Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Different Civs - How To Start Playing?  (Read 1621 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Different Civs - How To Start Playing?
« on: August 16, 2015, 02:58:06 pm »

So I was wanting to play kobolds, and so I checked the check mark to the right of "Kobolds" and underneath "Fort."  This did not allow me to play as kobolds.

So I genned a new world.

This did not allow me to play as kobolds.  In fact, even though I unchecked all the "Fort" checks for everything but kobolds, I, in fact, was given dwarves.

So how do I play as something besides dwarves or gnomes?  (Gnomes appear to be the default.)
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Different Civs - How To Start Playing?
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 03:10:44 pm »

I know, it just doesn't show any kobold civs.  Just succubi and dwarves.

Edit: I tried it again, with a smaller world and very short worldgen, just to make it faster.  I am only able to play as succubi.  But I didn't even allow succubi to be active!  Something's wrong here!

Edit: I enabled every civ possible to exist, and all that were possible to play in fort mode, I enabled for that.  I genned a large world to hold them all.  I can play as gnomes, succubi, or dwarves.

Edit: Large world, very short history, only normal civs and such, only kobolds enabled for fort mode, only dwarves and succubi actually able to be played.  Repeat: No Succubi Enabled, yet they still exist!  Am I correct in assuming that when I change a setting before I start up the real DF window, that setting is in effect when I make a worldgen?  Or is there some sort of "save setting" button?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 03:25:06 pm by jwoodward48df »
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 03:22:06 pm »

reborn or stable version?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 03:31:21 pm »

Ummm...  It says version 2.6.0.0?  Oh, I see it.  Reborn.  Should I try stable, see if that works?
Sigtext!

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 03:33:35 pm »

Ummm...  It says version 2.6.0.0?  Oh, I see it.  Reborn.  Should I try stable, see if that works?

Reborn is in early stages of development (version 0.006).  I don't know for sure, but you're probably seeing all the races that exist there.  Embarks as all races will work properly in the stable version.

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=5315
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 03:36:27 pm by smakemupagus »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 03:37:00 pm »

So where do I get the stable version?  I can only see Reborn on this forum, I think?

Edit: Wait, there it is.  But it's in .7z, and I can't open that.  I guess I'll just stick to vanilla for now.  I've always felt like the universe was against me playing as kobolds.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 03:39:11 pm by jwoodward48df »
Sigtext!

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 04:04:33 pm »

download 7Zip,it free.
and unless it got changed while i wasnt looking,Kobolds have their Default_Site as Cave,which prevents them from showing up on the Civ list,just change it to City.
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 02:16:37 am »

Civs are wiped out easily on reborn, if you can't get your desired race, you can try a shorter history.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 12:06:05 pm »

download 7Zip,it free.
and unless it got changed while i wasnt looking,Kobolds have their Default_Site as Cave,which prevents them from showing up on the Civ list,just change it to City.
It was changed. In Masterwork they have towns.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 05:51:23 am »

I have reborn and had no issues with getting kobold city as playable. But i usually use short histories also (30years or less).

My guess in your world is that megabeasts destroyed them.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.