Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf State of Mind [Tiles + Optional Graphics][10x10][42.xx]  (Read 16316 times)

HelloLion

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:FOOLISH]
    • View Profile
Dwarf State of Mind [Tiles + Optional Graphics][10x10][42.xx]
« on: August 06, 2014, 04:02:45 pm »

Long, long ago I became interested in creating (and releasing) a tile/graphic set of some kind. this idea passed through several incarnations, starting with more graphics heavy sets, and eventually becoming more and more minimalist as my taste changed and I started playing with ASCII more. Originally I had been working in 16x16 and later in 12x12, but once I switched to playing with ASCII I found myself in love with 10x10. Something about this size offered the right amount of resolution to my eyes; big enough to get some detail, small enough to be nice and simple (and "retro"). After trying the 10x10 tilesets currently available I noticed that all of the ones I found seemed to be based on a fairly "purist" mindset. Now, don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with a pure ASCII experience. I play lots of games that are pure ASCII anyway, so it's not foreign to me by any means. Still though, I found myself eventually pining for certain conveniences and decorative qualities of graphic sets. So I decided to make this tileset as a compromise by compiling parts of various 10x10 tilesets that I liked as well as hand drawing things that I couldn't find anything satisfactory for to create something simple, but enjoyable to look at (including a little Tile Magic on the floors and walls) without sacrificing the simplicity and elegance of the ASCII aesthetic as much as possible. The result, which I am proud to present, is Dwarf State of Mind.

This tileset wouldn't be possible (or at least would have been a lot more work) without the work of others. Taffer's Tileset was the main inspiration for/jumping off point for this set, and most of the tiles came from his set. Other sets I've used/modified parts of are: Vherid's "Ra" tileset, Tocky's Tileset, Anikki's Tileset, and MLC (I believe just the flask). Vherid also created the Mishka colorscheme, which is my recommended scheme for this set. Thanks also to Ironhand for answering some dumb questions I had about Tile Magic a long time ago, back when I started this crazy pipe dream. And a finally shouts out to Jolly Bastion and Grim Fortress, both of which were used as inspiration at times.

This set is still a work in progress and will likely continue to evolve. Feedback is appreciated and will help with the evolution process.

SCREENSHOTS:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

DOWNLOAD

This tileset features a heavily modified d_init, so please download the DFFD version (in the link above) instead of just saving the image for best results. The download also includes Vherid's Mishka colorscheme, which is again, my recommended colorscheme for the set. The download also includes (slightly wonky) optional dwarf/human/goblin/elf graphics for you to use or not. Also included is a 20x20 version of the tileset for people who like that.

Anyone is free to include my set in packs and such, and if you wish to modify it in any way please just credit me (and also credit those who I have borrowed from if you don't mind). Also, if any of the original content creators for any of the sets I've borrowed from DON'T want me using their tiles and such please just contact me and I will find a suitable replacement.

EDIT 12/17/2015:

Updated to not conflict with the changes to tiles in 42.xx versions. Sheets have a unique graphic and sky graphics have been rearranged on the tilesheet.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 01:08:25 pm by HelloLion »

mete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf State of Mind [Tiles + Optional Graphics][10x10]
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 09:15:36 pm »

Really nice, good job.

Also, you should fix the download link, remove quotes and you miss a : in http://

HelloLion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 09:22:47 pm »

Thank you, both for the kind words, and for the helping me realize I broke the download link through my own hasty foolishness!

HelloLion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 07:07:11 am »

Head's up! I hastily uploaded an incomplete download (that also included some unnecessary .xcf files and stuff) the first time! I am so dumb! If you have downloaded my tileset PLEASE DOWNLOAD AGAIN and you will find a much better cleaned up, organized version that is easier to install and has all the files you actually need. Thank you.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 05:06:13 pm »

Very interesting.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 11:44:01 pm »

vherid!

outbackpenguin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 11:25:14 am »

Great work! I adore this tile set! it manages to capture the perfect balance of the original dwarfy aesthetic whilst still managing to look slightly more accessible, Great work! I love the color scheme. I registered for the forum specifically because I wanted to tell you how much I love it!

HelloLion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 02:57:34 pm »

Great work! I adore this tile set! it manages to capture the perfect balance of the original dwarfy aesthetic whilst still managing to look slightly more accessible, Great work! I love the color scheme. I registered for the forum specifically because I wanted to tell you how much I love it!

Thank you! I'm honored that you registered for the forum on my behalf. I will be continuing to work on the tileset to try and make it the best that it can be.

Also, speaking of working on the tileset, if anyone has a mod they'd like to see me support (with civ graphics or something) please let me know and I will look into doing so.

HelloLion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf State of Mind [Tiles + Optional Graphics][10x10][42.xx]
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 01:10:21 pm »

Dwarf State of Mind has been updated to be compliant with the changes brought by 42.xx. I believe all tiles should work correctly now. I've been using it and it seems to work just fine.

Graphics for humans/elves/goblins are included but are still slightly broken.

campakes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 03:03:24 am »

This may have been already answered somewhere.. but please help a newb out. How does one use this? I downloaded the file, and pasted things where I thought they should go, but now all I've got is regular DF graphics with a new color scheme.. Though I do rather like these colors, how do I make DF use the new graphics? Please and thank you.

burned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • burnedFX
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 07:01:04 am »

This may have been already answered somewhere.. but please help a newb out. How does one use this? I downloaded the file, and pasted things where I thought they should go, but now all I've got is regular DF graphics with a new color scheme.. Though I do rather like these colors, how do I make DF use the new graphics? Please and thank you.

It sounds like you figured out most of the steps, but the one you're missing is the need to update the init.txt file. In this case you'd want to use "dsom.png" or "dsmo20.png" depending on your size preference.

Hope that helps.

DFMA Profile | burnedfx Graphic Set

The process of delving into the black abyss is to me the keenest form of fascination. - H. P. Lovecraft
The Delvers
. . .the middle ground between light and shadow . . . - Rod Serling
The Delvers' Podcast