Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 421605 times)

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Requesting Overseers
« Reply #1230 on: October 05, 2016, 04:04:09 pm »

The beast probably managed to die or leave the map by itself, as it's not on the unit screen list.

But the Murphy-problems continue. Remember that door I forbade to control flooding?

Yeah. Someone or something not only opened it, but wedged a rock there. More flooding. Was forced to seal off that whole section of the fortress--fortunately I had built a bypass route earlier. Also fortunately, only one dwarf was trapped in the flood zone: Asen Rakustrikkir, Orphan. It's only a matter of time before he dies. But as an orphan whose body will never be recovered, at least he isn't going to stress anybody.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: October 05, 2016, 04:14:54 pm »

I don't know what to say anymore. Holy hell.
First, 62 dwarves die from a FB. Then flooding. THEN, it's steamshell. And now an orphan stuck behind a door with a rock wedged into it? It really went downhill from the Great Fire. (Sorry, NCommander).
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: October 05, 2016, 04:25:44 pm »

Yep. And with that, we've reached the first of Obsidian. One month left. What more could possibly go wrong? (We all KNOW it's going to.)

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: October 05, 2016, 05:15:00 pm »

From the diary of Captain Likot, Acting Overseer of Breadbowl:

1 Granite 250

That's it, I'm done running this chicken-shit outfit. My resignation as overseer has been placed on the mayor's desk. He's no better-qualified as mayor than I was as overseer, but it's still his problem now, to either take over or find a new sucker.

Considering what a disaster the rest of the year has been, the month of Obsidian has been surprisingly peaceful. Some animals were born. Some died. No dwarves died. One of the war rhinos has reverted to semi-wild status, and can't be slaughtered because it's a pet (albeit of a dead dwarf). My successor might consider re-instituting animal training; where he'll find the labor for that, I neither know nor care.

Here's the final status data, so that we can look back on the past year-and-a-half and marvel at how much it sucked.

And the save file, for the truly masochistic:
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12484

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll just take this bottle of strong liquor and return to my sinecure of a guard captaincy.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: October 05, 2016, 05:31:57 pm »

Not bad trading report, all things considered.

Hm...Breadbowl has no engineers, huh.

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: October 05, 2016, 05:39:35 pm »

At least no professional engineers. I probably had the labor enabled on somebody. If not, the next overseer can activate it if needed.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: October 05, 2016, 05:54:05 pm »

Nicknaming all the orphans really adds atmosphere to the place. There are probably a bunch more now.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: October 05, 2016, 09:12:27 pm »

Holy body count. Hard to believe Taupe is dead; he was the greatest badass of Breadbowl.

I can't help but feel responsible; the fort started falling apart after my turn.
Oh shit, wut...? Nooooooo

Did I have a family or sons or whatever? Someone needs to take over my name and continue my legacy of bitch-slapping and badassery. If I don't have a son I'm even willing to *sigh* accept a daughter as rightful successor.

Also, wow... that peaceful paradise of micro-management and efficiency sure went to fucking shit in a matter of turns didn't it.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 09:16:30 pm by Taupe »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: October 05, 2016, 09:36:54 pm »

Maybe not take over the name
No dude, that's not how Breadbowl works. No mysterious identical cousins with the same name.
But the spirit of military *ker-slice*, sure.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: October 05, 2016, 09:53:02 pm »

Haven't taken a look at the save yet, but simply from this screenshot...

In our prime we had a population of 200. It's now down to 58. Nearly 3 quarters of our population are dead, and that's not even accounting for migrants.

The Noseless Winged Zebra...

... I'm imagining this beast is missing the entire front of it's face, replaced with a gaping maw lined with inward pointing teeth. Webbed corpses hang from it's belly and flanks, allowing it to carry it's gruesome larder with it wherever it may roam. Instead of front legs, it has two massive bat-like wings that fold up alongside it, and it walks upon the wrists...

... that thing. It utterly trashed our military, didn't it? We have 7 military dwarves still alive, one of whom is a marksdwarf (and thus useless). Only a single spearmaster to succeed Taupe as the artifact adamantine spear wielder, and no Macedwarves to wield Santume's artifact silver mace.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 09:57:22 pm by QuQuasar »

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: October 05, 2016, 10:30:46 pm »

That marksdwarf is actually assigned to a melee squad, and just hasn't developed enough skill to switch designations. But the next overseer can juggle military assignments as he sees fit; the carefully planned squads of the past have crumbled into a barely functional mess.

And turns? Heck, try months. I started out my tenure as an efficiency master, ruthlessly slaughtering beasts to try to recover precious fps. I ended up with monsters slaughtering everything, and a fortress that just plods on despite its legacy of dangerous design flaws.

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: October 05, 2016, 11:12:32 pm »

I just reloaded the save to check. Taupe was a bachelor; he'll need to find a successor to wield his mighty spear somewhere else.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: October 06, 2016, 11:31:10 am »

It would actually be believable for that lone spearmaster to take up Taupe's name with his spear.

I'm no longer burned out on DF, and my turn is coming up soon. I'll improve the military.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: October 06, 2016, 11:41:58 pm »

The reaper stalks the fields of Breadbowl, once again claiming her grim harvest, but where there is life there is hope and in spite of everything Breadbowl still has a lot of life. Admittedly most of it on four legs, but we’ll take what little hope we can get.

Excellent turn, Luneya. I’ve updated the main page with it, plus a few quotes.

PM sent: NCommander is up next. It remains to be seen whether he shall redeem the Farm of Hammers from the brink of extinction, or summon another dragon to finish us off once and for all. (fingers crossed!)

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: October 07, 2016, 12:07:20 am »

Honestly, if this was Elf Fortress instead (it would have a dorf mode, because, well, uh, posterity), we'd have 10 bags of microwave-able popcorn. Expiry dates accounted for, of course.
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 105