Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Dungeon Set v1.03 [24x24 TWBT 43.03]  (Read 135743 times)

DAOWAce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Set v1.02 [24x24 TWBT 42.06]
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2016, 05:58:46 am »

I'm.. not seeing any difference between the files?

They both look identical no matter my image viewer, and ingame it doesn't appear to have changed anything.  They're only very slightly different size in bytes.

I had tried to resort to increasing LGRAY after Meph's post (thanks; discovered this http://kurokikaze.github.io/cinnabar/), but it brightened up other areas of the game with not too much change in visibility.  Seems like by default the text color is controlled by BLACK (which shouldn't be changed?), and the background highlighting is the LGRAY.  However, increasing LGRAY actually made both the normal text and highlighting brighter, which didn't make much sense..

I guess it's different with this graphic set because the font is actually its own stylized color and not white/purple, so adjusting colors can't be the solution?

Shame the game's text colors are hardcoded to be shared with the tile graphics.. would make it so easy to have custom preferences if they were split.

And as for the ramp thing; the current icon is just hard for me to see.  Upon re-inspection, it seems it's just a flat icon for a ramp indicator, it does not have a separate indication for up or down like I initially thought was there. -Edit: Turns out multilevel is effectively removing the slightly different visible effect for "down ramp", turning it into an empty hole. - That's kind of the problem; I have to check what direction it's going.  Add onto that the fact that some tiles are very dark (ex. obsidian) and it's just pretty hard to even see that it's a ramp indicator.  Maybe I'll start to get used to it after extended play, but right now it's a problem for me (especially after watching so many LPs and tutorials where everyone has clear triangle indicators).

Personally, I think I'll have to brighten up everything by ~20% to cope with my monitor calibration (black is actually black; not dark grey like most people), just because this tileset is quite a dark one.

Edit: Did take some sample images to showcase the problem for other people:

Text highlight: http://i.imgur.com/u1s78gk.png  (I didn't even notice I was highlighting somebody for many hours of my first play session; thought it was a top border)
Ramps and dark text on main UI: http://i.imgur.com/1jar1JU.png   (the ramps just look like pitch black boxes on my screen)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 10:44:59 am by DAOWAce »

utkonos

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleepy dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2016, 02:14:41 pm »

Looks like I messed up the link, sorry. This should do the trick.
In game it should look like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As for the ramps, there's no downward ramp at all when you use multilevel, it is like that for every tileset. So if you see a ramp, it's always an upward one, either on this level, or on a level below. You can tweak shadow and fog color/density to make levels more distinct in DungeonSet/raw/onLoad.init (more info about it here)
PS Your second picture doesn't work for some reason. If you have a picture with obsidian ramp, or even better - a save file I can use to reproduce a problem, it'll be very helpful.

DAOWAce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2016, 10:49:49 am »

Accidentally deleted the wrong file on imgur; had to retake the shot: http://i.imgur.com/1jar1JU.png  (also fixed above link)  Note this is with my 20% increased brightness, unlike before.

I guess the videos I was watching all had multilevel disabled. Shame, I really love it (plus it kinda screws with the graphic set if it's disabled by introducing ASCII characters on lower levels).

Will test the updated font file; thanks!

Edit: Wow, it changes some of the colors.  That's really interesting.  Whyyyy is DF coded this way?!  Still, I can read things reasonable enough, so I'll accept the compromise here.  Any more and it'll probably totally wreck the color of certain things.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 10:54:53 am by DAOWAce »

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2016, 11:47:41 am »

utkonos, are you okay with your graphics pack being included in Lazy Newb Packs?

utkonos

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleepy dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2016, 01:23:13 pm »

utkonos, are you okay with your graphics pack being included in Lazy Newb Packs?
yup, sure.

Keep in mind, that my set depends on TWBT which isn't updated for 43.04 yet. Currently I'm working on non-TWBT version of set (using same RAWs) but it is not done yet. 43.04 update with a few fixes is done but I'll post it when TWBT would be published to avoid any misunderstanding with versions.

PS: I don't know if it's important for you, but this set uses slightly modified RAWs from GemSet (tile numbers and colors of plants/gems, colors of some stones are changed for aesthetic purposes).

utkonos

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleepy dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2016, 06:54:24 pm »

Ok, here's an update 1.03 for DF 0.43.03. Keep in mind, that DFHack is still in alpha stage, so it can be buggy.
Small changes were made:
- fixed interface color and made shadow more distinct for multilevel users
- added patch for those of you who likes classic triangle ramps
- some tweaks and bugfixes

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Set v1.03 [24x24 TWBT 43.03]
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2016, 04:29:30 am »

too bad it only looks this good when using your colour-scheme, but i need one for red-green-blindness (more explicit greens and reds to distinguish between yellow and green or orange and bright green).
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2016, 05:08:04 am »

You might try the color-blind version of Dawnbringer:

Edit: Preview picture
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 01:36:25 pm by jecowa »

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2016, 07:14:47 am »

thanks, i'll try it.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

utkonos

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleepy dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2016, 01:26:42 pm »

Unfortunately (or fortunately  ???) I can't really make colorblind scheme look good myself. However, if scheme posted by jecowa works fine, please let me know, so I'll add it to the main post for those who needs it (or send me a pm so we can find a way to do a good colorblind scheme if you willing to).

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2016, 05:42:25 am »

the trick is to create colours like the 16 colours palette.
they are mostly clean and unconfusable. if looked at the rgb codes, they form strong contrasts in each subpixel eg. green = 0R 255G 0B
don't use pastel tones, as they contain less light and the people already have not enough properly working cone cells https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cone_cell for that color.
even in the already contained colorblind scheme, i get a headache when searching for an embark-place.
with all those flashing green X and that one yellow X, i have real trouble finding where the yellow one is.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2016, 09:56:29 am »

It's still probably hard to design a color scheme for the color blind without knowing if two colors look good together for a color-blind person.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2016, 03:06:19 pm »

even in the already contained colorblind scheme, i get a headache when searching for an embark-place.
with all those flashing green X and that one yellow X, i have real trouble finding where the yellow one is.
I have this problem with normal color vision in the default palette.  Some of DF's color choices are simply unfortunate.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2016, 03:18:32 am »

Unfortunately (or fortunately  ???) I can't really make colorblind scheme look good myself. However, if scheme posted by jecowa works fine, please let me know, so I'll add it to the main post for those who needs it (or send me a pm so we can find a way to do a good colorblind scheme if you willing to).

Making a colorblind scheme isn't too difficult. Take any existing scheme, make an image out of the colors (like the preview jecowa showed) then run it through a daltonize filter. Afterwards, use a colorpicker on the image to get the daltonized colors. There are browser plugins, online tools and photoshop plugins that let you daltonize images. I'd recommend searching for one you like and using that.

Now that I think about it, someone could write a simple tool that daltonizes DF colorscheme files. It's just a simple algorithm that recolors an image to increase the contrast between red and green. A checkbox option in utilities like the LNP for colorblind-deficiency, maybe? Hmm!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 03:20:14 am by DragonDePlatino »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2016, 04:17:02 am »

Here you go. colorblind scheme.

Code: [Select]
for colorblind people
[BLACK_R:0]
[BLACK_G:0]
[BLACK_B:0]
[BLUE_R:48]
[BLUE_G:51]
[BLUE_B:106]
[GREEN_R:52]
[GREEN_G:91]
[GREEN_B:10]
[CYAN_R:97]
[CYAN_G:142]
[CYAN_B:225]
[RED_R:174]
[RED_G:73]
[RED_B:113]
[MAGENTA_R:117]
[MAGENTA_G:75]
[MAGENTA_B:164]
[BROWN_R:211]
[BROWN_G:142]
[BROWN_B:88]
[LGRAY_R:134]
[LGRAY_G:146]
[LGRAY_B:153]
[DGRAY_R:77]
[DGRAY_G:73]
[DGRAY_B:79]
[LBLUE_R:89]
[LBLUE_G:117]
[LBLUE_B:188]
[LGREEN_R:109]
[LGREEN_G:157]
[LGREEN_B:12]
[LCYAN_R:109]
[LCYAN_G:177]
[LCYAN_B:158]
[LRED_R:219]
[LRED_G:112]
[LRED_B:166]
[LMAGENTA_R:215]
[LMAGENTA_G:140]
[LMAGENTA_B:234]
[YELLOW_R:219]
[YELLOW_G:215]
[YELLOW_B:95]
[WHITE_R:223]
[WHITE_G:235]
[WHITE_B:206]
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 04:33:12 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7