Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: Magical girl test. Recruiting, look here now.  (Read 16477 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Magical girl test. Don't look here.
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2015, 01:14:04 am »

So why can't Stabby add Essence to his Speed to get a better initiative? Why can't Clubber? Clubber is capable of boosting his Speed to astronomical levels every turn but apparently he will always be on the defensive no matter what.

Also, the system you have would make it take a very long time for a full combat phase to end. Let's see what the posts would be here...

Stabby: I engage combat with Clubber.
*wait for GM to post*
GM: Stabby engages combat with Clubber. Stabby rolls 15 and Clubber rolls 5 for initiative.
*wait for Stabby*
Stabby: I pump 30 Essence into Strength and throw a throwing knife at Clubber.
*wait for GM to post*
GM: Stabby rolls 11 for Dex and 34 for Strength.
*wait for Clubber*
Clubber: I pump 25 Essence into Speed.
*wait for GM*
GM: Clubber rolls 17 and is capable of dodging the knife.
*wait for Clubber*
Clubber: I decide to dodge the knife.
*wait for GM*
GM: Clubber rolls a 24. The knife hits him and does Minor Damage. Clubber loses 7 Essence.
*end combat round 1*

There were a total of 7 times where the game was being held up because everyone had to wait for Clubber/Stabby/GM to post. Every single one of those times could've taken hours. This is compounded by the fact that players could be in a different time zone to other players of the GM. Again, this is just a single 5-second round of combat between two players and depending on time zones, it can take several days to complete. Getting a full combat phase with multiple rounds and especially if more than two players are involved is impossible. You're going to have to streamline the combat system.
He can?
He can too?
No he won't?

Honestly Andres I don't know what you're talking about; why would clubber always be on the defensive? He could have easily just put essence into speed for his initiative and gone first. They just didn't do it in this particular example.

And no, you have to remember that PVP isn't what this system is for. It's pve. So in practice

1.Enter combat, roll initiative for everyone, post listing of initiative numbers and order. Do any actions for NPCs above players in the order.
2. Players post their actions. First player would probably post first but because they're fighting NPC's they could post in any order. They have the charts, they don't need to wait for me to do anything.
3. play out the turn with the posted actions.
4. Start over.

The reason PVP would take so long is that I'd have to wait on individuals to respond back to replies from other individuals.

((Just an odd thought: since the Yami can basically shrug off any attack aside from one that impacts their core and can attack without limit, whilst the Magical Girls will end up destroying themselves if they continuously attack without hitting due to essence expenditure, does this mean this is sort of like a reverse bullet hell? :P))
Yami can't so much "shrug off" the attacks as much as they can regenerate from them. You cut one into pieces and it will still take a while to reform.

But yeah, sort of.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2015, 01:18:18 am »

No, no, that's good.
Wait, actually, I do have a question, say I wanted to use my wind affinity to send myself rocketing into my enemy, would that be purity or courage?
Also, fun fact Andres, if I just ran at you and got about a 13, I would reach you in about 14.35 seconds, that's Usain Bolt speeds.
In any case, let's go charge (5 essence to max speed roll and 10 to min) at full speed, looking to impale her.
Edit: Well, this is PvP, while most of the game would be against GM controlled enemies, though that's still a bunch of actions.
In that case, courage, because you're using it offensively.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2015, 01:25:49 am »

Honestly Andres I don't know what you're talking about; why would clubber always be on the defensive? He could have easily just put essence into speed for his initiative and gone first. They just didn't do it in this particular example.
This puts things into perspective. I thought because of this:
Oh good, you're both here. First I'm gonna have to roll speed to see which one of you actually goes first...And Dumbo actually goes first.

Remember, I roll speed in the beginning for initiative. It's unconnected to the speed rolls for actually performing actions, though you can dump essence into it.
...that initiative is something only determined by a base Speed stat and a roll while Essence-boosted Speed is only for actual combat. I misinterpreted. But still, does that mean that you need to boost your Speed twice with Essence (once for initiative and once for combat)? Would any boosts you used to get initiative remain in combat?

And no, you have to remember that PVP isn't what this system is for. It's pve.
Ok, I guess it could work so long as none of the players got into a fight with one-another. Now that I'm here, is there any reason one magical girl would fight another?

1.Enter combat, roll initiative for everyone, post listing of initiative numbers and order. Do any actions for NPCs above players in the order.
2. Players post their actions. First player would probably post first but because they're fighting NPC's they could post in any order. They have the charts, they don't need to wait for me to do anything.
4. Start over.
Wait, you roll intiative just like that? You forgot to give people a chance to boost their Speed and get better initiative.

No, no, that's good.
Wait, actually, I do have a question, say I wanted to use my wind affinity to send myself rocketing into my enemy, would that be purity or courage?
Also, fun fact Andres, if I just ran at you and got about a 13, I would reach you in about 14.35 seconds, that's Usain Bolt speeds.
In any case, let's go charge (5 essence to max speed roll and 10 to min) at full speed, looking to impale her.
Edit: Well, this is PvP, while most of the game would be against GM controlled enemies, though that's still a bunch of actions.
So if I wanted to flash step behind someone and slash them, it would be Courage? What if I wanted to flash step from one building to another? If I had 200 Courage and 0 Purity, I'm guessing I could probably do the former but I'd be unable to do the latter.

Ok, so Dumbo's submitted his actions. What do I need to do now?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 01:34:56 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2015, 01:34:42 am »

I'm pretty sure purity is for things that are utility related.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2015, 06:39:19 am »

Speaking of magical qualities, if a magical girl has 0 Innocence, does that mean she's some kind of depraved pervert?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2015, 11:19:31 am »

This puts things into perspective. I thought because of this:
Oh good, you're both here. First I'm gonna have to roll speed to see which one of you actually goes first...And Dumbo actually goes first.

Remember, I roll speed in the beginning for initiative. It's unconnected to the speed rolls for actually performing actions, though you can dump essence into it.
...that initiative is something only determined by a base Speed stat and a roll while Essence-boosted Speed is only for actual combat. I misinterpreted. But still, does that mean that you need to boost your Speed twice with Essence (once for initiative and once for combat)? Would any boosts you used to get initiative remain in combat?

And no, you have to remember that PVP isn't what this system is for. It's pve.
Ok, I guess it could work so long as none of the players got into a fight with one-another. Now that I'm here, is there any reason one magical girl would fight another?

4. Start over.
Wait, you roll intiative just like that? You forgot to give people a chance to boost their Speed and get better initiative.

No, no, that's good.
So if I wanted to flash step behind someone and slash them, it would be Courage? What if I wanted to flash step from one building to another? If I had 200 Courage and 0 Purity, I'm guessing I could probably do the former but I'd be unable to do the latter.

Ok, so Dumbo's submitted his actions. What do I need to do now?
Well, the boost to initiative would be you using essence to boost your reaction speed. So any boosts to your initiative roll would also count toward the reaction roll, and any instances of rolls relating to how fast you react. It wouldn't help you with running fast, because thats something entirely different.

They might fight one another, but That would be rare enough that, while it would slow things down, it wouldn't be constant. And we could probably handle that on IRC, which would make it much faster.

Well, I would assume that players would know about the initiative roll so it would be like "I attack that thing, put 10 into initiative."

Well, lets see here: Dumbo is currently running at you at 40 miles an hour (rolled 17 in speed), attempting to skewer you with his rapier. His Initiative roll was 12, so the major thing I'd tell you to do is stick some essence in speed so you can react, and then choose how to handle a guy running at you with intent to penetrate you against your will.

Common problem for japanese school girls, I've heard.

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2015, 11:44:50 am »

...we could probably handle that on IRC, which would make it much faster.

((I'd like to point out that, besides the magic system, this RTD won't be any more complex than the system used for Einsteinian Roulette. That game didn't grind to a halt due to conflicting player schedules, last I heard. Besides, my understanding is that part of the RTD charm is that it doesn't require the time investment of a traditional tabletop and can be played in short little bursts from each player; a fast RTD would be something of an oxymoron.))

Speaking of magical qualities, if a magical girl has 0 Innocence, does that mean she's some kind of depraved pervert?

((From what I understand, the magical stats aren't accurate reflections of personality, and instead as descriptors used to help understand the somewhat abstract nature of magic.))

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2015, 04:59:18 pm »

Well, the boost to initiative would be you using essence to boost your reaction speed. So any boosts to your initiative roll would also count toward the reaction roll, and any instances of rolls relating to how fast you react. It wouldn't help you with running fast, because thats something entirely different.
So in essence you're basically splitting a stat in two for the purposes of combat. Boosting one aspect of the stat doesn't help with the other aspects of the stat.
But hold on, in the example bit of combat you gave, Clubber had to have a certain amount of Speed to have a chance to react to Stabby's initial Speed roll - his initiative roll. He managed that and it's all well and good, but then actually dodging the knife used the same boosted stat that he used to do a reaction.
So on one hand, you're saying that reaction and movement are two separate things but on the other hand, the example combat showed them being practically the same thing. Boosting reaction speed boosted movement speed.

Also, you missed this:
If I wanted to flash step behind someone and slash them, it would be Courage. What if I wanted to flash step from one building to another? If I had 200 Courage and 0 Purity, I'm guessing I could probably do the former but I'd be unable to do the latter.

((From what I understand, the magical stats aren't accurate reflections of personality, and instead as descriptors used to help understand the somewhat abstract nature of magic.))
It would be totally hilarious if they were tied to their personalities, though. :P

Put 20 Essence into max Speed and 7 Essence into min Speed.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2015, 06:16:29 pm »

So in essence you're basically splitting a stat in two for the purposes of combat. Boosting one aspect of the stat doesn't help with the other aspects of the stat.
But hold on, in the example bit of combat you gave, Clubber had to have a certain amount of Speed to have a chance to react to Stabby's initial Speed roll - his initiative roll. He managed that and it's all well and good, but then actually dodging the knife used the same boosted stat that he used to do a reaction.
So on one hand, you're saying that reaction and movement are two separate things but on the other hand, the example combat showed them being practically the same thing. Boosting reaction speed boosted movement speed.

Also, you missed this:
If I wanted to flash step behind someone and slash them, it would be Courage. What if I wanted to flash step from one building to another? If I had 200 Courage and 0 Purity, I'm guessing I could probably do the former but I'd be unable to do the latter.

It would be totally hilarious if they were tied to their personalities, though. :P

Put 20 Essence into max Speed and 7 Essence into min Speed.
The example should have had to use more essence then, since it was movement not reaction.

And no, I'm not "Splitting" it. Twitchy fast nerves are not the same thing as running fast. Using essence to make your left arm strong shouldn't effect strength rolls done with your right arm. I'm just trying to play it in a way that makes logical sense. The more gamey way would be to just make it effect everything used with that stat for the entire turn, but then what about if you use essence to turn your right hand to stone? Should the enhanced resilience from that also effect your whole body?

It would take purity and you could do it, it would just need more essence to make up for your lack of skill.

You, unsurprisingly, Roll well enough to respond. You got an 18, so you have about 3 seconds worth of time to respond.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 06:36:56 pm by piecewise »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2015, 06:41:18 pm »

It would take purity and you could do it, it would just need more essence to make up for your lack of skill.

You, unsurprisingly, Roll well enough to respond. You got an 18, so you have about 3 seconds worth of time to respond.
I meant without Essence. It seems a bit weird that your ability to do the same thing differs depending on situation, but I guess it's necessary for game balance.

I put 30 Essence into max speed and 9 Essence into min Speed. I aim to sidestep and cut off his head. I use my magic without Essence to sheathe my sword in energy, making it sharper. I put 5 Essence into max Strength and 5 Essence into min Strength.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2015, 07:19:02 pm »

I meant without Essence. It seems a bit weird that your ability to do the same thing differs depending on situation, but I guess it's necessary for game balance.

I put 30 Essence into max speed and 9 Essence into min Speed. I aim to sidestep and cut off his head. I use my magic without Essence to sheathe my sword in energy, making it sharper. I put 5 Essence into max Strength and 5 Essence into min Strength.
Well, that was the best way I could think of to allow for freedom of magic. I mean, when you start doing something like Elder scrolls and creating a bunch of "Schools" of magic then you end up restricting what people can do. Especially when spells would start showing up in multiple schools.  Yeah, it's kinda weird, but I figured linking it to roles rather then the nature of the spell would be ok too.

Hmm. You're pushing it with that spell of yours, it's gonna be a relatively minor effect. And Thats gonna be a 3 you need to succeed...which you don't get. You Do get 20 speed though, which is enough to automatically tie dumbo's speed at worst, so lets see what he rolls...14. Not great. So you hit him! Dex for aiming at his neck, which isn't very hard at 40 miles an hour...but you don't have a lot. So you swing and...miss, but not by a lot. Ok, lets do the turn.

Dumbo's body crackles with energy and he explodes forward, astroturf and woodchips spraying out in a wake behind his foot steps. He covers the distance to Andres in less then two seconds and thrusts his rapier on Andres' chest with the both hands and the full weight of his body. Andre waits till the last second and then steps to the side with a short burst of superhuman speed. As he dodges, he twists sideways and brings his longsword around in a hard, horizontal slice. He misses Dumbo's throat and instead cleaves his cheek open, splitting a bloody half smile down the right side of Dumbo's face. The wound closes almost instantly, but Dumbo loses 8 essence regardless.

Any essence used for the next initiative roll? Either of you?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2015, 07:49:50 pm »

Nope.

EDIT: That spell effect was supposed to be minor anyway. Wasn't going for anything flashy, just a small boost.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2015, 08:22:36 pm »

Nope.

EDIT: That spell effect was supposed to be minor anyway. Wasn't going for anything flashy, just a small boost.
I figured. I'm just explaining everything while I do it so that things might make more sense as we go.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2015, 08:55:02 pm »

Is he essence I just lost there useable in a spell?
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2015, 09:01:56 pm »

Is he essence I just lost there useable in a spell?
Yep.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15