hide)

"You're late." Said Taupe as he demonstrated the Zimeshabod, dodging an oncoming blow from Olin and tapping his shoulder while Thob and Sodel looked on and tried to replicate the movement.

"I'm sorry! It was the damn rain I-"

"-No matter, you are excused from this morning's training, the Duke is expecting you in his office."

"What could he want from me?"

"I don't know but you better- Too slow! Anticipate the blow, then dodge and attack in the same movement!" Barked Taupe as he demonstrated the move once again with no wasted motion.

Taupe turned towards me.
"You'd better hurry." he said matter of factly, before returning to a relaxed position and dodging another blow from Olin.

As I made my way across the pens and pastures towards the living quarters and dining area, I came across a most depressing sight.

Spoiler: Making a scene (click to show/hide)

Apparently, Shul-Nak was playing with his niece, ToniK with his wife Cilob following in tow, when he keeled over in front of the dining quarters and passed away at the ripe old age of a hundred and fifty five. Tonik who had been under quite a lot of stress lately simply couldn't retain her composure and burst into a fit of tears, while Cilob whom is rather old herself tries to face the death of her husband with some dignity, trying to-
Spoiler: hide her grief. (click to show/hide)
Edem, busybody that she is, tries to lecture ToniK, whom is getting on in age herself, about the need for composure and trying not to make a scene and interrupting everyone else.
Spoiler: nosy bugger (click to show/hide)
This was way too late of course, everyone in the vicinity is still in shock from Shul-nak's sudden demise. I left them to their own devices and made my way down the stairway to the Duke's quarters below.

The Duke wasn't in at the moment, so naturally I went next door to the Mayor Quasar's office to see if she knew what was going on.

The Mayor has her hands full at the moment trying to placate a depressed Bearskie and a oblivious As who is clearly off her rocker, stumbling about all over the place and knocking over furniture.

"Yeah I know I have trouble controlling my temper. But there's nothing like a good brawl you know?" Muttered Bearskie indignantly.
The moody Bearskie stood in stark contrast to Mayor Quasar, whom seemed oddly pleased with herself.

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! I CAN'T STAND IT ANYMORE! AHHHHHH!! ITS ALL GETTING ME DOWN!! AHHHHHHHHH!! WHY DOESN'T ANYONE DO ANYTHING?" Yelled Bearskie into Mayor Quasar's ear.
The Mayor though, nary flinched and instead smiled with an aura of inner peace.

"There there, don't you feel better now Bearskie for getting that off your chest?"

"Why... I suppose I do Mayor! Thanks!" Spoke Bearskie as he suddenly lightened up considerably, then as he turned and walked out of the office, slumped back into his usual stupor.

"Oh how I do like conducting meetings in my own office. What a nice setting don't you agree?" Remarked Mayor Quasar as she beckoned me into her office, taking off the wax wads plugged into her ears.

"I don't suppose you're here to wail and moan about something are you?"

"Well, I'm actually looking for the Duke, do you know where he is?"

"Well he sure ain't in his office. I think he went off earlier to perfect his masonry skills."

"I- don't suppose... you know why the Duke... summoned for me then?" I stammered.

"Well, as a matter of fact I do... Are you aware of Breadbowl's relationship with the mountainhomes?"

"Er... Yes I do."

"Good, that makes things easier. You see, though the King is pleased with the substantial offerings from last year, he was most distressed at the utter lack of offerings last summer. That meant he had to dig out of his own personal larder to feed the citizens of The Old Nets. I even heard rumors that some folks starved. This will not do at all, nuh uh. So the Duke has selected a new overseer to take care of this little green problem. An overseer with a decidedly military slant. Namely you."

*Gulp* "May I ask why me and not someone more qualified for the task at hand, like-"

"NO. You may NOT. Now take these overseer logbooks and scram."

With that whole business out of the way, I plunked the overseer logs onto a dining table and got myself a drink from my water skin.
"Damn it! Where's the booze!? Hmmm.. on second thought, perhaps I could put these overseer powers to good use." I muttered absentmindedly to myself.

"OVERSEER!?" Exclaimed Stukos the weaponsmith from a nearby table.

Guess that makes us all idiots huh?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 03:06:40 pm by Zuglarkun »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: February 29, 2016, 03:32:53 pm »

"Oh, ho ho, did you actually surrender your booze rations to the Trade Depot?  I don't think May include those in the tally. Well now that you're overseer, perhaps you can increase our booze rations to more than two..."  Sanctume walks away scratching the back of his neck with a mace.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #598 on: February 29, 2016, 05:30:13 pm »

BTW, the baron is away conducting.... business at IceHold.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: February 29, 2016, 08:42:37 pm »

Bearskie’s Journal
This page is marked by a rhubarb flower

It's the feckin' rain really. Comes down hard as sure as my name is Soakedwhips. I arrived at this place a sprightly dwarf of 78, ready to grow the best fruits and plants the world had ever seen. Now I'm a jaded, crapping son-of-a-bitch who doesn't give a shit about the crops being drowned by the tenth bloody monsoon of the season.

Days pass and I'm seeing less and less familiar faces around here. Dwarves whom I don't even know their names nor jobs no more. What's left of us... May's busy, Gwolfski's busy, Taupe's busy, Neblime's missing, Psycho's dead. What's left is Quasar, whom I visit on a daily basis as part of her pre-allocated mayor time. Somehow, I get the feeling that even she ain't listening to me anymore.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 105