Dwarf Fortress > DF Modding

Questions regarding enemies

(1/2) > >>

tahu16:
Hello, I would like to ‼buff‼ some enemies, please help me! (I warn you: I have no modding experience)

1)How can I modify the elf armor and weapons to be more like steel?
2)How can I (if it is possible at all) force goblins to gain exp. faster? (thus the sieges would bring more stronger goblins)
3)How can I force goblins to be as armored as possible? Usually they just wear 2 or 3 random pieces of armor, which is not enough.

kiwiphoenix:
1) Tricky. Vanilla elves use whatever wood is available to them...
You could make a tree with steel-like wood, and set it to grow (with a low frequency) in forest biomes - the elves would be likely to have at least one available in their lands, which would add it to the list they draw from when making weapons and armour. Most would still have flimsy crap, but the odd warrior here or there would pack a nasty surprise.
Other races would also be able to use this wood unless you made it GOOD - only elves can live in good regions by default. Of course, only elves who happened to settle in such regions would have access to improved weapons/armour.

A more universal solution would be to straight-up give them steel - if they have the reaction for it, they can make it. If that feels like a cop-out, you could make a whole new metal that never occurs in nature, and give it to them exclusively. A bit of a departure from Vanilla, but if you want harder elves, this is by far the more reliable way to go about it.

2) You can use SKILL_LEARN_RATE(S) to make goblins learn some or all skills faster. NATURAL_SKILL can also be used to set a universal minimum skill level - good for ensuring a certain baseline level of threat, and easily tweakable. Natural skills also have the side effect of biasing people towards using particular weapons - characters seem to use the weapon they are most familiar with, and the majority of historical figs never gain much weapon skill, which would leave their natural skill dominant when they became a soldier and had their standard-issue weapon materialise out of thin air.

3) Invaders and randomly-genned soldiers, unfortunately, are hardcoded to try and wear one piece of headgear and one piece of body armour, strongly biased by ARMORLEVEL (descending order) and material (metal if possible). In Vanilla terms, this means virtually everyone is biased towards wearing a helm and breastplate, randomly made from the metals available to their civ.
It's pretty much impossible to make DF armour peoples' hand and feet, but you could give goblins a sort of one-piece armour suit, which reached down to their wrists and ankles. Make it [ARMORLEVEL: 3] and use it to replace breastplates in the goblin entity. Then virtually every goblin invader should be armoured on 95% of their body. You'd probably want to pair this with some natural Armour User skill, and be aware that without further tweaking, this armour can and will be made from copper (which kind of defeats the purpose).

tahu16:
Thank you for this detailed answer! I have only one two more questions: would giving steel to goblins result a one-piece goblin armour made out of steel?

Update: Second question: is it possible to modify the bonus stats of the undead? If I remember correctly, they get an increased stats when reanimated.

vjmdhzgr:
If you give goblins steel and access to the full suits of armor, then it will result in them sometimes wearing steel suits of full armor. I don't think there's much testing on what exactly the AI prefers when choosing what armor to wear as there's normally just one breastplate armor, even in very big mods, but I'd say it seems likely that there'll be 50% of goblins wearing that, and 50% wearing normal breastplates. Then for the material, it's already known that AI just chooses material completely random from whatever they can use. So goblins currently choose between copper or iron for their armor, adding steel would mean that they choose between copper, iron, and steel, making 33% of goblins wearing steel armor. This would mean that in the end each goblin has a 16.5% chance of wearing steel full body armor.

The first thing to get them to wear it more often is to remove their access to breastplates which is quite easy and would result in them always wearing full body armor. However making them no longer use copper and iron can be quite difficult, and I don't know exactly how to do it, but I think it should be fine if you just leave them with all the materials so not every goblin has really really strong armor.

After all this however, there is the potential problem of dwarves also being able to wear this steel full body armor. Now normally the low quality craftsmanship and materials of goblin armor means there's no real reason to use goblin armor, but if you got steel full body armor, even though the item quality would be low, I imagine the benefit of having another layer of steel armor over most of your body outweighs the cost of lower quality armor on just the torso which can be made up for with chainmail. Now this seems t be a personal mod so you can simply not have your dwarves wear the armor, but if it's ever released you might want to change the [BODY_SIZE] of goblins to something outside of the range of 50,000-70,000 as within that size range dwarves will be able to wear the armor.

darkflagrance:
You should be able to force any metal by firstly removing mining from their entity, and secondly giving them a custom workshop with a reaction that spawns the desired metal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version