Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wearable Weaponry  (Read 1218 times)

AgentNos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wearable Weaponry
« on: October 29, 2015, 06:44:53 am »

Ok, so I had the idea of modding in knuckledusters/brass knuckles, but instead of making them a weapon, they're a piece of hand armour. This basically makes your punches more powerful but also allows you to have full use of your hands.
I've gotten them to work as weapons and gotten them to work as armour, but only as separate incarnations (by changing the tag from [ITEM_GLOVES] to [ITEM_WEAPON]. The attack is visible when it is a weapon, but not when it is an armour piece, and I'm not sure if there's a way around it or if it's impossible to have an attack attached to a wearable item :/

raws for those who are interested (these are the weapon version, the armour version is just what I said above):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wearable Weaponry
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 07:14:05 am »

Yeah no that's impossible.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 02:46:29 pm »

1. Create a "spiked knuckles" armor and a "knuckle spikes" weapon.
2. Create a DFHack script that creates a "knuckle spikes" item and forcibly equips a given dwarf with them.
3. Make the script trigger when a dwarf equips "spiked knuckles".

You would also need a script to remove the weapon, and possible one to destroy any extras, plus something to make sure the weapon can't be used without the glove and vice-versa. It's totally possible, but would be a real PITA. For one thing you would need to make sure that both items are listed in the dwarf uniform to keep them from removing the unlisted item (it may be possible to automatically edit any uniform that includes one of the items to include the other, but I don't know how to modify a uniform from DFHack).

Anyway, unless you are a serious DFHack wizard forget it.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 06:52:41 pm »

This basically makes your punches more powerful but also allows you to have full use of your hands
..Have you ever used a real brass knuckle? You really don't have full use of your hands unless you take the thing off.
They're popular because they're reasonably discrete and use virtually no material compared to a proper weapon, not because they're convenient.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 05:21:08 pm »

To be fair, they are illegal in America...
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 12:58:17 am »

To be fair, they are illegal in America...

I think it depends on the state.  Nunchucks are illegal in some states but not others. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.