Like so.
- 0 (0%)
You don't.
- 3 (30%)
lol noob u suck
- 7 (70%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: D&D 5e: Mass Combat Playtest: The Kingdom of Castile. OOC. 5/6  (Read 14292 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: Mass Combat Interest Check
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2015, 02:42:40 pm »

Quadra post! Here's my sheet.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=144440 <--
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 03:14:10 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2015, 03:53:44 pm »

Is there some kind of pistol available yet? A gunpowder weapon that can be used one handed basically.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2015, 03:58:27 pm »

Dude, they just invited triggers :P

I don't think you will be dual wielding revolvers in this game.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2015, 04:14:03 pm »

I was thinking more of the kind of thing that pirates use, they would have a brace of single shot pistols, so they could fire one, then pull out another to fire again.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2015, 04:24:14 pm »

I dunno, wikipedia says it was the late 1400's before they began to standardize gunpowder in the way it was safe enough to use on a mass scale, the advent of the mid-1500's where guns truly began to be used on a mass scale. The timeframe of this game is late 1400's. I expect an actual hand pistol is beyond the currently era technologically, or any one-handed gunpowder firearm.

This is literally the last era of martial supremacy, you know, before they get outdated. Perfect for a campaign!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2015, 04:38:03 pm »

Crossbows and their mechanisms had been around for a long, long time. Pretty sure they could count as triggers, because the mechanism behind them isn't that different.

Revolver-style matchlocks did exist in 1500s+, but as with most of these things, they never saw mass production.

Matchlock pistols did exist, certainly, and were even integrated with other pieces of gear.

Spoiler: Like shields (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Or... crossbows? (click to show/hide)

While these are all slightly later than what I guess the time frame of the game to be, it wouldn't be that much of a stretch.

A matchlock pistol is no different to a matchlock rifle, except one's a bit smaller. They may not be widely available, because there's no a huge amount of point, but I'm sure they can exist.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2015, 04:43:14 pm »

I meant they just put triggers on 'guns', but all good points made.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2015, 04:54:50 pm »

1450-1550 is still a bit too early for revolving cylinder firearms
Spoiler: like this matchlock (click to show/hide)
Which showed up around 1580 or so.

I am curious if magic is a thing. MNiI never said it wasn't, but I don't remember him answering when you asked, Dwarman.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2015, 04:57:47 pm »

Just did a little reasearch and yeah, 1 handed pistols and matchlocks were available at the time. If you look here, there are references to the Janissary Corps from the Ottomans using matchlocks in the 1440's, which they got from Hungary.So they definitely exist. Plus, you know, matchlock muskets being one of the initial weapons available in the OP.

But again, what I'm interested is basically a single shot pistol, which is definitely available, if not as powerful as the hand cannon and musket.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2015, 07:43:56 pm »

Huh, you should have told me about this. :P
Well, I would have, but I'm somewhat embarrassed to have not finished started my sheet for your Far West game. :P
Is there magic in this setting? I know the answer is probably yes, but I want to make sure since you are going into a more realistic (relatively) setting.
That is an interesting question. Short answer: Yes. It's a standard high magic setting.
Long answer: it wasn't, to start with. The  setting was intended to be post-magic, but my low magic explanation for why a PC can play the character with the mechanics of a wizard and the like don't work so well in a mass-combat game. It's a longer story than I can tell through my little phone keyboard.
Holy Gnoman Empire

*Shoots My Name is Immaterial for pun*
WORTH IT
*My Name is Immaterial bleeds out*
Btw, what do you think Russia could be in this setting? I'm thinking Shifter might be good-it would put the somewhere between the Siberian/Mongolian lineage (Centaurs, of course :P) that they roughly have now.
Oh, good question. Didn't think about Russia. Ya, Shifters make sense.
Is there some kind of pistol available yet? A gunpowder weapon that can be used one handed basically.
Sure. I'll put something together in the OP shortly.
Just did a little reasearch and yeah, 1 handed pistols and matchlocks were available at the time. If you look here, there are references to the Janissary Corps from the Ottomans using matchlocks in the 1440's, which they got from Hungary.So they definitely exist. Plus, you know, matchlock muskets being one of the initial weapons available in the OP.
Sure, they exist, but the main reason I didn't include them on the OP to start with was that I am pretty sure they hadn't made their way to Europe yet, since Europe was a total backwater, at least, in their 'mini-musket' form. I figure that it'll be something more like a smaller hand cannon.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2015, 08:07:58 pm »

Alright, this may be a stupid question, but how do I determine my skill numbers? I have Athletics, Acrobatics, Insight and Intimidation as my things. How do I figure out what number goes with them? I can't find any reference to that.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 5e: Mass Combat Playtest
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2015, 08:17:07 pm »

You add your Profficency Bonus to your Ability Modifier to determine your overall bonus in skills you have chosen. The rest of your skills are just based off of your Ability Modifiers. At this level, your Prof Bonus is +3.
And I've added the Hand Musket in the OP.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2015, 08:39:32 pm »

If anyone has extra time, It would be a great boon to my speed if someone were to post the stats for chain mail, morningstars and greatswords.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2015, 09:04:08 pm »

Chain mail:
75 gp
16 AC
13 Strength required to wear
Stealth at Disadvantage
55 lb.

Morningstar
15 gp
1d8 piecing
4 lb.

Greatsword
50 gp
2d6 slashing
6 lb.
Heavy, two-handed

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2015, 10:01:12 pm »

Quadra post! Here's my sheet.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=144440 <--
Dwarm, what program did you use to make that picture?

Also, Dwarfs are considered to have reached maturity at 50 years old. Considering they live 350 years on average. So 22 might be a tad young.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 10:27:17 pm by werty892 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14