Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New player. Reborn or old? How to find embark biomes?  (Read 1377 times)

HerbalistRanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New player. Reborn or old? How to find embark biomes?
« on: August 18, 2015, 01:28:57 am »

I just started playing DF starting with Reborn. I can't bring myself to do vanilla without tileset and masterwork looks like nothing but improvement. I got to where I can build basic wells and win some battles but still hate werebeasts. one showed up same time as migrants last game enraging me so took them out of my new worldgen.
Been getting some crashes probly from switching back and forth from youtube tutorials while playing music on winamp.

Now I'm wondering should I be playing the old complete version? Is new vanilla content bigger and better or is the old masterwork far more content. I play as dwarves in fortress mode and will stick with them. I want more enemies to fight when if I ever get to late game but not technically harder. Bit scared of fortress defense options I don't know what those races are capable of. I fear the night.

About 70% of my time with the game has been torturing myself over finding good embark. Is there an easier way to find the 4 biome inclusive 3x3 embark? I may be just too picky about it but I want many civs good metals and much content in my experience.
Finding a location has been a nightmare is there a tool or something I can use with multiple biomes added in find

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New player. Reborn or old? How to find embark biomes?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 05:07:14 am »

In terms of functional gameplay, the biggest differences between 34.11 and 40.24 are the multi-tile trees and ability for creatures to climb. 40.24 also has a literal cornucopia of new foods, since a lot of trees and plants now have fruits and other edibles outside of straight harvesting the tile, as you would in the old Gather Plants mechanic. I would say multi-tile trees are mostly cosmetic (could be convenient, could be inconvenient), more and more accessible food is easier, and having to plan defenses around invaders that can climb being obviously an increase in difficulty. There are a couple other new functions in 40.24 as well, such as the ability for creatures in combat to flee, and at increased speeds (I noticed that even aggressive wildlife may do this).

I would probably recommend sticking with MDF6.2/34.11 since that is a more complete MDF experience; however, if you're only just starting to get the hang of DF, some of the complexities it adds may be confusing to pick up. Making steel, for example, is easier because iron veins can be found in any stone, and with research is made more efficient, but harder because it isn't done strictly in the smelter, and getting research started can be non-intuitive (and this is on top of the organization/planning and resource collection it takes to even get it started, in terms of dwarf-work - both steel smelting and research). It does have a bunch of options for Secret Fun (diseases, cults), but these can be turned off. On the other hand, MDF also has some things to make the game a bit easier, like a large variety of new metals that are mostly equivalent to copper, bronze, or steel, to varying degrees. (Specifically the "glass" metals, though they can require significant resource investment too.)

As for finding good embarks, well, that's still a problem for me. You can use the site finder to find things like multiple shallow and deep metals, flux, non-aquifer (presuming you don't just turn it off), river, etc but you'll still have to manually tab through the screens to check nearby civilizations and for elevation/cliffs. And it is not necessarily guaranteed that you'll find the metals you want, or at the depth you want. You can use dfhack's prospect to give you an estimate of the resources that will appear in your embark before you actually do so, but this can be tedious to use. you'll frequently find that the flux stone the site finder located is actually marble way down deep above the magma sea, and thus isn't particularly useful to start out with so you'll try to find another site. Shallow flux like limestone tends to also have more coal minerals, which is much more convenient than burning forests for your coal needs (even magma forges need coal for steel making).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 05:14:57 am by Niveras »

HerbalistRanger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 06:47:10 am »

Thank you Niveras thats just load of info I was looking for.
I havnt learned how to deal with not plump helmets and invasions yet so i'm gonna try the old version. I'm mostly worried about missing out on content that builds up interesting story.

Also if a builder reads this I love this mod. Despite being new to DF I can tell from minecraft modding this is a glorious load of content and options. Very grateful. Much appreciation.

Been trying to remember my crashes. I got a few from trying to place buildings where they shouldnt be such as a well or trade depot. Twice from placing buildings I think over rocks not hauled yet. DF doesnt seem to like messing around when placing buildings. These crashes becoming less common as I learn how to play as teh game intends. Hope this reads well its way past time I sleep. Love this game so much I can just think about it for hours.

Lottanubs

• Bay Watcher
  • [DF_JOKE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 07:44:44 am »

I'm mostly worried about missing out on content that builds up interesting story.

I know the feel, I'm the same, especially with Minecraft; I need all the mods ever. But if you're having trouble with vanilla DF stuff, it might be better to focus on vanilla stuff before getting into the meat of Masterwork. If you can regularly meet demand for food, drink, and safety, then it'll be so much easier to have some ☼!fun!☼

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 09:55:52 am »

Masterwork (while it brings a lot of interesting challenges) is more forgiving than vanilla in terms of embark site for many reasons.  Alternate ways to get metal, alternate industries entirely that allow you to bypass shortages, methods to craft e.g. anvils from scratch, iron found readily in all biomes.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:58:04 am by smakemupagus »