Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gremlin baron bind  (Read 1060 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gremlin baron bind
« on: August 15, 2015, 10:41:25 am »

I've caught a Gremlin and have managed to sort of keep it trained by chaining it next to my water cistern and assigning the chain tiles as a training zone as well as a food storage (or the bugger would starve/thirst to death as no one bothers to bring it food or water).
So, the trade liaison came along and offered to make the fortress into a barony. I checked the list for non harmful candidates, and suddenly saw "The Gremlin" as one of the alternatives. It had to be him!
The next step is obviously to build the required rooms for the new baron, but when I'm going to assign the room I can't because The Gremlin is not in the list, either as "The Gremlin", "Stray Baron...", or anything else.
- Is there a way to assign the rooms to the baron?
- Will the appointment to Baron cause the Gremlin training from decaying into the wild state? If not, what happens if I'm forced to kill him (loyalty cascade or anything like that)?

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Re: Gremlin baron bind
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 11:03:12 am »

You can make the baron's rooms into a pasture and assign the gremlin to it. I did that when I had a goblin vampire queen once. Non-dwarf nobles have no room demands anyway, so it won't matter that the rooms aren't actually "assigned."
That's assuming he's trained enough to be moved to the pasture without attacking anyone. If not, I'd cage him, set up the cage in the baron suite, connect it to a lever outside, lock the suite (or wall it off? can gremlins pick locks?), and open the cage remotely. I suppose you can drop food/build a well for him to sustain himself (though I didn't think non-dwarves/grazers had to eat).
I don't know much about animal training, but I don't think appointing him a baron will accelerate the decay.

The only problem I can think of is if he needs to meet with the liaison: do they need to be adjacent to each other to talk?

Be sure to give him plenty of levers to play with.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 11:36:57 am »

My understanding is that non dwarves that become members of your civ need to eat, but that currently the only eligible non members were Gremlins (who are very much lock pickers, by the way. In my previous Gremlin training attempt I released a very hungry and thirsty Gremlin from his pasture and then animal locked the door behind it. It went to drink and eat, and then returned to the pasture by claiming the doors [as invading Kobolds do with locked doors, and any (sentient?) invader does with unlocked ones], only to find it needn't be there and so it left), but you apparently managed to get a Goblin. They also need to sleep (I lost my first Gremlin due to madness induced by lack of sleep while caged).
Gremlins only play with levers while wild, not while any level of trained.
A caged wild Gremlin is easy to manage. Just train in and then release it.

Meetings require meetings, so yes, any baronial meetings will require adjacency. However, it sounds like the rooms are just going to remain empty and I should return the Gremlin to his chain (or maybe wait until the training decays to semi-wild).

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 02:03:14 pm »

My understanding is that non dwarves that become members of your civ need to eat, but that currently the only eligible non members were Gremlins (who are very much lock pickers, by the way. In my previous Gremlin training attempt I released a very hungry and thirsty Gremlin from his pasture and then animal locked the door behind it. It went to drink and eat, and then returned to the pasture by claiming the doors [as invading Kobolds do with locked doors, and any (sentient?) invader does with unlocked ones], only to find it needn't be there and so it left), but you apparently managed to get a Goblin. They also need to sleep (I lost my first Gremlin due to madness induced by lack of sleep while caged).
Gremlins only play with levers while wild, not while any level of trained.
A caged wild Gremlin is easy to manage. Just train in and then release it.

Meetings require meetings, so yes, any baronial meetings will require adjacency. However, it sounds like the rooms are just going to remain empty and I should return the Gremlin to his chain (or maybe wait until the training decays to semi-wild).

I had a game a long time ago where gremlins were available upon embark. They were something like 2 points each, I brought as many as possible.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 02:24:21 pm »

If the gremlin isn't tamed well, I'd recommend attempting to get a female gremlin to be baroness, then killing both of them once they have children and training the children so they'll be permanently tamed. There is unfortunately a 25% chance your gremlin baron won't want to have children, and a 25% chance the random female gremlin won't want to have children which can be overcome by getting several female gremlins. Anyway, it would be cool to have a long line of gremlin barons, definitely keep the baron at least.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 03:30:30 pm »

Well, the baron won't sire any gremlinets as he's "asexual" in DT symbology. I have a pile of gremlin traps, but so far they've only caught bycatch (1 Gorlak, 8 Crundles), apart from this single Gremlin. I am, however, trying to catch a breeding gremlin pair (and a cave dragon pair, and a jabberer pair, and a dragon pair, and a roc pair, and a hydra pair... So far I've got 1 jabberer and 2 cave dragons [one of which is a dud]).
Since gremlins are immortal, he won't die of old age (he's 400+ years in a 40+fortress age [3?] world). For some unknown reason, he's stressed, though.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 12:25:35 pm »

Well, the baron won't sire any gremlinets as he's "asexual" in DT symbology. I have a pile of gremlin traps, but so far they've only caught bycatch (1 Gorlak, 8 Crundles), apart from this single Gremlin. I am, however, trying to catch a breeding gremlin pair (and a cave dragon pair, and a jabberer pair, and a dragon pair, and a roc pair, and a hydra pair... So far I've got 1 jabberer and 2 cave dragons [one of which is a dud]).
Since gremlins are immortal, he won't die of old age (he's 400+ years in a 40+fortress age [3?] world). For some unknown reason, he's stressed, though.
Wow, that is incredibly unlikely. If you have DFhack, could you select the gremlin with v then z, then type "gaydar" into dfhack? I've found that more informative as it can put out more states of information than just four combinations of two symbols. The maxage of a gremlin is 800:1000, so, not immortal, but probably older than the world itself.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 01:15:59 pm »

Gaydar claims he likes females and likes males. Thus, he's not willing to commit to marriage, which is why I quoted "asexual", since it consists of both actual asexual (5%?) and marriage averse (20%?).
If I happen to catch a Gremlinette, I'll probably locate the command that cheats him to commit.