Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 421652 times)

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06]
« Reply #1140 on: September 17, 2016, 05:12:03 pm »

Could you add the giant louse fiasco to the quotable quotes segment?
Which comments? (I'll add it, but to be honest I didn't find any of the comments there particularly quotable)

I'll give Luneya one more day. If anyone else wants to come in and oversee Breadbowl, that would be most welcome. That includes people who have already had a term, since we're about to enter second term overseer territory.

Oh wait, NCommander is up next. Minor correction then: "If anyone else wants to come in and oversee the flaming crater where Breadbowl once was..."

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Requesting Overseers
« Reply #1141 on: September 17, 2016, 05:14:44 pm »

NCommander's actually a competent overseer, the problem is he got really really unlucky on his last turn. Well, at least there aren't any more dragons!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: September 17, 2016, 05:38:16 pm »

There's at least 1 more dragon.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: September 17, 2016, 05:54:57 pm »

fuck we're doomed

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: September 17, 2016, 08:59:09 pm »

I'm here. Sorry for not responding sooner; I hadn't been checking the forum as frequently with nothing happening. I'll probably get my first game posts up on Monday.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1145 on: September 18, 2016, 02:23:13 am »

NCommander's actually a competent overseer, the problem is he got really really unlucky on his last turn. Well, at least there aren't any more dragons!

I dunno, 2016 has been a bad year for me burning down forts. If you think what I did to Breadbowl was bad, you should take a look at the impact crater I left in Boarpaints. You're still sigged about my turn though :).

I can't say I've very much been in a DF mood as of late so I'm happy to let anyone have my slot.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: September 18, 2016, 05:31:33 am »

I'm here. Sorry for not responding sooner; I hadn't been checking the forum as frequently with nothing happening. I'll probably get my first game posts up on Monday.

Well, you can use the notification to email feature.
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: September 19, 2016, 03:07:28 pm »

10 Galena 248, in the Royal Throne Room:

King Sibrek: Gentledwarves, We have called this meeting because We have a serious crisis on Our hands. With the abrupt resignation of Migrant, We have no dwarves remaining who are qualified to assume the position of overseer. This situation has forced Us to personally take on the mundane trivia of running a fortress, which is entirely unacceptable.

Commander Taupe: Can't you just draft a random dwarf like we usually do, your majesty?

King Sibrek: It's too important a position to be given to just any peasant. We do, of course, maintain a list of qualified dwarves to whom the position may be assigned. However, it appears that the content of the list is no longer a secret. None of Our candidates has been seen in nearly a month. They must be punished for this dereliction of duty, of course, but the problem of selecting an overseer must take priority. Viscount HMetal, do you have any candidates to suggest?

Viscount HMetal: No, your majesty. I have not seen your list of qualified dwarves, but neither have I seen any of the dwarves that I would judge to be capable in the past month.

Aristotle: If I may, you majesty?

King Sibrek: We are listening.

Aristotle: My teacher, Plato, taught that philosophers make better overseers than do the sort of dwarves that are more typically selected by the nobility.

Viscount HMetal: In the absence of any more conventional candidates, Aristotle's suggestion does seem reasonable, sire.

King Sibrek: Ha! It's obviously a self-serving push for power. But We have no other candidates. Very well, the recommendation is accepted.

Aristotle: Thank you, your majesty.

King Sibrek: Not so fast. We did not say that you are appointed overseer. It happens that you are not the only philosopher in this fortress.

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: September 19, 2016, 03:29:05 pm »

From the diary of Luneya, first philosopher-overseer of Breadbowl:

11 Galena 248

Last night, King Sibrek summoned me to an audience, where he decreed that on account of my work as a philosopher, I would be elevated to the position of overseer of Breadbowl. I was very surprised to be so chosen. Philosopher-kings are certainly not fashionable among the dwarves, and even if they were, Aristotle would be the more logical candidate. His work deals with practical matters such as the nature of fire and the biology of the various animals of the world. Mine deals with such elfy matters as epistemology and (Armok forbid) normative ethics. (Should any non-philosophers ever have cause to read this, note that normative ethics means moral theory; this is opposed to Aristotle's dwarfier ethical theory, which focuses on self-improvement.) My most un-dwarven taste in philosophies is in fact the reason why I am a citizen of Breadbowl in the first place. The leader of my previous outpost wanted to exile me to the elven kingdom, but his Sheriff told him that he did not have the legal authority to do so. So he sent me to Breadbowl instead, thinking that a fortress dedicated to the production of above-ground food crops was the next thing to an elven kingdom. This was, of course, before we got the news of Breadbowl's military achievements, or the news that it would be named mountainhome.

Anyway, my first task as overseer is to deal with an ethical question. Is it morally acceptable to engage in the mass slaughter of helpless animals? Given that we presently have 359 animals, I think I will be forced to answer in the affirmative, and worry about rationale later.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: September 19, 2016, 03:51:31 pm »

Hehehe.

Here's another to ponder.

Is it moral to engage in mass slaughter of the civilized people - elves, dwarves, goblins and humans?

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: September 19, 2016, 04:32:13 pm »

OOC note: In my first attempt to run the fortress, it chugged along at 12 FPS for about two game-weeks, then crashed. I'm not about to give up yet--my character isn't THAT elfy--but I can't promise success. I'll make another attempt later this evening.

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: September 19, 2016, 04:40:03 pm »

Hehehe.

Here's another to ponder.

Is it moral to engage in mass slaughter of the civilized people - elves, dwarves, goblins and humans?

Breadbowl isn't a slaughter-the-peaceful-traders fortress, so elves and humans won't be an issue. As for goblins, self-defense is morally acceptable. One might argue that we're in the wrong in the present war, since our act of aggression in founding a fortress in the middle of goblin territory caused the whole thing. But my character is a philosopher, not a historian, so that point won't occur in-character.

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: September 19, 2016, 11:44:14 pm »

1 Limestone 248

I managed to reach my first season-turning as overseer without any significant difficulties. The slaughtering is progressing slowly; we're down to 319 animals. To try to speed things up, I've enabled the butchery labor on everyone, suspended various low-priority jobs (mostly in construction) and built a couple additional butcher shops. Manager Asen has warned me not to cancel certain "destroy building" jobs on pain of some nebulous catastrophe he calls a "crash." I don't really understand what he's talking about, but I've left those jobs alone nonetheless. I've also ordered a halt to animal training, and placed most of the non-tame animals on the slaughtering list. I realize this might be unpleasant news for the trainers, but Breadbowl is a working farm; slaughtering the animals that you've personally raised is part of the business.

In other news, the planter Udib Olinmuthir has fallen into depression. I have attempted to snap him out of it, but with no obvious success. Still, he hasn't suicided yet. As they say, where there's life, there's hope. And life is something of which Breadbowl has no shortage  ;D

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: September 20, 2016, 01:44:27 am »

6 Sandstone 248

I just finished dealing with the Dwarven caravan. I wasn't able to fulfill the mandate of "sell all food" because my hauling crew was too darned slow, and most of my food stocks were loose rather than barreled, creating too many hauling tasks. (Yes, I know I could have waited another week before the caravan bailed on me, but I ran out of patience.) Adding to the annoyance, my bookkeeper has not kept up her records accurately, so I had to manually tally the goods. By my counts, we sent out 288 raw plants, 319 eggs, and 811 raw and prepared meat products, for a total value of $85516. I got about half that value back in miscellaneous metals, blocks, empty containers, weapons, and clothing, being careful not to accept anything from the forbidden import list.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: September 20, 2016, 02:55:10 am »

Put me on the turn list.
IT'S ALIIIIIVE
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 105