Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 421626 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06]
« Reply #900 on: June 16, 2016, 05:13:48 pm »

The siege is over. One side was annihilated, but not without heavy losses. Legends mode is not properly showing the final counts, but it was over 100 goblins+support by my screenshots.

Update coming tonight.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: June 16, 2016, 05:50:09 pm »

Glad to see The Hell of Emancipating finally brought the war to us: it wouldn't have been proper to end to the fortress without a climactic battle between us and them.

The burning of Breadbowl is actually quite shocking, when you think about it. This isn't a disaster zone with daily atrocities like so many other fortresses. The dwarves of Breadbowl aren't hardened warriors on the front line or hopeless outcasts besieged by the undead. They're peaceful farmers, cooks and animal trainers, living comfortably and making the best food in the world. They're basically a dwarfy version of Redwall Abbey.

For the better part of a decade, Breadbowl was a genuinely nice place to live. That would be astonishing enough in Dwarf Fortress, but this is a Dwarf Fortress succession game. That's unheard of.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: June 16, 2016, 06:02:08 pm »

It's more - it's like Redwall, but with all the enemies and none of the plot armor.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: June 16, 2016, 06:38:58 pm »

It's more - it's like Redwall, but with all the enemies and none of the plot armor.
Isn't the protagonist of Redwall Abbey a fucking Hamster tho?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: June 16, 2016, 07:04:58 pm »

Isn't the protagonist of Redwall Abbey a fucking Hamster tho?
No.  Mouse.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #905 on: June 16, 2016, 08:14:57 pm »

Oddom Besmarlis
Chief Medical Dwarf - imarust
10th of Limestone
---

As morale continues to plumment, fistfights and injuries are becoming more and more common.

As it stands though, we have many who are injuried, and no hospital, so soap production has begun, and a new hospital has been set aside in a disused stock room.

While not up to the same standard of beauty as our old hospital, I'm hoping it will stop the production of dead bodies in the fort. On that note: Work on slabbing our dead also came to a hard and fast stop when the fortress ran out of stone.

Miners have been dispatched to try and find some useless boulders so we may continue the slabbing. As the full moon approached, my werebeast experiment finished off the last round of test subjects, confirming that virus is not transferable to animals. I've thus begun work on the next part of my experiment.

---
9th of Limestone

I've been hearing conflicting reports that Cilob, the current guard captain, has been starting fist fights, but strangely, no one will report the crime. I suspect many are afraid to come forward if Cilob was relieved of his position. As it stands, he was chronically late with his paperwork anyway. A notice was put up in the tavern that Elib would take over the guard. Quickly, reports began to fly in.

Justice was served.

I was told he was apprehended starting another fight in the barrack.

---

26th of Limestone
Preparations are complete for the next phase of werebeast testing. The goblin is deployed.

Failure. Not only did Urdim fail to bite the goblin as instructed, he did not even land a single hit. This experiment (and the test subject) are ruined. The sterilization procedure is enacted.

The hospitals is ours again, but I'm told getting the blood stains out will take awhile.

24th of Limestone
---

Winter is nearly here. Our production rates are beginning to climb following the Great Optimization of labors, and barrel production has reached a new high. We've now have over 1,500 units of drink in stock, and our prepared meals grow every day. I'm optimistic that the new year will bring us revived hope. But now, we must prepare. Winter is coming.

1st of Moonstone
---

Winter has come.

Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #906 on: June 16, 2016, 11:24:19 pm »

Taupe was the first to notice the goblins as they cleared the hills surronding Breadbowl. As military commander, he was responsible to limit the deaths surronding the fort, even if in his heart he just didn't care anymore.  Breadbowl's control room had been reclaimed, but the fort was sealed except for the western bridge to the barrack. As such, any invaders who wanted to enter the fort had to pass through the barrack. Unfortunately, the goblin recon knew this, and decided to go for easier pray.

Crazy Blades drew his sword. "Shouldn't we do something?". Taupe considered it.

"No, we go out there, we'll get caught in a cross-fire. Nothing we can do ..."

Sibrek, a miner who had been hauling blocks to shore up a deficiency in the north wall was caught between the goblins entering. One of the crossbowmen aimed and took fire, but Sibrek wasn't going to deal with that.

"To fucking hell with you, I've seen dragon, I've see death, I DON'T FUCKING CARE!"

Sanctume blinks. So did the rest of the military. They had heard stories that a legendary miner could route seiges all on their own, but until this moment, none of them believed them. "Taupe, we need to recruit that guy!"

"If he lives ..."

"Yeash, you always got to be on the negative man"; Murky was sitting on the far side of the barrack, only barely aware of what was going on. Rumors had it that he was running an (literally) underground supply ring of plump helments, but no one could prove it.

"Fuck. Taupe, can we please engage!"

"No! We go out there, we get pincushioned. That's just the opening wave. Look!"

The goblins clearly knew that Breadbowl had seen better days and were determined to finish the job. The initial count was 80, but the fortress's resident counter, Bearskie said there was even more.
"Here they come boys, light them up!"

Crazy Blades moved ahead, to block the entrance.

"No one that ugly enters Breadbowl on my watch".

The troll and his spearman handler roared and charged.

"All you got, punks?"
---

On the catwalks, Pyro watched helpless as a carpenter was cut down. A group of goblins had spread north, obviously hoping that one of Breadbowl's other entrances were open, and were mowing down anyone in their path. Unfortunately, all they found was Neblime.

Pyro and his watchers fired a few bolts to try and get their attention, but at that range, it was no use. He kept watching for anyone to move close enough to make the goblins pay for Neblime.

"Boss, look!"

"They're bringing in the heavies!"

Pyro swore. "Get down to the barrack, and let Taupe know he's about to have company. Watchers, to arms, we need to buy the meele guys more time!"

Someone piped up behind, "10 bits to whomever gets the first headshot!"

---

Crazy Blades had done well.

But well wasn't good enough. With each goblin, troll, or orge he cut down, three more took their place as they forced their way into the cramped barrack.

He was starting to tire, and a recruit saw a chance for glory.

Blades tried to stop Bomrek, but the cocky recruit was struck down after he took a moment to celebrate his victory.

Blade and Taupe (who had been standing near the entrance way) were startled when Angus, whom had up to this point been silent, let our a ferral roar and charged into the fight stepping over them to do so.

Bomrek had been his favorite student after all.

He was going to paint the ground blue in troll blood.

He was going to fulfill his life long goal of becoming a dentist.

He was ... distracted at the worst possible time.

Taupe had not liked Sakzul. He was lazy, and ill suited for military, but the orders from high up was all were to be trained. Unfortunately, in his first real fight, he snapped, and punched Angus straight upside the head. The momentary distraction was enough to turn the tide of battle.

Many goblins were dead, but so was much of Breadbowl's military. Only a few veterans remained, and if this last line of defense was breached, the fortress was doomed. Taupe gave the order.

---

Pyro saw the handsignals from his crowsnest. He didn't like it, but he relayed the message on the update. "Prepare for fighting within the city!"

The tide of battle had turned against Breadbowl. The reservists and citizens milta were mobilized.

---

Lolor, a relatively new recruit jumped into the fray. "Arg boys, we ain't going down that easily!"

Urist Nakasreg, the civilian who happened to become a legend by slaying Uslot and ending the great burn, could only nod as another swipe of the axe sent a head rolling.

Taupe did the math. They were down 12 dwarfs, including several veterans, but the goblins had lost over 70. The remainder was starting to break up. The goblins were out of ammo, and there retreat had turned into a route as some had gotten stuck in the moat. This was there chance.

He did the math in his head, and made the call. He was going to end this.

"All units, ATTACK!"

---

15 drunken bastards charged out of the barrack. Blood, guts, and brains flew left and right. The goblin's leadership had been offed by Pyro's marksdwarfs, and the retreat had shattered their lines. Now to escape Breadbowl, the goblins would have to go through Taupe and his men. He gave only one order.

"No survivors"

Within a day, there were only five goblins and a troll left.

Withint two days, the counts were in. Only four goblins had left Breadbowl with their lives. Six had stumbled into traps. Over 65 goblins slain, 11 trolls, and 7 orges lay dead. The entrance-way to Breadbowl was caked in blood, but there was only one thing as in his mind as Taupe signaled up to Pyro. Two words.

"Breadbowl Endures"

The question on his mind, for how long?

They had survived trial by goblins (twice!), trial by dragon, trial by fire,  trial by werebeast and trial by ocean ...

Sooner or later, they would fail ...
---

OOC: I believe we've passed the 100 dead dwarfs mark. It should be noted I've gotten every migrant wave in, and I started at 200 dwarfs. The fort FPS is now sitting at a lovely five due to the pile of corpses our military paved the road with. I'm likely going to need an extension to finish this place off. It's amazing how much things has gone to shit ... Hope this is dwarfy enough.

On the plus side, nearly every surviving member of the military has a nickname now. Also, I think Dwarf Fortress finally ran out of things to throw me. This is what I get for getting slightly bored. I suspect I've made enough !!corpses!! that we might get an age change when spring rolls around.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 11:43:18 pm by NCommander »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: June 17, 2016, 08:50:50 am »

Strodno the ogre and his harem, everyone.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #908 on: June 17, 2016, 04:12:17 pm »

So I'm playing for a bit while on a break and fully tallying up the carriage.

I believe with the exception of Taupe, I've offed all the previous overseers, the CMD (my *second* avatar I killed), and a good chunk of the military.

... why do I destroy every fort I touch :( ...

The fort is almost through moonstone. Unless DF really ups its game, Breadbowl will survive til Spring.

EDIT: our doctors are leveling up quickly reassembling the survivors.

EDIT 2: Quite a few of our military dwarfs have infections ...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 04:43:32 pm by NCommander »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: June 17, 2016, 05:22:23 pm »

Wait, how did I die?

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #910 on: June 17, 2016, 06:29:41 pm »

Wait, how did I die?

Correction, 7 out of ten. Though youre in queue for the hospital so I might still claim you

Shoot, bearski is still alive too. I need to kill more dwarfs
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 06:41:20 pm by NCommander »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: June 17, 2016, 08:37:29 pm »

I believe with the exception of Taupe, I've offed all the previous overseers, the CMD (my *second* avatar I killed), and a good chunk of the military.

Yeah that's because I never actually had a turn in this fort.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #912 on: June 17, 2016, 10:44:06 pm »

Yeah that's because I never actually had a turn in this fort.

Oops, I thought you did. Well, I guess 8/10 overseers dead then. Go me.

Final update will be up in 1-2 hours. I've got 22 in-game days to finish and then Breadbowl goes off to the next player.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #913 on: June 17, 2016, 11:42:09 pm »

This is an exceptional overseer's log. It is covered in goblin blood, and ash. The page lays open to the final entry of Year 245. No name is signed

---

The battle is over, and now we patch up our hurt.

For the first time in nearly a year, the military is stood down:

The long winter has passed, and the telltale signs of Spring are on the horizon.

The eggs are hatching.

Babies are being born

Dwarfs are blooming on the trees

We have licked our wounds, and life as always goes on in Breadbowl. With Spring arriving, a new overseer will come. Our blood, sweat, and tears will be shipped away with nothing to be shown for it.

I do not know who will next lead Breadbowl, but to you, I leave this warning: Change is coming.
---
Spring Has Arrived!

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #914 on: June 17, 2016, 11:49:55 pm »

And its done: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12156

Not sure who's next so no PM sent. Anyway, let's summarize:

Fortress's burnt: 1/1
Dwarfs Killed: 80-100+
Dragons Slayed: 1/1
Ocean's Lost: 1/1
Goblin Sieges Routed: 2/2
Werebeasts Dispatched: 1.5/1.5 (the infectee was contained)
Nobles Dealt With: Yes

---
Yeah, DF basically threw everything it had all at once at Breadbowl, and we're still standing.  \o/. Though I can't say it will stay that way.

Speaking broadly, the situation can basically be described as post-World War I Germany, except the Allied Powers burnt the Rhine down with dragons instead of annexing it in the Treaty of Versailles. Let me explain:

The fortress is teetering on the edge of a 60+ tantrum spiral, and nothing short of a work stoppage and rehabilitation is going to stop it. But with our production mandates by the king means that the peasants will have to work, and pay reparations to the rest of the Old Nets, leaving nothing for themselves.

We were a much happier community before the the war with the goblins. In my mind, I see Taupe fulfilled the role of Otto van Bismarck as a great military leader.

The entire population is armed with iron or steel weaponry, and is in a minimum of leather armor. Right now, the only thing that has prevented the fortress from spiraling is the justice system as the unhappiest are getting dungeoned before they cleve Urist McAnydude's head off with a  butter knife. However, with 60+ dwarfs, including the captain's squad, you can't get them all chained up.

When the tantrium spiral kicks, someone is going to get killed. That's going to start a loyalty cascade (I had several minor ones on my turn as is). Given the state of the fortress, a full blown civil war is likely. If/when the dust settles, we're going to have a lot of unhappy dwarfs ticked off at the royalty.

We have a tavern. The unpleasantness that followed in Germany was started in a tavern in Munich.

---

From a roleplay perspective, I love the idea of us overthrowing the king and ending the production mandates. I think any overseers should just let the fort spiral and cascade so we have viva la revolution, though hopefully we won't re-enact Germany 1923-45, and instead re-emerge as a community filled with peace and love.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 12:02:17 am by NCommander »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 105