Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Valkyrie - Suggestion and Discussion Thread  (Read 5166 times)

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Valkyrie - Suggestion and Discussion Thread
« on: August 16, 2015, 03:32:52 pm »

Hello!

After some time away from Bay12, I decided Id take a whack at adding a new playable race to MDF, The Valkyrie.

The Valkyrie are intended to be an Immortal race of Warriors,with a preference for light weapons and armor (speed over strength). Due to being a Female only race, new fortress members will be acquired by summoning them from Valhalla

a list of planned features will be on the next post once i grab my notes.

*Edit: If anyone has any suggestions,id love to hear them
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 11:26:21 am by Isngrim »
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Valkyrie - Suggestion and Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 03:33:17 pm »

Notes/Features:
Buildings-
Valhalla Gate:Allows the Summoning of new Valkyrie,as well as Einherjar, who will fight for you for a month before evaporating.I was thinking of basing this off how many sentient enemies you defeat- (kill 10 Female enemies,and you can summon 1-2 Valkyrie,Kill 10 Male enemies and you can summon 5 Valhallan Warriors)

Rúnatýr Alter (outside only maybe?): here is where you can turn the corpses of your enemies into the items needed to summon Einherjar and Valkyrie,it will also act in a similar fashion as the dwarven archaeologist,producing runes

Circle of Binding (I'd like to come up with a different name): Allows the creation of "Living Weapons" which become stronger or weaker depending on the wielders skill/willpower.not sure what requirements to have for the reactions yet though

Weapons:
Estocs-done
Spears-done
Rapiers-done
longswords/war axes/shortswords/bows,-done

Light Armor

Pets-

Fell Raven- Vermin Hunter,Trainable
Wolves
Guardian Runestone- Works similar to the old Dwarven Turrets,but debuffs enemies.

the Valkyrie themselves will get stronger as they age with buffs every 20 years or so
There's more,ill add it in a bit
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 11:27:10 am by Isngrim »
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 11:52:33 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but arent the Valhallan Warriors you talk of called Einherjar?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Einherjar
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 01:47:05 am »

Yes,i was going for a simplified name,so people without any knowledge of Norse mythology would know what they were without looking to wikipedia.

Got a system for summoning new fortress members based on kills: Corpses are brought to a workshop,and then they are resurrected,transformed into a temporary creature,which dies leaving an item corpse Rune tool.

also the basic weapons are done and im started planning out their upgrades,any ideas would be appreciated .

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 02:53:14 am »

Civ member item corpses are still treated as corpses by the game and will be buried, not used in reactions.

Maybe it would be nice to use actual norse mythology names, because then the people that dont know about it can learn. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Lottanubs

• Bay Watcher
  • [DF_JOKE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 06:52:55 am »

I second Meph, if you're passionate about Norse mythology this civ is a good opportunity to teach us some stuff :)

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 09:21:09 am »

Civ member item corpses are still treated as corpses by the game and will be buried, not used in reactions.

Maybe it would be nice to use actual norse mythology names, because then the people that dont know about it can learn. ;)
its only going to be invaders and the odd theif, the Valkyrie wont be coming back from the dead.
I second Meph, if you're passionate about Norse mythology this civ is a good opportunity to teach us some stuff :)
2 people are enough for me! Thanks i liked the Old Norse names my self,if enough people don't like it we can add a gui option later too, i would imagine.

New Workshop: Rúnatýr Alter: this is the workshop in which you can "lead the fallen to Valhalla" (turn corpses of invading sentient creatures into itemcorpses), as well as process Fossils/Relics/Treasure,to get more runes. this way your population isn't to stagnant if you dont get invaders.

Edit* Should i create a little "encyclopedia" of the more obscure references to Norse myth i make?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 10:02:31 pm by Isngrim »

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 11:37:58 am »

Here is the Plan for the Living weapon system:

Ill be using a Longsword as an example

Every 5 sword skill levels of the wielder will cause the sword to  upgrade.

If the Wielder of the weapon has Willpower that is below the Valkyries Average willpower the will get debuffs to speed and discipline(or strength),about average will have little to no debuffs,and above average will give you bonuses

Dabbling- the "Living" Longsword is no different than a normal,except a  small buff or debuff based on the users willpower
Proficient-the Longsword gets a larger contact area for edged attacks,and slightly larger buffs/debuffs
Accomplished-the longsword gets a smaller contact area for piercing attacks,and a larger buff/debuff
Legendary- slightly higher velocity for attacks,and a larger buff/debuff

Each Type of living weapon will have a different set of improvements,the Estoc for instance lacks an edged slashing attack so will get a bonus to prep and recovery time i think,and war axes might become easier to duel wield.

Duel wielding 2 living weapons will require higher will power to prevent Debuffs

Hopefully this all seems balanced enough,looking forward to a bit of feedback on the idea
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 12:39:22 pm by Isngrim »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 10:33:40 pm »

Good luck with your mod!  That sounds like some tricksy Dfhack work you have ahead.

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 12:32:08 am »

Yes, I've had a headache all day  :),gonna read Ringworld a bit then go to bed,then back to putting it all together.

Lottanubs

• Bay Watcher
  • [DF_JOKE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 07:49:11 am »

Edit* Should i create a little "encyclopedia" of the more obscure references to Norse myth i make?

Sure, I'm sure a nice little Word document could do a lot of good. It could also have a little breakdown of the workshops and stuff, like the Masterwork manual.

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 12:17:52 pm »

civ member summoning is done,but im going to be putting this mod on hold for a week or two,im at a bit of a loss for ideas (and full of ideas for a different mod) so im going to take my mind off this one for a bit.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 09:38:19 am by Isngrim »

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 09:26:43 pm »

Each Type of living weapon will have a different set of improvements,the Estoc for instance lacks an edged slashing attack so will get a bonus to prep and recovery time i think,and war axes might become easier to duel wield.

Duel wielding 2 living weapons will require higher will power to prevent Debuffs

Hopefully this all seems balanced enough,looking forward to a bit of feedback on the idea
Dual wielding, doesn't really work.
Unless you actually meant duel wielding in which case I'm really not sure how you're going to be applying bonuses exclusively to 1v1 preplanned fights, but it sounds interesting. Hehehehe.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 10:44:07 pm »

I was under the impression that 40.xx combat allowed dual wielding.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2015, 01:00:30 am »

I was under the impression that 40.xx combat allowed dual wielding.

Yes, but much like in real life it doesn't offer real practical benefits like you might think. (Unless you can flag weapons with independent multiattacking like you can with limbs.)
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.
Pages: [1] 2 3