Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 424869 times)

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Requesting Overseers
« Reply #1275 on: October 13, 2016, 04:13:57 pm »

White and Purple cabachons for gem windows would probably look royalty.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: October 15, 2016, 01:20:43 pm »

First, open this song in another tab while you read this update.

Kol Copperweaver's Journal

Limestone

A vile force of darkness has arrived! We'll wait for the traps to soften them up, then charge! Close the gates!

There are hundreds. We few hold the gate only because the gap is so narrow. The chief medical dwarf just ran out there and died. Sodel fell, but he was carried away by a suicidally brave medic. Everything is a blur, chaos, blood spraying, limbs cracking, goblins screaming. But we stand, and we live.

The forgotten beast is in the fortress. The only opposition is one war tiger and a brave orphan. They are keeping the beast at bay for now, but who knows what the dust will do?

Next to fall was Sibrek. She grew too tired and was nearly ripped apart by trolls. But we pushed them back and another brave medic arried away her unconscious body.

The beast is angry now. Shem ducks and dodges, her blows chipping off chunks of vomit. The tiger collides with the wall, then regains its feet to continue the attack.

An endless back-and-forth. They push us back. We push them forward. We've started rotating who is in front in order to save our strength. How many more are left?

The tiger is too tired to rise. Shem's muscles burn, but she ignores the pain. The beast is on the ground, broken and beaten. But not dead...

Thunk falls to troll hands. His armor protects him until he is carried away, limbs flopping gruesomely.

Shem falls unconscious, unable to resist the poison any longer. The tiger keeps the beast away from her. The beast's dust throws the combatants up a flight of stairs, away from Shem.

Dishmab's arm is broken by a goblin mace. Strangely, our enemies leave her to lie in peace.

First the beast's foot is severed, then its trunk. Shem is coughing blood.

Pushing forward, we can see the army thinning. Techno's shield arm is broken by a troll, but she beheads the offender and continues to fight.

The beast is dead, its head ripped to shreds by the tiger's claws.

Oddom falls, his spine torn by a goblin arrow. He buys us some time as the trolls focus on him. Techno, Gordak, and myself are the only dwarves left standing. After what seems like ages, there are no more goblins. I claim the last kill, putting my spear through a bowgob's helmet.

The captain of the guard, the only dwarf with medical skills, is appointed the new chief medical dwarf. The hospitalized dwarves are treated. Shem is found dead, soaked in blood. So are two monitor lizard hatchlings. We may have a plague on our hands.

The tiger was also found dead in similar circumstances. A war rhino is found covered in dust, oozing blood. It isn't dying but DAMN is that a lot of blood. All over the nice fortress.

I combined both squads into one under Sibrek. We have only nine soldiers.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: October 15, 2016, 10:34:41 pm »

MetalHead183, how well did he do?
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.

Migrant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: October 16, 2016, 12:39:06 pm »

Perhaps diminishing the military was a mistake - it's not like the extra dwarf power made a difference.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: October 16, 2016, 01:31:47 pm »

MetalHead183, how well did he do?
He left to take a nap right before the battle started.

Perhaps diminishing the military was a mistake - it's not like the extra dwarf power made a difference.
What if the enemy hadn't run out when it did, then what? We had three fighting dwarves left. If we had more legendary warriors it wouldn't have been such a close call.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: October 17, 2016, 11:14:32 am »

*looks at YT*

[Black MIDI] Synthesia - Reach for the Moon ~ Immortal Smoke 5.5 Million ~ EpreTroll

I usually don't brother, but this time...I will.

Medics are heroes here, too.

Deadly dust? Seems medium-term, but... dangerous, I take it?

Bleeding.

Problematic.

9 soldiers, huh. Any of them good at teaching?

But...Perhaps one shouldn't fight them head on so intensively. Instead of swelling the military, one could swell the mechanics corps.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: October 17, 2016, 11:37:09 am »

Things probably would have worked out better if Thunk hadn't ran out past the traps. As for the soldiers, 8 are legendary and one is competent. I think I will disband all the civilian squads, since they have caused me nothing but problems, and draft everyone who knows one end of a weapon from the other.

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: October 17, 2016, 01:43:32 pm »

Might as well. The civilian militia structure has been a mess since well before my tenure running the fort. And my own actions didn't help; when that siege arrived after I'd lost half the fort to a FB, and I couldn't get the gates closed, I went into panic mode, throwing everyone in the fort into random squads, activating all of them and issuing orders to kill the siegers. And the once the siege ended I simply deactivated everything other than the true military squads.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: October 17, 2016, 01:45:33 pm »

And my dwarf went to take a nap for crying out loud for a stubbed toe infected with tetanus.That got dark pretty quickly.

PS: This stage of Breadbowl now feels like that part of Crimson Tide, where

Breadbowl hasn't had any mutinies yet, right?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 01:57:41 pm by HMetal2001 »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: October 17, 2016, 03:20:13 pm »

NCommander was the one who made the squads in the first place, and without any maintenance at all they've fallen to pieces. We've got to clear out the rubble before we can rebuild.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: October 17, 2016, 04:22:19 pm »

Was there really more than 3 full squads ever? 

I remember 2 melee that aren't full, and 1 range.

Then 2nd range for those that had some marksdwarf or discipline skills.

The rest were civilian squads so that the previous duke (Gwolfski) and mayor (Quasar) can wear armor and wield weapons.  So they were not really training, but rather an attempt to outfit the civilians some armor.

And I think at the time, there was a theory that it helps with stress management back when it was v42.06?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: October 17, 2016, 06:10:10 pm »

Kol Copperweaver's Journal

Sandstone

We heal. We repair. We clean up.

The siege got me thinking. What if there had been more goblins? If there had been just 30 or 40 more, they would have overwhelmed us three and gotten into the fortress. So I've begun some military reforms. All civilian squads are disbanded. All but three dwarves are removed from the fortress guard. Techno has been promoted to militia captain of the trainee squad, which consists of every dwarf who knows one end of a weapon from the other. Which, even after disbanding the fortress guard, is only six dwarves, a brutal reminder that we have less than 60 dwarves living here.

We're so fucked.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: October 17, 2016, 10:32:18 pm »

And I think at the time, there was a theory that it helps with stress management back when it was v42.06?

Isn't it still 42.06?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: October 17, 2016, 10:38:22 pm »

Oh, I meant 40.24.  This was before the new emotions changes.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: October 18, 2016, 02:37:11 am »

Thunk falls to troll hands. His armor protects him until he is carried away, limbs flopping gruesomely.
Things probably would have worked out better if Thunk hadn't ran out past the traps.
"Thunk has no time for overseers strategic considerations! Thunk will evicerate puny goblins who oppose Thunks mighty axe! Thunk fights for glory, victory, and fine dwarven cuisine! Thunk chaaaaaarge!"

[30 seconds later]

"Thunk regrets Thunk's life choices!" [Splurk!]

Is Thunk dead, by the way? Your wording is ambiguous and gives me hope Thunk was merely injured. I like saying Thunk and will take any excuse to say Thunk, which is why I hope Thunk is still alive. Thunk.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 02:40:25 am by QuQuasar »
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 105