Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Declaring War  (Read 2114 times)

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Declaring War
« on: August 26, 2015, 09:44:28 am »

If you are playing the Mountainhome in fortress mode, you should be able to have your civilization declare war and offer peace.

Peace offers should not necessarily be accepted.

Declaring war should require a living monarch or possibly a living general.

Offering peace should require some sort of diplomat (outpost liaison?) be present.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 09:47:11 am by Callista »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Declaring War
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 09:51:17 am »

I agree.  +1
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 10:13:59 am »

+1... short, simple, makes sense

PastequeSauvage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 05:09:23 pm »

That would be awesome to send a outpost liaison and receive back his head.   :o

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 06:10:33 am »

This sort of brings up odd issues of monarch agency.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 07:37:28 am »

This sort of brings up odd issues of monarch agency.
Perhaps another instance where it's appropriate for the player to be able to act through a noble? I guess it could take the Fun out of ending up with a mad king or similar.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 09:20:04 am »

I believe this is already planned, as soon as we get armies that can march around the map and such, we can declare war. In the meantime just piss off the elves and let them come siege you.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 08:24:58 pm »

as soon as we get armies that can march around the map and such

we have those

unless by "we" you mean "dwarf mode in particular", which seems odd

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 08:31:01 pm »

Certainly planned with that ever distant army arc
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015, 12:48:58 am »

we are basically in the army arc right now

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2015, 10:41:59 am »

we are basically in the army arc right now
We're slowly leading up to it. This current update would probably be more caravany, but this include some things that will be needed for armies, and then starting scenarios will also be quite helpful for making armies though not necessary. I'd guess Toady starts on actual army stuff in five years.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Tlukle

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't you think my name is odd?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 09:41:15 pm »

I don't know that  that is the best idea because why should some random dwarf of a pitiful hillock be able to dictate policy for his entire nation. Is that not the kings job?
Alone on a hill I sat and thought oh what ever today might become not.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 10:20:48 pm »

I don't know that  that is the best idea because why should some random dwarf of a pitiful hillock be able to dictate policy for his entire nation. Is that not the kings job?

If you are playing the Mountainhome

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 11:36:12 pm »

I'm not so sure about this.  Currently, wars happen due to a clash of ethics.  Goblins and kobolds have ethics that cause them to be at constant war with everyone else (kidnapping and stealing).  In fact, you can make the goblins friendly by either deleting that tag or adding it to your dwarfs, you even get goblin caravans bringing troll fur socks in the winter (its actually already in the game, goblins are just always at war).  Elves declare war on the dorfs for cutting down trees, dorfs declare war on the elves for being dirty hippies (oh, and the whole cannibalism thing- dorfs respect remains of sentients).  Humans find slavery and torture acceptable, and don't mind if you kill a sapient for a good reason.  They also find collecting of trophies to be acceptable.  They do find EATING people to be abhorrent (like dorfs) so they often war with the elves too.  However, that trophy taking, killing sapients sometimes ok, and slavery stuff sometimes cause them to war with the dorfs. 

Again, all of the current wars are based on a conflict of ethics.  What happens when you want to declare war on a human civilization that doesn't collect trophies? Or could you declare war on another dwarven civlization? I dion't think your Urists would need a reason to butcher the elves, but they do sometimes bring gifts of giant tigers.  My point is this, just declaring war for shiggles doesn't fit into the game wanting you to declare war on infidels (extreme conflict of ethics) or acts of aggressiion (butchering caravans).

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 01:49:24 am »

[ETHIC:UNPROVOKED_WAR:]??
I think this'd be a good feature, but I like the idea of having a batshit king who declares war on another civ while you were enjoying the lull of peace. Or maybe a monarch could mandate a war (although, one bad thought vs a prolonged war, take your pick).

This would probably require the more abstract RAW defined roles (general, lieutenants, captains, forced administrators etc.) to become more tangible; I don't know if dwarf civs currently elect these, though I assume one of the above is responsible for the legends mode "were led by" statements in battles. Perhaps the ability to pick a general from your ranks, to replace the current one. Presumably the leaders of the civ's army would migrate along with the king, and the rest of his court (he already gets a party of elite guards, why not tack the general in there with him.)
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?
Pages: [1] 2