Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Teach a moral lesson  (Read 2974 times)

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Teach a moral lesson
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 12:29:39 pm »

This is pretty standard propaganda stuff, which traditionally was called religion. All those guys who went to Iraq to "fight terrorism" and all the people back home who "support the troops". What would you call that if not indoctrination?

And this doesn't need to happen from a young age or do you think all German people are nazis by nature? Conditioning and propaganda do work quite well.

There will always be outliers of course but I wouldn't say that has to do with personality traits. There we would need to start the nature vs nurture discussion which probably wouldn't be very productive.

As for "more developed culture", you'd have to ask a historian or anthropologist. What I mean by it is, for example, the impact European countries had upon African and American "primitive" people and how much christian doctrine spread in those places as opposed to the impact it had on Chinese or Indian culture. Of course, in the end we all became nihilistic capitalists but this culture swap phenomenon is well documented.

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ALL:PERSONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2015, 03:30:11 pm »

This is pretty standard propaganda stuff, which traditionally was called religion. All those guys who went to Iraq to "fight terrorism" and all the people back home who "support the troops". What would you call that if not indoctrination?

It is indoctrination but that stuff is all started during childhood with patriotism/nationalism that's drummed into children by their parents, the state and society at large and that's been apart of American culture since the cold war, the "fight terrorism" and "support the troops" are just fruits born from years of indoctrination of an entire nation and even then there have been people who've resisted the message resulting in outliers.

If the player wants to do that level of indoctrination it should take years or decades of effort and not be the result of simple "rehabilitation" program.

And this doesn't need to happen from a young age or do you think all German people are nazis by nature? Conditioning and propaganda do work quite well.

I think that Nazi Germany was more a mob frenzy type mentality then full on indoctrination and while the SS where indoctrinated I think the rest of them going along with it was a result of them being "whipped up" into frenzy, which isn't really indoctrination imho.

I do think that what made it possible in the first place was a part of human nature.

There will always be outliers of course but I wouldn't say that has to do with personality traits. There we would need to start the nature vs nurture discussion which probably wouldn't be very productive.

I'll give you the point in that nature vs nurture is something that is still discussed quite heatedly IRL and probably wouldn't help this discussion much, although I'm on the side of nature.

I think its important to remember that we're discussing DF and that in DF the line between nature and nurture is defined, there are natural traits (facets) that are attached to a creatures raw data  and nurtured traits (values) that are "learnt" from civilizations and are (currently) defined in the entity raw data, out of the nature traits [CLOSEMINDED], [DISDAIN_ADVICE] and looking though them [PERSEVERENCE] most definitely seem to me like they would play apart in any attempt by the player to change a creatures nurtured values, here's the possible level of those traits.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I personally think its obvious that these traits would have an effect, high level making it harder and low level making it easier and I'm sure if you go though all the trait you could find others that have an effect on the indoctrination process.

As for "more developed culture", you'd have to ask a historian or anthropologist. What I mean by it is, for example, the impact European countries had upon African and American "primitive" people and how much christian doctrine spread in those places as opposed to the impact it had on Chinese or Indian culture.

Personally I'd say that the long history possessed by China and India as well as their the written records of that history helped insulate their culture from being over taken by foreign cultures while the African and American "primitive" people did it almost completely by word of mouth and then when you add in the population difference...

Of course, in the end we all became nihilistic capitalists

You say that like its a bad thing.

but this culture swap phenomenon is well documented.

And? I never said that culture swap doesn't happen, what I did say that it effects on an individual are dependent on that individuals personality because stubborn people are less likely to accept the swap and are more likely to try and oppose, resist or stop it if at all possible.
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2015, 04:50:09 pm »

Sure yeah a mob frenzy that lasted decades, those Germans sure do get carried away. I don't think this is a very productive discussion, what Toady wills is what will matter in the end, as always.

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ALL:PERSONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2015, 12:39:49 am »

Sure yeah a mob frenzy that lasted decades, those Germans sure do get carried away. I don't think this is a very productive discussion, what Toady wills is what will matter in the end, as always.

Decades? Hitler got into power in 1932 and that lasted until 1945 so Nazi Germany lasted 13 years or just over a single decade and he only had 33 percent of the vote when he got in which is hardly a indoctrinated nation.

The frenzy lasted a few years true but that doesn't make it less of a frenzy, take the American war against terrorism for example, just after the 9,11 attacks there was a frenzied support for this war across almost all groups in America but even with its well established indoctrination program that has been running for decades support has declined slightly because the frenzy is over and its only the indoctrination program that keeps it going and the programs working full bore on keeping the support up.

I think you might believe that Hitlers Nazi regime was some kind of nationwide indoctrination success but Hitler was unable to secure the chancellorship with his own power gaining the seat though an agreement with the nationalist-conservatives, while the true extent of resistance to Nazi Germany is unknown there was resistance both from the beginning (read 1933) and later

I think you need to remember the banality of evil and that indoctrination is about getting people to believe what you want them to believe not just coercing them to obey state mandates.

So yeah I think it was a frenzy that kick-started a police state not a successful indoctrination of the German public as a whole but that's just me.

I will now drop the discussion because its off topic and the last time I did that the thread got locked so at the bare minimum lets agree to disagree.
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek
Pages: 1 [2]