Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Build materials for the archive:

Make it hard to build, I want to work for it. (Platinum, Gold)
- 10 (22.2%)
Make it normal to build, I want to use it often. (Steel, Gold)
- 20 (44.4%)
Make it easy to build, I want it NOW! (Non-economic Rock)
- 15 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: The Great Archive - minimod that lets you open legends mode from your fortress  (Read 7965 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

What does it do?
The great archive is a workshop that allows your dwarves to open Legends-Mode while playing Fortress-Mode. This way you can read up on the world you created, without closing the game and fiddling with your safe files.

>>> Download <<<

How does it work?
You will notice a new workshop in your build-menu: "Great Archive". You need 4 golden statues and 1 platinum cabinet for it; it's build by any architect. It has one job: "Read the legends of this world", which opens legends mode; the job requires no skill, is finished instantly and can be done by any dwarf.

How do I install it?
You drag and drop the hack and raw folder from the download into your DF installation; you need the newest DF, 40.24, and dfhack. Now you have the script and the files; but you still need to teach your civilization to build the workshop and let dfhack know when to ues it.

Open your DwarfFortress/raw/objects/entity_default.txt and add these lines to your dwarven civilization:
[PERMITTED_BUILDING:GREAT_ARCHIVE]
[PERMITTED_REACTION:OPEN_LEGENDS]

Open your DwarfFortress/raw/onLoad.init and add this line to it:
modtools/reaction-trigger -reactionName OPEN_LEGENDS -command [ open-legends ]

That's it!

Do I need to gen a new world?
Yes, you do.

Credits:
 - Mifki: the initial dfhack lines.
 - Lethosor: the open-legends script.
 - Meph: Workshop and reaction.

PS: Had a tiny strange mood, thought this would be a neat idea after I read the forum post about the script. Hope you enjoy the little bit of immersion that it gives. If the gold/platinum items are too much trouble, you can always open legends mode by simply typing "open-legends" (without "") into the dfhack console.

Cheers,
Meph
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 01:32:24 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Reserved for stuff, for example asking PeridexisErrant if you want/need this for the StarterPack. :P
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

Meph, I'd suggest changing it so it's any old cabinet instead. Platinum is hard to come by.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Meph, I'd suggest changing it so it's any old cabinet instead. Platinum is hard to come by.
Which was the intention. I'll add a poll.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile

This is fantastic. Has it been tested sufficiently? This sounds like the kind of thing that would crash a lot.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

This is fantastic. Has it been tested sufficiently? This sounds like the kind of thing that would crash a lot.
I tested, no crashes. As far as I know, PeridexisErrant even added the script to the StarterPack.

mifki

• Bay Watcher
  • works secretly...
    • View Profile
    • mifki

Which was the intention. I'll add a poll.

That would be fine if you couldn't just call the script from console, but since you can anyway, I don't think it should be that hard to build.
Also, when thinking of archive, I imaging something.. not shiny gold and platinum:)

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile

Looks great! 

I certainly like the idea, though if you want to build up a Starter Pack mini-mod collection (yes please) there's some formatting issues for best results with PyLNP.  Here's the reformatted version.  Details on the mod format are available here; the short version is that any changed files should be included changed, you should use a manifest.json, and only stuff under raw/ (and data/speech/) will be used.  I'm happy to help out if you're interested, and/or explain exactly why that format was chosen.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

boogiemanspud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I agree, platinum seems too hard to get.  I think it would be more useful to be able to be made from cheaper materials.  I think it's more important for a mod like this to be accessible.  Putting artificial barriers on it just means it won't get used or be as useful.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Looks great! 

I certainly like the idea, though if you want to build up a Starter Pack mini-mod collection (yes please) there's some formatting issues for best results with PyLNP.  Here's the reformatted version.  Details on the mod format are available here; the short version is that any changed files should be included changed, you should use a manifest.json, and only stuff under raw/ (and data/speech/) will be used.  I'm happy to help out if you're interested, and/or explain exactly why that format was chosen.
I know; that's why I asked. Before I make the extra work, I wanted to double check if you even wanted to have it.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I agree, platinum seems too hard to get.  I think it would be more useful to be able to be made from cheaper materials.  I think it's more important for a mod like this to be accessible.  Putting artificial barriers on it just means it won't get used or be as useful.
You can always use the script directly (or bind it to a key).

Yeah - that's why the script is 60 lines (currently) instead of 1.

By the way, I just discovered that this script breaks the help key, so I pushed a fix for that (repo). It's not a major issue, since the default screen is the same help screen you'd typically find in fortress mode (which isn't actually what you'd see in reclaim or adventure mode), but it's better than doing nothing.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is AWESOME!
OK, so I have this crazy idea about book content that involves reading parts of Legends mode and now with this tool, that crazy idea is a little less impossible.

My idea is that a book's title creates a quick search of legends mode pertaining to the subject of the title.  However many pages of the book = the number of lines from a random point that is included in the book as content.  Generally, a book would start at the beginning of whatever subject was in the title and if there was more to the subject than the book had "pages", then the next book to be written about that subject would become "volume II" in the set and pick up where the last one left off.  This way, all those books written by necros and demons would all link to actual pre-generated content.  What would be very interesting, is that only those parts of history that book-writers wrote about would become knowable history, except by carvings, statues or tombstones. 
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Bosa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just an idea, but what about expanding the plant fiber industry to make paper in addition to cloth, and then using a significant amount of paper plus standard building materials to construct the archive. Possibly adding one more step if that isn't difficult and adding things like books and scrolls made from paper as building items instead. Also, and I'm not sure if this would be possible or not, but make two separate jobs for the archive, the first for recording legends, and the second for reading legends. The first would require either paper or book/scroll, depending on the difficulty you're looking for, and the second would be the same as it is now, with the exception that it shows you the state legends was in when it was last recorded. This would make building and maintaining the archive somewhat difficult while still allowing it to be built on every map, since I'm pretty sure you may not always get access to gold and platinum.

Some other ideas:
+Use plant or silk cloth instead of paper.
+Bind books with leather.
+Wrap scrolls around wood logs, or a new craft item.
+Use dye in the recording.
+Have recording legends train record keeper.

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile

... It sounds like you want to implement a big chunk of the forthcoming DF version within a month or two of release. It's an interesting idea, but I'd wait until all that is natively supported.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hard is fine for masterwork, where we have Alchemy and Religion and can get any metal we desire with a bit of work.  Seems a bit rough for a regular game though.  It would only be available with trading for most embarks.