Poll

Yes. It is
- 0 (0%)
Nope
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 08, 2015, 10:25:56 pm

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 105

Author Topic: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - Breadbowl Ends  (Read 425396 times)

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
Re: Breadbowl: a Succession Farm [42.06] - THUNK DEMANDS NEW OVERSEERS!
« Reply #1485 on: June 07, 2017, 04:54:34 am »

Is the Metalhead still alive?
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: June 07, 2017, 05:18:05 am »

HAPPY 100TH PAGE BREADBOWL....

Oh what the heck sign me back up
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: June 07, 2017, 05:27:37 am »

Tells you alot about a succession fort when the first thing people ask you is whether their dwarf survived the turn. Metalhead's doing alright, Broseph's year was relatively peaceful. It seems that our siege numbers are dwindling these days - no more large, 100+ goblin sieges. Feels like a good time to end.

Sup Ryukan, welcome back! Now all we need is Quasar and we can make this a party. Special requests for a dorf, or random roll?

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: June 07, 2017, 05:46:06 am »

does double take

Bearskie? Wow, havent seen you since Constructivory

remembers it was his turn that killed the fort

Oooh, sorry m8 😇
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: June 07, 2017, 08:49:12 am »

Alrighty, please dwarf me as Lor Fenceallies.
New name: Beor

((Now taking bets on how long I live! Now taking bets!))
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: June 07, 2017, 11:50:54 am »

I my re-dorf is named Dirk, a miner.  Is he still alive?

I want a dorf who will train as a knife fighter, if we have any large dagger around. 

If not, I'll settle for any foreign weapon like a whip, scourge, morningstar, flail.

I don't think dorfs can handle maul, pike, halberds, or long swords.

HMetal2001

• Bay Watcher
  • WipEout - CONTENDER ELIMINATED
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: June 12, 2017, 08:20:56 am »

MetalHead183 walks to his room with a fine combat log of the 14th year of Breadbowl with an oil lamp in hand

"I need to get this off. What happened that day? The day that web-spinning zebra came to kill our people. The day I finally got to do something. I don't know, but those notes there can tell."

Page 1
-One axe lord and Sanctume accidentally strike at one another, or they were sparring with their artifact weapons. Their attacks on the beast were deflected and blocked.

-FB topples 3 mechanics' workshops.

-FB decapitates an engraver. And then shoots out webs.

-Kol's wife, Litast, a leatherworker, actually had an iron battle axe. The FB grabs her and yanks her into its webs. And then breaks her ankle. Later, it kicks her in the head, and she skids across the ground and slams into an obstacle.

-FB toys with a brewer, then kicks him/her in the head, opening an artery. The brewer, propelled by the blow, slams into a diagnoser. Another artery is opened. The diagnoser then skids on the surface and slams into an obstacle.

-FB shoots out webbing, grabs a cook, and kicks him/her in the head, with the head exploding into gore. Then, propelled by the force of the blow, the cook slams into an obstacle.

Page 2
-More webbing. A mason dies.

-More webbing. A leatherworker dies.

-More webbing. Brewer dead. Diagnoser dead.

-More webbing. Cook dead.

-More webbing. A furnace operator bites the FB, tearing the fat, and latches on firmly. FB kicks him, bruising muscle and left lung. FB breaks the grip of the furnace operator. Grabs a miner. Releases the miner. Shoots more webs. Furnace operator caught in webs. Head smashed into a pulp.

Page 3
-Multiple webbings later (in the midst of two axe lords sparring, I guess), the Queen Consort is grabbed by the FB by the ear, tongue, and kicks her in the head, propelling her away, and trapping her in webs before her death.

Page 4
-FB strikes hammerer (probably Imic), and turns his head into a lump of gore.

-FB kicks a cook's head into gore.

-Glassmaker dead.

-Cook and Miner-Buttmonkey dead.

-Brewer dead.

Page 5

"AHH FUCK IT I CAN'T READ THIS ANYMORE!"

"Calm the fuck down. Only you're reading this, MetalHead. Only your sorry ass is reading this."

Journal of MetalHead183, militia captain

I remember now. I remember. I remember Kol. I remember that damn woodcutter with that steel battle axe.Who was it? Rovod? I remember the three of us taking down that monster.

So she started hacking away. Then Kol came in. Then I came along, to hack away. Kol kept on stabbing with his fancy artifact spear, and she kept on hacking. Then that beast shoots more webs. We're all caught in it, with a kid, whose sleep was disturbed. Rovod got out and hacked away, tearing the skin. Then I got out and sliced a hoof, and hacked its neck. Its head then flies away as though I threw a pebble into the grass. Just like that.

Well, 62 citizens of Breadbowl died that day, but there's no need to feel vengeful now. We're still here, after all. Eh, now I need to go back to spar with Kol.

OOC:
I was meaning to post this a looooooooooooonnnnggggggg time ago. As an annotated combat log, but I thought it'd be better to see things in MetalHead's eyes.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 12:19:00 pm by HMetal2001 »
The giant louse is on the loose and some loser dwarf has blood to lose.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: June 12, 2017, 02:24:30 pm »

Actually Kol's wife was already dead. He and Big Sibrek were bumping uglies. It's cool that I helped kill a terrible forgotten beast though. Is Big Sibrek okay?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: June 14, 2017, 01:56:38 pm »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: June 14, 2017, 01:58:20 pm »

I got no clue what I'm looking at....
Composite view from above? As in, taking each z-level into account moving downwards?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: June 16, 2017, 11:06:21 am »

1: Responsibilities

Murphy dragged me up the king’s tower, a garish monstrosity peeking out from behind the storeroom quarters like a lecherous lover. Gold and silver furniture adorned its insides – heavy, shiny, and ridiculously extravagant. Never say Sibrek wasn’t a proper old king. A prick and an arse, but definitely a real king, at least up until the point he fucking died when a forgotten beast caved his skull in. The floor told us who was in charge of Breadbowl now, and she was standing right in front of us.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"You’re late, both of you. Terribly inefficient use of time if you ask me. We might as well get this done with quickly, so take a seat. I’m sure you’re interested to know why I called you here."

Over a dozen potential reasons why, all not good. There was the incident with the exploding booze last week for starters. No idea how that happened. Then there was the accidental spiking of the bird feed with gutter creor. Admittedly might have had a hand in that. What else? The wall? Nonono, it was impossible she could know about that…

"The past year has been a tremendously productive year for Breadbowl, spearheaded by my guidance through various initiatives, and we have far surpassed many of our initial production goals..."

God, she was going for the whole propaganda intro. I looked around to see if there were any windows I could throw myself out, but they were all locked.

"...All this while the citizens of Breadbowl live safer, plentiful and beautiful lives. Thus, it pains me even more to say this. After much internal deliberation on my part, I have decided to relinquish my position as Overseer of Breadbowl."

Spoiler: Hmm, I wonder why? (click to show/hide)

I choked. Okay, didn’t see that one coming. After the old hag took over last year and declared herself Czar-for-life, I didn't expect her to give up the reins that soon. Perhaps running this place was crazier than it seems. By the looks of it, Murphy was surprised as well.

"Of course, being the Czar Eternal, I still reserve foremost authority in all of Breadbowl’s affairs," she hastily added. Sure thing, lady. "Merely that I believe that it is healthy for the Overseership of this settlement to fall onto fresh eyes, indeed those with more unique perspectives compared to I..."

"Fucking finally," I growled.

"Shut up Ahab," she snapped. "Murphy, I’m tasking you with the day-to-day management of Breadbowl. You've already been mayor for a while, haven't you? I trust that you will make great strides in advancing our cause, for the betterment of the Old Nets."

If Murphy was surprised before, now she was positively shell-shocked. I, on the other hand, couldn’t even begin to sputter at the ridiculousness of it all.

"You’re putting a fourteen-year-old in charge?!"

"Mayor Murphy has proven herself to be widely qualified in all aspects regarding the Overseer position…"

"That’s not a high bar isn’t it. Even Thunk became Overseer."

"And he proceeded to save Breadbowl, many times if I can recall. What’s your point, Ahab?"

"My point is that I’ve got loincloths older than her!"

"Need I remind you that said loincloths were up until recently worn by a certain drunk dwarf as he danced topless across the outer walls, singing lewd songs about hamsters and elderberries." Aha, so she did know. Thoroughly defeated, my hands assumed a submissive gesture. "As for you, I didn’t bring you here to debate the merits of Murphy’s promotion. Here," I was handed a combat report, the ink still fresh on its pages. "Read this. There was a goblin attack an hour ago."

My interest perked, I flipped through the red-yellow pages, complete with crude renditions of the scene.

COMBAT LOG #11473

Hour 2315: Unidentified figures sighted along the southern perimeter.
Hour 2318: Unids confirmed as hostile contacts – one goblins and three elves, armed.
Hour 2325: Primary squad the Shafts, led by Big Sibrek are dispatched as first respondents.
Hour 2326: Trainees squad is mobilized, high on alert for further contacts.
Hour 2330: Senior officer and Former Overseer Thunk makes first contact by, quote eyewitness account, charging at hostiles roaring "THUNK WILL DEFEND BREADBOWL! THUNK CHARGE AT BAD GOBLINS! THUNK SMAAAASSHHHH!"
Hour 2331: Hostile forces flee without combat. Two elves divert further indoors, and are caught by cage traps. Remaining hostiles escape south past the southern bridge, with Thunk in pursuit.
Hour 2335: Pursuit is unsuccessful. Goblin hostiles escape.
Hour 2336: "THUNK WILL DESTROOOYYYY YOOOOUUUU!"

"Small raiding party, unknown motives, two caged prisoners." I couldn’t help but grumble. "Gee I wonder why I was summoned..."

Czar Kadol appeared irritated. "Enough with the insolence, Ahab. I’m sure you understand the need for this. The captured elves are under Captain Likot’s supervision; you two are to work together for the interrogation. Now catch."

Something shiny came flying my way; I didn’t bother to catch. The tin badge landed and clattered noisily around my feet.

"Consider yourself reinstated, Hammerer."

« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 02:56:31 am by Bearskie »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: June 16, 2017, 11:11:55 am »

I've seen this in other old forts. They're down to the dregs. Soon sieges will be nothing but a single recruit and a few dozen trolls. Could someone look at the save in Legends Viewer and see what the goblins' population is?

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: June 16, 2017, 11:26:23 am »

All the sieges so far have been staged from Icecoastal, a nearby elven settlement that has been conquered by the Hells of Emancipating. As of now, their population is:

However, I've learned not to trust population numbers in Legends, since alot of post-worldgen is conducted with proxy numbers. If you pull up an older Breadbowl save, you'll see that Icecoastal's numbers are higher, but not significantly so (200 elves and leopards approx). What irks me though is the mechanic where we can only receive sieges from the nearest goblin settlement, instead of the entirety of the civilization, whom we are apparently at total war with.

I mean, just look at the numbers they have at their home base. If they wanted to, they could wipe us out like a speck.

It feels like the days of giant sieges in Breadbowl are gone. I might just choose to dig deep and end it with a blaze.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: June 16, 2017, 11:37:10 am »

The solution is to retire the fort, go clean them out with an adventurer, and get sieges from the big population of goblins.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: June 16, 2017, 11:38:21 am »

Huh. In Bastiongate, which admittedly ran much longer, I managed to reduce the nearby goblin civilization down to just a dozen goblins, their demon, and a few thousand trolls. Maybe that bug wasn't around in 0.40?
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 105