Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Valkyrie - Suggestion and Discussion Thread  (Read 5168 times)

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Valkyrie - Suggestion and Discussion Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2015, 11:17:39 am »

Yes you can:http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Weapon_token,i was worried i added something usless (though maybe i should do some testing anyways).you do lose some blocking with a shield when dual wielding,but i planed on having the Valkyrie learn dodge a bit faster than average,because they lack high tier metals,and they dont have much in the way of armor either.
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2015, 11:21:58 am »

I dont really see how the weapon tokens would affect dual-wielding in any way that you describe or plan to use.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2015, 03:21:03 pm »

as i understand it (which may be way off) ATTACK_FLAG_INDEPENDENT_MULTIATTACK would allow the weilder to attack at the same time with 2 weapons (with the tag) with no penalties
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2015, 07:40:58 pm »

Yeah, my best guess is that that tag is for the three prongs of a trident or the nine strands on a cat-o-nine.  Just based on nothing but my intuition for how the raws & the game work (like... that there's not really any dual wielding), so feel free to disregard.

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2015, 08:27:36 pm »

ill leave it out then (at least tell im certain),its not a big deal and makes things simpler anyways.

my current problem is figuring out what industries they should have,without making them to similar to the orcs and the such.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 08:29:28 pm by Isngrim »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2015, 12:19:58 am »

Certainly a put-undeads-to-rest industry (cant have draugr running around), lots of runes, a winged-helmet workshop :P , a deep-forge that uses tree-roots and ores for hammers, a mead-hall, lots more and easier ways to make mead, a battle-horn thingy that gives AoE boosts, flying horses with 8 legs, a pool/fountain with water that gives knowledge but costs the user an eye (don't know how to do that without scripts, but hey), yggrasil a giant tree-workshop that gives slow but free wood, allows people to be hung-upside down for 9 days, sometimes they die, sometimes they become mages, a workshop that resurrects the dead, a wolf that grows larger every year (or with every kill), there is so much...
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 01:14:45 am »

thank you meph,i think my biggest problem was taking all the bits of norse mythology in my head and connecting the dots into stuff like that helped get the ball rolling

i think i will definitely add the wolf that grows bigger every year,but it may be very late game (so ill probably make it very powerful as well) it will require making Gliepnir (Fenrir's fetter),one of the materials needed for it was the Roots of a Mountain(Candy),just need to figure out how to get the other ingredients in game (shave dwarven women for the Beard of a Woman?),or change it to fit the game better.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2015, 05:27:49 am »

I'd make it an embark animal, because you need it early. After all it grows in time, doesnt make sense to make it a end-game creature.

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2015, 08:41:59 am »

yea,thats a good point...
modding df seems to be one of those things that i shouldn't do in the middle of the night,i accidentally added a second set of body details,so they spawned wearing two sets of clothes

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2015, 09:12:32 am »

yea,thats a good point...
modding df seems to be one of those things that i shouldn't do in the middle of the night,i accidentally added a second set of body details,so they spawned wearing two sets of clothes
Modding DF should only be done after 3am, that's when all the good ideas come out. :P

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2015, 04:42:30 pm »

turns out living weapons arent done,i thought i had put the 1st tier weapon in to the test reaction i made,but i put the 2nd tier,so when the valkyrie equipped them i thought it worked..im starting to think DFhack hates me :(.im going to postpone living weapons for a bit and do some of the workshops.

im also thinking of adding a gem called Yggdrasil root,which will be rare but available on every embark (hopefully) and a requirement for building a workshop: Mimir's well which will may take 3 roots (one if they turn out to be to rare),it will come in handy in a few other shops as well.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2015, 09:22:03 am »

If multi-attack allows multiple surfaces on a weapon to contact an enemy, you could kludge "dual-wielding" by adding large, 2-handed "pairs of blades" which are modeled as a single-weapon but fluffed as two weapons.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2015, 09:38:28 am »

This has been done a lot, with "a pair of X" weapons, or the mixed weapons the orcs use "pistol and dagger" etc. Lots of examples in the orcs weapons file.

Emperor

• Bay Watcher
  • Time is fleeting.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2015, 10:23:49 am »

This has been done a lot, with "a pair of X" weapons, or the mixed weapons the orcs use "pistol and dagger" etc. Lots of examples in the orcs weapons file.

These were fun to use, especially when my corsairs missed a point-blank shot.

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2015, 05:15:43 pm »

yea,i dont plan on adding those,Ill leave them to the Uruk.

im not certain i like the idea of free wood meph,it seems sill y as easy as it is to get wood in 40.xx,and i hadnt intended for the valkyrie to have mages,we already have succubi,kobold,orcs,and warlocks with magic,so...
i like your idea for a deep forge meph,tried to find a forge with a name in the norse myths,but failed.

Planned reactions:

Deep Forge-

a set of reactions that take Yggdrasil roots and ore to make legendary weapons (im going to avoid announcing the names of these weapons untill the mod is finished,id like the player to be pleasantly surprised),and the player will only be able to make one of each weapon per fort,when i start working on living weapons again,i will make these the final evolution of the living weapons.

a set of reactions that turn ore into sets of armor,or weapons.the Valkyrie aren't exceptional metalsmiths so they are not as efficient as dwarves.

Mimir's Pool-

will allow temporary upgrades to skills and reactions,but at the cost of the workers eyesight for between a months to a year

temporary boost to weapon skills will last for a month or more,but afterwards the valkyrie/einharjer will go blind for a few months

reactions to turn the higher grade metals into bars as well as some of the alloys can be added to the deep forge for a short time, blinding the worker.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 05:37:48 pm by Isngrim »
Pages: 1 [2] 3