Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Move calendar advancement to after site selection  (Read 3113 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Move calendar advancement to after site selection
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2015, 10:14:47 am »

The game could at least run the minimum travel time (including the "setup" the best time).
It might be possible for your dwarves to fail to make it to the site, depending on how embark scenarios are implemented. Or even just an interruption that gives control to the player during the travel could have issues with that.
You have died of dysentery.
Hire an Elven guide help you cross the river.

Lost 2 oxen.
Lost 12 plump helmet wine.
Ben has drowned.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2015, 09:58:06 am »

How about running the calendar in the background while the player picks dwarf skills and equipment, assuming that the player isn't using a start template? That time is otherwise wasted.
I don't know about you, but for me time skip is fairly slow. I don't want things to lag while I need to navigate menus.

Couldn't this be an opportunity to implement extremely crude and basic multithreading? Put the menus on one core and the calendar on another core. Almost nobody is running a single core machine any more, so lag shouldn't be an issue.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2015, 10:09:31 am »

How about running the calendar in the background while the player picks dwarf skills and equipment, assuming that the player isn't using a start template? That time is otherwise wasted.
I don't know about you, but for me time skip is fairly slow. I don't want things to lag while I need to navigate menus.

Couldn't this be an opportunity to implement extremely crude and basic multithreading? Put the menus on one core and the calendar on another core. Almost nobody is running a single core machine any more, so lag shouldn't be an issue.

My knowledge of multithreading consists of that it needs to be implemented from the ground up. To my knowledge you can't just plop in multicore support if the game is mid-development, though I may be wrong.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2015, 12:02:51 pm »

My knowledge of multithreading consists of that it needs to be implemented from the ground up. To my knowledge you can't just plop in multicore support if the game is mid-development, though I may be wrong.
You can drop it in mid-development.  Kind of like the way you can drop "submarine mode" into the middle of developing a space rocket.

That said, a helper app to advance the calendar might be do-able.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: 1 [2]