Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Kitchen Problems!  (Read 767 times)

hemperor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kitchen Problems!
« on: August 16, 2015, 02:45:25 pm »

Why my dwarves let a lot of food rotten in the kitchen workshop? when has plenty of space in the pile right nex to it, no give/take designation is blocking the stocking, and i have a lot of barrels around, all the foods are permitted okay, and i have a lot of idles, somebody has a ideia???????? what is happening

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kitchen Problems!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 03:11:46 pm »

- Is there a path between the kitchen and the stockpile?
- Is there a link to the kitchen (that might limit where the kitchen is sending stuff, even if the destination stockpile doesn't have links)?
- Do you have any burrows that limit the dorfs from accessing both the kitchen and the stockpile?
- Do the idle dwarves have the food hauling labor enabled?
- Does the desired stockpile have prepared meals enabled ('u')? That's enabled by default, but 'block all' will remove it.

There are probably other possible things I've missed...

hemperor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 04:11:10 pm »

- Is there a path between the kitchen and the stockpile?
- Is there a link to the kitchen (that might limit where the kitchen is sending stuff, even if the destination stockpile doesn't have links)?
- Do you have any burrows that limit the dorfs from accessing both the kitchen and the stockpile?
- Do the idle dwarves have the food hauling labor enabled?
- Does the desired stockpile have prepared meals enabled ('u')? That's enabled by default, but 'block all' will remove it.

There are probably other possible things I've missed...

WHen you say path, you mean route?? i have none, just one outside that i did for test, i donk't know how to use routes and burrows yet, none of this.
 Link to the kitchen?? what you mean by that? i just desable the drinks and lye from the stockpile i dont find prepared meals in the list to confirm, but i'm pretty sure there is prepared meals already stocked.
 But the Pile is almost empty i don't know why i have plent of prepared meals rotting away and barrels in the furniture & finished goods stockpiles 1 level above the kitchen! so disturibing i dont have a clue!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 04:12:53 pm by hemperor »

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 04:27:05 pm »

Links are the give/take designations (give to X, take from X), and prepared meals are enabled by default.  Now, are you sure you have FOOD hauling enabled on your dorfs? Hauling is split into several different labor assignments, afterall. 

If there are empty spaces in your workshop and a free dorf with food hauling enabled, you shouldn't have any issues.  When examining a stockpile, you can double check if it has a link.  I couldn't hurt it to take from your kitchen, either. 

Have you fiddled with the hauling settings of any dorfs? Your ilders could be a weaponsmith that you turned hauling off for. 

Another issue is that you might have accidentally disabled prepared meals from your stockpile.  The toggle for it is "u" and it is found as a separate toggle underneath the list of specific foods.  It is always there, and doesn't move as you scroll up/down.   

hemperor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 05:01:41 pm »

Links are the give/take designations (give to X, take from X), and prepared meals are enabled by default.  Now, are you sure you have FOOD hauling enabled on your dorfs? Hauling is split into several different labor assignments, afterall. 

If there are empty spaces in your workshop and a free dorf with food hauling enabled, you shouldn't have any issues.  When examining a stockpile, you can double check if it has a link.  I couldn't hurt it to take from your kitchen, either. 

Have you fiddled with the hauling settings of any dorfs? Your ilders could be a weaponsmith that you turned hauling off for. 

Another issue is that you might have accidentally disabled prepared meals from your stockpile.  The toggle for it is "u" and it is found as a separate toggle underneath the list of specific foods.  It is always there, and doesn't move as you scroll up/down.

I have any Give/Take designations active and i don't changed any hauling options... very, very strange

hemperor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 05:24:08 pm »

The pile was cursed! for no reason at all i created another exacly identical and works fine! but thanks for the help, anyway!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 02:31:24 am »

- With path I meant a way for dwarves to move from point A to point B, without being blocked by a wall, impassable tiles in a workshop, etc., not any kind of setup. It's not uncommon to accidentally block off access by plunking down a workshop that severs connection through its impassable tiles.

- One way to "curse" a stockpile is to accidentally set it to "take from links only" ('a'). If you don't have any links to it, nothing is hauled to it (I use it both for Quantum Stockpile target stockpiles, as well as for temporary stockpiles created shortly after embark that I want to empty to the "proper" stockpile set up when the area for it has been dug out.