Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Reanimation of Uristildom - We Need Players!  (Read 5043 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
The Reanimation of Uristildom - We Need Players!
« on: August 15, 2015, 07:43:41 pm »

Uristildom (Daggerfaints)

Welcome to Uristildom!  Our main attractions include: our legendary lack of organization, our many diverse entrances to the very dangerous caverns, our rampant adamantine mining, our lack of preparation for disasters, our lack of a working bridge, our lack of a plan for deadly blood/dust forgotten beasts...  We also have possibly the deepest aquifer ever, even intersecting the first caverns!  Sure was a lot of fun...  Have some of your own!

This is part of the Necromancer's Tower project.  Here is the original succession fortress's thread.  This succession game is played in v.0.31.25.

Spoiler: Pictures (click to show/hide)

Turns - Starting from Reanimation (Original thread ended on turn 3):

Turn 1: jwoodward48df

Turn 2: Gwolfski (skipped)
Turn 2: megahelmet

Granite 1st, 9:

I woke up this morning from the deepest sleep I've ever slept, dreams of fell things in the deeps.

As no one else has claimed leadership, I have decided to.  I am Sarvesh Ducimorrun, a miner.  I'm sixty-one years old, very skinny, assertive, and good with emotions and social situations.

This town is doing very well.  It has plenty of drink, plenty of food, and a good militia.  I think this should be easy.

Granite 3rd:

There is a zombie reindeer cow disrupting workers on the surface.  I ordered some soldiers to go kill it.  As this happens, the mayor ends a mandate, Zulban becomes a criminal for not making tin items, and Conan goes to beat him.

Granite 4th:

The soldiers are not injured.  The macedwarf, however, is bashed in the middle spine for his crime.  Also, we have over one hundred free doors.  I have ordered them placed pretty much everywhere.

Granite 11th:

Just when I thought everything was going fine, the #%$@ hit the fan.

"diorite Floodgate destroyed by Ipan Nethrezkusut, Forgotten Beast.
Avuz Kurelstinthad, Wood Burner cancels Gather Plants: Interrupted by Forgotten Beast.
Bembul Asenablel, Farmer cancels Store Item in Barrel: Interrupted by Forgotten Beast."

So, in the middle of our farming operations, we've got an enormous sauropod with a poisonous sting pretty much ready to destroy us.

But wait!  There's more!  Upon a closer look, I see what appears to be mist but what is really some forgotten beast extract from the enormous skinless dimetrodon flying above.

Carp.

I can see where they got in: there was a floodgate blocking off the caverns.  Not such a good idea, huh?  I activate the militia, who thankfully just ran down the stairs.

Granite 12th:

Ipan chases poor Avuz around the sealed portion of the caverns, but then they run into a pile of civilians and soldiers.  The only damage to Avuz right now is a bruised foot.  Ipan knocks a speardwarf over and kicks him in the upper body, bruising it, but the swordsdwarf behind him hacks with his... battle axe?  Well, I'll take anything I can get at these times.  Anyway, he hacks Ipan in the left rear foot, cutting it open.  There's blood all over the floor, I think it's Ipan's.

The speardwarf rolls out of Ipan's way as it jumps down at her.  The swordsdwarf axedwarf takes the opportunity and hacks it in the head, cutting it open.  Ipan, angered, knocks the speardwarf over again and kicks him in the foot, which is only protected by a weak wooden high boot.  The axedwarf hacks Ipan again, this time in the upper body, tearing it open.  The speardwarf blocks Ipan's attack as best she can, terrified and on the floor.

The axedwarf hacks Ipan's left rear foot, tearing it apart, but then Ipan whirls about and attacks him.  The swordsdwarf leaps away, and Ipan follows.  After a few hacks, Ipan knocks him over and tries to claw him, but he uses his shield repeatedly.  He bides his time, waiting for Ipan to make a mistake, and counterstrikes when it does.  But he makes a mistake of his own, and Ipan kicks his right upper arm, shattering the bone.  Knocking him over again, Ipan kicks him again, but doesn't notice the speardwarf stabbing it until it's too late.

Meanwhile, on the Edimi front, a hammerdwarf is trying to kick a forgotten beast to death.  Back to Ipan, it's shattering the axedwarf's limbs, but the speardwarf is still attacking, nearly unnoticed.  But she's doing some pretty good damage to it, as she's actually competent with her weapon.  Ipan is biting the axedwarf and shaking him around by the upper body.  I think he's going to die.

Meanwhile, Edimi is spewing this stuff everywhere and slamming into dwarves.  I hope it's not poisonous...

Yes!  The speardwarf has been stabbing Ipan everywhere, and it finally falls over.  That'll make it easier to kill!

But it still shakes the axedwarf around, and he gives into pain.  The speardwarf gets a really good it in Ipan's back, breaking the middle spine and tearing some nerves.

Meanwhile, hammerdwarves are breaking Edimi's bones

Yes!  A proficient axedwarf joins the fight, and hacks at Ipan with his steel battle axe!  They both hack and stab, until Conan joins the fight with his silver hammer.

The fight continues.  Seriously, this beast has red wounds on almost every part of its body, and the rest is brown or yellow.  Only the tail is fine.  Another speardwarf comes in with a steel spear.  Now the tail isn't fine.  Feet are flying, and they aren't dwarves'.  This speardwarf is using a wooden spear.  We'll take anything we can get!

And Ipan is dead!  Probably from blood loss.  Go get Edimi!

Wait!  What's that...  Spoon is paralyzed!  Oh, no...  Kill that thing before it's too late!  Civilians!  Run away!

Granite 13th:

The beast is dead, but at what cost?  Moldath, the first to be hit by the clouds of deadly dust, has suffocated.  As has Spoon!

Granite 14th:

Now Endok and Urdim, speardwarves have suffocated!  And Mistem, and Stukos, and Zaneg, and Sakzul...  The rest lie there, short of breath and knowing their fate.  They all die.

I just pray that the dust is gone.  Just in case, I forbid everything around that area.  Our militia now numbers at 5.  Two swordsdwarves, one macedwarf, one wrestler, and one recruit.  Many civilians are unhappy, as they have lost friends.

I go around the fortress, noting weak points and ordering them closed off.  We will not be able to fight enemies any more.  We will have to "turtle," at least until we raise a good militia again.  I have forbidden anyone from getting the dead soldiers, any of their stuff, or even walking there.  I will order a wall built around it, and slabs placed beside the wall, in remembrance of their sacrifice.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 10:52:04 am by jwoodward48df »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: The Reanimation of Uristildom
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 09:34:50 am »

Granite 24th:

Squid, the mayor and doctor, is looking at Rith.  Rith's the axedwarf that got mauled by Ipan, so he never got near Edimi.  Squid says she thinks he'll live, and cleans him.  She does surgery and repairs a compound fracture.

Also, a rabbit suffocated.  In the middle of a hallway, coated with dust.  This is bad.

Our two swordsdwarves are sparring, training so that they can become a good militia.  Jeffrey, a recruit, bashes some zombies on the surface, with the help of some stonefall traps.

Slate 20th:

Some migrants have arrived.  A talented woodcrafter and accomplished presser arrives, who is also a competent swordsdwarf.  Looks like a commander!  I also rearrange everything, removing the fortress guard.

Slate 21st:

Perhaps that was a bad idea.  Tobul is throwing a tantrum!

I make a talented marksdwarf and competent potter our militia captain.  Also, there are literally two talented cheese makers in the newest migrant wave.  Also, plenty of doctors.  Latter is good, former not so much.

Wow, this talented clothier is competent hammerdwarf, a novice speardwarf, a novice marksdwarf, a skilled shield user, a proficient armor user, a skilled fighter, a novice archer, and a proficient dodger.  Good to know he can fight with pretty much anything on hand.

And a weaponsmith, and a metalsmith!  And... a high master cheese maker.

Thankfully, Tobul calmed down after just making a single attack against a wood burner, who just scrambled away.

Wait, Tobul's still fighting!  And punching the wood burner!  Apparently, she was in love with Spoon.  How sad.  She was also friends with Conan.

Slate 25th:

A pet turkey hen has suffocated, and a pet blue peachick is not far behind.  Now it's dead.

Slate 26th:

And a stray duckling has died!  We need to make sure everyone has shoes and gloves.

And Rith, the axedwarf that fought with Ipan, died of infection.

And a stray bunny suffocated.  I looked into it, and saw that pets are running into the death-corner to try to find their dead owners.  They then spread the dust around.

Felsite 5th:

A cheesemaker got it into his head to punish Tobul, and punched him in the head, instantly killing him.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 04:21:49 pm by jwoodward48df »
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 05:33:39 pm »

Felsite 6th:

Don't cook the forgotten beast meat, idiots!  Well...  I suppose it'll be fine, as long as you clean it.  It's not like it had poisonous blood or anything.  Almost 300 meals!  That's great!

However, each person bringing up one glob of tallow at a time is not.  There are now 99 globs of fat.

Felsite 14th:

The elves have arrived.  I appoint administrators to replace our losses.

I also plan to make our glorious dining hall even more glorious to make us happier.  And more statues.

Felsite 19th:

Two puppies died.  I was just glad that they died in the dumps.

Gods, what's happening to me?

Felsite 20th:

Aaand here's another bloody beast.  Yonali, a bloody skinless lizard with three bloody long, hanging tails.  It is ravening.  Beware its bloody webs!  Not actually bloody, I'm just swearing.  You can never tell with these beasts.

It's in a lower cavern, so I don't think it can reach us.

Felsite 21st:

It was horrible!  All dead...  All of them...

No, I'm not talking about dwarves.  Phew.  No, the militia said they were going to do a "traditional welcome" for the elves.  I was glad they were getting along so well with the elves, but then I heard screams and sounds of a fight.  The soldiers came back down, grinning and covered in blood.

Felsite 24th:

As Squid was coming up to trade with the elves, she saw the horrible blood and corpses.  She stalked back down, brooding darkly, and threw Bembul out of his butcher's shop, saying, "Leave me.  I need... things...  certain things."  I think she wants vermin remains.  And we have no cats.

This should be good!

I ordered some small animals caught at the nearby kennels, in the hopes that she'd take that.

Also, our adept herbalists are getting hundreds of plants from the sandy floors.

Felsite 28th:

As spring comes to a close, Nano throws a tantrum, and several pet birds suffocate.  Both have only a few specks of dust on them.  This is a potent poison.

Hematite 1st:

Nano's calmed down, but he tried to punch a dog.  Now the same cheesemaker is beating him...  With a wooden sword.  Yes!  Oh, wait, he punched him, breaking a rib.

Hematite 5th:

Ohno ohno ohno ohno ohno

A hammerdwarf's suffocating who knows who might be next there's dust in his boots

And a cheesemaker is picking him up and the cheesemaker has dust on his shoes

And now they're getting his stuff oh gods no

Hematite 5th

Oh my god there's a pile of it on the surface and nobody will clean it and Jeffrey's dying

I order it floored over I just hope that'll work

And it's all over outside

I order everyone inside and away from the dust I just hope it's in time

I know!  A dwarfwasher!  But it might kill everyone...
Sigtext!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 06:01:58 pm »

Isolate all the pets. Now. Put all the animal caretakers in a squad afterward amd isolate them too. Be ready to seal them if the infection spreads. If the infexrion spreads by proximity and nor by toiching the dust specifically the wandering pets will wipe the fort.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 06:07:26 pm by Taupe »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 07:45:31 pm »

This is in DF2010, just so you know.  I don't think animal caretakers did anything back then?  *checks*  Nope, they don't.  Good advice, though.  I'm already bringing everybody inside, where they should clean up any deadly dust, but I'll pasture all the animals too.

Also, it's great to see that people are reading this!  It's all part of a large plan to reanimate as many old succession forts that died from neglect as I can.

Also also, OMGYOU'RETAUPE!  I really like Whisperwhip (skypigs ftw) and your turn in Doomforest.
Sigtext!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 08:07:38 pm »

This is in DF2010, just so you know.  I don't think animal caretakers did anything back then?  *checks*  Nope, they don't.  Good advice, though.  I'm already bringing everybody inside, where they should clean up any deadly dust, but I'll pasture all the animals too.

Also, it's great to see that people are reading this!  It's all part of a large plan to reanimate as many old succession forts that died from neglect as I can.

Also also, OMGYOU'RETAUPE!  I really like Whisperwhip (skypigs ftw) and your turn in Doomforest.
Why thanks a lot! It's always nice to see people who read my stuff. I stumbled upon the main resurection thread and decided to take a look. Wasn't expecting anything out of it, but this is turning out great. Keep it up.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 04:56:03 pm »

I've got an even better idea: cage them all up.  They shouldn't be able to be contaminated when they're in a cage.

Hematite 6th:

"Cage up the animals.  ALL of them," Sarvesh said.  "We're moving out."

"Abandoning?!" thundered Farmer Bob.  "Never!"

"We're just moving next door for a little while until this whole infection thing clears up."

"Jeffrey's suffocated!" shouted Kivish.  "We'd better hurry," said Sarvesh.

Hematite 18th:

We're working on cleaning the ice hut of dust, while building many coffins for the dead.  Some ghosts are haunting us still.

Some animals have dust on them.  I am ordering them slaughtered.  No, I will order them in the cage, as cages are this weird extradimensional oddities.  They shouldn't infect anything in there.

Some children are wearing no shoes!  This could be bad...

Work on the bunker continues.

Hematite 26th:

A ghost has been put to rest.

Malachite 3rd:

Somehow, Kivish got dust on his foot.  He will die.

Malachite 4th:

Squid used to be the mayor.  Now Dobar is.  I didn't hear about any election...

Malachite 6th:

The coffins fill and fill, but still dwarves produce skeletons from their closets.  Well, not really.  Nobody here even has more than a simple bedroom and a cupboard, except for the nobles.  How long have you people gone without burying your dead?!  This reminds me of Doomforests...

Another ghost put to rest.

Malachite 7th:

People are hauling meat and seeds into the bunkers.

The crazy cheese maker beat up a gem setter because she didn't make any tin items.

Thank goodness I ordered all those tables and chairs before!  People, we're eating in the bunkers now!

Malachite 10th:

Squid, unable to find any dead vermin, went berserk.  Vucar, a passing fisherdwarf, heard and locked her up in her workshop area.  Phew!

Malachite 17th:

Some migrants have arrived.  I notice a small corner of our land where no snow falls.  It looks so peaceful and happy.

If only.

ZOMBIE RUSH!!!!!

Galena 6th:

I was trying to make a farm.

What I actually made was a pit full of dust.

Never mind, guys, I'll just use the muddied floor next to the bunkers from the draining project.

Galena 13th:

We are a hundred feet below the surface.  I tell you guys to bring seeds so that we can start a subterranean farm.

You bring rat weed seeds, rope reed seeds, and such useless junk.

Bring me plump helmet spawn - or starve.  It's your choice.

Also, humans arrived.  Didn't care, too busy.

Galena 16th:

Now the goblins?!  Pull the bloody lever right now, or I swear, I will draft you and send you out as a distraction!

Where's the lever?  WHERE'S THE LEVER?!  Where are the notes where are the notes where are the notes

"Enemy Lock Lever."  I think that's it.  Pull the lever NOW!

Will it be in time?  Tune in next time to see if we all die?
Sigtext!

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 05:18:14 pm »

It's subtle, but if you stay still and look carefully, you can see hints if why this place was abandonned...

Dwarf me up as a non terrible fighter if you have any left...

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 06:38:22 pm »

OOC: Sure, Taupe!  I'm not sure who's from before the death-spree, so I just dwarfed you as Taupe Rigothgim, formerly known as Tholtig.  Taupe is a talented marksdwarf, and probably the most valuable member of the militia.  Here's the character description:

Spoiler: Taupe (click to show/hide)

Galena 21st:

No, it wasn't in time, but we're fine!

Nope!  Not the bunker!  That isn't finished yet.  Guess again!

No, you in the back, the militia is useless!

It was the hatch covers.  A genius overseer previously decided that instead of having to sift through a dozen papers to find one of several levers, all of which claimed to seal the entrance but didn't really, we should have locks.  Those wonderful, simple things.  You just pull on the doodad and it's shut tight!  No more pesky goblins trying to get in.  Now, if another giant came, we'd be dead, but right now, we're fine.

Limestone 1st:

We can hear screams and sounds of fighting from above.  The human merchants!  Oh, no!  Well, there's nothing we can do.

Right now, we're working on making the bunker livable for a fortress of over one hundred.  A large dining hall should be good.

Limestone 9th:

It is time.  I call everybody inside the bunker.

It is cramped.

Limestone 10th:

Wait!  We forgot Dodok!  Where are you, Dodok?

Limestone 14th:

We found him sneaking around in the main fortress, sketching cloth.  Someone got it out of the hospital for him, and of course that means everybody else goes out too.  I'll work on expanding the dining hall...  I guess...

Limestone 15th:

He's started work on his doodad.  I'm glad he's not a berserker like Squid.  Speaking of Squid, she's been quiet lately.  Not screaming at us like before.  *checks through the window*  She's dead.  Can't say I'm not a little happy that threat's gone.

Limestone 19th:

Dodok has created a water buffalo bone bracelet!  It looks wonderful.

Sandstone 6th:

I plan on sealing us inside the bunker just as soon as we bring in the last of the alcohol.

Sandstone 24th:

We're in (finally), but Nano won't get up.  He's just lying on the floor outside the bunker.

Timber 15th:

Since the deaths have stopped, and Nano won't budge, I've decided to just let the bunker stay mostly empty.  However, the only dormitories and dining hall are now inside the bunkers.  In the event of a doom-inducing apocalypse, one will pull a lever and seal them in with the food and drink.

Timber 20th:

The goblins have left!  Phew!  The workers are busily working again, at double speed, to deal with all of the jobs neglected during the bunker project.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 06:48:06 pm by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 01:23:42 pm »

Moonstone 13th:

Winter has come.  Someone built an adamantine trade depot.  This is good.

Moonstone 15th:

A pet rooster has suffocated?!  Oh, no, not again...
Sigtext!

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 05:19:18 pm »

bumpity bump
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 07:12:39 pm »

I like it! Thanks for posting. Definitely helps this last hour at work go by quicker :)
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 11:17:29 am »

Gwolfski!  You gotta come here, now!  Mountainhome wants me back, says Ironworked's got a horrible deadly blood epidemic.  "It's not time," I said, "I haven't even led here for a year!"  They don't care, they've heard about my expertise in dealing with beast sickness.  Don't worry about the suffocated pet, it died in the middle of nowhere on the surface without any dust on it.  The chief medical dwarf assures me.  I think it's really over.  Feel free to lead until the end of next year (that is, the end of next Obsidian).

Your colleague and friend,

Jwoodward48df

OOC: Save coming soon.  Sorry, summer school and camp went together to ensure I couldn't use the internet.
Sigtext!

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 12:13:06 pm »

it might take a while, ive got four succesion forts now. i postponed two of them, sothis might be slightly longer.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2015, 02:48:56 pm »

Oh my gosh, I nearly forgot about this!  I'm have the save up in a jiffy, more likely than not.  It's on a separate hard drive, though, so there might be a few problems.  I didn't realize that promising to upload the save isn't actually the same as uploading it.

Edit: Hard drive not uploading correctly.  Save's still okay, but inaccessible.  Jwood cancels Give File: File inaccessible.  Anyway, you're working on Doomforests anyway, so it'd probably be fine if I uploaded it in a day or two, which is when I can get my dad to help me.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 03:19:05 pm by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!
Pages: [1] 2 3