Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 421677 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Requesting Overseers
« Reply #1155 on: September 20, 2016, 04:22:26 am »

Ooh, trees growing through constructions crashing the game I take it? Nasty.

Could pre-haul the food near to depot, though wooden containers make elves unhappy.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: September 20, 2016, 05:21:40 am »

This is a prologue.

Journal of HMetal Spunceiling, Viscount of Breadbowl
12 Galena, 248

So one of our philosophers, Luneya has taken command over the fort? At least he has a mind for thinking. If I had to do it, I'd be too hammered. Probably beacuse working in a still leads to "the inhalation of alcohol fumes". That's what the doctors here say anyway. Well, it "causes a permanent impairing of the brain".

But aren't dwarven brains dependent on alcohol?

Oh, Luneya. So now our philosopher-overseer is now pondering about the 359 giant olms and other animals are to be slaughtered or not. How do I know?  Er, uhh...

He's been murmuring across the halls as though his wife(Armok forgive) had been taken to the hospital for fractured ribs. Let's just hope it goes alright.

I was AFK when Luneya's first diary entry was posted, so I had to make it a prologue. Sorry for the anachronism.
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: September 20, 2016, 01:31:17 pm »

From the diary of Luneya, first philosopher-overseer of Breadbowl:

1 Moonstone, 248

Winter has arrived, and everything is still running smoothly. The animal population is down to 125, with most of the marked beasts having been slaughtered. This has given me time to look into more fundamental management issues. I noticed that a previous overseer had assigned our strongest dwarf, Murky, as captain of the fortress guard. This choice is morally repugnant, as it has the effect of turning even the most minor of crimes into a de facto capital offense. Even those dwarves who reject the notion of morality should be horrified at the waste of useful laborers. I ordered Murky transferred to the regular military, where her skills can do us some good, and picked a suitably weak dwarf to take over the fortress guard. I didn't want to waste resources preparing quarters for the new guard-captain, but I was able to find enough suitable spaces by scrounging through older regions of the fortress. Captain Likot has his bedroom, dining table, and weapon/armor/office space on three different levels of the fortress, but he doesn't seem to have any objection to this.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: September 20, 2016, 01:43:59 pm »

The reason you still have a fort is because of Murky! She killed all the tantrumers before they could stress out the more stable dwarves!

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: September 20, 2016, 02:04:02 pm »

The viscount CAN'T DIE!
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.

Migrant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: September 20, 2016, 02:11:14 pm »

I am most pleased that my quitting didn't end the fort although it took a full moth to recover. Luneya you seem to be handling the animal menace quite well which make the DFHack discussion moot. Has there been a great FPS gain after you murdered 200 animals?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: September 20, 2016, 03:23:06 pm »

If Sanctume was still Captain of the Guard, he would a mace for punishment, and the thick-headed tantrumers will be left alive, retarded, mewling helplessly as they crawl around and licking their meals off the floor.

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: September 20, 2016, 09:07:29 pm »

The reason you still have a fort is because of Murky! She killed all the tantrumers before they could stress out the more stable dwarves!

That may be, but the fort is stable now. We only have one severely stressed dwarf left, and he seems to be a depressive rather than a tantrumer. It was time to make the switch.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: September 20, 2016, 09:08:35 pm »

fair enough

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: September 20, 2016, 09:12:36 pm »

I am most pleased that my quitting didn't end the fort although it took a full moth to recover. Luneya you seem to be handling the animal menace quite well which make the DFHack discussion moot. Has there been a great FPS gain after you murdered 200 animals?

I didn't murder them. I butchered them for food, as per Breadbowl's mission statement. Murder would be the sort of pit drop "sacrifice to Armok" arrangement seen in less pastoral forts. I personally have never liked such setups, and my character would definitely disapprove. As for FPS, it's improved from 12 up to at least 16, with occasional bursts of 20 FPS when very little is going on.

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: September 20, 2016, 09:33:27 pm »

So one of our philosophers, Luneya has taken command over the fort? At least he has a mind for thinking. If I had to do it, I'd be too hammered. Probably beacuse working in a still leads to "the inhalation of alcohol fumes". That's what the doctors here say anyway. Well, it "causes a permanent impairing of the brain".

But aren't dwarven brains dependent on alcohol?

Even human philosophers tend to be the type of people who can drink until they get sick without suffering much mental impairment in the process. They might not be able to drive home or even walk in a straight line, but they can still argue coherently. I imagine that a dwarven philosopher would be much the same, only more so.

Incidentally, here's my character's profile:

She's not actually alcohol-dependent, but is "fond of drink" and seems to be getting positive moods for drunkenness. So I guess she fits the model.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 09:40:06 pm by luneya »

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: September 20, 2016, 09:50:47 pm »

Within the last week she felt disgust after retching on miasma, nothing after witnessing death (x16), horrified after witnessing death (x183), grouchy when caught in the rain, euphoric due to inebriation (+100).

The quintessential Breadbowl experience: mountains of corpses rotting in the neverending rain and everyone too drunk to care.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: September 20, 2016, 09:51:00 pm »

That's not bad at all. Truly, Khorne rewards you for spilling the blood.

Also, having both seen and done drunkposting, I'd say that statement is more like "you don't really need that much brainpower to pump a screw".

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: September 21, 2016, 12:47:26 am »

28 Obsidian 248, in the Royal Throne Room:

Hammerer/Herald Feb: Your Majesty, Philosopher-Overseer Luneya is here with the end-of-year report.

King Sibrek: Send her in.

Luneya: Your Majesty, the fortress has prospered throughout my half-year tenure as overseer. In the autumn, we successfully completed the project of culling unnecessary livestock. This winter, we have been able to shift resources back into normal operations, and expect to have much food and booze to ship out by the spring caravan.

King Sibrek: That is good news, given the disappointing reports We have had about the fall caravan.

Luneya: Yes, Your Majesty.

King Sibrek: Do you have any other events of note to report?

Luneya: Yes, Your Majesty. The goblins declared a siege this winter, but did no damage. However, we did face one real attack during the siege period, from an ettin. The ettin damaged a mechanical device at the southeastern corner of the fort; I have not ordered repairs, as I have not been able to determine anything about that machine’s purpose or operation. The ettin then made its way from the caverns to the surface outside of the fort, where it killed the few siegers who actually entered the map, and then proceeded to slay one civilian (Oddom Vabokvathez, Coffin Jockey) and severely wounded another (Ast Kaboslan, Animal Caretaker); the military arrived in time to prevent the death of the latter, and easily dispatched the ettin. As this took place during the siege, neither civilian had any business being outside of the fort with the ettin at all; the fate of such fools is of no importance to the fortress as a whole.

King Sibrek: Considering the history of this fortress, that is a favorable military report indeed. We still profess some doubts about the philosopher-overseer concept, but to now your performance has exceeded Our expectations. We therefore authorize and direct you to continue as overseer for one full year.

Luneya: Thank you, Your Majesty. I shall not disappoint you.

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: September 21, 2016, 01:04:34 am »

OOC question: Do we currently have a dorfing queue? The thread's gotten so long that it's impossible to find anything.

Here's the list of currently named dwarves that are still alive: (The dead are far too numerous to post.)

With a total population of 115, and only these 14 taken, there's plenty of room for any and all requests to be fulfilled.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 105