Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: Magical girl test. Recruiting, look here now.  (Read 16905 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magical girl test. Recruiting, look here now.
« Reply #180 on: August 31, 2015, 10:01:20 pm »

Let me also add, dump 40 essence into my max reaction roll.

One more question. In order to actually launch my levitating spike, do I have to roll magical girl qualities again?

EDIT: And if I do, does the 23 essence I have from summoning my spike earlier in the turn also count to the spell that launches it?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 10:09:45 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 01, 2015, 12:31:32 am »

Where am I? Am I just witnessing heydude and Rudulos get nommed?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 01, 2015, 08:15:45 am »

Be useless, I guess?  Dooooooooooodge?

Spoiler: Sarina (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 04:04:56 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #183 on: September 01, 2015, 09:11:16 am »

Where am I? Am I just witnessing heydude and Rudulos get nommed?
Pretty much. You just said "Follow" while rudulos and Heydude decided to charge into combat on their own. So this round of combat will be just them. Then next round, you can all attack at once.

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 01, 2015, 04:03:27 pm »

In the future, it would probably be better to coordinate your attacks a bit better.

((Oh come on, now. You of all people should know that keeping a group of PCs together is more difficult than herding cats. Now is the time to throw caution to the wind anyway, when there aren't any real consequences to acting like an idiot and dying horribly.

Besides, we need a few horrid deaths right at the start of the series to establish the tone properly!))

And this guy go charge those shadows. No use of essence for the inevitable initiative check.

((Given my low Speed stats I was simply figuring that it would be a waste of essence. If I let the Yami bleed essence out for my magic then that's time I'm attacking them instead of maiming myself.

Those initiative rolls are a bit worrisome, though. I'd guess that their Speed is at 30 or so; doesn't bode well if all of them have stats like that. Props for the design; I like them already.))

"Hey, you! Can you summon some vines and wrap the charging ones up in a nice bundle for me? I have an idea"

((Currently, we're getting a split-second chance to react while they're in mid-attack. Doubt I have the time to injure myself and cast a spell before they hit us.))

"Bah! The tactics of a coward!"

Dump seventeen essence into min Dex Resilience, thirteen essence into Dex, and fifteen essence into Strength. Tank the attacks and strike the first Spite with my sword.

"You pathetic curs! You prey on the weak because you cannot face true power!"

Spoiler: Status Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 04:12:07 pm by Ruludos »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 01, 2015, 04:08:54 pm »

If you want to tank attacks, try dumping into resilience. I feel that partial success on resilience rolls are more valuable than on dex roles in this situation.

With Dex, it's either get bitten or not get bitten while with resilience it's a range between horribly maimed to just having a baby teething you. Although a fifteen in resilience might not make a big enough difference.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 01, 2015, 04:12:58 pm »

((The Dex was more for my counterattack, but I just realized that I have no idea how effective Resilience actually is. I'll dump some essence into it and see where the rolls leave me.))

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 02, 2015, 04:44:55 am »

Club the metal dog nearest to me. The great thing about longswords is that you can beat people up with the pommel and hand guards. :D
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 02, 2015, 07:33:06 am »

((I don't mean to be rude, but is anyone actually reading the updates? piecewise just finished telling heydude and me off because we ran off on our own. You're nowhere near us, Andres.))

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 02, 2015, 07:54:53 am »

((I don't mean to be rude, but is anyone actually reading the updates? piecewise just finished telling heydude and me off because we ran off on our own. You're nowhere near us, Andres.))
I wasn't understanding what was going on and I missed Piecewise's last post. I've seen it now, so thanks for alerting me to that.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 02, 2015, 09:01:54 am »

To clarify, where is team Lurker now?
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #191 on: September 04, 2015, 10:49:30 am »

To clarify, where is team Lurker now?
Rudulos and Heydude are fighting doggies.

The rest of you just kinda "Followed" I assume you're not moving as quickly as those two who ran in at full speed. Probably a good distance back.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #192 on: September 04, 2015, 07:06:29 pm »

What type of magical category is required to enchant my shard to explode into deadly Shrapnel once it penetrates deep enough inside a target.

As in: I hit, it penetrates through, then explodes before it can completely exit through the other side therefore giving wounds equivalent to that of a Yami that swallowing an HE grenade?

"Hey, you! Can you summon some vines and wrap the charging ones up in a nice bundle for me? I have an idea"

Dump 10 essence into maximum dexterity.

Then if he does wrap them in vines,
Launch my spike so it penetrates both dogs that are wrapped together tightly. This should be easy to do since they're wrapped together.

If he doesn't wrap them in vines (maybe he rolled poorly).
Position myself in a way that will allow me to launch my spike so it penetrates one of the charging dogs and then hits the ensnaring one. Then launch the spike

If I can't position myself, just launch the spike at one of the charging dogs, still keep essence in dexterity. What stat is used in dodging by the way? The rules only says that dexterity effects accuracy.

Spoiler: stat sheet (click to show/hide)
Let me also add, dump 40 essence into my max reaction roll.

One more question. In order to actually launch my levitating spike, do I have to roll magical girl qualities again?

EDIT: And if I do, does the 23 essence I have from summoning my spike earlier in the turn also count to the spell that launches it?

In the future, it would probably be better to coordinate your attacks a bit better.

((Oh come on, now. You of all people should know that keeping a group of PCs together is more difficult than herding cats. Now is the time to throw caution to the wind anyway, when there aren't any real consequences to acting like an idiot and dying horribly.

Besides, we need a few horrid deaths right at the start of the series to establish the tone properly!))

And this guy go charge those shadows. No use of essence for the inevitable initiative check.

((Given my low Speed stats I was simply figuring that it would be a waste of essence. If I let the Yami bleed essence out for my magic then that's time I'm attacking them instead of maiming myself.

Those initiative rolls are a bit worrisome, though. I'd guess that their Speed is at 30 or so; doesn't bode well if all of them have stats like that. Props for the design; I like them already.))

((Currently, we're getting a split-second chance to react while they're in mid-attack. Doubt I have the time to injure myself and cast a spell before they hit us.))

"Bah! The tactics of a coward!"

Dump seventeen essence into min Dex Resilience, thirteen essence into Dex, and fifteen essence into Strength. Tank the attacks and strike the first Spite with my sword.

"You pathetic curs! You prey on the weak because you cannot face true power!"

Spoiler: Status Sheet (click to show/hide)
Sorry about the lack of action recently, busy busy busy and this game takes a bit to update because it's more mechanically complex then the others.

Alright So Heydude is dumping 40 into max reaction, trying to get a chance to react before the attack hits him. We'll assume Spite 1 is attacking him physically and spite 3's magic is attacking both of them. That means he'll have to get better than 13 and 20 respectively. He rolls a...40. So he reacts with plenty of time. However his first action is highly dependent upon the action of Rudulos, who is deciding not to try and do it. For future reference Rud, you could have done it, but you would have had to roll a very good reaction time. Lopping off a limb doesn't take more then a second, but the whole process of injury to magic spell might take a big longer.  In any case, lets do the second action.

Oh and Speed is what you use to dodge. At least, if you're just throwing yourself out of the way. If you were like, dodging lots of things at once in a very showoffy acrobatic way, you'd mix in some dex.

So the second action involves quickly moving to the side and shooting. Well, you  buffed speed to begin with so you should be able to do the movement part. [28]  Yep. Now the aim. Lets see, thats not a hard shot; you're up close and they're coming towards you. [6] Thats not a great shot. You'll hit the one in front solidly, but the other one you're only gonna get a shallow hit on. We'll do a quick roll here to see you manage to dodge the incoming wire as well. [18] Yeah, you're good there. Oh and yeah, your spell basically called for a projectile you could choose when fired, so the energy to fire it is already in the spell. Sort of like a cross bow; the power to fire the bolt is already there, just waiting to be unleashed.

Now for Rudulos.

Now Rudulos is doing something different. He's gonna try and tank it rather than dodge it, which should be pretty fun. Now, lets see. He's dumping 17 into Res, for a total of 30. Lets roll that. [7]

oooh, that is a shame. It helps a bit, but not in any major way. However, head crushed or not, you can still manage to hit with your sword. Well, maybe. Lets roll for those strands of barbed wire. [1]. Hmm nope. So those spikes are now stabbing into your flesh and trying to hold you still or tear you apart, but you can still overpower them. These guys aren't that strong. Lets roll strength and hope your essence is enough to tear your arm free and cleave this mofo. 20 total. Thats not a whole long of wiggle room, but it's possible. [13] Thats the limit of human capacity and I think it's within human capacity to rip through their own flesh to free themselves. Ok. The strength for the blow is...11, not great but still pretty good. The dex is 16, more then enough to hit something that is literally clinging to your head. Ok so you lose...thats gonna be lets say 130 essence spilled from you having your head crunched and then getting skewered by spikes.

Heydude's body crackles with energy for an instant as essence spills out through his muscles. He moves to the side in a blur, lining up the crystal above his head on the creature leaping towards him and on the one behind it. A ring of blue light appears at the crystal's base  and then explodes outward as the crystal rockets forward. It punches straight through the leaping creature, embedding itself in its chest and hurling it backwards. It collides with the howling creature and the spike punctures into it as well. They both go skidding back and slam into an escalator, bouncing up several steps.

Rudulos is less lucky. The wire which the third creature summoned catch him like fishing hooks, piercing the flesh of his arms, legs, chest and back. They tighten, wrapping around display tables and furniture, moving independently of the body they sprung from. They hold Rudulos in place like a spider's web. The first barbed wire wolf lands on him, front paws close around his shoulders and the giant bear trap jaw opens 180 degrees before snapping shut on Rud's head. His skull crunches in like a walnut in a vice grip and blood and organic matter flows out in a torrent.

Rud's right arm jerks, straining against the wire holding it. The wire slides down the flesh, tearing away and degloving the skin and muscle around the arm, but the limb rips free. It brings it's sword in with a hard stab, punging the blade hilt deep into the creature's ribs, skewering it completely through. The creature thrashes but doesn't let go of Rud's pulped head.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 04, 2015, 08:59:45 pm »

"Guys where are you? Me and Ruby (that is my nickname for Rudolos) over here can't take on these guys on our own. Anyway when you come, help Ruby. I have some business to finish"

Before I post my action, can I ask a few questions? How many turns do stat boosts last? How much essence would be required to create an explosion as powerful as two sticks of dynamite? Do I need good awareness to see a Yami core dangling before my eyes? How about if it's only slightly exposed? How do I tell if a Yami is dead? Is their skin as tough as actual metal?

That's all.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 04, 2015, 09:41:43 pm »

Come on come on come on, get there quick!
10 Essence to min speed, 5 to max Dex, 11 to min, get to Rudulos and slice that thing's head off aaaactually that might be a bit dangerous considering he wants to make a crystal explosion, instead, head for those two creatures that were bumping up the escalator, no initiative essence.

Am I gonna have to roll initiative for that?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 09:56:23 pm by Execute/Dumbo.exe »
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15