Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to manage garbage dumping?  (Read 1645 times)

xcorps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to manage garbage dumping?
« on: August 15, 2015, 07:18:42 pm »

I have set a refuse stockpile in a suitable location that doesn't cause miasma and is only a few (about 10) squares from an activity zone for dumping into magma. It receives from the butchers refuse stockpile so that I don't end up with body parts in my quantum stockpiles on the same level.

The problem I'm having is that occasionally when I designate items to be dumped into a quantum stockpile, they get tossed into the magma instead. For instance, I have a 12x12 mechanics room that has a large stockpile, a shop, and a quantum stockpile. It's one z level above the magma dump. When I designated the mechanisms in the stockpile for dumping into the quantum stockpile, some of them ended up in the magma. The only reason I noticed is because I got the masterwork lost notice. I also lost a little stone this way, but I need to be careful about this. I'm trying a locked door in front of the magma pit, but it's tedious as hell monitoring the refuse pile while I butcher off my horses.

Any help on this? I thought at first that the distance from the mechanisms was shorter in a crows flight across z levels, but that is not the case. The mechanics quantum stockpile is only 2 tiles from the mechanism stockpile, and the dump zone into the lava is 1 down and about 12 away from the closest point.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to manage garbage dumping?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 08:10:08 pm »

I don't use QSPs.... but I believe the pathing calculations center around where the dorf is WEN THE JOB IS ASSIGNED.  So if a dorf is closer to the magma dump than the QSP dump when they get tagged for hte job, they might use it instead?  which one is further away from the main stairwell?

Otherwise, you might want to use bridges/hatches to manually dump trash into lava.  You can double check to reclaim cargo if need be.  Personally, I just never use QSP due to the exploitative nature of them, so my magma dump is my only garbage dump. 

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 01:31:59 am »

Your description is somewhat confusing, as a QS uses the stockpile mechanics, not the dumping mechanics. A QS uses a minecart dumping track stop with a route stop set to take from one or more stockpiles, and a links only stockpile in the mine cart dumping tile.
Thus, my recommendation is to use QS for most things, and dumping only for select clearing.
You can e.g. place the mine cart of a QS on the edge of the magma to get stuff dumped there. Typically the feeder stockpile is adjacent to the mine cart, but it doesn't have to be, and it's also possible to have more than one feeder stockpile.
It's a bit of work to set up QS, but they're very convenient and I believe they also are beneficial for the FPS. Control of what goes into which QS is controlled by the stockpile settings of the feeder stockpiles, together with the route stop settings (where the route stop normally can be given broader categories than the feeder, since the feeder throttles the supply, e.g. only Gabbro in the feeder stockpile, but just all kinds of stone in the route stop settings. The QS target stockpile generally is given the same settings as the route stop one, for the same reason).

xcorps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 07:11:51 pm »

I see. I was under the impression that a QS was just a dump zone and you claimed the rock/gems etc as needed.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 07:25:58 pm »

That is one method of creating a QS, another is abuse of minecart mechanics, and another uses dump zones situated above a single-tile stockpile for the materials marked for dumping.  There are lots of ways to make them really.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 06:15:03 am »

If you designate a dump zone next to a pit or hole, dwarves will dump your stuff down the hole.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 06:34:02 am »

Dumping next to a hole means dumping into the hole is the main thing to understand and it is not that intuitive, indeed.

Best practice would be

1) no line of sight for dwarves
2) deep enough so miasma can not rise
3) safe from living garbage (undead)
4) optional magma flooding (directly dumping into magma means bad thoughts each time you dump worn out socks, they rot fast without bad thoughts, however) also avoids any magma mist complications right away
5) recovery option (mistakes happen)
6) one central system with multiple access points

I don't use dumping for moving around items (other than into garbage), just when I work around item-in-bin bugs, but you can easily disable your whole central garbage collection system by locking a few access doors when needed.