Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 421594 times)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [40.24]
« Reply #780 on: June 07, 2016, 08:34:38 am »

Heh heh.

The duke has issued a mandate! x2

Strawberry wine: 0/5

Plump helmet roast: 0/1
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #781 on: June 07, 2016, 08:49:56 am »

Overseer's Log - 10th of Timber
===

We sprang a leak.

A big leak

Turns out that the previous overseer had left the moat pumpstack operational, and forgot to shut it as it filled.

As I continue to review the the state of the fortress, I've noticed we've never exported mead. While some hives were installed, we are well below the necessary amount to get a steady flow of wax and mead. I've ordered this corrected immediately. Our goal is to reach the limit of the colonies one fortress can reach (60), then begin mass production.

Furthermore, I've noticed many of the animal pens are overflowing beyond their designed limits. A mass butchering has been ordered to both restore our meat stocks, improve the conditions of our animals, and improve something called framerate.

Work has continued to prepare the marine traps, but I failed to take in account the water coming in due to the waves. Water is spreading into the trenches faster than it can evaporate. As such, I've ordered construction of a screw pump and water reactor to drain the build site as we work. A retaining wall will be constructed to help keep the water out as we work.

In other news, an unfortunate dwarf was knocked into the ocean by a wave and drowned.

Because its in the little-travelled north-end of the site, no one noticed until the dwarven cavern was pushed into the moat and was lost. After freeing the dwarves from their burrow, the shutdown level was pulled and the water level began to recede.

Freed of his burrow, our moodly dwarf ran and got the rest of the items he needed

To help build the necessary mechanisms, a large section of the lower fort has been ordered to be excavated, and new workshops built.

---

(sorry if this is bland, I'm not really getting into character today :/)

EDIT: Forgot to mention we got our first tavern setup.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 08:57:06 am by NCommander »
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: June 07, 2016, 09:10:55 am »

If the mandate for that plump helmet roast is completed for the duke, we have jails waiting for those who defy the "no undeground edibles" as mandated by the residing monarch.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #783 on: June 07, 2016, 09:16:45 am »

If the mandate for that plump helmet roast is completed for the duke, we have jails waiting for those who defy the "no undeground edibles" as mandated by the residing monarch.

I thought the rule was underground farming. We can get plump helmets via plant picking which is what I'm going to do. Loophole abuse. Got to love it.

EDIT: I'm debating dismantling some of the many water reactors. They're framerate killers.
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: June 07, 2016, 09:26:34 am »

You should be able to disable the water reactors.  They are only needed to refill or drain. 

I think there should be lever-gear to disable each--but I was not fluent in the use of Notes for all the matching lever-link then.

Breadbowl is my first succession turn. :)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #785 on: June 07, 2016, 09:40:32 am »

You should be able to disable the water reactors.  They are only needed to refill or drain. 

I think there should be lever-gear to disable each--but I was not fluent in the use of Notes for all the matching lever-link then.

Breadbowl is my first succession turn. :)

Finally found where our framerate is going. The drainage pump was installed incorrectly, and its letting a small amount of water leak out, causing the entire moat's liquid table to refresh every tick. I'm DFhacking in an obsidian plug until I can build to the leak and patch it "properly" in the name of getting the framerate back up to playable. I've had the fort running for over four hours in the background and got a month done.

That's not it. We're leaking a small amount of water from the moat every tick. I thought it was leaking into the ocean which is why I couldn't find it, but when I hacked in the obsidian, it still dropped. Experimenting to figure out what's wrong with the moat.

EDIT: Oh for the love of. It's evaporating. The right edge of the moat clips the scorching biome.

biome: 4 (region id=130, Terrifying, savagery 79, evilness 82)

Any water on the surface of a scortching biome immediately starts to evaporate even if its 7/7, which causes the moat to start draining, and causing flows every tick.

EDIT 2: Yup.
temperature1: 10059 U
temperature2: 10059 U

The air is slightly higher than the evaporation point of water which is 10015 °U. Thus the water is disappearing, making the moat tank the framerate. I can either fix the biome so that doesn't happen, or we loose the moat.

EDIT 2: its also evaporating the ocean slowly. Yay for framerate suckers
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 09:58:47 am by NCommander »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: June 07, 2016, 11:02:50 am »

Will turning temperature off hinder things?

Well, unless we have a need for magma weapons now.

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: June 07, 2016, 11:26:36 am »

EDIT: Forgot to mention we got our first tavern setup.

I thought we were keeping it in 40.24?
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #788 on: June 07, 2016, 12:23:57 pm »

I thought we were keeping it in 40.24?

Frig. I'll have to restart my turn if that's the case. I updated to 42.06 as its the last version with a stable DFhack. Can I get confirmation that an upgrade is a dealbreaker before I play more?

(also, what is/was the reason to not upgrade, aside from the usual bugs)

Will turning temperature off hinder things?

Well, unless we have a need for magma weapons now.

It can cause some weird things to happen, and it didn't help much when I tried, but there is so much water flowing on the map, its hard to tell.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 12:25:35 pm by NCommander »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: June 07, 2016, 12:34:46 pm »

iirc, upgrading from 40.x -> 42.x will have missing items like books, scrolls or ability to make books.

No animal man types visitors when upgrading from 40.x; and I think missing associated graphic tiles for those animal man professions ?

And I think it would fix issues that makes world crashes when trees grow into constructions.

p.s. Illegal underground edibles were confiscated and resulted in the imprisonment and death by starvation by one of the overseer.  ;D

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #790 on: June 07, 2016, 12:37:03 pm »

iirc, upgrading from 40.x -> 42.x will have missing items like books, scrolls or ability to make books.

No animal man types visitors when upgrading from 40.x; and I think missing associated graphic tiles for those animal man professions ?

And I think it would fix issues that makes world crashes when trees grow into constructions.

p.s. Illegal underground edibles were confiscated and resulted in the imprisonment and death by starvation by one of the overseer.  ;D

The game doesn't generate scholars or needs related to them as far as I can tell if you upgrade, Doomforests upgraded without too much issue.

I've been tempted to create a DFHack script to add the necessary stuff for bookcases and such. Its not THAT difficult, I just haven't found all the missing ones yet.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: June 07, 2016, 06:17:32 pm »

I say no upgrade. 0.40 was buggy, but upgrading from 0.40 to 0.42 is even buggier.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #792 on: June 07, 2016, 06:47:01 pm »

I say no upgrade. 0.40 was buggy, but upgrading from 0.40 to 0.42 is even buggier.

Too late. Deal with it. Doomforests is 42.06 too.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #793 on: June 08, 2016, 02:05:48 am »

Too late. Deal with it. Doomforests is 42.06 too.

I'm about two months into it, but I'm waiting to hear one way or another. I of course would rather not restart but I'll cave to the majority. If I don't hear a clear decision either way by the end of the day, I'll post the update I already have and keep going.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #794 on: June 08, 2016, 02:51:21 am »

Also, I had more crashes with DFhack or vanilla 40.xx then in 42.06, in the same amount of time, so I think 42.06 is less buggy
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 105