Dwarf Fortress > DF Modding

Are there any mods for 40.24 which improve farming?

(1/2) > >>

Urist Tilaturist:
A simple question - are there any available mods for 40.24 which make farming more authentic? Making a fort overflow with food is a bit easy in the stock game, and things like crop rotation and soil degradation are not really dealt with at all.

Lymia:
Something like that wouldn't be possible with raw modding, at least. The best you can do is lower yields to make it not be so easy... but eggs are even easier, so. Hrm. Something like crop rotation/etc might be possible with a dfhack mod. Though I'm not sure if they've found the data structures for growing plants in fields and stuff.

Jazzeraint:
The basics, which are in several mods (and in some raws I could post for you), is in removing seasons from many plants and in increasing crop growth times. It changes farming significantly, as you get far fewer crops per season.

However, Dwarves will still only eat about 2 meals a season, so you can easily outproduce your food needs.

Reducing egg clutch sizes helps further, but given the current booze production to plant production rates, you can booze cook nigh infinitely.

The best simple solution is just using the scripts by omniclasm to remove food regularly: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=150782.0

I'm going to look into a custom reaction for booze production myself to reduce booze overflowing, and combine that with long growth durations and limited seasons to see if I can make food a more noticeable challenge. If you're using lots of herbalism, fishing, and/or trading for food, though, you can always easily have a surplus - ergo, use omniclasm's scripts for a good time.

If you want to simulate reality more, then you could designate fields to be fallow during certain seasons, and require that you fertilize crops at least one season out of the year to avoid field depletion. That can let you get it done without any modding at all.

Lymia:

--- Quote from: Jazzeraint on August 25, 2015, 07:14:52 pm ---The basics, which are in several mods (and in some raws I could post for you), is in removing seasons from many plants and in increasing crop growth times. It changes farming significantly, as you get far fewer crops per season.

--- End quote ---

Interesting. I don't think that'd help much by removing seasons from plants alone, but, if you make it so barely anything grows during fall or winter, that might have some significant impact.

--- Quote from: Jazzeraint on August 25, 2015, 07:14:52 pm ---However, Dwarves will still only eat about 2 meals a season, so you can easily outproduce your food needs.

Reducing egg clutch sizes helps further, but given the current booze production to plant production rates, you can booze cook nigh infinitely.
--- End quote ---

I gotta wonder now. Are any food items fixed such that you can't modify the raws on them so they can't be eaten raw? It might be possible to set things up so that all food needs to be cooked, and create a custom cooking reaction (or something like it) so you need, say, 5 units of raw food for every unit of meal.

Jazzeraint:

It makes all plants die when the season no longer allows their growth. Combined with signicantly longer growth times, it reduces output per year signicantly.

Custom cooking reactions is an interesting idea. I'll start testing that out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version