Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No Bones?  (Read 702 times)

TaintedWalrus

• Escaped Lunatic
  • I am a walrus
    • View Profile
No Bones?
« on: August 16, 2015, 04:32:13 pm »

Well to start things off I found that there was a Troll in my cave and as I have never killed a troll before I thought why not? So my dwarfs murdered the big Troll and I was all ready to make crafts out of troll bones and what not, but I found no bones. I'm pretty newbie so I really have no idea what is going on. Also I might add that there is a Mutilated Troll Corpse... If that helps.
-The Walrus

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
Re: No Bones?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 06:47:56 pm »

Killed creatures have to be butchered to produce bones. An unbutchered corpse will eventually rot into a "skeleton", which still has to be processed by a butcher to produce bones, unless the corpse got torn apart at the time of death (e.g. if it got cut up by a blade trap or fell off a high cliff.)

Trolls are sentient (they have intelligence), and Dwarven culture prohibits butchering sentient creatures, so you can't easily use troll bones unless you kill a troll in a manner that causes its body to break apart. The same applies to goblins, elves, and many other fantastical creatures in the game.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 06:49:52 pm by Niyazov »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 02:19:19 am »

As Niyazov, Trolls are "sentient" and so they're ethically forbidden from being butchered. Interestingly enough, this ethic limit does not stop dwarves from using bones from "sentient" creatures if they happen to become available without butchering (limbs seem to decay into free bones, for instance). I've just had the wicked delight of selling elf bone greaves, gauntlets, and helmets to the elves, for instance (the elven raw materials came from an undead invasion force). Dwarves seem to balk at using dwarven bones, though.
"Sentient" creatures include trolls, ogres (both kinds), gorlaks, gremlins, reachers, molemarians, troglodytes, as well as "regular" (semi)civilized races. Oh, animal people are included as well, as are various semi megabeast giants (ettins, giants, cyclops, etc) and (rather obviously) were creatures.
Minor spoiler
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Check the wiki for creatures when in doubt.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 02:46:55 am »

Reacher can be butchered.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 03:33:27 am »

You want troll bones? You gotta split the body up when its alive, using cutting weapons e.g. swords and axes, halberds maybe, even picks, or traps with cutting edges like rotating saw blades, giant axes. Blunt or stabbing weapons can do this occasionally, but far less well.
One wheel short of a wagon

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 04:50:57 am »

Hm, it seems I was mistaken concerning Reachers. Thanks for correcting that, §k!

I just put this to the test, and §k was indeed correct. I killed a captured Reacher (instead of throwing it into magma, as I had intended originally). The hauler removing the body didn't feel anything about it, the butcher did butcher it and produce a skin (and other products).
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 06:22:28 am by PatrikLundell »

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 04:48:04 pm »

Reachers are not flagged as sentient; they are described as humanoid, but that's apparently only in the same sense that an orangutan is "humanoid".