Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 421688 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Requesting Overseers
« Reply #1200 on: October 04, 2016, 06:21:44 pm »

I nicknamed her Lazy Bastard because she NEVER ONCE DID ANY MINING EVEN AFTER I PUT THE DESIGNATIONS AT MAX PRIORITY

I'm glad Murky lived, she's my favorite dwarf. But Kol is dead, huh? I'm going to claim Tough Kid then. No name change or anything though. Can I see his/her profile?

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: October 04, 2016, 06:32:43 pm »

Murky and Tough Kid are both on the dead list from the FB attack. I have plenty of other kids, though.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: October 04, 2016, 06:35:22 pm »

Wait I fucked up. I thought the dead list was the survivor list. Well, it's a shame about Murky and Tough Kid, but that means Kol is still alive and I still have a dwarf. What about his wife and kid, could you check on them?

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: October 04, 2016, 07:14:55 pm »

Kol is alive. The wife and daughter are both on the FB death list. But surprisingly, Kol doesn't seem to be missing them. He's still listed as quite content, with no signs of mourning.

The reason I posted a death list instead of a survivors list was because I figured those dwarves needed to be memorialized somewhere. It's darned sure that I'll never get all of their bodies properly entombed, and I'm not going to bother with slabbing unless they arise as ghosts (which three of them already have, and it's been dealt with).
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 07:17:45 pm by luneya »

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: October 04, 2016, 07:24:32 pm »

From the diary of Captain Likot, Acting Overseer of Breadbowl:

15 Galena 249

My newly-appointed broker, Kadol Ableltoltot, came to me today asking if I had any information about the human caravan. It's already late summer, and we still haven't seen them. Unfortunately, I have no idea what is going on. Perhaps their civilization has been wiped out by the goblins. Or perhaps they simply heard about the late spring FB attack and early summer siege and figured that we were in no position to trade. Either way, there'll be no export this summer. But with the king being dead and all, there's nobody who'll be complaining about that, right?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: October 04, 2016, 07:28:50 pm »

Truly, no king? Who's next highest ruler on 'c'ivilization screen?

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: October 04, 2016, 08:15:24 pm »

The civ screen does show someone from outside of Breadbowl having become king; I guess that means that one of the civ's other forts is now mountainhome in our place? It also lists some dwarf as Duchess of Breadbowl who isn't even a member of our fortress. I really don't get it.

Anyway, in-character, my very common acting overseer wouldn't know anything about the succession until the caravan arrives. There certainly aren't any nobles over him here in Breadbowl.

As for the humans, they still exist, but seem to be much reduced. There are only three names mentioned on the human civ page, and two of them are goblins. The elves and dwarves are in better shape, so we certainly aren't cut off from trade entirely.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 08:25:22 pm by luneya »

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: October 04, 2016, 08:41:44 pm »

11 Limestone 249

Lookouts reported an approaching Dwarven caravan on the horizon. I immediately ordered food hauled to the depot, but given the current labor shortage, it's probably not going to be done in time. Especially considering that we haven't had the opportunity to cook much, so most of our food is in its slow-to-haul raw state. I still doubt that anyone really gives a damn if we export anything or not.

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: October 04, 2016, 08:51:42 pm »

17 Limestone 249

The merchant caravan entered the fortress, "unloaded" at the depot, and then immediately left! What the heck is going on here? It's only been a week--aren't they supposed to stay for a full month? Can they possibly be that offended by recent events in Breadbowl that they won't even take our stinking crops?

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: October 04, 2016, 09:14:22 pm »

My newly-appointed broker, Kadol Ableltoltot, came to me today asking if I had any information about the human caravan. It's already late summer, and we still haven't seen them.
The merchant caravan entered the fortress, "unloaded" at the depot, and then immediately left!

Welp.

You know what that means, right?

‘A mandate issued by Sibrek Logemtad, King has ended.’

Breadbowl is now on their own: until a valid authority is recognised and reinstates the ‘feed The Old Nets’ requirement feel free to do what you want. The arrangement has been falling apart for years anyway: what with clerical errors, dragons, and the King living here and eating as much as he wants whenever he wants, nobody’s really been paying attention to our production quotas.

I’m canonising this as why the human caravan didn’t arrive. News of the king’s death reached our couriers, and they’re waiting until a new agreement with whoever takes over can be reached.

Re: the Absentee Duchess of Breadbowl.

Interesting. Given that there’s no emigration in Dwarf Fortress, I have to assume she’s a descendant of Duke Gwolfski from his life before he helped found Breadbowl. Another thing to look up in legends, I guess.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: October 04, 2016, 09:30:48 pm »

Well shit, my dwarf's whole family is dead. The main reason he isn't going nuts is because I specifically picked him because he had the highest stress tolerance of any unclaimed dwarf. (I think, can you check that?)

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: October 04, 2016, 09:47:32 pm »

Well shit, my dwarf's whole family is dead. The main reason he isn't going nuts is because I specifically picked him because he had the highest stress tolerance of any unclaimed dwarf. (I think, can you check that?)

I have no idea how to check that, but here's his status report:

Note how it says "loneliness after being away from family." This suggests to me that your dwarf is so completely clueless that he doesn't even know what happened to half the fort and all of his family.

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: October 04, 2016, 10:02:56 pm »

20 Sandstone 249

A party of migrants arrived today. Between the high rate of death in Breadbowl and our recent treatment by the official representatives of the dwarven kingdom, this is quite surprising. The party consisted of an animal caretaker and a cheesemaker. They were rather frightened when I came to talk to them, and had no useful news to give. My guess is that they were exiled from some other fort for being useless; they should thank Armok that their previous overseer didn't have them "sacrificed" instead. In my role as guard captain, I'll have to keep an eye on these guys. Meanwhile, they can take some of the fortress' scut jobs. They certainly aren't useful in their designated professions.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #1213 on: October 04, 2016, 10:03:47 pm »

Holy body count. Hard to believe Taupe is dead; he was the greatest badass of Breadbowl.

I can't help but feel responsible; the fort started falling apart after my turn.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: October 04, 2016, 10:39:18 pm »

Holy bacheezus, I'm honored. Thanks, Luneya!
As for the fort, could you get the combat log for the FB? If you're using LNP, the story maker has this option to include the combat log in its output. Please?

Sorry if I sound needy, but my morbid curiosity has gotten to me.
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 105