Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 424915 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Requesting Overseers
« Reply #1290 on: October 18, 2016, 12:33:36 pm »

The only soldier to die was the non-forumite who took an arrow to the spine. We've got some fucking brave and quick EMTs in this fort. I wrote it like that because almost every single one of Thunk's joints was broken by the time he was rescued. Trolls seem to like doing that.

Kol Copperweaver's Journal

Timber

Nothing happened this month. Nothing ever happens during Timber, it's like a law of nature. A bunch of kids grew up, though.

EDIT: I just realized something. I am the only person to ever take more than one turn at Breadbowl. Same with Kol, by extension. Kol is also the only surviving overseer. I've got some serious weight in this fort.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2016, 12:42:35 pm by TheFlame52 »

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: October 18, 2016, 01:16:52 pm »

Yeah, you're the first who wanted seconds of that Breadbowl.  I'd do it if it was served with clam chowder. 

Did NComander passed on seconds first, just like Taupe passed on first?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: October 18, 2016, 09:14:40 pm »

Moonstone

Thunk, the worst wounded, is up and about again. He insisted on coming to training despite have no operating limbs. He got here by inchworming all the way from the hospital by himself. What a legend.

We've caught several exotic animals. We now have breeding pairs of giraffes, gray langurs, and bugbats.

I just noticed we have almost 14 thousand drinks. So that's where all the pots are going.

And finally, MEAD! I forgot to mention, I discovered there were too many hives. I halved the number of hives and made some kid a beekeeper and now we're producing!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 08:34:55 pm by TheFlame52 »

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: October 18, 2016, 10:03:51 pm »

Thunk, the worst wounded, is up and about again. He insisted on coming to training despite have no operating limbs. He got here by inchworming all the way from the hospital by himself. What a legend.
"Thunk has no time for useless crippled limbs! Thunk too mighty to be slowed by near-fatal injuries! Thunk will kill Breadbowl's enemies with Thunk's powerful torso alone!"

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: October 18, 2016, 10:24:38 pm »

The only soldier to die was the non-forumite who took an arrow to the spine. We've got some fucking brave and quick EMTs in this fort. I wrote it like that because almost every single one of Thunk's joints was broken by the time he was rescued. Trolls seem to like doing that.

Timber

Nothing happened this month. Nothing ever happens during Timber, it's like a law of nature. A bunch of kids grew up, though.

EDIT: I just realized something. I am the only person to ever take more than one turn at Breadbowl. Same with Kol, by extension. Kol is also the only surviving overseer. I've got some serious weight in this fort.

What's an EMT?
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: October 18, 2016, 10:55:19 pm »

What's an EMT?

Emergency Medical Technicians probably.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: October 19, 2016, 10:27:44 am »

It's the dudes what sit in an ambulance.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: October 19, 2016, 10:04:04 pm »

Opal

Thunk is finally on his feet again. He healed enough that he can hold a crutch, but he still can't hold a weapon. Training the new recruits is going well. We've got food and drink to last us for years. We'll be fine as long as nothing attacks us. Fat chance of that though.

Obsidian

And with that, my year comes to a close. I hope the next overseer is as competent as me.

SAVE: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12514

Things to do:
 - Get a legendary armorsmith and make some good steel armor. All we've got is iron.
 - Keep making steel. You can never have too much.
 - Slab that ghost that just showed up.
 - Don't take the recruits into battle until they're legendary.
 - Give the dwarven caravan some massive trades. I hear that attracts migrants.
 - Breed some war animals, but don't put them in danger until you have enough to actually pose a threat to the enemy.
 - DON'T KILL ANYONE.

luneya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: October 19, 2016, 11:31:58 pm »

I don't think we'll ever get any significant migrant waves again, no matter how much we export. Even if the new overseer decides to cheat and apply the dfhack migrants-now command, that only triggers the test-for-migrants condition; if the fortress is a bad enough death trap, the dwarves will say "hell, no" and the overseer will get nothing but the "No migrants arrived this season" message. I'm pretty sure that Breadbowl has gotten bad enough that there's a significant risk of that fate. If we do get migrants, they'll be coming in pairs or the like, not in real migration waves.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: October 20, 2016, 12:11:34 am »

The fort was started in 40.24. I wonder if that means the new zones attract no visitors, since none were procedurally generated? Never toyed with upgrading.

Otherwise, that and childbirth might indeed beat migration.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: October 20, 2016, 12:49:39 am »

Okay then. Imic is up next.

It really does look like Breadbowl is entering its final decline.  Our founders are dead, our King lost, and three quarters of our population rest in their graves (or the refuse pile). It’s unlikely we will ever see Breadbowl rise to rival its former power again.  We’ve even given up recording trade quantities: truly this is an age of despair and darkness.  It’s hard to tell if the dwarves of Breadbowl are holding onto the faintest glimmers of hope, or just prolonging the inevitable.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: October 20, 2016, 03:23:31 am »

Ogh gods, I did not realise it was my turn. Take me off, my emails are not working properly right now, and my computer is banjaxed for a while still. Should be better soon.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Migrant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: October 20, 2016, 05:32:11 pm »

It really does look like Breadbowl is entering its final decline.  Our founders are dead, our King lost, and three quarters of our population rest in their graves (or the refuse pile). It’s unlikely we will ever see Breadbowl rise to rival its former power again.  We’ve even given up recording trade quantities: truly this is an age of despair and darkness.  It’s hard to tell if the dwarves of Breadbowl are holding onto the faintest glimmers of hope, or just prolonging the inevitable.

Also we're out of overseers. The situation is desperate on both sides off the 4th wall.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: October 20, 2016, 05:46:55 pm »

I'm not doing a third turn so soon. I won't go until at least two other people have gone, to ensure all my plans are properly ruined.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: October 20, 2016, 06:39:14 pm »

Okay, we are out of overseers and the road forks ahead. What path do you choose?

a) Continue.

The dwarves of The Old Nets still need us. We'll need to run DFHack's clear deceased list command to ensure future migrants, re-dwarf ourselves (given that just about every one of our original dwarves are dead, I'll forgo the "come up with a new name" rule) and then make a concerted effort to regain and surpass our former glory.

And by glory I mean trade quantities. I'm going to have to insist we start recording those properly again if we choose to continue.

b) End.

Give Breadbowl a proper final episode: arm and armour every dwarf and then see if DFHack can summon all of Breadbowl's enemies at once so we can end things in a final glorious battle rather than dying a slow, painful death by attrition.

I could go either way: I guess it all depends on whether we genuinely think Breadbowl can recover, or if we'd just be drawing things out and prolonging the inevitable.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 105