Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How does the vampire transformation work exactly?  (Read 2491 times)

vbuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How does the vampire transformation work exactly?
« on: August 20, 2015, 06:54:20 pm »

So I've recently started playing Adventure Mode and I'm having a blast. But the demise of my longest living character so far has left me wondering about the mechanics of turning into a vampire. Here is the context:

I was travelling through a human town when I noticed and "*" next to the keep and proceeded to investigate it. The culprit was a vampire. Not a regular vampire, but a Elite Crossbowman Serpent Man Vampire who was oddly not equipped with a crossbow and attempted to flee my party. After chasing it across town, I finally managed to wrestle him by the tail and pin him down. My adventurer couldn't land a single blow to the agile beast, whose scratches were deftly parried by my shield. My allies, however, took advantage of the distraction and proceeded to madly hack at the snake man, who managed to ignore all his grievous wounds. Unfortunately for me, eventually the attacks crippled both of the beasts arms, who landed a lucky bite at my neck, rupturing an artery and injecting its foul venom in my bloodstream. So there I was, lying on the ground on the verge of certain death. In desperation, I decided to embrace the vile curse of vampirism and drank from the beast's blood splatter over my armor. But it was to no avail, faintness overcame me and my life ended by blood loss.

So, the question is: why didn't my adventurer turn into a vampire? Should I have drunk more than blood splatters? The transformation is not instantaneous and I died of blood loss before it could be completed? Or I did in fact turn into one but it was already too late?

I intend on dedicating the next adventure on hunting the beast down. Apparently Snake Men vampires are way more dangerous fun  than I have anticipated. 

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Re: How does the vampire transformation work exactly?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 07:28:54 pm »

I believe vampires can still bleed to death, so you may have been one but it didn't help.
I think drinking spatters is now generally useless (used to be you could sustain a character by basically licking water off your body when thirsty), so you might have to drink from a "pool" of vampire blood, or pick some up and drink it.
The transformation should be instantaneous, but perhaps the "ingestion" interaction trigger doesn't register every time you eat or drink something - assuming that drinking spatter can turn you into a vampire in the first place.

Serpent/Reptile men vampires are pretty tough. I chased one across the desert until I was tired, then he turned around and bit me in the throat. Tricky devil.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 12:26:48 am »

I'm pretty sure drinking vampire blood still works, otherwise I imagine there woulld have been quite a few more threads about being unable to become a vampire in the year since that change. I'm pretty sure what happened was just that being a vampire didn't matter as it does nothing about bleeding to death.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 01:04:42 am »

There is no real transformation into a vampire in the sense of becoming another creature, so no free healing from a transformation. Vampires also die from blood loss, so this wouldnt have saved you if it had worked.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 12:42:22 pm »

I'm pretty sure drinking vampire blood still works, otherwise I imagine there woulld have been quite a few more threads about being unable to become a vampire in the year since that change.
Yes and no. It still works, but not with all vampires. For some reason, a world with a sufficiently long history (upwards of 500, I think) will have vampires, particularly animal-men, with non-vampiric blood.

I'm not sure why this happens, though I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with cultists.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 03:40:00 pm »

Definitely has to be a pool of blood for it to work, btw.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 07:37:13 pm »

It has to be water mixed with blood for it to work. Dump out your waterskin in some vamp blood.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 07:43:02 pm »

^Not quite. I've drank pure pools and turned.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 07:49:01 pm »

I'm reasonably certain that licking vampiric blood off your weapon, or body, should suffice.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 08:05:31 pm »

Licking spatters off weapons worked for me.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 10:53:03 am »

Biting out their throats and swallowing whatever blood got in my mouth worked for me.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Duul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 08:10:09 pm »

Vampires can still bleed out, unlike other undead.
This has been the cause for many a godly adventurer death, especially when fire is involved.

vbuss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 08:44:41 pm »

For some reason I wrongly assumed that since in common lore vampires are technically undead you couldn't bleed out. But I was wondering, what about poisons? Would've the snake man venom killed me if not for the bleeding?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 07:58:41 pm »

Biting out their throats and swallowing whatever blood got in my mouth worked for me.

+1
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Duul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2015, 12:49:07 am »

For some reason I wrongly assumed that since in common lore vampires are technically undead you couldn't bleed out. But I was wondering, what about poisons? Would've the snake man venom killed me if not for the bleeding?

Since vampires are for all intents and purposes undead, mortal diseases and poisons will not harm them. I'm not sure about syndromes from forgotten beasts, titans, or demons, but based on how many times I've been covered in their goo and remained unaffected I would say that no, they won't hurt you either.

I have absolutely no idea about evil clouds/rain with harmful effects. I know that a vampire adventurer can become an evil thrall vampire, but since I've had very little real experience with evil dusts outside of that one situation, I can't say for sure whether other evil effects can harm a vampire.
Pages: [1] 2