Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 424879 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06]
« Reply #825 on: June 10, 2016, 03:24:17 pm »

The roads of Breadbowl are on fire. The fire burns one down, spreads to the next, and it continues. I now have !!dwarfs!!

EDIT: The trade depot ignited and exploded. The cage traps melted. The military can't get close.Everything is !!fire!!

^_ Here's a summary

EDIT 2: The military can't even get close. All the smoke and flames cause !!dwarfs!! I've already lost two military dwarfs, the legendary armorsmith, and the mayor. I can't get to the lever control room, or even see a way to put the flames out unless it rains. Everyone is heading for the caverns; the only part of the fort I can seal without the levers due to hatches.

EDIT 3: the duke is dead, the watchers are mostly dead. All burns ...

EDIT 4: The heat ignited the apartments one level up. The stairwells are on fire too.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 03:41:02 pm by NCommander »
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: June 10, 2016, 03:41:11 pm »

!!wow!! I knew I should have engineered a way to flood inner Breadbowl when I made that Triple-Double pump stack for filling and draining the moat.

But that !!boar!! bacon, such a discovery.  We should get the cooks to add that in every lavish meals.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: June 10, 2016, 03:53:29 pm »

FUCK WHY IS EVERYTHING MADE OF WOOD

This is why I like glass cages. THEY DON'T BURN.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #828 on: June 10, 2016, 03:55:15 pm »

The dragon has been slain (some civilians trapped with them had an axe and got lucky. Was still hoping to catch it, but whatever), but Breadbowl continues to burn. I've ordered all underground with the hope the flames will eventually dose themselves.

(I do have a save from before I burnt the fort down, but this is funnier/more awesome so unless peoplpe think I should savescum, I'm keeping this inferno)

EDIT: yeah, the surface is completely uninhabitable, and the heat is starting fires a few z-levels up. I think most of the fort population is OK, but I'm going to have to let it this burn itself out. 0/2 on cavarens escaping. I think we have !!elfs!!, I can't see through all the smoke.

EDIT 3: The forges are now !!forges!!

EDIT 2: WOn't have helped stopped the dragon inferno. Dragonfire can melt almost anything in the game and unless it cools very fast, even candy cages would have melted. It can be blocked with any shields oddly though.

Over 50 dwarfs are dead.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 04:05:06 pm by NCommander »
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: June 10, 2016, 04:10:29 pm »

Convenience and circumstances.

We're in a heavy forested biomes. 

Aquifer slowed the stone industry, and Early flooding.

Focus was on food production export which is why we have less than 20 military even at the peak of 140 pop, and goblins were sending sieges 2x a year which is not bad for a v42.

Clear Glass Blocks production using wood fuel took priority to make farm plots z-1 instead of on the surface.

Our walls are made of stone blocks. 

It's only been a few years when we got some handful of magma brought on the surface, and those were used to make glass pots as well as magma forges.

So Dragonfire (I've never encountered before) will burn constructed walls even if they are magma-indestructible?

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #830 on: June 10, 2016, 04:13:35 pm »

Constructed walls will survive anything short of a cave-in. A fair number of workshops are also fire safe. The worst of the flames are going out as they run out of things to burn, or are no longer hot enough to ignite things. As far as I can tell, no lignite bins got hit which would have been very bad.

So basically, the walls and some workshops are only thing still standing. However, dragonfire is hot enough that it can burn *through* walls which is how all the fires got started. Basically, the temp go so hot the grass on the far side of the wall ignited. Then the door ignited and well ... the fort continues to burn.

But some sections have been spared. The tavern has been OK, and shockingly, the fire went around the hippies. They're trapped in the depot, but they're not !!elfs!!. Some of it is spreading down the hill however and towards the ocean.

EDIT: The bauxite road is acting as a fire break. At least that section of the fort is OK if the flames don't come back.

EDIT 2: Spoke too soon, a couple of trees just went up which are now starting new fires.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 04:19:58 pm by NCommander »

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #831 on: June 10, 2016, 04:23:38 pm »

Damn you. Find me a good mechanic dwarf and I am to become the duke again!
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: June 10, 2016, 04:31:58 pm »

Do burnt trees count against the Elf treaty?

also it's  "The Hill of Death" not Silent Hill as I posted earlier.
A pick was not in the embark, so no digging was initially done until the first autumn caravan came.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #833 on: June 10, 2016, 04:53:36 pm »

Do burnt trees count against the Elf treaty?

also it's  "The Hill of Death" not Silent Hill as I posted earlier.
A pick was not in the embark, so no digging was initially done until the first autumn caravan came.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nope. The tree gets replaced with dead XXX tree, and then caves in (something collasped on the surface).
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 04:55:33 pm by NCommander »

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: June 10, 2016, 05:47:51 pm »

Holy shit.

After so many years of peace, growing and prospering, getting to know the dwarves of Breadbowl and their relationships with each other... it's actually kind of a shock to be reminded of what Dwarf Fortress is.

G.R.R Martin, eat your heart out.

A dragon showed up. I'm trying to catch it. Most of the fort is on fire.
This is going on the main page. :D
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 05:50:08 pm by QuQuasar »

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #835 on: June 10, 2016, 05:50:21 pm »

This is a charred masterwork journal. On the cover is a picture of fire and a dragon. It is decorated with spikes of carbon, dustings of ash, and a smell of brimestone.
---

The great beast looked upon us from within its cage. With a fell breath, it blew flame, and all was engulfed.

Freed, the mightly dragon rampaged. Flames spread without control.

We thought we could cage the beast. We were wrong.

The main road, built in our haste from wood, and turned into tinder by the unrelenting sun caught flame. It acted like a wick, and the fire continued to grow.

We decided to elect our king as the mayor as the previous one melted into a puddle of dwarf.

We fled the surface, least we join him.

The flames swept Breadbowl clean. No one was spared from the inferno who was caught in its wake.

Great works, dwarfs, all were consumed.

The heat of the flame spread upwards.

A few brave caught in the hell stubbled upon the dragon herself.

The elfs, protected by the trade depot watched as everything turned to ash around them.

Breadbowl is being consumed alive ...

The forges ignite ...

The king is surrounded but alive.

The fire wicks into a wall burned towards the edge

In its heat, the trees themselves burst into flame.

Reduced to ash, the trees collaspe in on themselves.

---

The journal continues in a different hand ...

The fires rage out of Breadbowl. Wind is blowing them south. We've begun to survey the damage.

A timely rain extinished the last few embers.

From fire, there comes new life. New birth. The phoenix itself dies in fire, and rises in fire, and so will Breadbowl. We will bury our dead, and clear our rot, and rebuild.

For there is still life here ...

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: June 10, 2016, 05:54:19 pm »

1. Well, so much for executing Gwolfski for mandating plump helmet meals.
2. I'm so glad I never took a dwarf, because they would have died and I would look silly.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #837 on: June 10, 2016, 05:55:59 pm »

1. Well, so much for executing Gwolfski for mandating plump helmet meals.
2. I'm so glad I never took a dwarf, because they would have died and I would look silly.

You could say I burnt that mandate with fire. :)

Holy shit.

After so many years of peace, growing and prospering, getting to know the dwarves of Breadbowl and their relationships with each other... it's actually kind of a shock to be reminded of what Dwarf Fortress is.

G.R.R Martin, eat your heart out.

Remember that part where you trusted me? Yeah ... *cough*.

I'll admit, I've lost in interesting ways, but I've never literally incinerated a fortress before. I've also been laughing so hard at both the fire, and this thread that its hard to play.

For my spot on the main page, when you list the exports, can you put it as:

Imported Dragon. Exported Fire.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #838 on: June 10, 2016, 06:03:01 pm »

Here's the save so people can look at the carrange: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12131. I kinda wish I remembered that DF has recording features, as screenshots really don't show the scope of the wreck.

I still have 10 months left to finish off the place. 60 dead in a turn is a new record for me.

(I used to think I had morales, then I played Dwarf Fortress).

EDIT: I regret not catching the dragon after all that though :/. I tried to get the dwarfs to leave her alone but they won't break off even after burrowing them all manually.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 06:04:53 pm by NCommander »

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #839 on: June 10, 2016, 06:14:00 pm »

Incidentally, and to leave things on a more insane note, I had a slight accident with the ocean. As we don't have it anymore.

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 105