Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Let us create restraints 1 z-level above the ground, so i can assign goblins.  (Read 5433 times)

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Then i can greet invaders with a glorious sight. Obviously restraining in this way would cause permanent strangulation of the throat.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile

Eh... It's probably against dwarven ethics, since that's either a form of torture and/or a form of making trophies from sapients. The goblins or even humans would probably do that stuff, but even if the ability were added to the game, you'd never see it around dwarven forts because they're just too dogmatically "lawful-good".
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

It's kind of out of character that dwarves can have goblin zoos. Potentially more of an oversight than a design choice.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile

Eh... It's probably against dwarven ethics, since that's either a form of torture and/or a form of making trophies from sapients. The goblins or even humans would probably do that stuff, but even if the ability were added to the game, you'd never see it around dwarven forts because they're just too dogmatically "lawful-good".

Anyone who has read Boatmurdered will know that dwarves are neither lawful nor good. They have been known to murder their own children, make trophies from their bones, then freak out and destroy the whole fortress.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Anyone who has read Boatmurdered will know that dwarves are neither lawful nor good. They have been known to murder their own children, make trophies from their bones, then freak out and destroy the whole fortress.

But we all know that is dwarves under Armok's malign influence........

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

Even in a lawful good society you'd expect to find exceptions (both individual and circumstantial). Are there any real world countries without a prison system?

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile

Even in a lawful good society you'd expect to find exceptions (both individual and circumstantial). Are there any real world countries without a prison system?

I think it was Sweden that currently uses "prisons" that are more like long-term outdoor camps, as their imprisonment philosophy is closer to the rehabilitation side of things than punishment. I remember reading about one incident where the guards accidentally forgot to lock their charges up before leaving for the night and all the inmates did was bake a cake and watch some movies in the rec-center, none of them considered escaping. I'll see if I can find the source for that.
EDIT:
Found it on Reddit:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 05:26:26 pm by LMeire »
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

Was wondering if someone would mention Sweden. Besides they still have a system for dealing with those that go against the system; Some people must be going against their usual lawful good civ ethics. Wish more countries would focus on rehabilitation to the extent they do, but that's not really a discussion for this section.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile

Just because historical dwarves don't do something doesn't mean that it's impossible. Like Vattic said, there are exceptions on the individual level in real societies based on experiences, upbringing, etc. So I was thinking that this could be implemented for goblins and humans at the start, and when the transfer of knowledge and real-world effects from books gets implemented, a particularly "enterprising" fortress could import said knowledge and make use of the ceiling restraints to display hapless invaders. Then again, this might prove unpopular with the dwarven caravan.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just because historical dwarves don't do something doesn't mean that it's impossible. Like Vattic said, there are exceptions on the individual level in real societies based on experiences, upbringing, etc. So I was thinking that this could be implemented for goblins and humans at the start, and when the transfer of knowledge and real-world effects from books gets implemented, a particularly "enterprising" fortress could import said knowledge and make use of the ceiling restraints to display hapless invaders. Then again, this might prove unpopular with the dwarven caravan.

The real issue is ultimately limited resources, the question is not whether we ideally should be able to do it; the question is whether the team should spend time working on something that is a-historical simply because the player might decide to have their dwarves do it.  Introducing various mechanics to torment our enemies might make sense if they were making goblins playable and then dwarves could also a-historically do the same things. 

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

On the upside, it could have ethics that deal with how to execute criminals that are deemed so bad they need to die.

[ETHIC:EXECUTIONS_BY_HANGING] and [ETHIC:EXECUTIONS_BY_STARVATION], or [ETHIC:EXECUTIONS_BY_WEAPON] (referring to a melee weapon such as a hammer, whip, and so on, as dictated by the executioner's raw defined skill) and [ETHIC:EXECUTIONS_BY_FIRING_SQUAD] for example.

This could lead to conflicts fought over such things possibly based on the current ruler's personal beliefs. - for example,
  • Humans may decide they have to stop goblins from starving people to death because they feel it's too cruel a method of execution even compared to thier own of hanging people.
  • Dwarves may find an elven firing squad as too impersonal or wasteful (due to the expended ammo) for an execution as a whole, but the current ruler may not personally care and thus not try to get support for an effort to end it.
  • Goblins would likely find a hammer to the skull too quick and thus not suitable punishment on the whole, and thier leader might deign to impose thier idea of a suitable punishment on less well-defended hillocks (to try and get thier way a foothold in dwarven territory, and potentially sparking a full-scale war for interfering with/bullying those territories.)
  • Elves would likely be appalled by the resultant display of the dead that sometimes comes with hangings, and thier queen may try but failed to get enough support to try and put a stop to it.

Not here to discuss the real ethics and programming and whatnot, since I know such a thing would be a bitch to implement (and if anything like it is planned, likely a long way off,) but I just think differing methods of execution and the possible disputes they could spark, would be neat, as would say, passing by a set of gallows in a human town or the hammering block in a dwarven fortress.

Speaking of which, an execution block or zone so you can pick where an execution takes place would be kinda nice. I'd love to have some nice public executions for everyone to be horrified by. or perhaps in particularly lawful individuals, instead getting a positive thing from seeing an execution (Urist McLawful was greatly pleased/elated when seeing a criminal be executed/justice dispensed.)

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fighting wars over execution methods is absurd even by DF standards. I cannot think of any mediaeval wars which started that way; the Crusades were not fought because of how the Turks dealt with their criminals! Most cultures at that time were vicious, and, while they commented on each other's barbarity, said barbarity was not the reason for war.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fighting wars over execution methods is absurd even by DF standards. I cannot think of any mediaeval wars which started that way; the Crusades were not fought because of how the Turks dealt with their criminals! Most cultures at that time were vicious, and, while they commented on each other's barbarity, said barbarity was not the reason for war.

First off, no need to be aggressive about it.

Second, as absurd as it is, we've seen wars over how plants of all things get treated. Unthinking, stationary, nervous systemless (at least as anyone would understand them in the game,) plants.

Having them fight over (or try to impose on neighboring lands, thus possibly provoking a war,) what they consider the "right" way to deal with criminals (among other things,) seems like it would be par the course in a place like that. And I did say it would probably be partly dependant on the leader's' own beliefs and whether or not they succeed in getting the support for such a thing.

But that's just my opinion.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The elves are insane plant cultists, so that makes a twisted form of sense to them, but all civilisations are violent to each other. I have a theory that elves consume psychoactive substances which put them in a bizarre state of mind. The reason I am opposed to this idea is that it might make even the relatively sane races (humans and to a lesser extent dwarves) fight for odd reasons if it is cultural.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 09:50:36 am by Urist Tilaturist »

For old times' sake.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It'd also be possible to have people try to kill you over turning cats into hats with some ethic modifications.

For example: Mistreatment of animals, torture for sport, and not executing/exiling oathbreakers and traitors. All of this adds up, and it becomes very easy for a culture against all that to end up fighting them if they get a suitable catalyst (merchants go missing in the "weird" culture's lands, a diplomat is murdered, that sort of thing.) "These deranged fucks do this, this, and this, and now they've killed our esteemed representative! We must kill them! We must remove these lunatics from the world! And maybe take thier shit."

I also added in anything being done about perhaps being more to do with the leader's personal beliefs, and if not outright fighting, trying to impose a specific way of doing things on closeby neighbors (not just executions, but perhaps trying to influence how theft is treated, or how making trophies from sapients is seen or something,) possibly agitating the owner of the site enough to declare war for trying to impose a foreign culture on thier territory.

In that vein we could have a set of human towns with a large number of people who greatly value nature and feel it should be protected, because they happen to do a lot of trade and are very close to elven territory. Even without direct impressment, someone could still get all uppity and feel they need to "correct" these values be beating the crap out of the source. Varying beliefs on what is considered the "right" way to deal with criminals who got the death penalty would fit into that (there's stuff for oathbreaking, lying, theft, assault, treatment of plants and animals, treason, why not something to cover executions in general? An additional ethic: [ETHIC:EXECUTIONS:UNTHINKABLE] - Such a civ finds it morally repugnant and just plain wrong to execute someone for any reason. Elves and animal people/kobolds would likely get this one since they seem to exile people at worst.)

I admit I'm kinda rambling a bit, but still. It's a little odd to me personally (all of the above is just an opinion on the matter,) that there isn't some tension over how each group perceives the others' sense of justice, and it'd be kind of nice to have some way to vary it besides "chain dude to thing, whack in head with weapon until dead or number of strikes is completed."
Pages: [1] 2