Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: D&D 5e: Mass Combat Playtest: The Kingdom of Castile. IC.  (Read 3084 times)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: Mass Combat Playtest: The Kingdom of Castile. IC.
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 10:56:41 pm »

Sara picks Nurit.
Nurit smiles inwardly, assuring Sara that "You've made a good choice, mi'גברת."
Action: Lady Brianna also has some small business before she is ready to leave, looking for a suitable bodyguard to keep her safe on the frontline.
Brianna finds three likely candidates:
  • A Dwarf named Fechín MacMathan, a big, burly Irishman. He wields "Only me fists, lassie," and is more than a little tipsy.
  • A Halfling named Baltasar, a lithe Portuguese man. There are two swords on his belt, and his Castilian is poor.
  • A Halfling named Hilaria, a bulky, for a halfling, Basque woman. She is clad in heavy armor that seems to shine with more than the light of the sun.
All request a fee of 30 GP to join you. They will act as a Solo that will accompany you on the field of battle.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2015, 01:44:17 pm »

There were two other things Gabieta looked for:
A musician who, with their instrument, could send signals and bolster the hearts of men (i.e. a bard)

A dependable sergeant to help train and keep the troops in line.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2015, 01:49:23 pm »

• A Halfling named Hilaria, a bulky, for a halfling, Basque woman. She is clad in heavy armor that seems to shine with more than the light of the sun.
Action: Hiring^
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2015, 05:06:18 pm »

((Nothing to see, accidental post. Move along.))

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2015, 01:46:31 am »

There were two other things Gabieta looked for:
A musician who, with their instrument, could send signals and bolster the hearts of men (i.e. a bard)

A dependable sergeant to help train and keep the troops in line.

For the position of musician, Gabieta finds three promising candidates.

Osoro, a halfling herald of the royal court, looking for adventure. Bardic Inspiration, d6, only applies to Solos.
Estefania, a half-French, half-Castilian half-elf woman. She's an entertainer, traveling from inn to inn, plying her trade. Song of Rest, d6.
Ramón, a halfling with a magical standard that inspires the hearts of your troops. Bardic Inspiration, d6, only applies to Stands.

They all ask for 15 GP to join you.

As for sergeant, there are another three options.

Eva, a halfling woman, whose military career came to a halt after she was crippled in a cavalry accident. She is still capable of training troops, however. Stands gain 50% more XP.
Ines, a halfling woman, the leader of a now disbanded mercenary company, skilled in commanding troops. Takes command of a Unit.
An oriental tactician with blue-tinged skin who goes by Song and constantly quotes long dead philosophers. Solos (including PCs) gain 50% more XP.

They each charge a fee of 20 GP to fight for you.

Action: Hiring^
She beats her shield and mace together, declaring "May God shine upon His glory upon us!"

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2015, 07:28:36 am »

Hire Ramon, Eva, and Song
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2015, 12:23:02 am »

Hire Ramon, Eva, and Song
Ramon hefts his standard, and a glorious glow streams forth from it, and the blank white canvas that it previously displayed morphs into a shield banner, with white columns on a red field. "The banner knows what flag to fly, ma'am."

Eva beams at being chosen, and awkwardly but vigorously shakes your hand, her crutches getting in the way.

Song strokes his short goatee, and quotes "'Thus, though we have heard of stupid haste in war, cleverness has never been seen associated with long delays.'"

Spoiler: The Banner (click to show/hide)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2015, 12:48:07 am »

You begin the march south with high morale. Gabieta has taken lead of the "Heavy Hitters", after deeming herself best to command it, thanks to Ramon. Discipline among them is strong, unlike the 'Fanatics' that Sara volunteered to lead. Brianna took leadership over the cavalry, since she established it, and has some decent control over it. Roger took the reins of the flank, and the siege weaponry, while Antonio decided to ride up with the supply caravans and the various companions the party hired in Toledo.

You travel south by road for most of the way, but at some points, you are forced to travel cross country, especially as you approach the border, due to lack of serviceable roads and the desire to camouflage your movements. On the sixth day of travel, you begin to approach the border. Settlements become further apart and the peasants frightful of your force as it marches through the countryside. The scouts report that you can slip across the border unnoticed through a valley between two green hills where sheep graze. Their shepherds are not going to report to anyone, the scouts say.

The valley is wide, but the sides are steep. A small streambed runs along the bottom of the valley, which impedes movement somewhat, so the army splits along its length as it descends into the valley. The valley slowly narrows, and the sides quickly incline into sheer cliffs. Piles of small boulders clump up at their feet. A scout signals that they've seen something suspicious, and is heading to check it out. Within moments, the force is on full-alert, as this is the first threat seen so close to enemy territory.

And so, the army is not taken by surprise when, suddenly, a few piles of rocks surrounding the party burst open to expel hordes of giant insects; centipedes, spiders, wasps and scorpions.

Map.

Spoiler: Initiative (click to show/hide)
It is Brianna's turn.
Spoiler: Objectives (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Terrain features (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Party Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Army Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Enemy Status (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 01:00:39 am by My Name is Immaterial »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2015, 12:01:36 pm »

"Well, the friendly natives of Spain have come to greet us." Brianna commented dryly to her subordinates, as the chittering, skittering hordes rushed toward them.

((OOC: Waiting for fancy army information before progressing my turn. Also, do we have plot time to discuss plans among ourselves, or is this pretty much just an ambush we have to deal with by ourselves?))
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2015, 02:16:01 am »

((OOC: Waiting for fancy army information before progressing my turn. Also, do we have plot time to discuss plans among ourselves, or is this pretty much just an ambush we have to deal with by ourselves?))
You can shout out plans among yourself, but you can be overheard. In this case, it probably doesn't matter, since you're fighting insects.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2015, 02:39:40 am »

"Combat is no place for a baggage train! I'll lead them out of the way before returning to join you.  If you could keep their escape clear it'd be appreciated!"

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2015, 05:36:08 pm »

Action: Lead my cavalry and such, to the South side of the river! Form up for an attack on the giant centipedes!

Pages: 1 [2]