Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Move calendar advancement to after site selection  (Read 3111 times)

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Move calendar advancement to after site selection
« on: August 17, 2015, 06:50:28 pm »

Pretty simple idea, instead of running time forward before an embark, run it forward after the embark has been prepared.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Move calendar advancement to after site selection
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 08:09:49 pm »

Yes, and the travel time can even depend on the distance (plus some base amount of time to represent getting ready, filing permits, tracking down the miner who got cold feet at the last minute, plotting the course, realizing all seven went On Break just as the wagon got ready, etc.).

The travel time can be displayed as the player is browsing embark locations.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 01:57:06 am »

What would happen if a necromancer builds a tower on the embark spot while you were travelling? Let the game crash? Send everyone frustratingly back to choose a new spot?
Seems that you're better off selecting a site which definitely exists than one which might not (at least until embarking in the middle of other sites is implemented).

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 05:03:00 am »

What would happen if a necromancer builds a tower on the embark spot while you were travelling? Let the game crash? Send everyone frustratingly back to choose a new spot?
Seems that you're better off selecting a site which definitely exists than one which might not (at least until embarking in the middle of other sites is implemented).
Don't let the necromancer build a tower there or force the player to redefine the embark within the region tile.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 03:55:28 am »

Not allowing a tower to be built would be interfering with the consistent world, so not a good idea. Forcing players to redefine start location would be just frustrating. Better off keeping the system as it is.

Having said that, in the future, when (if) embarking on other sites is implemented having your 7 fisherdwarves arrive at their new idyllic lake home ready to found a major port only to discover goblins arrived and set up camp just a couple of days before would be a most amusing (if rather short) tale to tell.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 04:22:01 am »

Let the 7 embarkees arrive and try and survive. *shrug*

Not all that different to unpausing and being surprised by a river full of alligators who eat your start.

Losing is fun.
This is a blank sig.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 02:54:13 pm »

Not allowing a tower to be built would be interfering with the consistent world, so not a good idea. Forcing players to redefine start location would be just frustrating. Better off keeping the system as it is.
There's no reason a tower needs to be built right where you planned to embark, and during the time it takes to get there. The tower could even be relocated instead.

Has Toady even stated he'll let us overlap sites? It sounds very difficult to do with the data sites store. I don't even know if resizing sites is planned. Increasing size is doable, but decreasing is way more complex.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 02:59:02 pm »

There's no reason a tower needs to be built right where you planned to embark, and during the time it takes to get there. The tower could even be relocated instead.

Has Toady even stated he'll let us overlap sites? It sounds very difficult to do with the data sites store. I don't even know if resizing sites is planned. Increasing size is doable, but decreasing is way more complex.
It's also a bit silly that a tower could even be built in two weeks.  Now, maybe there could be a necromancer and a bunch of animated corpses moving blocks into place when the Starting Seven arrive.  Very low-probability event, but a !!FUN!! one.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 03:01:35 pm »

How about running the calendar in the background while the player picks dwarf skills and equipment, assuming that the player isn't using a start template? That time is otherwise wasted.

NoCreativeNames

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 07:37:14 pm »

Maybe a necromancer that successfully drives the dwarves away might consider relocating, seeing as someone seems to have their eye on that area already. They'd leave behind a few undead of course, the reclaim party can't have it too easy.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 05:03:37 am by NoCreativeNames »

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 12:35:10 pm »

How about running the calendar in the background while the player picks dwarf skills and equipment, assuming that the player isn't using a start template? That time is otherwise wasted.
I don't know about you, but for me time skip is fairly slow. I don't want things to lag while I need to navigate menus.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 01:39:51 pm »

I don't know about you, but for me time skip is fairly slow. I don't want things to lag while I need to navigate menus.
It could be throttled for better performance over a longer time. I think variable trip times depending on factors like supply weight and distance might be more an issue.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 01:42:26 pm by Bumber »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 04:20:20 pm »

The game could at least run the minimum travel time (including the "setup" the best time).
Just got back, updating:

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 08:38:57 am »

The game could at least run the minimum travel time (including the "setup" the best time).
It might be possible for your dwarves to fail to make it to the site, depending on how embark scenarios are implemented. Or even just an interruption that gives control to the player during the travel could have issues with that.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 11:21:09 am »

It might be possible for your dwarves to fail to make it to the site, depending on how embark scenarios are implemented. Or even just an interruption that gives control to the player during the travel could have issues with that.
You have died of dysentery.
Just got back, updating:
Pages: [1] 2