Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Valkyrie - Suggestion and Discussion Thread  (Read 5169 times)

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: Valkyrie - Suggestion and Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2015, 05:34:56 pm »

If multi-attack allows multiple surfaces on a weapon to contact an enemy, you could kludge "dual-wielding" by adding large, 2-handed "pairs of blades" which are modeled as a single-weapon but fluffed as two weapons.
You wouldn't be able to multiattack with them. Think of it like scratching and punching, if you punch with your right hand in adventurer mode and select multi attack, then when you next go to attack, the scratch with your right hand option will be gone. Same for weapons, and there's no token to indicate that different parts of the same item are seperate so it imagines it like you're punching and you can't do two different attacks with the same thing at once.

However the [ATTACK_FLAG_INDEPENDENT_MULTIATTACK] might actually work when wielding two weapons, because then it's like the heads of a hydra. You can already multiattack with multiple weapons, just like you can multiattack with multiple hydra heads, so then adding independant multiattack would remove/reduce(?) the penalty. My main concern with dual wielding was that in the past dwarves would basically use their second weapon like a shield. If you gave them a copper axe and a masterwork steel axe and they picked up the copper one first then they'd attack with the copper axe far more often than the steel axe because the dwarven mind doesn't understand the concept of dual wielding and doesn't register the second weapon as a weapon. However, with hydras they almost always multiattack with multiple heads because they can with no penalty, so with that new token it might allow dwarves to actually use their second weapon regularly as they'd almost always multiattack. I don't think any testing has been done though it'd be pretty easy in fact I'm going to go do it right now.

EDIT:I tested it, and all I can really say is it's weird. I put that token on axes, and they were using both axes regularly and there might have been some multiattacks but I couldn't tell because most of the attacks were being blocked. However I also tried giving them two swords and they also seemed to use both interchangably and both times when I controlled a dwarf myself and tried a multiattack it seemed to be about the same effectiveness. I don't know.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 05:45:55 pm by vjmdhzgr »
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Isngrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Valkyrie - Suggestion and Discussion Thread
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2015, 11:58:28 am »

If multi-attack allows multiple surfaces on a weapon to contact an enemy, you could kludge "dual-wielding" by adding large, 2-handed "pairs of blades" which are modeled as a single-weapon but fluffed as two weapons.
You wouldn't be able to multiattack with them. Think of it like scratching and punching, if you punch with your right hand in adventurer mode and select multi attack, then when you next go to attack, the scratch with your right hand option will be gone. Same for weapons, and there's no token to indicate that different parts of the same item are seperate so it imagines it like you're punching and you can't do two different attacks with the same thing at once.

However the [ATTACK_FLAG_INDEPENDENT_MULTIATTACK] might actually work when wielding two weapons, because then it's like the heads of a hydra. You can already multiattack with multiple weapons, just like you can multiattack with multiple hydra heads, so then adding independant multiattack would remove/reduce(?) the penalty. My main concern with dual wielding was that in the past dwarves would basically use their second weapon like a shield. If you gave them a copper axe and a masterwork steel axe and they picked up the copper one first then they'd attack with the copper axe far more often than the steel axe because the dwarven mind doesn't understand the concept of dual wielding and doesn't register the second weapon as a weapon. However, with hydras they almost always multiattack with multiple heads because they can with no penalty, so with that new token it might allow dwarves to actually use their second weapon regularly as they'd almost always multiattack. I don't think any testing has been done though it'd be pretty easy in fact I'm going to go do it right now.

EDIT:I tested it, and all I can really say is it's weird. I put that token on axes, and they were using both axes regularly and there might have been some multiattacks but I couldn't tell because most of the attacks were being blocked. However I also tried giving them two swords and they also seemed to use both interchangably and both times when I controlled a dwarf myself and tried a multiattack it seemed to be about the same effectiveness. I don't know.

thanks for the testing.

meph,do you have any problems with me adding reaction classes to the different ores?id rather not have 4 reactions using different iron ore,to make the same item. Edit* just realized i can use the [METAL_ORE: ] token to do the same thing without extra work,though a reaction_class and HAS_ITEM_REACTION_PRODUCT could let you simplify the ore processor

also thanks to Max™, and his artifake script,the unique legendary weapons will be actual artifacts.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 12:48:09 pm by Isngrim »
08:43 PM The wild animals and insects sang a merry tune and the trees performed a dance. I know you're trying to cheer me up, Vishnu, but that was actually a bit creepy.-Rhons
Pages: 1 2 [3]