Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 421675 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [40.24]
« Reply #720 on: April 01, 2016, 08:56:01 am »

Not yet QuQuasar, not yet. Don't spoil it for the others :)

As for Murky, I tried to assign him a masterful steel battle axe, but the bugger just won't pick it up, opting to wield a masterful silver battle axe instead. So I forbid all the axes except for that steel axe, so hopefully he'll pick it up, sometime. If not, some one more skillful than I can assign the weapon to him.

I had problems getting them to use better axes at one point.  Also the duke wanted to stop using a training axe when cutting wood and get him to use a steel axe--did that ever happen?

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: April 05, 2016, 10:17:43 pm »

Despite being nearsighted, the King was very much aware of what had been going on in Breadbowl, and he was over this entire strawberry business. Still, the fortress prospered because of it, and that is all that mattered, so for this one time he will overlook this discretion.

With his crowd adverse ways, he depended upon his appointed high council to deliver his verdicts and administer the fortress in his stead, while he worked behind the scenes. Of these, his herald, Fath was a great mouthpiece, but not much good for anything else. His wife was smart, well spoken and pragmatic. His appointed Viscountess Bim had a way with words and was good with people, as was the Viscount, Zulban, a well organized fellow that he trusted to keep things in order. Then there was his personal advisor, a stout fellow and very good at predictions, though she was hairier than normal for a dwarf plus he did not trust a worshiper of Rurast Mirrormystery. Still a worshipper of Rurast was better than a worshiper of Abir or worse still, Vucar Freeskies.

Meanwhile, there were also the "nobles" of Breadbowl to consider. It wasn't too terribly long ago when he exiled them to that little spot near the Hill of Death for being a useless burden upon dwarf kind. Well they didn't die, and they were less useless than before. Indeed they prospered for a farming community, but that didn't count for much in his book.

Obviously circumstances have changed, else he would never have had to set foot here. The regions surrounding the mountainhome were getting besieged by goblins so it was unwise to stay for much longer. It was better to relocate the capital while they still could. It was only a matter of time before it all went to hell.

The "nobles" of Breadbowl were still under-performing by his expectations, but that would be largely inconsequential now that Breadbowl became the capital. He was a farmer before he became the King, and he would put that knowledge to good use here.

Curse these dimwits! Curse the goblins!

Stukos Selltomb, the son of Crazyblades delighted himself by wandering about with nary a care in the world. These days, he was particularly taken with the skillful contrivances of the community, and he had been going about admiring the skilled handiwork of Breadbowl's masons. He had come across some particularly fine constructed wells the other day, which he thought to be just sublime. He had taken a peek at the
Spoiler: new noble quarters, (click to show/hide)
said to house the reclusive King. It was just splendid, adorned with a rose gold gate and a black bronze bridge laying across a moat. And now here he was admiring
Spoiler: a fine cage (click to show/hide)
when-

Zuglarkun waved frantically as Stukos admired the fine craftsdwarfship that went into making this marvel of dwarven artifice.

"Wow a talking cage!" exclaimed Stukos.

"Hey hey! Got your attention now? Be a good lad and bring me some food will you? I'm starving and I haven't had a bite to eat."

"My mommy told me not to talk to inanimate objects." Stukos protested, backing away slowly.

"But I'm not an inanimate object! Look! I'm a proper dwarf!"

"Sorry Mommy told me that I'm a big boy now, so I musn't talk to inanimate objects anymore." Said Stukos as he wandered off in search of more marvels.

"Hey come back!"

*Zuglarkun's stomach rumbles*

"Damn it!"

Bim Salvenobles was pleased with
Spoiler: the soapy bath (click to show/hide)
she had recently. Still, something just wasn't right, there was a Her sixth sense was tingling, there was something foul afoot, but she couldn't quite put her thumb on it. No matter, she would consult with the wise advisor to the King whom she had heard was an oracle of some sort. It was she that had tipped off the guards to Zuglarkun's crimes and had the former Viceroy arrested for breaking the law. She sensed that something was off and surely the advisor would be able to get to the bottom of it.

Report of the Viscountess, Bim salvenobles

5th Moonstone 243

The throne room smelled of incense or some other odd fragrance. I keep getting the feeling that I'm being watched as I looked around, but there wasn't anyone about, except
Spoiler: one of the animals (click to show/hide)
that was lounging about the King's throne room. Someone ought to get that thing pastured.

7th Moonstone 243

Litast, creator of Atorerush has been bestowed with the honor of extracting Though the kingdom is teetering due to the assault from all sides by the goblins, it is my hope that we can use this adamantine to craft something to defend ourselves with. As the main supply center for the Kingdom's food needs, I fear the worst should Breadbowl ever fall. We must remain vigilant.

I returned to my office later in the day and found a letter has arrived addressed to me. Most mysterious.

As I unsealed it, I recognized
Spoiler: the seal, (click to show/hide)
it was unmistakably from the King's personal advisor.

She has noted that recently a large bird shaped thing was seen flying over the new noble quarters, casting an ominous shadow on the noble tower. The advisor fears that it is an ill omen, and has taken it as a sign that death shall befall one of the nobles soon. In particular, he mentions to keep an eye on worshippers of Vucar Freeskies.
Spoiler: Wait, Vucar Freeskies? (click to show/hide)

This does not seem good at all.

10th Moonstone 243

Quasar has finally extricated herself from all the complaints and issued another
Spoiler: mandate for bolts. (click to show/hide)
She must have been shut in for quite some time, doesn't she know we are already mass producing bone bolts? Or perhaps that is not enough for her?

have been ordered to the caverns to remove the offensive corpses littering the underground.

Also, the King demands cut crystal gem windows in his abode. The jewelers are busy trying to meet these demands. Thankfully we have secured a cache of rock crystal in the magma layers near the adamantine deposits.

15th Moonstone 243

Spoiler: something is brewing (click to show/hide)
Rakust Isakdodok has been neglecting his duties and acting most suspicious lately, I suspect something is up. Could he be a worshipper of Vucar Freeskies?

16th Moonstone 243

Spoiler: Most suspicious (click to show/hide)
I've sent some dwarves to keep an eye on Rakust's suspicious behavoir, they report that Rakust has claimed a metalsmith's forge and is busy gathering materials. But materials for what? I must get to the bottom of this!

13th Opal 243

Spoiler: Illegal weapons! (click to show/hide)
Reports have come in that Rakust has emerged from the metalsmith's forge with some kind of weapon in hand. I knew it!
I'll have commander Taupe detain fellow and confiscate the weapon! Mark my words, nothing will get by on my watch!

Spoiler: Adoption (click to show/hide)
Tonnot has been adopted into the household of Dastot Ingishibel. Or is it the other way around? You can never really tell with those cunning felines. Next thing you know they'll be trying to oust the mayor or something.

16th Opal 243

Spoiler: Rumbling in the depths (click to show/hide)

Meanwhile...

"Hey you there with the smashed right hand! What's your name?"

"I'm MoonyTheHuman."

"Human? But your a- Ah, no matter. Your a mechanic right? Could you free me from this cage MoonyTheHuman?"

Spoiler: "What for? (click to show/hide)
anyway."

"Damn it! Can you bring me some food and drink at least?"

"..."

19th Opal 243

Spoiler: Naming (click to show/hide)
Techno has bestowed the name Kironfeb - The Holy Arrow upon his olive wood shield. That's not an arrow Techno!

21st Opal 243

The weather has cleared. Hah finally! I was getting sick of all this rain. With the aid of our magma hauling team and our Duke Gwolfski whom had been constructing several masterpiece forges with his masonry knowledge, another smelter has been set up. We can now move on to the final phase of the forges, only two more forges are left to be filled. Reports have come in that the lead foundation of the noble tower is completed, we can now fill the moat with water from the nearby ocean.

It seems he is experiencing some trouble adjusting to normal life after his stint on the little house on the prairie.

26th Opal 243

Spoiler: More names? (click to show/hide)
Angus bestows a name of Isholthocit - The Frigid Spike upon an exceptional iron battle axe. What's with all the odd naming conventions? Don't these folks know an spear from an axe or an arrow from a shield?

17th Obsidian 243

Spoiler: Yet more naming (click to show/hide)
Sodel has named his axe Limarugosh - the wealthy hollows, finally a proper descriptive name!

Spoiler: Gasp! An attack! (click to show/hide)
In other reports, the refuse dumping in the caverns was interrupted by an errant reacher that had been accosting our fair citizens. Thankfully no one was harmed, and

Spoiler: Medic! Medic! (click to show/hide)
Tobul of the medical staff has been dispatched to recover the wounded.

22nd Obsidian 243

The high council is proud to announce the drafting of Geshud and Solon, the King's personal guards into the military forces. Imic the hammerer will join them as well. Ast Virgindiamonds of the King's personal guards has been promoted to the Captain of the guard, and Fath our outpost liaison and now broker shall join Ast in the squad as well.

Spoiler: Glass ceiling (click to show/hide)
The last of the clear glass ceiling tiles have been constructed over the roof of the farms.

28th Obsidian 243

The gold sarcophagus of the King has been installed, and the floor decorations denoting Breadbowl have also been completed.
Spoiler: Fit for a King (click to show/hide)
The bread crust is made of copper and the bread is made of quartzite, whilst the bowl is made of microcline. Hmmm, copper bread? Reminds me of a certain Brassroast fella I've seen around these parts (what an odd name). Still, much work remains to be done, the King is not satisfied with the tomb yet. I've ordered the engravers to smooth out every area of the tomb.

1st Granite 244

Spoiler: Our stocks (click to show/hide)
The King will be pleased to know that the next shipment going to the borderlands have been prepared. Already it outnumbers this years contributions. The high council has also deliberated on the next Viceroy to take over matters, they will be summoned soon.

As I made my way back, a cry of horror echoed from
Spoiler: the noble tower. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "The advisor is dead!" (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 10:55:40 pm by Zuglarkun »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: April 05, 2016, 10:51:13 pm »

Wow, that is some uber update. Bravo!

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: April 06, 2016, 12:20:40 am »

The...
H- H- Hamster...
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
You will be avenged!
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: April 06, 2016, 06:29:51 pm »

Fun fact. Do you know that the gods of the old nets are worshiped by our farm animals?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This includes wagons by the way... although this one worshiped a foreign god.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: April 08, 2016, 06:46:30 am »

Rarely enough time to comment these days, but very entertaining turn Zuglarkun. :) Ah... the tower, the politics, the Breadbowl mosaic! Tonik's got one, Sanctume's got one, now I'm kicking myself for not producing some installation art too during my stint.

Who's next up? Shul-nak's still not showing up, so do we hand Breadbowl over to DDD now?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: April 08, 2016, 08:33:33 am »

Spoiler: Our stocks (click to show/hide)

Breadbowl has a population of 200, and has less than 10% active (melee) military, with at most 10% reserves (range military).

9 Axelords, 2 Swordmasters, 2 Mace Lords, 4 Spear Masters, and 1 recruit.
I remember we have The Neighborhood watch who have some marksdwarves skills, but aren't they elite yet? 
I also recall we have a second squad set for crossbows as well, but I don't think they were ever activated to train.

Anyway, just my observations.  I think we have room for 1 or 2 for war hammer training; perhaps cross train the 2 highest skilled in crossbow then promote them to cross-train the marksdwarves via barracks.  And start training on the 2nd range squad.  We do have those indoor archery ranges still, right?

I also notice the slow down in sieges, did we help deplete the goblins' army?

« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 08:36:18 am by Sanctume »

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: April 08, 2016, 10:21:36 am »

I remember we have The Neighborhood watch who have some marksdwarves skills, but aren't they elite yet? 
I also recall we have a second squad set for crossbows as well, but I don't think they were ever activated to train.

Anyway, just my observations.  I think we have room for 1 or 2 for war hammer training; perhaps cross train the 2 highest skilled in crossbow then promote them to cross-train the marksdwarves via barracks.  And start training on the 2nd range squad.  We do have those indoor archery ranges still, right?

I also notice the slow down in sieges, did we help deplete the goblins' army?

Neighborhood Watch ran out of bolts to train with because the bolts all got placed in bins (which for all intents and purposes makes them impossible to get.) I made another bolt stockpile without bins on top of the Looms, so crossbow training should proceed along fine now.
Spoiler: like this (click to show/hide)
Though as long as mayor Quasar is forbidding bolt trade, those original few stuck in the bins won't be movable. I think.

The Captain of the Guard is also a crossbow squad, so newly enlisted crossbow dwarves ought to get transferred there. The captain of the guard, Ast Virgindiamonds is a legendary crossbow dwarf so you can use her and Fath for crosstraining the rest, though in my opinion that's just a waste of time.

The goblins will be back, they are just conquering sites elsewhere in the world. We are quite a distance away from the action.

As for the caged Zuglarkun... I'll leave the decision to free her or not to the next overseer. QuQuasar overlooked 2 of our deities when making that last post about our pantheon (on purpose perhaps?). Abir has a rather interesting juxtaposition in her spheres of alignment, which I'll leave it to you folks to look up.

Based on my observations while playing, Breadbowl needs more manpower (yes more) to handle the crazy amounts of food, drink and various containers that we'll need to meet the 30,000 food 60,000 drink breakpoint that Quasar set. The good news? Magma glass should keep us covered on the containers front, for now. But I estimate that we'll need even more full-time glassmakers, cooks and brewers before we are through. I changed the kitchen layout from my last update, so things should be slightly more efficient now, but as you can see from that screenshot at the end, we'll need even more storage space before too long. That is about one season and a half's worth of constant production (more or less).

One more thing. Slaughter all but a breeding pair of the Elk birds once they are adult sized, and do keep an eye out for the cave crocodile and giant cave spider breeding program.

Let's keep things moving along. DDDragoni? Either that or MoonytheHuman? Duke Gwolfski is busy elsewhere as far as I know.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 10:43:44 am by Zuglarkun »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #728 on: April 08, 2016, 10:41:29 am »

Yeah im busy at least for two weeks
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: April 08, 2016, 10:44:47 am »

Awesome news on the Capt of the Guard!  Yeah, cross-training crossbows to hammer seems moot, but it's more to help skill up Armor User / Dodger than melee.

Bolt in bin issue, yeah that's in v40.24.  I've even heard "old bolts" are ignore and new squads prefer "new bolts" made.

I think we're in a good position to meet the 30k/60k quota.  So glass pots are the bottleneck.

How close are we to terminating alliance with the elves?  Because we have plenty of wood out there, and we can use barrels along with the glass pots. 

What about clay->glazed earthen wares?  That's another possibility for renewable once more magma-filled-minecarts can be brought up.

Other than that, we can also increase the farm plots by 50% using Potash at the cost of trees.  We're done doing Pearlash for clear glass.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: April 08, 2016, 11:06:05 am »

How close are we to terminating alliance with the elves?  Because we have plenty of wood out there, and we can use barrels along with the glass pots. 

What about clay->glazed earthen wares?  That's another possibility for renewable once more magma-filled-minecarts can be brought up.

Other than that, we can also increase the farm plots by 50% using Potash at the cost of trees.  We're done doing Pearlash for clear glass.

I've been using the 2 carpenter's we have to make barrels all year round to supplement our container needs. Ditto for the clay pots. I've even made some extra kilns to help with the glazing, we've had quite a lot of clay built up over the years in the trade depot. Unfortunately, Breadbowl has no native clay, so we can't depend on it, though we can import it.

As far as I know, farming and plants ain't a problem at all. We already have a horridly large surplus. Though I think King Sibrek would not mind at all if we fertilized everything, though that ties up even more dwarfpower every season.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 11:07:55 am by Zuglarkun »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: April 08, 2016, 12:36:04 pm »

Welcome to Breadbowl--you're either a king, a fertilizer, a farmer, or a pot maker.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #732 on: April 08, 2016, 04:35:41 pm »

or an anti-social duke.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: April 08, 2016, 06:18:08 pm »

or an anti-social duke.

Strawberries
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: April 08, 2016, 07:55:50 pm »

Let's keep things moving along. DDDragoni? Either that or MoonytheHuman? Duke Gwolfski is busy elsewhere as far as I know.

In an extraordinary measure of poor timing, I just started another succession fort. I could grab Breadbowl in maybe 4 days to a week if you're willing to wait that long or you could pass it along to Moony.
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 105