Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Few bridge improvements.  (Read 827 times)

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Few bridge improvements.
« on: August 22, 2015, 04:48:52 am »

Sorry if theese suggestions were somewhere before.
1. Make bridges non-magical. They shouldn't shrink into nothing. If you have 3x3 retracting bridge then you have to dig place for it to retract to. *of course you can cover it with floors*. If you have rasing bridge you must have a gap in the wall high enough to fit the bridge.
2. Make bridge a complex building. You need a bridge, two gear assemblies and ropes to raise bridge up and down. *I saw a suggestion about ropes*. Players need to build gear assemblies separately and connect it to bridges with ropes/chains. And levels should be connected to those gears not to bridges directly.
3. New type of bridges. Bridges which moves aside into the wall in any directions or opens like a gate or door

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
Re: Few bridge improvements.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 09:41:34 am »

I know that more realistic moving multi-tile constructions are planned, but I haven't seen any specifics. I assume that well-precedented things like portcullises and large doors (more than 1 tile wide) are a given, and I also expect raising/lowering and sliding walls. I'd also like to see a complete inability to make drawbridges out of stone, because that's flatly ridiculous (except perhaps for a solid slab of cast obsidian). I concur with having a "working area" for each bridge (or any other moving multitile), where things like the winches & counterweights are stored/operated.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 09:56:56 am »

My suggestion is based more on current functionality. Now we have bridge of any size that turns into a wall-like structure hallways 1 tyle high. That's wrong and can be changed easily. Just add on construction check of above empty tiles.  And 10x10 bridge turns into a wall 10 tiles high.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 01:40:43 pm »

Moving fortress parts are planned and when they're implemented, perhaps all bridges can just be moving constructions. Moving floors, for example.

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 02:01:28 pm »

I hope I won't die of old age earlier. But my suggestions actually can be done without such a massive feature like moving blocks.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 10:10:52 am »

My suggestion is based more on current functionality. Now we have bridge of any size that turns into a wall-like structure hallways 1 tyle high. That's wrong and can be changed easily. Just add on construction check of above empty tiles.  And 10x10 bridge turns into a wall 10 tiles high.
We don't have multi z-level structures yet.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 02:33:07 pm »

Closest I can think of is the way wells extend vertically when in use.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 03:21:37 pm »

Exactly

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 10:37:29 am »

Those don't block pathing, so I'm not sure it's quite the same. On the other hand, vertical axles don't either, so it might just be a designation thing.

The other issue is that if we're implying the drawbridge is swinging, you'd need to check obstacles in the swing arc. Current version just folds accordion, or something. It could be ignored for now, but honestly Toady will probably just end up rewriting bridges entirely with moving fortress sections.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 10:40:13 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?