Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you handle games that piss you off to no end?  (Read 1267 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you handle games that piss you off to no end?
« on: August 21, 2015, 08:57:20 am »

I have to play CS-Go and DOTA 2... and they annoy me to no end in pretty much every single possible way.

How do you handle games that just flat out piss you off?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 11:33:25 am by Neonivek »

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: How do you handle games that piss you off to no end?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 08:59:17 am »

I don't play them.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 09:01:02 am »

... that would be the answer, yes. If you don't like it, especially to that extent, don't play it. There's not really a way to improve the experience of playing something you detest.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 09:23:33 am »

Put it down and walk away. Perhaps take some joy in deleting the game's files, and then find something I do enjoy playing.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 09:26:25 am »

I have to play CS-Go and DOTA 2
No you don't. You don't have to play them. Why would you play games that you don't enjoy?

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 10:34:41 am »

I have to play CS-Go and DOTA 2... and they annoy me to no end in pretty much every single possible way.

How do you handle games that just flat out piss you off?

This is really a general life advice question about how to deal with frustration. There are different strategies.

In my experience the most helpful is to pay attention to your own responses. You have to recognize when you're getting frustrated/annoyed/angry, and then think to yourself something like, "Ok, I'm getting mad because my teammates are constantly feeding. What can I do about it?" Then think about strategies like letting your teammate be bait, or politely asking your teammate to follow you on some more useful goal (if you speak Portuguese/Russian), or some other useful response to the situation.

If there is no useful response to the situation - say in CSGO someone got a crazy headshot on you as soon as you went around the corner, or someone landed a triple citadel on you in World of Warships at a crazy angle, or someone hit a one-outer in Hold'Em or Hearthstone - then you have to recognize, "There was nothing I could have done, so there's nothing to be mad about." Situations like this are rare in most games nowadays but undeniably still happen (last time I was in Vegas, I got all my money in pre-flop, heads up, while holding AA. My opponent had 22. He hit a 2. It just happens.) If you can't accept that sometimes you did the right thing but didn't win, then you need to spend some more time learning to reflect and controlling your emotions.

In the short run you can try something like just having a small token that is meant to remind you, "STOP. Don't get mad. Think." It can even be something like a coin or card that says "STOP" on it. Learning to do it is a process, and it's useful in life overall and not just in games.

DOTA 2 and CSGO aren't "bad" games, but sometimes you can learn that a game is a bad game by paying attention to what's frustrating and then realizing that the game is just random dumb bullshit (or that it has those elements). EU4 is like this with regencies, for example. Matchmaking can be that way in WoWS, for example. Once you're thinking about that, you can decide if the game is otherwise fun enough to put up with the parts of it that aren't fun. If your problems in DOTA 2 relate to playing solo matchmaking, then maybe you need to find more reliable people to play with.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 10:37:38 am by ZeroGravitas »

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 10:38:05 am »

No you don't. You don't have to play them. Why would you play games that you don't enjoy?

You should try to engage with the OP's question instead of arguing with his premises.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 10:41:47 am »

This sums up everything I would say.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 11:19:37 am »

It isn't that I don't enjoy them, though I tend to never ever play them, it is that the vast majority of the time I just end up pissed off...

In fact usually what stops me playing is the fact that I am pissed off at the game.

But I have to learn to play them for a friend >_<

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 11:21:26 am »

I like challange.  I like getting better.  I like beating people and bragging about it.  That would be why I play a game I hate.

But I dont care for online stuff much.  Never have.

I guess you dont have to play those particular games with him.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 11:26:24 am »

It is the only games that person particularly likes... unfortunately.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 11:27:29 am »

(removed -- please relax or refrain from posting)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 12:48:03 pm by Toady One »